Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fuckin duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is fantastic news. It's also nice to see the NLRB point out that "student-athletes" are a farce and a ruse to prevent treating the players fairly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alouicious posted:

probably more money then they'd spend paying the players

:patriot:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Is this going to require colleges to pay athletes as well as provide free schooling? I'm not saying this is out of line as colleges generally provide free school to their employees.

Edit: And medical care for athletes who are injured on the job, right?

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 26, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Alereon posted:

Is this going to require colleges to pay athletes as well as provide free schooling?

Who knows how the colleges respond to it. It has to go before the national ruling board since Northwestern is obviously going to appeal. That's when it gets real interesting.

If the National Board upholds it. The only Hurdle left would be overcoming the public schools and their case that since they are state funded they are exempt or something.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

Who knows how the colleges respond to it. It has to go before the national ruling board since Northwestern is obviously going to appeal. That's when it gets real interesting.

If the National Board upholds it. The only Hurdle left would be overcoming the public schools and their case that since they are state funded they are exempt or something.

Wouldn't that make them the opposite of exempt, that if the national labor board ruled that they had to pay players that they couldn't even question it because it's state funded?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

Wouldn't that make them the opposite of exempt, that if the national labor board ruled that they had to pay players that they couldn't even question it because it's state funded?

The main difference between Northwestern and other schools is their private school status. So if if the appeal fails for Northwestern, When the other schools get hit with similar cases, other schools are going to fight it by bringing up differences, of which that is one.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm glad that the decision addressed head on that they receive $61k+ of pay for what they do. Haven't read through the whole thing but it looks pretty sound. Anyone know how often lower NLRB boards get reversed by the DC one?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

The main difference between Northwestern and other schools is their private school status. So if if the appeal fails for Northwestern, When the other schools get hit with similar cases, other schools are going to fight it by bringing up differences, of which that is one.

Why does being state funded matter, though? My mom works for the University of Minnesota and as far as I know everyone that works there is union.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Why does being state funded matter, though? My mom works for the University of Minnesota and as far as I know everyone that works there is union.

It very well might not, I'm just pointing out a difference. As some States could have silly laws or something.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think it would have some impact because the athletes at a public school would then be state/government employees getting paid with tax dollars.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

There's a bunch of legal differences between government unions and non-government unions. It's how Scott Walker was able to ban public sector unions in Wisconsin but couldn't do anything about the private sector ones. Someone with a labor law background probably knows better.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
A yahoo article had this to say:

quote:

For now, the push is to unionize athletes at private schools, such as Northwestern, because the federal labor agency does not have jurisdiction over public universities.

And there's also this:

quote:

'It's like preparing so long for a big game and then when you win - it is pure joy,'' said former UCLA linebacker Ramogi Huma, the designated president of Northwestern's would-be football players' union.

Which is allegedly a feeling he experienced while at Northwestern?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

KettleWL posted:

Which is allegedly a feeling he experienced while at Northwestern?

quote:

'It's like preparing so long for a big game and then when you win - it is pure joy,'' said former UCLA linebacker Ramogi Huma, the designated president of Northwestern's would-be football players' union.

This rules, I love all the people who are like "we can't do this, it will ruin college sports." I guess we should have kept slavery too since it would hurt the southern cotton trade

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ribsauce posted:

I guess we should have kept slavery too since it would hurt the southern cotton trade

I knew Panthers fans felt that way.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

mastershakeman posted:

I'm glad that the decision addressed head on that they receive $61k+ of pay for what they do. Haven't read through the whole thing but it looks pretty sound. Anyone know how often lower NLRB boards get reversed by the DC one?

By the full NLRB board? Rarely. By the DC Circuit? All the time. That may not be the case now because the DC Circuit recently gained a majority of Democratic appointees

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

A key difference is that public schools fall under the jurisdiction of their respective state labor boards, not the NLRB. Depending on the state (right to work, etc.) it can be extremely difficult for public "employees" to unionize.

An SI article had a good point, though. Northwestern having unions is a big advantage in recruiting - will other schools have to allow unions in order to remain competitive? Also what about Title IX?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

This rules, I love all the people who are like "we can't do this, it will ruin college sports." I guess we should have kept slavery too since it would hurt the southern cotton trade

And now we know why I'll be rejected from Northwestern for grad school.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Chichevache posted:

So your pride in your alma mater is more important to you than the interests of these athletes?

Yes. A&M could shut down all sports and it wouldn't change my feelings toward A&M. I love college football and I would be angry and sad to see it go, but I love my school even more.

And A&M is one of the few schools that can weather this situation. This is really bad for collegiate athletics. Most schools are already way in the red and subsidized by the university, it's a guarantee that they will just shut down their programs rather that spend millions more.

Also, good luck to the athletes who now get to pay taxes on their "salary" since they are now employees of the university. Anyone who thinks this is a good thing for collegiate sports is delusional. This is the beginning of the end, so you better enjoy it while you can.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Unless the "taxes" are 100% that isn't really that big a deal.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ryan8723 posted:

Yes. A&M could shut down all sports and it wouldn't change my feelings toward A&M. I love college football and I would be angry and sad to see it go, but I love my school even more.

And A&M is one of the few schools that can weather this situation. This is really bad for collegiate athletics. Most schools are already way in the red and subsidized by the university, it's a guarantee that they will just shut down their programs rather that spend millions more.

Also, good luck to the athletes who now get to pay taxes on their "salary" since they are now employees of the university. Anyone who thinks this is a good thing for collegiate sports is delusional. This is the beginning of the end, so you better enjoy it while you can.

This is great but you need to toss in a few more traditional jokes, you hit poe's law pretty hard.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ryan8723 posted:

Those poor students who will be making 61,000 a year minus taxes sure would be better off not being able to afford to eat during Spring Break. :qq:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

$61k is $16k more than what the average person in the US makes.

$61k with no debts and being 20 would be like living like an Egyptian god made flesh.

Branman
Aug 2, 2002

I got this title because this code means NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.
This decision has nothing to do with whether or not scholarships are considered taxable income. That's a completely unrelated set of laws. This just means that for the purposes of forming a union, scholarship college football players are considered employees of the university.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

I guess we should have kept slavery too since it would hurt the southern cotton trade
Great job trivializing slavery there :downsbravo:

I didn't know that Auburn tried to have Cam Newton's Achilles tendons clipped to keep him from fleeing school early.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I didn't know that Auburn tried to have Cam Newton's Achilles tendons clipped to keep him from fleeing school early.

How many lashes did he get for stealing that laptop?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

How many lashes did he get for stealing that laptop?
His college name was Kunta Kinte.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Chichevache posted:

Those poor students who will be making 61,000 a year minus taxes sure would be better off not being able to afford to eat during Spring Break. :qq:

You're forgetting insurance and the other expenses as a result of them being employees. Beyond like 30 schools, exactly how in the hell do you think these schools can afford this? The insurance alone will kill most programs.

Some of you are so dead set on "sticking it to the man" that you can't see the forest through the trees.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ryan8723 posted:

You're forgetting insurance and the other expenses as a result of them being employees. Beyond like 30 schools, exactly how in the hell do you think these schools can afford this? The insurance alone will kill most programs.
Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of schools offer insurance programs that you can take part in while you're a student. If you're talking about insurance plans specifically tailored for football players, I think high-level prospects can get private plans as well.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 27, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ryan8723 posted:

Cool baseless speculation there. :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think it's any kind of crazy to think that athletes should get loving medical coverage. i will say that probably only extremely loving batshit crazy bastards who are loving. CRAZY, would think that they shouldn't

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ryan8723 posted:

Some of you are so dead set on "sticking it to the man" that you can't see the forest through the trees.

I don't play division 1 football, but are they not providing medical care for them already? Like, when Lattimore loving demolished his knee did Carolina just toss him out like an old eskimo on an iceflow?

Also, if a school can't afford to treat a student who spends 50+ hours a week training to play a sport for them, then the school probably shouldn't have the program to begin with.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Honestly if the sport can't run while providing that minimum decent stuff for its athletes it probably deserves to die.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chichevache posted:

I don't play division 1 football, but are they not providing medical care for them already? Like, when Lattimore loving demolished his knee did Carolina just toss him out like an old eskimo on an iceflow?
Actually when Lattimore hosed his knee they sent him to some guy at the back of a Bodega in Queens whose surgical tools consist of a pair of scissors and a utility knife.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Where did you come up with the 61,000 a year?

I'm not sure where I sit on this one. On one hand, everyone knows the NCAA is a farce. On the other hand, NCAAMF is so much fun to watch and I agree with the people who think that college athletics will be seriously hurt as a result of this. I wish there was a middle ground where students could make money selling autographs and poo poo, were protected from any negative consequence of injury, still required to attend class, but did not receive a salary. Maybe a small per athlete allowance based off of program profits?

I think what this does is reward the super programs that generate a shitload of revenue. Yes, if you're Texas, Alabama, OSU, UF you can probably afford to pay your QB and that soccer midfielder a salary because you're pulling in an assload of money because you have an enormous population and there is significant demand. But how the gently caress is a D2 school going to be able to pay their athlete's when most programs operate in the red? If you have hundreds of athletes it's going to be an extreme cost for programs that don't have national exposure or ESPN money. How many hundreds of athletes does a medium sized D2 school have? 250?

And how would an athlete's compensation be calculated? Would it be based on free market value or is it a fixed rate per athlete? If they are being paid to play sports then are scholarships and class attendance requirements out? If they aren't required to go to school but only to play sports all of a sudden it isn't college sports. And honestly, no one gives a poo poo about minor league sports and if football is forced to setup a minor league that has a diluted (or no) association to a system that effectively connects to a huge percentage of the middle and upper class to it there will be a major impact on the sport as a whole. Even more so than getting rid of the PAT *gasp*.

And how the gently caress did you come up with $61,000 a year for an athlete salary?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Honestly if the sport can't run while providing that minimum decent stuff for its athletes it probably deserves to die.

Empty quote.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Where did you come up with the 61,000 a year?

I'm not sure where I sit on this one. On one hand, everyone knows the NCAA is a farce. On the other hand, NCAAMF is so much fun to watch and I agree with the people who think that college athletics will be seriously hurt as a result of this. I wish there was a middle ground where students could make money selling autographs and poo poo, were protected from any negative consequence of injury, still required to attend class, but did not receive a salary. Maybe a small per athlete allowance based off of program profits?
If they really had to, I imagine colleges will find some justification to shift money around to make things work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ryan8723 posted:

Nah we want the students to get what they deserve, if the school can't handle it an the program dies, so be it.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Frackie Robinson posted:

If that's where you're coming from that's fine, it's just weird to see people in this thread that I know to have rooting interests in college football act like this is great news. I know nothing's going to come of this specific effort, but it's still an omen of things to come, none of which are good for the continued existence of college football at its current level of competition.

:greenangel:

I look forward to any and all efforts that lead to the destruction of the current NCAA model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

If they are being paid to play sports then are scholarships and class attendance requirements out? If they aren't required to go to school but only to play sports all of a sudden it isn't college sports.
If a guy works at the stadium concession stand is he required to go to class??? If a girl works at the campus book store is she required to turn in her papers on time????

Look how dumb you sound.

• Locked thread