Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TARDISman posted:

No, you get something like 12 AP from each fight and by that point in the game you're needing something like 2000 AP per sphere level. The only real comfort is that your characters are probably strong enough that you can ignore most of the party damage rules like magic for the Flans.

Was worried that's how they do it :/ I guess drops like the various spheres are never bad to have at least. With the extract abilities you can make them drop whatever you want.

Also a tip to people doing stuff on the Expert sphere grid - doubling back on a path you already covered costs way less movement points. I think you can go back like, 4 nodes on one point? So don't be an idiot like me and go back one node at a time.

It's pretty useful because I've been intertwining paths a lot. Makes it pretty cool when a +4 strength sphere can be spread across Tidus, Auron and Wakka easily. The downside to this is that some of the characters overlap and get useless pretty quickly. Like, when Yuna does more damage than Lulu, and heals, and summons... I'm not switching in Lulu very often.

Also was there no White Magic that heals the whole party at once? Pray is a bit poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TARDISman posted:

No, you get something like 12 AP from each fight and by that point in the game you're needing something like 2000 AP per sphere level. The only real comfort is that your characters are probably strong enough that you can ignore most of the party damage rules like magic for the Flans.

You could also just Flee from every battle, the lack of battle load times makes FFX one of the easiest games to backtrack in.

So I just got lucky and got Lulu's Initiative weapon dropped from a Cactuar, do you get double the chance for a Pre-emptive Attack if two characters have Initiative or is it pointless to double up?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

He would be a giant Blitzball.

A blitzball nuke

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also was there no White Magic that heals the whole party at once? Pray is a bit poo poo.

Rikku using Al-Bhed Potions or anyone using Mega-Potions are your best bets for whole party healing. Hell, Al-Bheds end up being more efficient healing items than White Magic since it gives you 1000 HP and heals the more common status effects like Poison and Blind.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So, I lost my Sun Sigil. On my way back from getting it in 15 minutes, a Malboro or whatever ambushed me and I thought I could take him out. My team murdered each other with poison/berserk/confusion and I lost it.

I spent a good majority of the day trying to win it back, no dice so far. :suicide:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Quick FFXHD question. On the start screen of the UK disc version it has seperate options for X-2 and X-2 Last Mission. Which one should I be going for?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ShadeofDante posted:

So, I lost my Sun Sigil. On my way back from getting it in 15 minutes, a Malboro or whatever ambushed me and I thought I could take him out. My team murdered each other with poison/berserk/confusion and I lost it.

I spent a good majority of the day trying to win it back, no dice so far. :suicide:

For future reference, No Encounters is a godsend when dealing with annoying mini-games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

fronz posted:

A blitzball nuke

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Polite Tim posted:

Quick FFXHD question. On the start screen of the UK disc version it has seperate options for X-2 and X-2 Last Mission. Which one should I be going for?

You can play them in either order, but some lines of dialogue are left out of Last Mission depending on how far you are in the plot of the main game. So if that's your thing, you'd probably want to get at least one of the endings.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TARDISman posted:

Rikku using Al-Bhed Potions or anyone using Mega-Potions are your best bets for whole party healing. Hell, Al-Bheds end up being more efficient healing items than White Magic since it gives you 1000 HP and heals the more common status effects like Poison and Blind.

On my first run, Extractor dropped an Alchemy weapon for Rikku. It was beautiful. She got the Healer Overdrive mode by the time I hit Zanarkand.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

precision posted:

You could also just Flee from every battle, the lack of battle load times makes FFX one of the easiest games to backtrack in.

So I just got lucky and got Lulu's Initiative weapon dropped from a Cactuar, do you get double the chance for a Pre-emptive Attack if two characters have Initiative or is it pointless to double up?

it's 75% chance normal, 12.5% pre-emptive, 12.5% ambushed

intiative gives you 75% normal, 25% pre-emptive

doesn't stack with 2x initiative but still totally worth it. I usually customize initiative and first strike on someone and then swap them out for murder party

ShadeofDante posted:

so you completed the chocobo training and then decided to walk to a save sphere instead of riding a no encounters chocobo?? ouch

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
SO I have fully powered up everyone but Wakka's Ultimate Weapon. gently caress Blitzball. Anyone got tips for that? I am using the hide behind the goal trick when I am head but the problem is in getting ahead.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

mateo360 posted:

SO I have fully powered up everyone but Wakka's Ultimate Weapon. gently caress Blitzball. Anyone got tips for that? I am using the hide behind the goal trick when I am head but the problem is in getting ahead.

Do you have the Jecht Shot? Get the Jecht Shot.

Do you have the Airship? Get Brother on your team.

Basically if you're using any of the Besaid Aurochs that don't have a spheregrid you should start headhunting replacements because those dudes are pretty bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mateo360 posted:

Get Brother, try to get Nimrook from the Psyches, and let the good times roll. It'll still be long, but at least you'll barely have to worry about enemy teams.

I always keep Zev Ronso on my teams. Not because he's that good, but he's the only Ronso free agent and a decent shooter for a while, and then I keep him for sentimental value.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you have the Jecht Shot? Get the Jecht Shot.

Do you have the Airship? Get Brother on your team.

Basically if you're using any of the Besaid Aurochs that don't have a spheregrid you should start headhunting replacements because those dudes are pretty bad.

Except for Keepa and he only gets hilarious at level 90-99. His Shoot stat gets to be 99 once he gets to the level cap.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

so you completed the chocobo training and then decided to walk to a save sphere instead of riding a no encounters chocobo?? ouch

Don't forget I went and posted on here about how smug and happy I was too, before walking back.

Karma's a bitch.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Vil posted:

For future reference, No Encounters is a godsend when dealing with annoying mini-games.

And when you're done capturing monsters in the Omega Ruins and heading back to save :suicide: gently caress great malboros

Basically have somebody with No Encounters equipped at all times when doing post-game stuff unless you're just about to fight something or intentionally looking for random fights.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

mateo360 posted:

You've got two main options for dealing with Blitzball:

1. Embrace it. Get yourself a good team, build up their levels, learn useful skills, etc.

2. Reset the gently caress out of it. The Wakka-related poo poo (reels + sigil) alternates between leagues and tournaments. Once you get a league prize, reset Blitzball until the first tournament has the desired thing as the reward, then go for that. Once you get a tournament prize, reset Blitzball until the first league has the desired thing as the reward, then go for that. If you don't have it yet, don't forget to actually pick up Wakka's weapon itself after you've got enough wins, before resetting.

If you go for option #2, you'll want to prioritize players who are really good at low levels, like Tidus (once you gain him a level to assign Jecht Shot) and Brother at the very least, and preferably give some of the other Aurochs the boot in favor of more competent players.

If you struggle with the Psyches because of loving Nimrook preventing you from ever scoring, play exhibition games with them (forfeit as soon as you get the ball) until you're 1 game away from Nimrook's contract expiring, then save scum until the Psyches don't re-sign him and he's a free agent. (Bonus: sign him up yourself at that point.) This is, however, pretty drat tedious; it's also a better idea if you're going for option #1 since otherwise you'd have to redo it every single reset. (Well, okay, only for tournaments I suppose. For league you only need to win the most total games, so you can still lose twice to the Psyches.)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I managed to get Attack Reels in the first Tournament. I have the Weapon, I just need to get the other two reels and the sigil. Right Now I have

LF: Tidus Lv 8 14 END 4 ATK 5 PAS 3 BLK 15 SHT 2 CAT with Jecht and Sphere shot

RF: Wedge Lv 4 12 END 10 ATK 3 PAS 8 BLK 17 SHT 2 CAT with Wither Shot

MF: Brother Lv 3 10 END 6 ATK 16 PAS 16 BLK 14 SHT 1 CAT with Wither Pass

LD: Zalitz Lv 2 6 END 15 ATK 5 PAS 11 BLK 3 SHT 1 CAT

RD: Svanda Lv 1 10 END 10 ATK 8 PAS 15 BLK 14 SHT 4 CAT

GL: Jumal LV 4 8 END 1 ATK 5 PAS 4 BLK 1 SHT 14 CAT with Super Goalie

though quick question, when a player I have signed has their contract expire, will I get the option to renew them without having to go to their location or do I have to travel everytime I want to renew them?

edit:never mind, that got answered as soon as I posted this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

All this FFX talk and nobody posted this yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EneUqxrbCpY

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

mateo360 posted:

edit:never mind, that got answered as soon as I posted this.

Your defenders suck go get Ropp from behind the counter in the Miihen agency if he is still available.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

GreatRedSpirit posted:

And when you're done capturing monsters in the Omega Ruins and heading back to save :suicide: gently caress great malboros

Basically have somebody with No Encounters equipped at all times when doing post-game stuff unless you're just about to fight something or intentionally looking for random fights.

No encounters is pretty overrated. Efficiency wise you need to find a jillion battles both to capture monsters and to meet the battle requirement for jupiter sigil. the only time I use no encounters is if there are no more capturable monsters in an area or doing a sigil minigame.

Great Marlboro ambushes are annoying but you shouldn't go into omega ruins without first strike. just first strike + provoke or first strike + summon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just spent like 20 minutes backtracking to Besaid (Just got the thunder Aeon) to get that destruction sphere before I forget and the priest dude won't let me enter... :(

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just spent like 20 minutes backtracking to Besaid (Just got the thunder Aeon) to get that destruction sphere before I forget and the priest dude won't let me enter... :(

Per this goon, it ought to be fine:

Systematic System posted:

You can backtrack to the Besaid Cloister of Trials and Kilik's at any point after you finish up the events in Luca up to Macalania Agency. Now if you miss Macalania's destruction sphere, you are well and properly screwed because Dark Shiva is one of the stronger Dark Aeons.

However, per my own years-old memory, you can't re-enter any cloisters of trials until you get to the endgame (at which point Dark Valefor and Dark Shiva are standing guard). You can backtrack to Besaid and Kilika in general just fine, but I'm fairly sure you're locked out of the cloisters for some bullshit reason or other.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
We were talking about this on the previous page. I think you can return after you defeat Spherimorph? I can't seem to find any conclusive information about it all.

It seems that what most people are saying is that it unlocks after Bevelle... but then the Dark Aeon appears.

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 26, 2014

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

It still boggles my mind that someone could do the besaid trial and not get the treasure

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vil posted:

You've got two main options for dealing with Blitzball:

Option 2.5: Sign Brother as your middle, maybe Wakka as your other forward. If this is too early for Brother/Wakka, you're too early to care about the only unique reasons for Blitzball (the World Champion, crest, and sigil). If you really want those Attack Reels early, they're in a tournament so you only need Tidus to score a few goals so who cares about efficiency. Save, start your Blitzball game. Go score a goal with Tidus. If you have Jecht Shot, it's easy, just get reasonably close to the goal and use it. It'll knock away up two two defenders, thus making your odds Tidus's Shoot plus 5 against a roll of the goalie's block. Then, go and nab the ball off of whoever has it. It'll take a bit of effort and luck, but then once you do, just grab it and run behind your goal and wait. Brother's there because he's insanely fast and can help set up that crucial score. Repeat this over and over using Vil's resetting advice and you're good. Blitzball's a whole game of its own, so don't feel obligated to do any sort of caring about being optimized or whatever. Tidus can carry you just fine to the Jupiter Sigil.

Option 3: Forget about the World Champion altogether. The Nirvana and Masamune are insanely easy to get by comparison, so just pick one of (Chocobo Racing/Lightning Dodging/Cactuar Hunting/Butterfly Grabbing) to give you three frontliners for the optional bosses. Or hell, flip the bird to efficiency and just have Yuna and Auron do the heavy lifting for the bosses, and have a third character toss down support abilities (Cheer/Focus/Luck/Jinx/Aim/Auto-Life/Nul-WhatHaveYou/healing). Unless for some godawful reason your life is improved by getting all seven Celestials (and trust me, it isn't, I've done it three times) then save yourself the headache and just play the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

NeoNaoNeo posted:

It still boggles my mind that someone could do the besaid trial and not get the treasure

It isn't clear where the end of the trial is and you can't go backwards, so it's really easy to gently caress up and go too far ahead.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

No encounters is pretty overrated. Efficiency wise you need to find a jillion battles both to capture monsters and to meet the battle requirement for jupiter sigil. the only time I use no encounters is if there are no more capturable monsters in an area or doing a sigil minigame.

Great Marlboro ambushes are annoying but you shouldn't go into omega ruins without first strike. just first strike + provoke or first strike + summon.

I never knew there was a battle requirement for the sigil, maybe that's why I never saw it come up in my last playthrough :negative: (The bit where I said 'intentionally looking for random encounters' was my dumb way of saying 'looking for the last tonberry king to capture'. If I wasn't in the same jubilant mood as ShadeofDante was after finishing the chocobo minigame after finding him I would've swapped Auron back up to the front lines too).

Trasson posted:

Option 3: Forget about the World Champion altogether. The Nirvana and Masamune are insanely easy to get by comparison, so just pick one of (Chocobo Racing/Lightning Dodging/Cactuar Hunting/Butterfly Grabbing) to give you three frontliners for the optional bosses. Or hell, flip the bird to efficiency and just have Yuna and Auron do the heavy lifting for the bosses, and have a third character toss down support abilities (Cheer/Focus/Luck/Jinx/Aim/Auto-Life/Nul-WhatHaveYou/healing). Unless for some godawful reason your life is improved by getting all seven Celestials (and trust me, it isn't, I've done it three times) then save yourself the headache and just play the game.

Rikku's weapon is easy to get too. Open up Gamefaqs and spend ten minutes running around in the desert doing that cactuar village sidequest to get the sigil, iirc the crest is in the desert too. Then just punch Godhand into the airship computer and you're set.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The primary benefit to getting World Champion/perfect Attack Reels is to farm Earth Eater/Greater Sphere (but mostly Greater Sphere) without it taking an eternity. Watching it cast Ultima 16 times a battle, versus 3-4 times, made me want to give up on farming Luck.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Well here is my current team now. I am shutting out everyone now

LF: Tidus Lv 13 18 END 5 ATK 7 PAS 4 BLK 20 SHT 3 CAT with Jecht Shot and Sphere Shot

RF: Wedge Lv 11 18 END 15 ATK 3 PAS 11 BLK 18 SHT 2 CAT with Wither and Venom Shot

MF: Brother Lv 14 17 END 10 ATK 23 PAS 23 BLK 16 SHT 1 CAT with Wither Pass, Tackle and Shot 2

LD: Ropp Lv 8 10 END 11 ATK 12 PAS 15 BLK 1 SHT 2 CAT with Wither Tackle and Nap Shot

RD: Svanda Lv 3 11 END 10 ATK 9 PAS 15 BLK 15 SHT 4 CAT with Venom Tackle 3

GL: Jumal Lv 9 9 END 1 ATK 5 PAS 4 BLK 2 SHT 15 CAT with Super Goalie

I wish Leagues didn't take so long. But I am now in one with Status Reels as the prize.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Depending on how long you intend to keep that team, it's worth noting that while Wedge starts as a really good forward after a while his SHT starts to drop. You'll want to replace him with someone else when that happens, so it might be better to just not bother with that and swap him out for like Wakka or someone else who stays good right away.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, I sorta like Blitzball this time around. Now that I've built a team that can win, at least early on, I feel pretty good. I'm rocking Tidus/Wedge/Ropp/Kyou/Jumal. Kyou can't pass for poo poo but nothing gets past her either so it sort of balances. I got Attack reels first tournament (no resetting!) so that was cool. Do I have to wait til after the airship to get the weapon for Wakka? And when does he become available to recruit?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I sorta like Blitzball this time around. Now that I've built a team that can win, at least early on, I feel pretty good. I'm rocking Tidus/Wedge/Ropp/Kyou/Jumal. Kyou can't pass for poo poo but nothing gets past her either so it sort of balances. I got Attack reels first tournament (no resetting!) so that was cool. Do I have to wait til after the airship to get the weapon for Wakka? And when does he become available to recruit?

Wakka's available to recruit once you get to the airship, just recruit him on the bridge. As for the weapon I think you just need to finish 2 tournaments in order to get the lady in Luca to hand it over.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man it's weirdly nostalgic about FFX again. X was the last FF game for me before I had a real life and couldn't do every single thing in a game. Reading about blitzball again and remembering how much time I spent on that is kind of embarrassing, although of all the side things in X, I found it the most fun and least grindy. Hell I didn't even know the term grind back then. Hope there's a sale eventually so I can play X again just to compare how much less time I have to game as an adult.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I asked earlier whether you could win more than one AP Egg in FFX-2 Blitzball - just reporting back in to say yes, I managed to win -3- of them all via tournaments. Just had to re-roll the tournament until it came back up...

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Just have to let off some steam. Playing the new HD remaster of FFX.

I've been following this guide to start maxing stats. I've never done it before, I remember quitting about hallway through capturing 10 of every monster way back when I was first playing..

Well now I've gotten plenty of monsters. I'm trying to get the Triple AP + 2 empty slot weapons for Tidus, Yuna, and Wakka per that guide (right under "Normal Stat Maxing" header).

I've now killed One Eye enough to have gotten 4-5 of each of those weapon for every OTHER character. Only Tidus' sword eludes me. His sword has not dropped even once. Not even the Triple AP + 1 slot version.

This is driving me insane. I am ready to give up again.

EDIT: oh my god right after posting I finally got it. What the hell.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 27, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like FFX really is the "best of both worlds" when it comes to numbered FF games. It still has the essential spirit of 7-9, with a really good battle system and a fun approach to the level-up mechanic along with cool weapon variety and lots of skills. At the same time, it trimmed the fat of 7-9 where you would often have 30+ minute conversations full of redundancy - having all the plot conversations voiced was a terrific decision because it meant they really couldn't go too far off the deep end with info dumps, and it also put pressure on them to deliver a really good translation.

The actual voice acting holds up so well it's been surprising me - I can think of very few other PS2 games where things are mostly natural sounding. Yuna's constant pausing is a bit of an issue, but even Wakka, a character I don't like, has a voice actor who injected a consistent tone and voice and fairly often I find myself thinking "Oh, he's not actually that bad". Auron and Rikku's VAs did an absolutely fabulous job. Lulu is good too, though her staid, reserved personality doesn't lend itself to standout moments. And Seymour is just loving creepy, as he should be. I still think it was a bit cheap of the game to have Jecht portrayed as such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat at first, and I think that's in large part to do with the VA they picked; someone with a less obnoxious, sneering tone would have been more believable.

And it does what 13 tried to do better than 13 - the "just keep walking forward and stuff will happen" style of storytelling. In 13 you feel too railroaded, while the truth is that in 10 you're just as limited to a very narrow path for just as long (I'm at 32 hours and don't even have the airship yet) but it doesn't feel like it. And while the world of 10 is less populated than that of 13, it feels more alive (at least 13-2 fixed this).

This is all coming from someone who hasn't played the game at all since its original release, and another surprising thing to me is how much of the game is familiar; it obviously left a strong (and positive) impression on me the first time through.

Somewhat related to that though: I could have sworn that you find out Yuna and Rikku are related way earlier than you do (it hasn't come up yet in my game). Or did I miss an optional conversation somewhere? Because Rikku just suddenly started calling Yuna "Yuni" despite having just joined the party like two game-days ago.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I think its at least implied in the scene when she joins the party. Rikku is already buddy-buddy with Yuna, so there is something there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

jtm33 posted:

We were talking about this on the previous page. I think you can return after you defeat Spherimorph? I can't seem to find any conclusive information about it all.

It seems that what most people are saying is that it unlocks after Bevelle... but then the Dark Aeon appears.
You can go back to the Kilika and Dejose trials but not the Besaid one. It really sucks. I'm resetting my game because I want to get Anima as early as possible because she's awesome and I've only had it since Friday so whatever. No biggie.

Systematic System posted:

I think its at least implied in the scene when she joins the party. Rikku is already buddy-buddy with Yuna, so there is something there at least.
Rikku is Yuna's cousin.