Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Android posted:

Some truly unfortunate rotor placement, I should have been paying more attention.

OK, you're good to go - Accepted!

(please note everyone else, this is a correction to an oath posted before the deadline, not a fresh oath posted after the deadline)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

This is the stuff that I'm going to paint for my diorama. This isn't meant to be an oath - just proving that it started out unpainted for the bonus.

My January oath (the demon) will also be part of the diorama.

The wizard is Center Stage Miniatures's Travelling Wizard. He is 28mm. The terrain is primed plaster using one of the Hirst Arts molds.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I know it's way too late to oath for this month, so I'm just doing this for me. I've not painted in months and want to record it!

:11tea: I'm painting this fish dude from reaper :11tea:

I'm testing out an airbrush I got for Christmas, so odds of finishing this model are slim!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool! As you say, I can't accept the oath but it'll be a good practice model.

Achmed Jones posted:

This is the stuff that I'm going to paint for my diorama. This isn't meant to be an oath - just proving that it started out unpainted for the bonus.

My January oath (the demon) will also be part of the diorama.

The wizard is Center Stage Miniatures's Travelling Wizard. He is 28mm. The terrain is primed plaster using one of the Hirst Arts molds.

You're good, no worries about the deadline.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

The Supreme Court posted:

I know it's way too late to oath for this month, so I'm just doing this for me. I've not painted in months and want to record it!

:11tea: I'm painting this fish dude from reaper :11tea:

I'm testing out an airbrush I got for Christmas, so odds of finishing this model are slim!

Loving the retro necromunda walkway :3:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: Reposting from a few pages ago: :siren:
I'm starting to gear up for Season 5 of the Oath Thread...unless anyone else wants to take this on!

:siren: So I'm looking for anyone who wants to help out! :siren:

Leperflesh has been utterly invaluable all year long (and forget about me, really the thread would be NOWHERE without him, honestly), but he wants to paint and earn points and stuff next time around, which is totally understandable. So I'll need someone to help out, someone who can act as my 'second' at times, a sanity checker for any rules calls I make, someone who can help me make things clearer for all the participants! I'm thinking the new person and I will have clearly delineated roles, but not exactly the way they are right now where I don't touch the points, etc...basically we'll work very closely together for a while! So this is kind of an open call for someone to take loads of abuse for no good reward.

I'll also need judges! Judges like to paint, too, and I don't want to have to ask our judges to come back again and again, so if anyone would like to help out in this area, drop me an email (see below)!

While doing the rules (more on this at a later date) I'll need people to read the rules, discuss them, make points to suggest changes, argue a bit and then share a hug afterward (but no more than that, really). So I'll need folks to help me shorten and de-obfuscate the rules in their future form! Again, drop me an email if you're interested in helping out. I think the helpers we had this last time (see the OP for the 'credits') really really helped open up the rules quite a ways, so this is a valuable help for all the oathers.

If you've got a bit more money than time to help out, I will be putting out a call for anyone who can help out by being a postage helper on the next go-round. This is either simply donating money (which will be fully tracked and accounted for in the next spreadsheet - this is easy to do but potentially fraught with difficulty because it's :tenbux:) or you can literally being a shipping center and help sending out prizes (e.g., I'll ask sponsors to send stuff to you, if they're sending monthly or quarterly things, to help them lower costs). This being a worldwide affair the shipping costs can creep up there. How this will work exactly will be determined, but it's something we'll have to work on.

Finally, I'll need people to help find sponsors! If you have contacts or 'know people' at various game/supply/whatever companies (especially if you KNOW, wink wink, anyone), drop them a line, call them up, give them a nudge and a knowing smile, and ask if they'd be interested. If they are, put them in touch with me!

As far as sponsors, we've got an all-new sponsor on board already (a major company EVERYONE is familiar with, I'll leave you guys to guess who it may be), plus a couple of GOON SPONSORS have pledged their support (huzzah!), one current sponsor has confirmed they are dropping out (it doesn't really fit their marketing plan, to be fair), I'm planning to drop at least one sponsor and there are a handful of unknowns, probably because there's no good way we can show them what they're getting out of giving us free product (which is something we'll address with the Season 5 stuff).

So, a few changes, and I'm asking for a little help to improve things and all that. My email as always is krushgroove169 at gmail dot com, drop me a line if you're interested in helping out in ANY way!

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

To update this, the following goons have pledge their help:
To run the spreadsheet, much in the same way that Leperflesh is doing now: Iris of Ether and enri
To help shorten/rewrite any rules (and potentially any rules questions that come up, although I haven't told them): enri, Moths
Goon prize support: Germ, Lumbering Troll, Dagon (so far)
Several goons have pledged :tenbux: cash money :tenbux:, which is fabulous, I'll be contacting the mods to see what I need to do to make this OK with the powers that be.

I am also still looking for judges! If anyone thinks they're up to the task, please let me know. It's not easy and you'd have to be a fair person as well as a skilled painter, but it can be rewarding for sure!

Germ
May 7, 2013

This year has been tons of fun, and I'm looking forward to the next oathing season. However ... will we be going straight into it, or taking a month or two off? I, for one, wouldn't mind a bit of downtime, but I'll be in next time, regardless.

Thanks a million to everyone who has made this happen! It's an epic undertaking, and has been an absolute blast, full of inspiration and motivation.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

krushgroove posted:

Next season
Happy to take a look over rules too, btw, and provide content and clarity edits.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I am also still looking for judges! If anyone thinks they're up to the task, please let me know. It's not easy and you'd have to be a fair person as well as a skilled painter, but it can be rewarding for sure!

If you are in need I wouldn't mind taking this on. I check the forums pretty much daily anyway, have a BA and have worked in stop-motion for almost a decade, and I think I'm a pretty good hobbyist as well. If you like I can send you some of my miniature greatest hits for judge judgement?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Does my magnetizing count as conversion?

I'm inclined to say that it does count, and I recorded it as such in the spreadsheet already. We've had other conversions this month that amount to no more than an arm swap or head swap, so I think modifying your model in a way that alters it from how it was shipped or supposed to be assembled is the baseline and by that basis, you've modified your model enough to count.

Incidentally, even if you're way behind in the points, completing an oath and the Theme for all three months of a quarter makes you eligible for the quarterly prize draws, so it's still worth doing! You also get automatically entered into Manifest's Best Conversion contest by doing a conversion, so that's another incentive for this month's theme.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
March Oath Complete!
:siren: Warning, hazard stripes ahead! :siren:

Claiming Jurnal for the converted kannon and I rolled a 6!... for the painted objective markers

:siren: Here's some In Battle! pics of my Deff Koptas and Battle Wagon that I painted earlier in the season, going up against a friends IG army + titan:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't think you're allowed to have hazard stripes that straight and even.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God dang those are nice caution stripes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

Happy to take a look over rules too, btw, and provide content and clarity edits.

Great, I'll add you to the list!

Monoliths posted:

If you are in need I wouldn't mind taking this on. I check the forums pretty much daily anyway, have a BA and have worked in stop-motion for almost a decade, and I think I'm a pretty good hobbyist as well. If you like I can send you some of my miniature greatest hits for judge judgement?

Sure, got links?

Leperflesh posted:

I'm inclined to say that it does count, and I recorded it as such in the spreadsheet already. We've had other conversions this month that amount to no more than an arm swap or head swap, so I think modifying your model in a way that alters it from how it was shipped or supposed to be assembled is the baseline and by that basis, you've modified your model enough to count.

Forgot to answer this but yes I'd say magnetizing counts as converting, just from the extra work and the ability to literally convert a model from one type to another.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath re-complete!

Painted these guys up in like a day. These orcs are starting to look sharp, and I'm banging them out faster than ever. I credit the oath thread for working my painting muscles!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

ijyt posted:

I don't think you're allowed to have hazard stripes that straight and even.

SRM posted:

God dang those are nice caution stripes.
Thanks! Here's my secret: http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87030-000-Masking-Tape-6mm/dp/B0000WRZZQ

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm guessing you painted yellow then sprayed black? Because I'm not seeing any bleeding.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Completed!

I have 2 groups because the knight does not exactly fit with the ghosts/vampire.

Here are both groups together:

Since the Knight is the only model in the group here are 2 close up picture of him:

As stated in my original post he is the Detekuv jurnul as he is a converted questing knight using a grave guard shield (to be warn out) some Men at Arms bits to be his gear (like the bird he is carrying. Snack or carrier pigeon?), and finally he uses a high elf noble's body and great weapon all on a Knight of the Realm horse.

Preconversion stuff:

Here are some pictures of the models I cobbled together to make my guy:

The horse is from this, along with the knight legs and the head.

Shield came from these guys, not sure if you can get a good view of the one I used:

I used the body from this elf noble kit:

and while the official image from the GW site does not have the weapon i used, its from the same kit and here is a picture from google images of someone using it:

Does this work?

Group 2:

Close ups on the Vampire, one didn't turn out well:

For this group I claim Themed Group

And for the Vampire I claim Box Art, here is the picture of the model from the website:

Display Board

I also completed my display board:

Please note after I took the oath picture I decided to cut out one of the hill/rocks, and then forgot to retake the picture. I hope this is not a problem, as you can clearly see that the other rocks/hills are the same ones I made.

Some knights riding on it:

Please let me know if there are any issues with my post!

Pash fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 30, 2014

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Under 15 posted:

Oath re-complete!

Painted these guys up in like a day. These orcs are starting to look sharp, and I'm banging them out faster than ever. I credit the oath thread for working my painting muscles!

I've always loved the colour design on your orcs! The purple black design there works great :tipshat:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
OATH COMPLETE

One greatsword/graveguard/zombie filler and a infinity alguacil

Claiming jurnal for the zombie guy.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Sure, got links?

I pretty much only post here... here's some quickies I can find from past oaths. My lighting experiments were cut a bit short by a house move, hence the wildly varying quality, but actually this weekend I will try out my new light tent! :woop:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

ijyt posted:

I'm guessing you painted yellow then sprayed black? Because I'm not seeing any bleeding.

Pretty much the other way around actually. Sprayed a black basecoat. Put down the masking tape. A few thin brushed coats of Averland Sunset followed by a coat of old Sunset Yellow. Admittedly going yellow first would have been easier for the stripes, but then I would have had to fix up the rest of the model.
Either way, I'm happy with how they turned out. My main objective (geddit!) was making them visually stand out on a tabletop. Hopefully I won't lose these ones when we're packing away the terrain and I don't see that one hiding in a piece of dark grey/brown ruin.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Monoliths posted:

I pretty much only post here... here's some quickies I can find from past oaths. My lighting experiments were cut a bit short by a house move, hence the wildly varying quality, but actually this weekend I will try out my new light tent! :woop:

Cool - talking with others, as I don't really know how I'd go about judging potential judges!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Cool, no worries. I'd be plenty happy getting stuck in and making oaths if you decide otherwise, but thought I'd offer since I've been around for a while and felt like giving back a bit.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:February Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Red Shoe

More great work from you. Picked out this dude, love the green with the two tones of metals. And that looks like corrugated cardboard on his base, but it looks awesome.

2nd Place, 2 Points: Monoliths

Love the look of the Orks. Great details, great use of the extra colors. Bases work very well with the models. And Pabst Blue Paladin is goddamn great! The colors work very well together, the blue and red really pop with the metal armor.

1st Place, 3 Points: Moths

The bases are super awesome on the soldiers. There is a lot of variety, but it all stays very cohesive, love the signs and bricks. The models themselves look great, nice faces, nice highlighting on the uniforms. And the tanks have great weathering, perfect amount of metals scratches showing through the green.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, 4th Wall Breakage,1 Point: forkbanger

Got the biggest laugh out of me, and it was really well executed. Poses of the models fit, and the covers of the books were really well done.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I guess that's my cue, then.

Judgment!

Bonus Theme point! (1 point) - Monoliths!

I don't know what to say about this. It's a thing of beauty. It didn't exist before, and you brought it into the world, and that made the world a slightly brighter place. :unsmith:

3rd Place (1 Point) SRM

This army is a great project, and these are two fantastic additions. So much color crammed in there - solid, sure, but without apology and with the good graces to nail down all of the details. No shine or outline or misplacement on the decals, the lenses look great, the cabling as well. Keep it up!

2nd Place (2 Points): Red Shoe

My god, what an imposing model. I'm a little surprised you didn't go further with the glow, given how it seems to leap out a bit more on the smaller models in your set, but it could just be the light. Regardless, another month of high quality, high quantity output.

1st Place (3 Points): MOTHS!

I concur with everything Bachtere said. The basing on the infantry is fantastic, and the weathering and mudding on these tanks is splendid work.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren: Heads up M. Night Skymall & Tadhg (still!) :siren:

You are both owed prizes by me! PM me or email n.kirkby at googlemail.com

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 29, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Monoliths posted:

Cool, no worries. I'd be plenty happy getting stuck in and making oaths if you decide otherwise, but thought I'd offer since I've been around for a while and felt like giving back a bit.

Don't worry about that, you're in!

Please welcome one of our judges for the next oath thread (season 5!), everyone!

Drop me an email at krushgroove169 @gmail.com and I'll send over the links and such when they're ready.

Iris of Ether - please send me an email as well, I don't think I have it. I'm sure you're already in touch with Leperflesh, if not please prepare yourself :) enri, you too, and at some point we'll need to decide who will be the points scribe of record! Both of you have volunteered...

Enri, moths and anyone else who volunteered to help rewrite the rules - be ready for some group emails and such, we've got one month to the start of the Oath Thread, Season 5! (at least, that's what I'm aiming for!)

Anyone who's jumped forward so far to help with rules and record keeping is welcome to be my 'second' - basically someone to sanity-check rule decisions during the year (most important), possibly do Accepted posts when I'm not around, plus other unforeseen things to help keep things ticking over smoothly. Leperflesh did this quite ably this time but I'd like to keep the rules discussion and points keeping separate - as long as that sounds like a doable idea! Drop me a line :)

Everyone - I'm preparing a questionnaire for anyone to fill out, to get some feedback on this year’s efforts. There are several places that I fell down (when writing the rules and during the year), and there are many areas that can be improved to make things simpler and clearer. Gathering data and opinions from everyone who took part, or even thought about taking part, will help me/us focus on areas that need improvement. So everyone can look for a link to that in the next couple of weeks, in this thread and in the various miniature game and painting threads.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 29, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Oath re-complete!

I need a single Oath Complete post, which contains all of the material you oathed for the month, please. You can edit the above post (and let me know) or post a new one. Just combine the stuff from your two Oath Complete posts. This gives the judges and Krush a single place to look for your photos.

Pash posted:

Oath Completed!

Please let me know if there are any issues with my post!

I don't have a "before" photo for your conversion. You've described it, but a photo (possibly taken from a manufacturer website or the packaging) that shows the original model and/or the parts would allow me to visually confirm the conversion.

Black_Nexus posted:

OATH COMPLETE
Claiming jurnal for the zombie guy.

Same thing for you - I need a photo of the zombie guy pre-conversion.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

krushgroove posted:

Iris of Ether - please send me an email as well, I don't think I have it. I'm sure you're already in touch with Leperflesh, if not please prepare yourself :) enri, you too, and at some point we'll need to decide who will be the points scribe of record! Both of you have volunteered...

Email sent!

I...don't remember if I've been in direct contact with Leperflesh yet or not. :downs: I'm guessing 'not yet', then.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

My Dreadball dwarves, a Themed Group.

And my Reaver Titan!

This is both a conversion for that subcontest, and the Journal for the month. I didn't post a before-picture, but that's because it's just made from scrap plasticard. Probably my most elaborate scratchbuild, so I'm pretty happy with it. The 6mm infantry on the base are from Dark Realm Miniatures, and added on at the last minute.

I'm also going to claim the Fly your Flag! onetime bonus, for the heraldic pendant on the Reaver.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Oath complete

I did stuff...

Infinity draw thing

smaller than 28mm and monthly theme thing. E: Also themed group.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 30, 2014

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Don't worry about that, you're in!

Please welcome one of our judges for the next oath thread (season 5!), everyone!

Drop me an email at krushgroove169 @gmail.com and I'll send over the links and such when they're ready.

:rock: Thanks! Glad to be on board. It's been mighty fun oathing along with y'all, I look forward to poring over your triumphant works in the year to come!

poo poo, I should get in gear for the last oathing month of this year then... I have a dilemma... stompa or knight???

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Diorama complete

I give you the Bridge of Khazad-Dum:

None shall pass!

Over Gandalf's shoulder

Without the Balrog (since he was an oath a couple months ago)

And with Gandalf removed, too:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Leperflesh posted:

I need a single Oath Complete post, which contains all of the material you oathed for the month, please. You can edit the above post (and let me know) or post a new one. Just combine the stuff from your two Oath Complete posts. This gives the judges and Krush a single place to look for your photos.

Edited it into my original completion post -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&pagenumber=117&perpage=40#post427099254

Germ
May 7, 2013

Monoliths posted:

poo poo, I should get in gear for the last oathing month of this year then... I have a dilemma... stompa or knight???

Aw, gently caress. Just so you know, you set yourself up for this.

The answer is.... BOTH!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
And here comes your final set of judgements from us!

1 point: thespaceinvader

The water effects for the mage both work well and look nice. The head counter for the hydras an easy solution to the head removal problems.

2 points: Monoliths

I see I'm not the only one that picked you this month, so I'll just shorten it down to say how great the Blue Ribbon Marine turned out.

3 points: forkbanger

Thought I should post both pictures here since you did a lot of little details on both pieces. The knights expression to seeing his horse being eaten and noticing that you made a set of warhammer rulebooks got a laugh and looks fantastic. Well earned 3 points!

Bonus Point: Pash

The parrot theme worked naturally with the phoenix sculpt and looks awesome to boot!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

I laugh every time I see the elf's reaction to the orge going all Ren Faire on the horse leg. :3:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Leperflesh posted:

I don't have a "before" photo for your conversion. You've described it, but a photo (possibly taken from a manufacturer website or the packaging) that shows the original model and/or the parts would allow me to visually confirm the conversion.

Here are some pictures of the models I cobbled together to make my guy:

The horse is from this, along with the knight legs and the head.

Shield came from these guys, not sure if you can get a good view of the one I used:

I used the body from this elf noble kit:

and while the official image from the GW site does not have the weapon i used, its from the same kit and here is a picture from google images of someone using it:

Does this work? I also edited it into my oath completed post.

Pash fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

Detektuv's Jurnal

• Locked thread