Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ratbert90 posted:

My comment was supposed to be a joke guys. :smith: Obviously running virt-clone 30 times would create a bunch of havock without configuring each one of them manually after they where cloned, and virt-clone is only good with kvm solutions anyways.

"C.D. Bales posted:

Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moey posted:

According to the request, I just need to hunt down numbers per department for Desktops, laptops, thin clients, zero clients and printers.

I'll have to play around with PDQ Inventory, heard lots of good stuff.

Unfortunately you can't add non-computer/server devices to PDQ Inventory so you're gonna be stuck on parts of that request. But for what you can put in PDQ Inventory, it does a pretty great job.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Someone had plugged a space heater into the battery backup side and melted half the plugs on that side. Well gee, there's your problem. :rolleye:

Half of the cubicles at my office have dead plugs because of this which resulted in even more daisy-chained power strips. If your loving legs are that cold dress appropriately for work. :argh:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Here's another one:

So you need to be sure no one plays guessing games or brute forces a password? That's fine, set a modest delay between attempts that makes this infeasible. There's basically no excuse for ever having an account auto-disable and require interaction to re-enable just because someone flubbed their password a few times. What the gently caress?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Speaking of virtuals:

Someone wants to P2V the old server... onto the same hardware. Why? Seems to boil down to because "it's better".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sfwarlock posted:

Speaking of virtuals:

Someone wants to P2V the old server... onto the same hardware. Why? Seems to boil down to because "it's better".

Well, it would make it easier to move to another (different) piece of hardware if the current one failed

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

Speaking of virtuals:

Well if the HW is supported it does provide a nicer way to transport it around, if the HW dies.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Unfortunately you can't add non-computer/server devices to PDQ Inventory so you're gonna be stuck on parts of that request. But for what you can put in PDQ Inventory, it does a pretty great job.

They don't seem to want any details, so I can scrounge up the rest with nmap.

I guess this is a good time to get a little VM running all the PDQ stuff!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Half of the cubicles at my office have dead plugs because of this which resulted in even more daisy-chained power strips. If your loving legs are that cold dress appropriately for work. :argh:

When cold people don't get their space heaters, the next step is usually bitching at and/or bribing facilities until the office thermostat is set to 80 degrees year round, so be careful what you wish for... :v:

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
It already is...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

They don't seem to want any details, so I can scrounge up the rest with nmap.

I guess this is a good time to get a little VM running all the PDQ stuff!

I really go to it for things I want to know quickly.

How many people have X app? What versions?
What machine has user johndoe logged into?
What models do we currently have in production?

All can be gathered really fast and a report made for it to pass on. Its neat that its free.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Meraki Systems Manager can also do that for what it's worth. It would require some way of deploying the agent though.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow Xenserver is more poo poo that I thought, didn't know it wasn't "officially" supported on ucs-B series

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

How is it legal for your circuits to be so hosed that an overload results in more than a breaker or fuse pop? Oh "dead plug" probably means popped fuse that nobody has ever replaced.

dennyk posted:

When cold people don't get their space heaters, the next step is usually bitching at and/or bribing facilities until the office thermostat is set to 80 degrees year round, so be careful what you wish for... :v:
This. I sit under the heater outlet in our office, and the menopausal women I work with kept complaining about how cold it is and getting facilities to turn up the heat a degree at a time. Now they are comfortable, but bitch every time they have to come over to my cube because "It's so hot how can you stand it?!" NO poo poo ITS HOT YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MADE THEM TURN UP THE THERMOSTAT OVER AND OVER :argh:

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Alereon posted:

How is it legal for your circuits to be so hosed that an overload results in more than a breaker or fuse pop? Oh "dead plug" probably means popped fuse that nobody has ever replaced.

More like the wires themselves burned someplace and nobody could tear the cube walls apart to find the problem so they disconnected that whole section and worked around it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Today's Executive Quotable (TM): "I don't know how, but I'm pretty sure IT is responsible for this."

"this" = The Exec's department neglecting to check e-mail in a shared mailbox.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Wow Xenserver is more poo poo that I thought, didn't know it wasn't "officially" supported on ucs-B series

Huh? you should look. Not that it really matters anyway.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

More like the wires themselves burned someplace and nobody could tear the cube walls apart to find the problem so they disconnected that whole section and worked around it.
That's the thing, there should be a fuse or breaker that pops before you can pull enough current to damage the wiring, otherwise you'd have building fires all the time.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Huh? you should look. Not that it really matters anyway.

Damnit Hersey I was right. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I argue more points only to find out I was originally correct.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I scored well on the roulette wheel of talking to Dell/MS reps on licensing today.

"If you aren't upgrading your OEM 8.0 machines via the Microsoft store to 8.1 you aren't compliant."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress Microsoft licensing so hard. They have made it so difficult to get a straight answer on compliance by hiding behind sales reps that give you a different answer each time whilst asking for money for essentially nothing (oh, you want to run that single Windows license in a single VM? gently caress you, pay me) that they almost deserve the massacre that is the decline of the traditional PC market.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Caged posted:

gently caress Microsoft licensing so hard. They have made it so difficult to get a straight answer on compliance by hiding behind sales reps that give you a different answer each time whilst asking for money for essentially nothing (oh, you want to run that single Windows license in a single VM? gently caress you, pay me) that they almost deserve the massacre that is the decline of the traditional PC market.

Good thing Microsoft is still raking in money hand over fist and on a gradual stock increase due to their server and gaming divisions.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Alereon posted:

This. I sit under the heater outlet in our office, and the menopausal women I work with kept complaining about how cold it is and getting facilities to turn up the heat a degree at a time. Now they are comfortable, but bitch every time they have to come over to my cube because "It's so hot how can you stand it?!" NO poo poo ITS HOT YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MADE THEM TURN UP THE THERMOSTAT OVER AND OVER :argh:

Adding to this, sometimes office layouts are remodels which have not taken the air system into account. My old job was in a set of offices that had been retrofitted from another layout - either a few large conference rooms or some set of large areas for customers. It had been turned into a couple dozen small offices and rooms for use by IT, Payroll and the Executives (that's always a winning combination; put your IT right next to your execs so there's always someone to look down their nose at people with practical knowledge and no desire to wear a suit).

I worked in a shared office directly under a large exhaust for the HVAC. It was clearly meant to service a large conference room or something similar, not a single office. The amount of air it moved and the rattling it made when it was blowing (which was always) was loud enough to be distracting. Fortunately for me, ignoring my company's inane no-headphones policy was sufficient to solve that problem.

It also had trouble keeping the temperature somewhere between Alaska and The Surface of Mercury, depending on the time of day and the season. Of course it did! The thermostat wasn't in that office, so of course the cubic miles of air it forced into our one room every day wouldn't be taken into account by the system. I had to rig up a cardboard baffle just so freezing cold or scalding air wouldn't be blasting into my face all day. That looked professional.

I saw a few space heaters in those offices, and I totally understood. They were mostly in shared offices, and I don't think we ever had any trouble with the electrical because of them. Frankly I think they should be planned for; people have different temperature ranges at which they are comfortable, and comfortable people mostly get more poo poo done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dennyk posted:

Since our entire office is on a central UPS, space heaters are strictly verboten.

We did get the issue with people in one room turning the thermostat up all the time, so we modified it so you can spin the knob all you like but the actual setting doesn't change. The people complaining about the cold still claim it's better after they fiddle with the dummy thermostat. Placebo! :eng101:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 27, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Collateral Damage posted:

We did get the issue with people in one room turning the thermostat up all the time, so we modified it them so you can spin the knob all you like but the actual setting doesn't change. The people complaining about the cold still claim it's better after they fiddle with the dummy thermostat. Placebo! :eng101:
I used to work nights and they turned down the thermostats after business hours to save money so it got pretty uncomfortable. Our solution was to set icepacks on the thermostats, that would trick them into keeping it warm enough to not want to wear a coat at your desk.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Caged posted:

they almost deserve the massacre that is the decline of the traditional PC market.

"Almost".

My team read that they released onenote for free in the news and we all had a good chuckle about how they're being forced to open up their platform because the world isn't a microsoft monoculture anymore

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I used to have to deal with HVAC/building stuff. The relatively new building had a terrible design along with some remodels. It was a two story building with a big common two story tall lobby area that opened to the outside via gigantic automatic doors. During winter the wind would blow right in there all day while patients walked through the automatic door every couple minutes. It was terrible and the ladies that sat in that lobby area kept heaters on them. Breakers would trip every so often, no big deal. Eventually we figured out that you could set the system so that the pressure inside the building was greater than outside so that the building would basically be pushing heat out all day. This worked well for the ladies in the lobby and filled the lobby up with nice warm air. Since no good deed goes unpunished and since the office was built with giant rear end 9 foot tall employee entrance doors the increased pressure inside the building caused one of the doors to not latch properly every once in a while, queue C-Level noticing this every so often and acting like we've not talked about this previously, why it happens and what should be done to fix the terrible lobby door design.

Stupid rear end regular width doors that are tall for no functional reason, twice as tall as normal door but the same width?
That poo poo used to piss me right off. Employees would prematurely yank on the door before the access card scanner could unlock the door thus basically just yanking the gently caress out of it. Since the giant rear end door only latched with a magnet all the way at the loving top these employees were getting some pretty good leverage so eventually the door gets bent to poo poo and doesn't close properly.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

evol262 posted:

There are some flash drives which advertise multipathing. We can't really do anything about about it. But this isn't usually problematic. Even livecds use multipathing (the embedded FS is /dev/mapper/live-rw) What are you trying to do that you need to blacklist them?

cciss is dead. All new hardware should be hpsa.

a lot of it is due to support standards where support people expect local devices to be /dev/sd* and san devices or othe rmultipath devices to be /dev/mapper/[whatever]

Also, we do lots of installs without native multipathing, using things like powerpath at times.

In order for the local disks to be as the support folks expect them, I need to blacklist the local storage controllers.

If there's a better way I should be doing this, I'm all ears, especially if I can sell it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dennyk posted:

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

It already is...

Christ, at that sort of temperature (26.66C apparently) my brain goes into thermal throttling mode and I can barely stay awake let alone be a functional human being. Still at lest I'd get to wear cute summer dresses all year round :)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

a lot of it is due to support standards where support people expect local devices to be /dev/sd* and san devices or othe rmultipath devices to be /dev/mapper/[whatever]

Also, we do lots of installs without native multipathing, using things like powerpath at times.

In order for the local disks to be as the support folks expect them, I need to blacklist the local storage controllers.

If there's a better way I should be doing this, I'm all ears, especially if I can sell it.

No, I mean, I have a number of idiotic multipath bugs assigned to me and I hate it. The question is more "why does support expect it to be one way when it's another way", but I realize that's not under your purview.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On a HVAC note, I'm in a five year old building , where the one thing we've never been able to fix is the thermostats. There are little spinny wheels in every office that go from blue (freezing) to red (quite chilly). We've long ago bought (baby blue) fleece sweaters for everyone, but my fingers and toes still go a bit numb after a while. I'm waiting for summer, when I can take breaks outside to thaw out a bit.

At least we've been able to nudge it up enough that the coldest offices are no longer at 16C (61F).

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 27, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Everyone complaining about cold offices should be glad they don't actually work IN the datacenter. The fishbowl I work in is on the same thermostat as the datacenter floor, and is therefore more than a little chilly at all times.

Almost everyone brings in at least a light sweater to wear, or wears multiple shirts.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Computer viking posted:

On a HVAC note, I'm in a five year old building , where the one thing we've never been able to fix is the thermostats. There are little spinny wheels in every office that go from blue (freezing) to red (quite chilly). We've long ago bought (baby blue) fleece sweaters for everyone, but my fingers and toes still go a bit numb after a while. I'm waiting for summer, when I can take breaks outside to thaw out a bit.

At least we've been able to nudge it up enough that the coldest offices are no longer at 16C (61F).

:ssh: Many office thermostats are fake

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1042577628591401304

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Everyone complaining about cold offices should be glad they don't actually work IN the datacenter. The fishbowl I work in is on the same thermostat as the datacenter floor, and is therefore more than a little chilly at all times.

One of the buildings I was in, they built and installed a whole heap of internal walls after the aircon configuration was done. The result was most of the buildings heat was channeled right past the thermostat (which couldn't be adjusted because of reasons) because that section of the building didn't get cooled properly any more. The hotter it was outside, the colder inside.

Sometimes it got to 45c outside. On those days, it got down to about 6 inside.

How am I supposed to choose between long pants and shorts in this situation?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sir_Substance posted:

One of the buildings I was in, they built and installed a whole heap of internal walls after the aircon configuration was done. The result was most of the buildings heat was channeled right past the thermostat (which couldn't be adjusted because of reasons) because that section of the building didn't get cooled properly any more. The hotter it was outside, the colder inside.

Sometimes it got to 45c outside. On those days, it got down to about 6 inside.

How am I supposed to choose between long pants and shorts in this situation?

http://www.sears.com/search=cargo%20pants%20with%20zip%20off%20leg

The height of professionalism.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I worked in an office where the AC was badly designed. In order for the whole floor to be tolerably cooled, the main meeting room had to be kept icy-cold.

You'd walk past the glass walls when long tedious meetings were going on and all the partipants were wearing coats like an Inuit town meeting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I sit under a heating vent :(

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This video is exactly what it is like trying to work with the project managers at my company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

nitrogen posted:

This video is exactly what it is like trying to work with the project managers at my company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

I have been in this meeting. My life is this meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I know - these ones are supposedly real, though. Doesn't help much when midpoint + range/2 < acceptable. At least it's just a couple of degrees under - I've had to work in the cold storage room (+4C, for chloroform-extracted DNA) for most of a day, and that's another thing entirely. Given what some of you are dealing with I guess I shouldn't complain too much. :)

E: Since I'm sure no one cares about DNA storage. Chloroform extraction works fine, and gives the most shelf stable material of everything we have - but due to the chemicals involved we stopped doing it a long time ago. Anything new goes in -20C, while blood and tissue goes in -80C or nitrogen (around -120C , I think). The -80C freezers are impressive beasts. (I work in a research lab.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 27, 2014