Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At one point I remember reading a pretty detailed explanation for how all the numbered FF games take place on the same world, though I think it only covered 1 through 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Systematic System posted:

I think its at least implied in the scene when she joins the party. Rikku is already buddy-buddy with Yuna, so there is something there at least.

I never got the impression that Rikku and Yuna had ever met in person beforehand, even though they knew OF each other.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

FFX12: IZJS exists and you should play it. I don't think Fran and Balthier are anymore a couple than Han and Chewbacca are in your mind.
Balthier does have that one line about how Fran doesn't like being tied up. That's about it, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIi is refreshingly devoid of romantic stuff. Some vague implications here and there but that's about it. And Ashe's love interest is dead the whole gme so she was single and not interested in anyone. It's a nice change of pace considering how heavy on the love story the last four games were. (not counting XI here)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fister Roboto posted:

I never got the impression that Rikku and Yuna had ever met in person beforehand, even though they knew OF each other.

They explicitly say that she had at some point, from what I remember. I'm pretty sure she had met Uncle Cid before, as well!

Also isn't there some scene where Rikku tells Tidus that she's Yuna's cousin which makes Yuna half Al Bhed but they have to be hush hush about it because Wakka is dumb?

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Earnestly talking about race, class, and social issues is not gonna work in this forum. See the minority perspectives in video games thread for the reason why. Or don't, it's pretty far back in the gas-chamber.

Uhhh, my comment on the class/culture divide in FFXII was just meant to be about the world building. It's barely an issue if at all in that game (as compared to say, Final Fantasy Tactics: the first chapter is a class war). The fact that Vaan, Penelo, and Fran don't have surnames is a passive way of letting you know they come from a very different world than the political poo poo that fuels the main plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They explicitly say that she had at some point, from what I remember. I'm pretty sure she had met Uncle Cid before, as well!

Also isn't there some scene where Rikku tells Tidus that she's Yuna's cousin which makes Yuna half Al Bhed but they have to be hush hush about it because Wakka is dumb?

I'm 99% sure that scene exists, but as I said, I could have sworn it happened WAY earlier in the game, because I haven't seen it yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah there definitely is and that it was a big deal about Braska. Don't forget Auron stares at her eyes to help the player see the Al Bhed eye-spiral that Wakka is either too stupid to notice or willing to overlook as his faith unravels on the trip.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When Tidus and Lulu and Kimahri rescue Yuna in Luca she says she knows of Cid but specifically notes having never met him.

Rikku reveals she is Yuna's cousin only if you get her to ride with you on the snow speeder on the way to Macalania Temple.

My last playthrough of X was fun because I had to spend a good deal of time just repeatedly killing Lulu outside of Guadosalam so I could get Rikku's affection higher and have her talk with Tidus instead. Unless you know about that poo poo ahead of time, there's no way you'll ever get the Rikku scenes instead of the Lulu ones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

Well, he does become a sky pirate in the sequel, right?

Let's be fair here. The dude had one goal in life and he achieved it.

I find it funny that Vaan's character arc basically ended with him admitting that his "dream of becoming a sky pirate" was just childish nonsense he made up so he didn't have to think about the real problems in his life. And then they throw it out the window at the end and in future games by going "just kidding! Becoming a sky pirate really was his life's ambition."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah. Like that's the first scene that you see when you reunite with Rikku on the North Moonflow. It's the first thing that happens after Auron makes almost creepily Prolonged Eye Contact with Rikku and you get the FMV showing how Al Bhed Eyes are different (They're swirly and green!). One wonders why Wakka, known Al Bhed hater, never noticed Yuna's one freaky eye.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 27, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

precision posted:

At one point I remember reading a pretty detailed explanation for how all the numbered FF games take place on the same world, though I think it only covered 1 through 6.

Oh you mean this?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah. Like that's the first scene that you see when you reunite with Rikku on the North Moonflow. It's the first thing that happens after Auron stares makes almost creepily Prolonged Eye Contact with Rikku and you get the FMV showing how Al Bhed Eyes are different (They're swirly and green!). One wonders why Wakka, known Al Bhed hater, never noticed Yuna's one freaky eye.

Whether its intentional or not I think it fits well with Wakka's very vocal rejection of the Al Bhed for what happened to Chappu but ultimately making a lot of the same kind of decisions as Chappu.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Yeah. Like that's the first scene that you see when you reunite with Rikku on the North Moonflow. It's the first thing that happens after Auron stares makes almost creepily Prolonged Eye Contact with Rikku and you get the FMV showing how Al Bhed Eyes are different (They're swirly and green!). One wonders why Wakka, known Al Bhed hater, never noticed Yuna's one freaky eye.

I don't think Yuna's green eye is spirally, it's just regular ol' green.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Squallege posted:

Yeah, its just a regular heterochromia and no fancy magic eye spiral.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah. Like that's the first scene that you see when you reunite with Rikku on the North Moonflow. It's the first thing that happens after Auron makes almost creepily Prolonged Eye Contact with Rikku and you get the FMV showing how Al Bhed Eyes are different (They're swirly and green!). One wonders why Wakka, known Al Bhed hater, never noticed Yuna's one freaky eye.

I always had the idea that Wakka was hateful of Al Bhed in a very ignorant way-- he could tell you why Yevon says they're bad and why he personally dislikes them, but other than "use machina, wear goggles" he knows next to nothing about them, not even that they have weird swirly eyeballs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Yeah, its just a regular heterochromia and no fancy magic eye spiral.

Squallege posted:

I could have sworn it had the spiral shape but no swirl.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bussamove posted:

I always had the idea that Wakka was hateful of Al Bhed in a very ignorant way-- he could tell you why Yevon says they're bad and why he personally dislikes them, but other than "use machina, wear goggles" he knows next to nothing about them, not even that they have weird swirly eyeballs.

Man I hope TDI resumes FFX sometime soon...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Was there ever a guide for who you get for the snowmobile scene? I never really paid attention to it, because I think I got the same person everytime and years later someone told me that it could change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

Was there ever a guide for who you get for the snowmobile scene? I never really paid attention to it, because I think I got the same person everytime and years later someone told me that it could change.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Affection_Mechanics

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

The weirdest parts are games where everyone has a last name but then like two people don't, IE: Beatrix and Kuja in FF9.

Kuja's last name can only be found on Unicode type charts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

precision posted:

I'm 99% sure that scene exists, but as I said, I could have sworn it happened WAY earlier in the game, because I haven't seen it yet.

It's in Luca, right after rescuing Yuna. She asks about Cid, says he's her uncle, Tidus somehow manages to put 2 and 2 together, Lulu says not to tell Wakka.

I definitely know Yuna had never met Cid before (but knew of him), and I'm fairly certain the same applies to Rikku, but I could be wrong.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The White Dragon posted:

Kuja's last name can only be found on Unicode type charts.

He's definitely related to Prince.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

This breaks my heart because I can't get Auron to throw the Blitzball. I guess Lulu is the second-funniest option.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vil posted:

If you struggle with the Psyches because of loving Nimrook preventing you from ever scoring, play exhibition games with them (forfeit as soon as you get the ball) until you're 1 game away from Nimrook's contract expiring, then save scum until the Psyches don't re-sign him and he's a free agent. (Bonus: sign him up yourself at that point.) This is, however, pretty drat tedious; it's also a better idea if you're going for option #1 since otherwise you'd have to redo it every single reset. (Well, okay, only for tournaments I suppose. For league you only need to win the most total games, so you can still lose twice to the Psyches.)

You can do this? Woah. I have some players that only have 10 games or so as a contract, when it expires do I have to go all the way back and re-sign them? Or does it just tell me on the spot?

fronz posted:

This breaks my heart because I can't get Auron to throw the Blitzball. I guess Lulu is the second-funniest option.

I had Lulu with the highest affection for most of the game the first I played it. It was really weird. When you jump off the airship she tells you "Life is more exciting with you" or something. Now I wanna see what Kimahri says but I haven't actually been paying attention to the mechanic. It's also a terrible idea to have in a game that is essentially about a love story between Tidus and Yuna!

precision posted:

Somewhat related to that though: I could have sworn that you find out Yuna and Rikku are related way earlier than you do (it hasn't come up yet in my game). Or did I miss an optional conversation somewhere? Because Rikku just suddenly started calling Yuna "Yuni" despite having just joined the party like two game-days ago.

I think Lulu tells you she's half Al-Bhed really early on, but it's a secret because everyone hates them

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 27, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's a great idea if you can have a second romance subplot with Auron or Khimari. Since you can't, it's terrible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fronz posted:

It's a great idea if you can have a second romance subplot with Auron or Khimari. Since you can't, it's terrible.

When I replay FF7 I make Barrett go on the date with Cloud every time

Also when we were kids I remember replaying it at a friend's house and we were trying to figure out the date mechanics. When my parents came to pick me up he screamed out as I was leaving "I'll wait for you before I go on the date" and I had to explain to my parents we were talking about a videogame and uhh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

If you could date Khimari why would you date anyone else?

Bonus points if the game featured alternate CGI versions of the lake scene for every romance option.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

If you could date Khimari why would you date anyone else?

Bonus points if they game featured alternate CGI versions of the lake scene for every romance option.

Hell, make it so that Seymour always tries to marry your romance option. It's not like it would make his plan any more terrible.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Hell, make it so that Seymour always tries to marry your romance option. It's not like it would make his plan any more terrible.

Incoming Seymour/Wakka fanfiction? Because that probably started to exist the instant I typed that.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Schwartzcough posted:

let this change as the game goes on, so that he plans to marry auron, then lulu, then khimari, then back to lulu again

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I killed the Ronso so there would only be me left for Kimahri to love

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It appears the first non-optional reveal that Yuna is Cid's niece is when you first get the airship. Because that's the first time it's come up for me so far. Wakka says "Wait, he said Yuna's his niece? So she's... Al Bhed? But... Yuna's still Yuna, right?!"

Oh, Wakka, you magnificent brain-damaged starfish.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I still remember the moment I first realised that the start of FFX is about a young goofy guy from a big city getting transported 1000 years into the future and the first friend he makes is voiced by John DiMaggio.

I still think it was intentional.

fake edit: and he falls in love with a girl with a weird eye.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's entirely possible, considering FFX also has a "Macarena" joke.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any other modern pop culture joke that blatant in any other FF game, and for good reason.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
42 games later, I finally have all the Wakka stuff from Blitzball. Never again

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So when a player's contract is up, do you immediately get the chance to re-sign them or do you have to hike out to where they hang out and do it that way?

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

So when a player's contract is up, do you immediately get the chance to re-sign them or do you have to hike out to where they hang out and do it that way?

After the game you get a message that says 'X's contract with the Besaid Auroch's has expired. Re-sign? For how many games?'

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NeoNaoNeo posted:

After the game you get a message that says 'X's contract with the Besaid Auroch's has expired. Re-sign? For how many games?'

Awesome, that's what I was hoping. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I still remember the moment I first realised that the start of FFX is about a young goofy guy from a big city getting transported 1000 years into the future and the first friend he makes is voiced by John DiMaggio.

I still think it was intentional.

fake edit: and he falls in love with a girl with a weird eye.

I thought you were talking about Adventure Time until I couldn't figure out what was wrong with PB's eye :v: