Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Throw me into the pile of people who have never beat a Touhou game. I mean I did 1cc EoSD easy as far as the game would let me go, but that doesn't quite count.

Then again, after that I stopped playing on Easy, so maybe it's my fault for not beating any of the games.

edit: new page, have the funkest Necrofantasia as content mostly because I'm not sure whether this has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEa_DIctIc

A Meat fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
1cc'd SA on Normal. I've pretty much earned the right to play on Easy forever. :colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

1cc'd IN on normal (all routes), can barely complete any other game on easy

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

You guys talk about your 1ccs, but I'm atleast proud to capture 1 out of every 5 or so spellcards on lunatic. :smith: (Unless it's after MoF because I end up having 0 power for most of a boss fight) I need to start playing again because I know that I wouldn't be able to go through stage 1 without dying once anymore. If only IN would work well with the controller! :argh:

IN is weird because in all the other games I can move diagonally, but the controller is no better than the arrow keys for some reason.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 19, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SirSlarty posted:

Some of the endings are pretty hilarious.

Youmu's bonus ending in Ten Desires is the most profound, everyone should try and get that one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Youmu's parallel ending is pretty great, but Sanae's ending is the best. Too bad you'll never see it because Sanae blows in TD. :unsmigghh:

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
All of Youmu's dialogue in Ten Desires is great. Also her reaction faces.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I really should go back and try to beat more touhou. I don't think I've ever actually beaten EoSD on normal yet. I'm so bad. I'm good at the fighting games though!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I've beaten all the games on normal now, but I'm hitting a wall on some of these EX bosses. Is there an agreed upon hierarchy with how hard these bosses are? I've beaten all of them except Flan, Nue, and Mamizou... And Marisa in FW I guess but fuuuuck that I'm not good enough at FW to do that poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I've beaten all the games on normal now, but I'm hitting a wall on some of these EX bosses. Is there an agreed upon hierarchy with how hard these bosses are? I've beaten all of them except Flan, Nue, and Mamizou... And Marisa in FW I guess but fuuuuck that I'm not good enough at FW to do that poo poo.

Ran is the easiest Extra boss in the series. I can say this with confidence, as I have beaten her.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nue is actually piss-easy by extra boss standards. My only problem is getting through her stage without dying two or more times. Generally I just try to get an extra life from two big red UFOs, then just go for greens so I can bomb through the rest of the stage. Nue's only difficulty comes from not having a ton of lives compared to some extra bosses like Ran and Raiko.

Mamizou is tricky but I dunno, I think she was the second extra boss I beat? Is there any part in particular that gives you trouble?

Marisa and Flandre are definitely the hardest for me, but while Marisa is hella fun to fight and gives you a ~secret reward screen~ featuring one of the three fairies, Flandre is just a chore to fight and leaves me feeling hollow. I dunno, Flandre is the only extra boss I literally do not enjoy fighting. There's no tricks to her other than the one trivializing Levantine, plus you only got two lives, so your only recourse is learning her stuff or saying gently caress it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah, my favorite part about EX bosses is that a lot of them are puzzles. It's why Koishi is probably my favorite fight, cards like Youkai Polygraph are just super creative and fun to do.

I guess with Nue and Mamizou I just don't like UFO or TD enough to get good at their EX stages. :v:

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I've tried some of the Extra stages I have available. TD has the easiest extra stage as I've actually gotten to the boss. Also, Nue's midboss cards are more fun than Mamizou's stupid animal gimmicks.

I want to play SA's Extra Stage and get to fight Koishi (and midboss Sanae) but SA Normal is kicking my rear end. I wish SA had spellcard practice mode.

Oriiiiiin! :argh:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've managed to 1CC 3 games on normal. PCB, IN, and MOF. I've beaten PCB on hard, and EoSD on normal.

I don't know if I've made it more than one spellcard in to any of the extra fights.

I need to remember that bombs can be used offensively. I always forget that, and end up dying because I can't deathbomb (except in IN).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've 1cced every game on Normal, but never anything above that. The furthest I've gotten in Extra is Ran, just past her survival card. And then I gave up because the end seemed hopelessly far away.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

In PCB, why are Youmu's and the Prismriver sisters' final spellcards much easier than the rest of their spells? And for that matter, why is Youmu harder than Yuyuko? (I was almost able to 2cc it with the default number of lives :toot:; I captured Yuyuko's final spellcard with no lives and no bombs, and yet botched it halfway into her final final one.)

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

In PCB, why are Youmu's and the Prismriver sisters' final spellcards much easier than the rest of their spells? And for that matter, why is Youmu harder than Yuyuko? (I was almost able to 2cc it with the default number of lives :toot:; I captured Yuyuko's final spellcard with no lives and no bombs, and yet botched it halfway into her final final one.)

I'm not an expert on game design or anything like that, but I'll give it a try. Basically it's because bullets moving in straight lines, radiating away from the center of the boss, tend to be easier to dodge than bullets moving at oblique angles. This especially holds on Normal, when bullet densities are lower. However, on Lunatic the bullet density on the "straightforward" attacks increases to the point where they become very difficult to dodge in their own right.

There are some schools of thought which conjecture that ZUN designs Lunatic first, then scales down attacks for the easier difficulty levels. There's some evidence in support of that, particularly in this game (e.g. Lyrica's nonspells).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

I dunno, Flandre is the only extra boss I literally do not enjoy fighting. There's no tricks to her other than the one trivializing Levantine, plus you only got two lives, so your only recourse is learning her stuff or saying gently caress it.

I think the biggest problem with Flandre is that really, EoSD isn't that great from a pure game design standpoint; pretty much every neat thing that Flandre tried was done better via either Koishi or Nue, and past that it's just Laevateinn and semi-random bullet vomit. People just remember her because EoSD has a lot of nostalgia value and I think something like 90% of the Western audience was introduced to Touhou via UN Owen.

Also Ran doesn't count as an EX Boss because she's basically a watered-down Yukari. :colbert:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Sanae's spellcards in the extra stage of SA really throw me off. Half the time I'm able to capture one of the first two, and the other half I'm not. On the first spellcard, I know that I'm supposed to stay at the very bottom just under where it says "boss", but when the green danmaku come at me (The second wave, not the first), sometimes they go into that little box and it's luck whether or not I capture the spell, since everything after that is trivial because Marisa does some damage and can take Sanae's health down fast enough. The second spell card is weird; if I don't die in the beginning I can capture it with some difficulty, but is there a certain spot I need to be at? Her third spell card I don't know what the gently caress and I've only captured it once somehow.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Her second spell is just a reflexes and prediction thing, or at least that's how I do it. There's no particular spot I go for. I honestly have an easier time with it than with Byakuren's third non-spell on normal.

The third one's mostly just streaming so I don't see what gives you any big problems. I generally stay high up on the screen so I don't have to worry as much about the bullets that ricochet from the borders, but that's that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am the scrubbest of scrubs- I could 1CC EoSD past Meiling :smithicide: Seriously, every time I got to her I'd be down to 1 life, no bombs and a whole lotta gumption, then the next 30 seconds would see me end up with none of them.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I've got a question about a fan work:
Do any of you know if there's any scans or maybe even translation projects going on for うつつのゆめ?
I was only able to find the video and their melonbooks page for it, but other than that I haven't come up with anything, which is quite a shame.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Shinmera posted:

Do any of you know if there's any scans or maybe even translation projects going on for うつつのゆめ?
I was only able to find the video and their melonbooks page for it, but other than that I haven't come up with anything, which is quite a shame.

I can't actually read Japanese but going by the video that seems to be connected to a a doujin light novel.

Said novel is actually translated and really good.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Redmark posted:

I can't actually read Japanese but going by the video that seems to be connected to a a doujin light novel.

Said novel is actually translated and really good.

That's Utsutsuyume, which I've already read (and that's how I got to said video). However, it's not the novel that's sold with the music.

I did some more searching around and a youtube comment on one of the many duplicate uploads linked to a forum thread which does contain comic pages that appear in the video as well.
Unfortunately I can't read Japanese either, so I don't quite know what's going on there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That 3D Reimu-Yuyuko fight has a very endearing style to the faces, Reimu in particular has a boyish look to her that's aesthetically interesting.

Linking this acapella arrangement of UN Owen was Her? by some dude, its awesome and I have no idea how people do that, its witchcraft.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Linking this acapella arrangement of UN Owen was Her? by some dude, its awesome and I have no idea how people do that, its witchcraft.

I can't see the video because I'm at work and youtube is disabled...but it's Smooth McGroove, isn't it? True story, I've actually hung out IRL with that guy, and have kicked it in his studio. I may have even been the guy who introduced him to Touhou. Dude lives in Mustang, Oklahoma, which is about a 30 minute drive from Oklahoma City where I used to live until last year, and we ran in the same music education circles for a little while. He's actually retired entirely from music education now, and as far as I know, making these youtube video game a capella music videos is in fact now the man's sole full-time occupation.

He does everything in Cubase, which is technically Digital Audio Workstation software, but has a surprising amount of video functionality too. It's hardly "witchcraft" from a technical perspective...if you happen to be the talented motherfucker that can pull it off.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I am the scrubbest of scrubs- I could 1CC EoSD past Meiling :smithicide: Seriously, every time I got to her I'd be down to 1 life, no bombs and a whole lotta gumption, then the next 30 seconds would see me end up with none of them.

Meiling is the sole gatekeeper and protector of Gensokyo so that's understandable.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And this is why I love these forums, such a small world :shobon:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Shinmera posted:

That's Utsutsuyume, which I've already read (and that's how I got to said video). However, it's not the novel that's sold with the music.

I did some more searching around and a youtube comment on one of the many duplicate uploads linked to a forum thread which does contain comic pages that appear in the video as well.
Unfortunately I can't read Japanese either, so I don't quite know what's going on there.

That thread is Chinese, and I can read that :v:

I'd try to translate it but it would probably come out really awkwardly, since languages are hard etc etc.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

a cartoon duck posted:

Meiling is the sole gatekeeper and protector of Gensokyo so that's understandable.

Ahem.

Kurumi and Elly. :colbert:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Sara is the one true hero of Mystic Square - she beat up the other three protagonists, handily explaining why you don't see them for the rest of the game.

The other gatekeepers are OK too I guess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dr Pepper posted:

Ahem.

Kurumi and Elly. :colbert:

Live in a dream. :smugbert:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Shinmera posted:

Can anyone remind me what the original theme for that video is?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

Can anyone remind me what the original theme for that video is?

The description says its three of ZUN's music CD songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlA_Lfssp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZPjFipvrhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K77Yvze2xYk

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe I should've waited until I got home where I can view such links. :v:

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
So, JynX, the author of the Len'en series of Touhou-like shmups, as well as of several April Fool's Day animated "remakes" of the PC-98 Touhou games, released another video this evening - "Re: the Story of Eastern Wonderland".

Essentially it's a combination of Windows remixes of Mima's stage theme and boss theme from Story of Eastern Wonderland, some new JynX portraits (that look almost exactly like all the other ones he's done, in ZUN-art tradition), and some re-imaginations and twists on the danmaku involved, without actually doing anything like releasing a playable game. The results are usually sort of hit-and-miss from a game-design point of view, but are at least well-animated.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's been doing this regularly every year. We'll probably have to sit through SoEW's Extra too, but soon we shall see a remastered HRtP. :getin:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
If you've never seen them before, by the way, it's worth checking out his Len'en series.

Evanescent Existence
Earthen Miraculous Sword

EMS in particular has the coolest loving Last Word I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Leylite posted:

So, JynX, the author of the Len'en series of Touhou-like shmups, as well as of several April Fool's Day animated "remakes" of the PC-98 Touhou games, released another video this evening - "Re: the Story of Eastern Wonderland".

Essentially it's a combination of Windows remixes of Mima's stage theme and boss theme from Story of Eastern Wonderland, some new JynX portraits (that look almost exactly like all the other ones he's done, in ZUN-art tradition), and some re-imaginations and twists on the danmaku involved, without actually doing anything like releasing a playable game. The results are usually sort of hit-and-miss from a game-design point of view, but are at least well-animated.

I was totally gonna post this but got caught up in stuff and forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder. Kinda look forward to these every 9/4 months.

Looking back at it, Mima was...kinda pathetic for a final boss. I guess that's what you get for being the original. Loved that he used all her themes, especially the HRTP one.
Also there seemed to be way more intentional deaths this time around, I think the Offensive Shottype(is that what it's called?) he made was a bit too strong, and kinda made showcasing the spellcards and music a bit difficult.
I only just realized that Marisa's PoFV theme seems to borrow heavily from the SoEW's main menu, it's actually kinda interesting.

Speaking of which, he did actually release a MS album at C85 but apparently immediately sold out. Hopefully he'll make more eventually, since at the very least his remixes are rather good.

Golden Battler posted:

If you've never seen them before, by the way, it's worth checking out his Len'en series.

Evanescent Existence
Earthen Miraculous Sword

EMS in particular has the coolest loving Last Word I've ever seen.

His stage design is really bad compared to his bosses. The bosses all have pretty fancy attacks and gimmicks and make you think how to dodge even starting with stage 1, but most of his stage enemies seem to consist of "high speed weaklings that appear suddenly and all fire streamable bullets". They're still nice games and have interesting mechanics though, but he really needs to work on the levels for the third game.
His original music is still pretty fine though.

Also, the Touhou LP died/fell into archives. Alas, the mediocrity of TD managed to kill even that. It had a good run.

HGH fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 2, 2014