Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Matt Striker dared William Regal to make as many Smiths references as possible during commentary on NXT. Regal, instead of trying to hide them within commentary, simply just started rattling off about twenty separate song titles during a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think he called him The Neon Genesis Evangelion, didn't he?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
The most ridiculous Striker nickname for Yoshi Tatsu had to be "the Tokugawa Shogunate."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Psycho Mantits posted:

The most ridiculous Striker nickname for Yoshi Tatsu had to be "the Tokugawa Shogunate."

No Demon King of the Sixth Heaven? No Buys.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I didn't catch Striker on commentary, but that series of nicknames for Yoshi Tatsu are probably a bad way to demonstrate he's bad at commentary because I'm all up for stupid references during my wrestling.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

John Cena genuinely likes anime so.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

epitasis posted:

John Cena genuinely likes anime so.

Listen, if he comes out for a wrestlemania entrance dressed like Kenshiro... I don't know what I'll do.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The problem with Michael Cole isn't his ability at doing the job of play-by-play commentary, it's that he's being constantly fed lines (most likely by Vince) and the content of these lines isn't all that great. It was on Colt Cabana's podcast with The Miz when they talk about doing commentary since at the time Miz had been doing it for Superstars or Main Event, one of the C-shows. Anyways, Miz points out that he holds Cole in the highest esteem for being able to keep about a million balls in the air and juggle them successfully while calling a show -- remembering where things start and end, building to it, hitting the commercial breaks, everything else that goes along with calling the match. And if you listen, yes, he's pretty drat good at making sure things hit their marks.

But compare Raw commentary to NXT or other shows. Compare those also to the online shows or YouTube shows. In those, Cole is pretty personable, but on Raw, it's almost a coin flip as to whether it'll be good or intolerable. At least it's no longer 2011 or 2012, but it's still not at the standard it could be.

I think this is predominantly due to Vince over micro-managing his A show, to its own detriment. You can see it in the commentary (fed lines, three announcers, etc) and as well in the writing of the show. There was the long-running joke about Vince not caring about SmackDown, and SD being all the better for it. Clearly Vince has done a lot and still does a lot, and that's great, but if the commentary was allowed to breathe better and some of the writing for promos on the shows weren't as over-produced, they'd feel more natural, less forced, less in the same voice and be much, much better.

The three-man commentary team (and occasional clusterfuck that results from it) is pretty clearly what somebody in power wants, and behave the way is felt is best, and whomever has that opinion needs to listen to advice because I'm sure with the talent WWE has they'd be fine without the micro-management.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

harperdc posted:

The problem with Michael Cole isn't his ability at doing the job of play-by-play commentary, it's that he's being constantly fed lines (most likely by Vince) and the content of these lines isn't all that great. It was on Colt Cabana's podcast with The Miz when they talk about doing commentary since at the time Miz had been doing it for Superstars or Main Event, one of the C-shows. Anyways, Miz points out that he holds Cole in the highest esteem for being able to keep about a million balls in the air and juggle them successfully while calling a show -- remembering where things start and end, building to it, hitting the commercial breaks, everything else that goes along with calling the match. And if you listen, yes, he's pretty drat good at making sure things hit their marks.

When Joey Styles was on Austin's podcast, one of the first things he said is that Cole needs to be in the Hall of Fame because the way he manages to juggle all the demands of his role shouldn't be humanly possible. They both agreed that they don't particularly like the content of the commentary, but the execution of it is beyond reproach, there isn't anybody who could do it better than Cole does.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

When Joey Styles was on Austin's podcast, one of the first things he said is that Cole needs to be in the Hall of Fame because the way he manages to juggle all the demands of his role shouldn't be humanly possible. They both agreed that they don't particularly like the content of the commentary, but the execution of it is beyond reproach, there isn't anybody who could do it better than Cole does.
He especially deserves it just for how he handled Jerry having a heart attack during that Raw in Montreal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Cole is good when he gets to play "real journalist", like with the HHH interviews that culminated in the in-ring segment this Raw. He's maybe not the best dude to be doing play-by-play (and definitely never let him be heel ever again for gently caress's sake), but he's competent if very bland. The one dude in the three-man team that REALLY pisses me off is JBL. Maybe it's the Vince effect, but his constant interruptions and nonsensical arguments hurt my head and ears, and distract me from the match that's happening.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah but on the other hand

Christian: I'm undefeated in my career. The only person who's ever beat me was me.

JBL: Someone put a blue dot over his commentary.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dias posted:

Cole is good when he gets to play "real journalist", like with the HHH interviews that culminated in the in-ring segment this Raw. He's maybe not the best dude to be doing play-by-play (and definitely never let him be heel ever again for gently caress's sake), but he's competent if very bland. The one dude in the three-man team that REALLY pisses me off is JBL. Maybe it's the Vince effect, but his constant interruptions and nonsensical arguments hurt my head and ears, and distract me from the match that's happening.

Yeah, JBL is a problem right now. With The King still in the booth it means there's one voice too many, and if you compare to when JBL first started to substitute after Lawler's heart attack, he's clearly been directed to be different (re: shittier). It's like he's playing up his heel shtick too much, when the more natural way he spoke in the first couple weeks was a real breath of fresh air. Might have to go find it again to compare. He'll still come out with gems like the Blue Dot reference, but he's been really bad about talking over Cole and picking arguments that are actively distracting.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Justin Godscock posted:

Here's how the draft ended.

By early 2011, it was fully in force with Edge and Del Rio being the top face and heel on SmackDown respectively and Cena and The Miz being the top face and heel on RAW. Then Edge's retirement happened after WrestleMania 27, which came the gently caress out of nowhere, which left SmackDown without a top face (and there was no one on the roster that could fit his shoes).

So WWE hot-shotted the draft, holding it in April as opposed to its usual June date, and re-aligned the rosters making Orton and Christian the top face and heel on SmackDown and Cena and Del Rio the top face and heel on RAW. The result was SmackDown's attendance (especially at house shows) becoming unbelievably lovely thus WWE ended the draft around August 2011. The overall roster was also very, very thin at this time (Johnny Ace's love his mass-purges) so it made sense to end it.

The split ended after Triple H came back as an authority figure, said that some RAW talent would be on SmackDown and vice-versa. These shows were called "Raw SuperShow" and "Super SmackDown" to reflect this change in policy. In reality, this was a gradual ending of the brand split and at some point in 2012 it quietly ended and now RAW and SmackDown play into one another like it was before.

The lines between the rosters had been blurred waaaaaaay before that though, which is mainly what I'm talking about. After the WWE/World Tag and Women's/Divas titles were merged the champions could appear on either show as of sometime in I think late 2009-2010, but starting right around the beginning of 2011 they kicked off the year with big matches, and exclusive roster members started showing up wherever. I remember this because the first couple weeks leading up to the Royal Rumble (well before Edge's retirement) they'd mention that so-and-so was the GM's "guest of honor" that night, and it built to the Rumble involving both rosters. But then they just sort of dropped ever explaining it and started having midcard champions show up and have matches on the other show, plus their #1 contenders, plus contenders for the floating titles, and also just kinda whoever they felt like. Dolph Ziggler was showing up on Raw regularly while he was a Smackdown guy, Sheamus would show up on Smackdown, The Corre showed up on Raw once or twice, etc. I remember it being weird because the commentary would say things like "You can see him on Smackdown" but apparently I could see them on Raw too. Raw seemed like Supershows more often than not from the beginning of the year all through the buildup to Wrestlemania 27 and beyond.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cole's line of questioning during the RAW interview with HHH was superb. I can't help but wonder if they shouldn't have been showing those wwe.com interviews on RAW all along, but I guess giving people a compelling reason to visit the website is a good idea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dias posted:

Part of JBL's character is that his exasperation with his co-commentator rises throughout the show. The main problem with him is that sometimes it goes from zero to ten in the first ten minutes of the show and stays that way throughout. It's incredibly grating.

The other problem is when he roots for every heel, all the time, because he's the heel announcer. That tends to happen to everyone put in that role.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

At this point the entire commentary is bad and the Michael Cole discussion is just mirroring the John Cena discussion now. Guy is good/talented/impressive but the company makes him lovely because lovely is what they want.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

At this point the entire commentary is bad and the Michael Cole discussion is just mirroring the John Cena discussion now. Guy is good/talented/impressive but the company makes him lovely because lovely is what they want.

There's a lot of talent in the WWE that isn't allowed to show because they don't want it to show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Joey Styles' comments of "Michael Cole always hits his marks" means he has baseline sportscaster competence, which I guess is impressive by wrestling standards.

"This guy sounds phony, overly rehearsed, and has put in the same forgettable performance every week for seventeen consecutive years. But he really knows how to play us out to commercial!"

I'm sure Kevin Dunn loves him.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm sure Kevin Dunn loves him.

Vince McMahon is the one huge on Cole so this goes without saying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Angular Landbury posted:

Matt Striker dared William Regal to make as many Smiths references as possible during commentary on NXT. Regal, instead of trying to hide them within commentary, simply just started rattling off about twenty separate song titles during a match.

I actually found a transcript of that amazing moment.

"Maxine. She can talk a mile a minute. You wouldn't believe what she said to me. I just asked her how she was going, and she said...William, it was really nothing. What difference does it make? Heaven knows I'm miserable. I started something I couldn't finish. Stop me if you've heard this one before. Last night, I dreamt that somebody loved me. There's a light that never goes out. I feel like Shakespeare's sister, like the Queen is dead. This charming man, the boy with the thorn in his side. Showed up in my mind and I saw his girlfriend in a coma. Sheila, take a bow, he cried. Strangeways, here we come. These tears fell and I thought, my sweet and tender hooligans. Just ask how she is now. He looked in my eyes and it felt like a hand in glove. I began to panic and then Big Mouth strikes again. I blurted out, meat is murder. She said, that joke isn't funny anymore. I walked away and he stole my heart like so many others. So, Curtis Bateman and the mystery man: shoplifters of the world unite. That's what she told me. I had no idea what she meant, but she's in a proper hoop about it."

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

I have another one now. I was re-watching the Royal Rumble commercial that was a West Side Story parody (I think it was 2005's?). What are some good wrestling commercials?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Funktastic posted:

I have another one now. I was re-watching the Royal Rumble commercial that was a West Side Story parody (I think it was 2005's?). What are some good wrestling commercials?

Royal Rumble 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArbSULkWwqM

Bonus blooper reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQc5IDvZj4

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I actually should've mentioned that I saw that one. It is great though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Funktastic posted:

The movie parodies from Wrestlemania 21 were pretty good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

What were the best video promo's the WWE Production crew have ever put together?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

What were the best video promo's the WWE Production crew have ever put together?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyj7cr_wrestlemania-x7-17-limp-bizkit-austin-rock-hype-preview-my-way_sport

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Onmi posted:

The opening of No Way Out 2000 is one of my favorite pieces of video they've ever made.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15ba4a_wwf-no-way-out-2000-part-1_sport

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Watching WMX, working my way through nostalgia...who the hell is the ring announcer at the start? I have no recollection of this dude.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JPrime posted:

Watching WMX, working my way through nostalgia...who the hell is the ring announcer at the start? I have no recollection of this dude.

He may have been the MSG house announcer, doing it until they introduce Sy Sperling & The Fink + toupee.

Bill Dunn is his name, via wiki

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Onmi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC7V-ayjorg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Onmi posted:

edit: Blasmeister beat me to it. The "Running Up That Hill" video package was just the best, best, best ever. I mean, the Mania 17 "My Way" was drat good, but even something drat good is a distant second to the setup for Mania 26. It was pitch-perfect, everything up to and including the way Michaels was eliminated from the Rumble that year.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Memento posted:

edit: Blasmeister beat me to it. The "Running Up That Hill" video package was just the best, best, best ever. I mean, the Mania 17 "My Way" was drat good, but even something drat good is a distant second to the setup for Mania 26. It was pitch-perfect, everything up to and including the way Michaels was eliminated from the Rumble that year.

That's not even the full package!

Never seeing either matches, and knowing the ending, it nearly made me cry :saddowns:.

Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgauGnovoSE&hd=1

Abrasive Obelisk fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 27, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

That's not even the full package!

Never seeing either matches, and knowing the ending, it nearly made me cry :saddowns:.

It's awesome song choice because it's both Shawn attempting to make a deal with God simply to wrestle the Undertaker again, and then there's the fact it's a song about someone having died and a person desperately trying to swap places with them due to grief.

Now obviously, Shawn did not die, but his career did end. So as Vinny said once, it was basically the audience pleading with God to not take Shawns career, and God was not interested.

Can never fault them for song choice.

'Legacy' the song they're using for Cena/Wyatt could very easily wind up the same way with a double meaning after listening to the full version, especially with the final segments of the song being pure rage. Guess we'll see

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 27, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think every video package they did for Shawn/Taker makes up the top 10 of best WWE video packages.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love this one for Punk/Taker at Mania 29. It's short and to the point, and although it barely goes over the feud or touches upon Paul Bearer, the tone of it is perfect: Punk thinks he's immortal and he's fighting Taker who in wrestling terms already is.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

JPrime posted:

Bill Dunn. He was mostly on SuperStars but did do a few RAWs and other PPVs, WrestleMania X as you noted and I believe KOTR that same year. Not a lot of info out there about him.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Onmi posted:

then there's the fact it's a song about someone having died and a person desperately trying to swap places with them due to grief.

That's not what the song is about. It's about men and women switching places to better understand each other.

Kate Bush posted:

I was trying to say that, really, a man and a woman, can't understand each other because we are a man and a woman. And if we could actually swap each other's roles, if we could actually be in each other's place for a while, I think we'd both be very surprised! [Laughs] And I think it would lead to a greater understanding. And really the only way I could think it could be done was either... you know, I thought a deal with the devil, you know. And I thought, 'well, no, why not a deal with God!' You know, because in a way it's so much more powerful the whole idea of asking God to make a deal with you. You see, for me it is still called "Deal With God", that was its title.

The original version by her has a lot faster more upbeat tempo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

JK! posted:

That's not what the song is about. It's about men and women switching places to better understand each other.

The original version by her has a lot faster more upbeat tempo.

Huh, I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That WM25 match is so good (obviously) but watching the promos is pretty funny. Good guy, white hat, HBK, the heel, vs. the night, dark hat, evil face Undertaker.