Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nintendo will not release an emulation that is anything less than 100% accurate. That's why it takes forever for poo poo to come out. They don't build one emulator and copy/paste roms into it, they build an individual emulator for each game in order to make sure it is 100% accurate. That's the type of company Nintendo is.

I have a feeling that a more accurate assessment is that they are really out of touch and don't know how to run an online digital store.

But yeah all their stuff tends to run beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They do use individual emulators for each game but it's not accurate in the same way as bSNES or whatever. I'm so loving sick of this conversation.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They do seem to have a degree of quality control that precludes them from releasing, say, the SNES version of Yoshi's Island due to fidelity issues, but they're not handcrafting an emulator from scratch every single time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nintendo will not release an emulation that is anything less than 100% accurate. That's why it takes forever for poo poo to come out. They don't build one emulator and copy/paste roms into it, they build an individual emulator for each game in order to make sure it is 100% accurate. That's the type of company Nintendo is.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but Nintendo's emulation is not 100% accurate. It's accurate enough that people don't care. I'm sick of the conversation too but mostly because it's at Snopes level of "we've made this assumption based on nothing for so long that it must be fact."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 27, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

But they totally do just have emulator + rom for 99% of games, since homebrew people have taken VC games apart and put in different ones. The only exception is a few of the N64 games that require a bunch of crazy hacks to work on the Wii, like Majora's Mask or Sin and Punishment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm done with this poo poo, catch y'all in ~12 hours.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm done with this poo poo, catch y'all in ~12 hours.

Uhh, next time report and ignore, just don't close the thread out of frustration. I agree it's a dumb argument but there's no need to close the thread.

That said this definitely isn't the place to debate emulation and all that jazz.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I didn't assume anything, did I? I said there was some assurance.

Iwata said that previously, Nintendo’s hardware policy was to update its hardware from the ground up with each new iteration – with the exception of the jump between GameCube and original Wii, which share common architectures.

quote:

“However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture.

“It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”

“To cite a specific case,” he concluded. “Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.

“The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

“However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.”

While this doesn't explicitly suggest a unified ecosystem between handheld and console, it does implicitly suggest that the next handheld and console will essentially be one platform, with an iOS like approach in which there are incremental hardware iterations but no loss of content between them. Again, I'm not assuming anything.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
From the first time they started talking about it I figured it was about a common software platform (finally) rather than necessarily hardware. It seems like the main thing that's been a problem is their dev software starting over with every change, vs something like working in some middleware/dev platform that abstracts the hardware.

Course that's somewhat a moot point cause that's from the development side of things. It'll certainly make things easier for them to do this or that stuff, but the consumer facing stuff will still come down to them actually deciding to do it. It seems like they've been hinting at it or leaning that way (at least to an extent) but yeah, I wouldn't necessarily assume it.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Spacebump posted:

You're correct, the mini battles did require a code.

Growing up I only played Yoshi's Island at a friend's house. A lot of the time we ended up playing that mini game.

I'd better not be the only one who tried holding select and hitting X X Y B A at the start of Yoshi's New Island.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Dehry posted:

E: Also, they are experimenting with making DSi Ware downloadable versions of DS games if the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Japanese Club Nintendo reward is anything to go by

Ugh, I hope they don't pursue it very far.
For DSiware to be operable, it has to reside in what appears to be 96MB of internal memory (out of the 128MB available, 32 is taken by the OS).
(Although it is possible to save DSiware on SD, you can't play a game off it. It has to be copied over to the internal memory first.)

That small internal memory translates to 1,055 blocks.
The JP Club Nintendo Plat gift of Advance Wars: DoR ate 426.

It fills up pretty darn quick.
I'd rather see them distributing DS titles through the proper 3DS e-shop channel so I can play them right off SD.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/224954-gba-wii-u-virtual-console-na-trailers

Based on these trailers, it looks like that either NA is not getting the GBA dulling, or there is an option to change that.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to put my goonbux on "there is an option to change that".

It wouldn't surprise me, most of the trailers for 3D Classic: Kirby's Adventure had the game going super dark when you enabled 3D, but lighting it up ended being something you could switch on in the options menu in the final product. So there is at least experience of things like it happening before now.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

It really bugs me how in the videos for GBA games, they show the startup screen letter-boxed with the GBC resolution.

I'm looking forward to playing Metroid Fusion again, not the best Metroid game- but still excellent, I doubt there will ever be another Metroid that tops Super. (or Prime if you're in that camp)
And Golden Sun.... HHnnnggg, I really don't need to buy it, I played through both games several times and I still have the carts and a working GBASP... But I don't think I'll be able to resist it, strong nostalgia for Golden Sun I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 27):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Kart (SNES, US ver.) - €7.99 / Ł5.49
    Mighty Bomb Jack (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / Ł3.49
    Ninja Gaiden (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / Ł3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / Ł5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.
    F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition - €12.49 / Ł9.99 until April 3
    Nano Assault Neo - €7.49 / Ł6.70 until April 10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - €44.99 / Ł39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Skater Cat - €4.99 / Ł4.49
    Wakedas (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Adventure Island 2 (NES) - €4.99 / Ł4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / Ł5.39 until April 3
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / Ł6.35 until April 10
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / Ł4.70 until April 10
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / Ł5.70 until April 10
    Angry Bunnies (3DS eShop) - €4.85 / Ł4.49 from until April 17
    Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €3.74 / Ł3.35 until April 17
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / Ł5.39 until April 17
    Real Heroes: Firefighters 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / Ł4.49 until April 17

NA update (week of March 27):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    - - $-
WII U eSHOP
    My Style Studio: Hair Salon - $4.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dr. Mario (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - $19.99 until April 1
    Jeopardy (Wii U) - $19.99 until April 1
    Wheel of Fortune 2 (Wii U) - $19.99 until April 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    - - $?>??
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    I am an Air Traffic Controller Airport Hero Hawaii - $19.99
    Skater Cat - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Clu Clu Land (NES) - $4.99
DSiWARE
    I Am In The Movie - 200 Points / $1.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Code of Princess (3DS) - $19.99 until March 31
    Rtrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $19.99 until March 31
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - $19.99 until March 31
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $29.99 until March 31
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - $19.99 until March 31
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Soul Hackers (3DS) - $19.99 until March 31
    Marvel Pinball 3D (3DS eShop) - $3.49 until March 31
    Star Wars Pinball 3D (3DS eShop) - $3.49 until March 31
    Zen Pinball 3D (3DS eShop) - $3.49 until March 31
    ATV Wild Ride 3D (3DS eShop) - $5.99 off until April 3
    Bomb Monkey (3DS eShop) - $1.99 off until April 3
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - $5.99 off until April 3
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Bonsai Barber (WiiWare) - 250 Coins, available until April 6
    Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until April 6
    Number Battles (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until April 6
    Yoshi (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until April 6

NOA is late with their PR, so there'll definitely be other releases/sales that are missing from this post, but I can't be arsed to wait for 'em to put it up, so I'll fix it in the morning.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mario Kart 8 is a game I'd prefer to download over buying the disc, so that SMK discount thing is pretty neat. I guess the problem is that it's probably going to be Ł49.99 on the eShop like all the other Mario games so even with the discount it'll still be cheaper to buy in a store...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Do the Pokemon download codes from that North American promotion expire any time soon? The only time limit is for actually registering the 3DS XL system and the qualifying game, right? Wanna make sure before I register and try to sell the code.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Does the DLC for SMTIV go on sale when the game does? I still need to grab some of the boss DLCs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Evil Eagle posted:

Does the DLC for SMTIV go on sale when the game does? I still need to grab some of the boss DLCs.

It usually does, yeah.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Minidust posted:

Do the Pokemon download codes from that North American promotion expire any time soon? The only time limit is for actually registering the 3DS XL system and the qualifying game, right? Wanna make sure before I register and try to sell the code.

They expire April 30th, so you still have a month after the promotion ends.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They expire April 30th, so you still have a month after the promotion ends.
Ah okay, guess I'd better get moving then. Thanks!

Desrever
Nov 23, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Just checked, and the sale does indeed apply to the DLC.

Is any of the DLC worth checking out? I might spend a couple bucks if its worth it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Desrever posted:

Just checked, and the sale does indeed apply to the DLC.

Is any of the DLC worth checking out? I might spend a couple bucks if its worth it.

The boss DLCs do add a bit of story and are for the most part much more challenging than fights in the main game. I'd say the outfits and grinding DLC is unnecessary.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the money dlc is super useful if you like to use the compendium a lot. grinding money in that game sucks.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
F-Zero GP Legend and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow have been rated by the ACB.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

F-Zero GP Legend and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow have been rated by the ACB.

Wow, looks like the GBA train might actually be the real deal. If this means getting all 3 Castlevanias, that'd be awesome. Pretty cool that GP Legend is on board, even if I hope GX and X are eventually ported for off-tv play.

Ninja Five-O and the River City Ransom remake are high on my list of GBA titles to get but god knows that won't happen. Zero Mission too, but that'll be an obvious one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA just announced that Rusty's Real Deal Baseball will be out next week (April 3). For those who've forgotten, it's the baseball minigame collection that lets you haggle with the in-game store owner to bring down the real-world price of each minigame.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm really confused about Nintendo's Sega Saturn announcement tactics but I guess I'll give it a look.

Also Aria of Sorrow is like worth a lot of money on the collector's market in box. Like $200+ new. I wonder if Konami will also submit Contra 4.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They did say it'd be out in April on the last Direct video, so it's not a huge surprise.

NOE still hasn't mentioned it at all, as far as I know. We still don't have Chibi-Robo, either.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Aria of Sorrow is great and looks like a nice SNES game when blown up on a modern TV. I'd go so far as to say that it's better than any of the DS Castlevanias, suffering only from being kind of short.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm really confused about Nintendo's Sega Saturn announcement tactics but I guess I'll give it a look.

Also Aria of Sorrow is like worth a lot of money on the collector's market in box. Like $200+ new. I wonder if Konami will also submit Contra 4.

For a second I thought you were saying we were getting Saturn games. That'd be too fitting for the Wii U.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

MassRafTer posted:

For a second I thought you were saying we were getting Saturn games. That'd be too fitting for the Wii U.

Sega literally does not know how to emulate the Saturn. Like, even actual Saturn emulators out there are pretty rough. It's a tough system to emulate.

Every Saturn game released has been a port of some kind, whether it be from a PC or Arcade version. It's why we have stuff like Sonic R (PC), Sonic the Fighters and Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade) but never Fighters Megamix.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder what will have a decent emulator first, Sega Saturn or Atari Jaguar?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mega Man X collection had the Saturn version of Mega Man X3 for some reason, I think.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

Mega Man X collection had the Saturn version of Mega Man X3 for some reason, I think.

Nah, PS1 version.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

greatn posted:

It has the same version as the Saturn, which was also on the PSX and PC, so most likely it's a PC port or PSX emulation.

The T
May 29, 2010

greatn posted:

Poster above is correct, it's PS1 version. Saturn version had some extra minibosses that weren't included.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The T posted:

Poster above is correct, it's PS1 version. Saturn version had some extra minibosses that weren't included.

That's Megaman 8. Megaman X3 is identical on both PS1 and Saturn.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of March 27):

NA update (week of March 27):

NOA is late with their PR, so there'll definitely be other releases/sales that are missing from this post, but I can't be arsed to wait for 'em to put it up, so I'll fix it in the morning.

Just to clarify, Star Wars Pinball is no longer on sale for the 3DS. It was a two day only thing last week (that I missed). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's Megaman 8. Megaman X3 is identical on both PS1 and Saturn.

Wow. Yes, I was totally thinking of 8. I guess my brain went "Mega Man" + "Collection" and didn't even read the rest of the post.

Also this is starting to diverge into off-topic so I apologize.