Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
For the dough or for the whole thing? I make a couple deep dishes during the football season:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Christ, what's with the pizza recipe cockteasing?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Proof that it doesn't turn out like poo poo:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

brick cow posted:

Have sex with it because your wife will become loose while the cast iron will not.

Serious: cook everything in it but tomato sauce. Did it come with a lid? Yes? Put that lid on and you got dutch oven cooking in your apartment oven. And that's loving great.

Okay, here, do this:

Come to own these things:
Some chicken thighs and drumsticks (and wings if cheap)
Basil
Garlic
Onion
Potatoes
Canola (or some other med) oil.

Don't eat for three days.
Put cast iron on stove. Turn to med-high. Fill w 1/8 inch oil.
Get it hot.
Salt/Pepper potatoes cut in like 1/2 inch fragments. Drop in pan. When golden on one side remove.
Salt/Pepper Chicken. Same. Same, except do both sides.
Drain 90% of oil.
Turn off stove.
Return potatoes to cast iron in layers. For every layer salt/pepper add diced onions, garlic and basil.
When that shits done add the chicken on top. Put on some more garlic and onions and basil. Put on the loving lid.
Throw that bitch in the oven with the lid on at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
Take off the lid and crank your bitch rear end oven up to 450 for 5 minutes.
Pull it out and wait 10 minutes. Lid off still, please.
Eat.
Die because the best thing ever happened to your mouth.

Just made this, me and my girlfriend are now in food comas on the couch. Everyone who owns cast iron should make this.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
People ITT use steel wool for general cleaning purposes? Doesn't it destroy the seasoning?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Paper With Lines posted:

People ITT use steel wool for general cleaning purposes? Doesn't it destroy the seasoning?

It can, ya, but you only use it when you NEED to.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Cast iron pizza status: amazing.

Went with the NY style pizza sauce from serious eats (If you've made this sauce before and like it, try adding a little anchovy paste in with the garlic and oregano, it works out great), and some chorizo + goat cheese for toppings.

Sadly I ran out of olive oil to brush the crust with, so it didn't turn out nearly as pretty as it could have. The bottom wasn't really to the level of browning I wanted when it came out of the oven, but a minute on the burner took care of that. Flavor wise it worked great!

The floor cleanup crew were sad that there wasn't much for them to do though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paper With Lines posted:

Chainmail works far better, and you can buy it in convenient glove form. Bonus: it doesn't destroy the seasoning - well, no more than any metal object scraping the surface of your pan, at least.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Just made my first bacon in the new cast iron. Four big slices, cut in half. Ate half of it while the burger was cooking, threw the rest on as the cheese was melting.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to find the ingredients for that pizza because I can't stop eating things from this pan.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Butter in a skillet. Medium heat. Wilt ya some spinach. Meanwhile, chop garlic.

Reserve spinach. Sautee garlic.

Scrape all the butter and garlic into a bowl. Open up a thing of fakey-fake pizza crust[0] and spread it over the skillet. Put the buttergarlic and spinach in there.

Cheese. Pepperoni.

More cheese, more pepperoni, fold the extra crust over the top, and apply more cheese.

Bake it in a 425 degree oven for 9 minutes, or a hair more if there's a Cycle Asylum post you want to finish writing.

I probably should have gone longer, maybe at a lower temp. The top crust was still a little raw.

[0] I want to make my own crust one of these days. At 6:00, my SO said she wanted some cast iron skillet pizza, and we were walking to the grocery store anyway, so we just bought a tube of pre-made Jewel-Osco brand dough.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Welp I read this thread while hungry and just had to go and buy a cast-iron skillet from Canadian Tire, where they happen to be 2/3rds off. How good of a deal is it? Am I going to be longing for a 12-inch? (They didnt have any at the store) It's pre-seasoned, should I still start by cooking 5 pounds of bacon?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
How exactly does cooking bacon help the seasoning, anyway? Is there something I should be doing with the grease, or is it just "cook bacon, receive seasoning"?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Captain Trips posted:

How exactly does cooking bacon help the seasoning, anyway? Is there something I should be doing with the grease, or is it just "cook bacon, receive seasoning"?

All the grease the comes from the bacon is good for the pan

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Trips posted:

When the pan gets hot the metal slightly expands, and the grease slithers into those new pores and pocks. THe heat then polymerizes the oil and a hard smooth surface forms, over time and repeated usage. While you're cooking bacon swish the grease around the pan, that's all.

When you cook bacon just collect the oil after you're done cooking - I keep a sealed jar in the fridge of the stuff and use it like butter or oil when I cook - and rinse/scrub off the particulates. Once it's clean get the pan hot again and put a spoonful of the grease back into the pan and make sure it coats it evenly, like waterless water. Then cover the pan, turn off the heat and save it for next time you cook. It's good stuff.

The bacon fat is also great lightly spread on bread like butter, or dabbed onto vegetables (or just cooked with them, whatever). Just use it anytime you want to use butter for pan cooking stuff. Grilled cheese sandwiches are fantastic.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Captain Trips posted:

After you finish the bacon, drain (save) the grease and use a paper towel to wipe out what's left the in the skillet. That should leave you with a very fine layer of bacon grease still in the pan. Crank the heat to high, and as the grease starts smoking, wipe the pan down with another paper towel. Repeat a few times until the surface of the pan is no longer shiny but slightly dull. Congratulations, you've just added to the seasoning your skillet same with.

e: beaten

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Drifter posted:

The bacon fat is also great lightly spread on bread like butter, or dabbed onto vegetables (or just cooked with them, whatever). Just use it anytime you want to use butter for pan cooking stuff. Grilled cheese sandwiches are fantastic.

I had the grease from last night's bacon in the pan still, and I meant to heat it up slightly so I could just pour it out (didn't know about saving it yet :stonk: ) but instead I used it to make grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Great minds, and such.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Trips posted:

I had the grease from last night's bacon in the pan still, and I meant to heat it up slightly so I could just pour it out (didn't know about saving it yet :stonk: ) but instead I used it to make grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Great minds, and such.

Jesus Christ all this talk of grilled cheese is making me want to make baked macaroni and cheese stuffed breadrolls.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
What's the best high heat oil for reseasoning a cast iron pan after discovering your fucktard roommate soaked it and then ran it through the dishwasher, putting it away to only be discovered a few weeks later? Also, would steel wool be recommended for removing rust or should I just use a brillo pad?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best high heat oil for reseasoning a cast iron pan after discovering your fucktard roommate soaked it and then ran it through the dishwasher, putting it away to only be discovered a few weeks later? Also, would steel wool be recommended for removing rust or should I just use a brillo pad?

I used steel wool then peanut oil when someone left my pan full of soapy water to "soak" in the sink. Worked like a charm. I didn't have any rust, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Cook up some iron-fortified bacon

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Bash your roommate in the skull with the pan, use his blood to reseason.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Lenin posted:

Bacon let's you eat stuff afterwards, and is perfectly fine.

I'd also just use medium grit sandpaper before moving down to steel wool. I never liked using steel wool anyway, it's too flimsy feeling.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Drifter posted:

Bacon let's you eat stuff afterwards, and is perfectly fine.

I'd also just use medium grit sandpaper before moving down to steel wool. I never liked using steel wool anyway, it's too flimsy feeling.

Same here. Plus nothing feels better than scrubbing a cast iron pan with steel wool, only to get too close to the surface (with wet hands) and having a fingernail or two bend backwards!

I've followed these cast iron threads for a while, and the bottom line when it comes to cleaning it is just to scrape off what you can. The other debris will come off in time. If you are super anal, coat it in flax oil and throw it on a grill upside down on full blast. I did that once and that was all I needed.

Also I feel sorry for the deep dish enthusiasts here that don't live in Chicago and can't just make a simple phone call to get the best deep dish available.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dr. Lenin posted:

Kill roommate with pan, rend his/her body fat out and reseason with that. Also if the rust is really bad break out a drill and attach a steel brush and start from bear metal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Kill roommate with pan, rend his/her body fat out and reseason with that. Also if the rust is really bad break out a drill and attach a steel brush and start from bear metal.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I bought some safflower oil, steel mesh scrubbing pads, and some bacon last night. I do fully support the reseasoning with roommate idea though, I'll try it if my original attempt doesn't pan out. :unsmigghh:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

phthalocyanine posted:

In the future, remove the battery from the smoke detector while cooking steak. This is a common apartment problem and you are not alone.

We had a little rubber shower cap that we'd put over the smoke detector when cooking steak.

Was fun when the landlord came out and we forgot it was there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Lenin posted:

doesn't pan out. :unsmigghh:

You're fired.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

You're fired.

:drat: You just got roasted, Dr. Lenin!

poliander
Oct 31, 2013
If it is a bit deeper pot (or skillet or whatever)

Bit of olive oil (whatever you have handy - about 3 teaspoons)
Finely chopped large onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Bring that to nice brown colour.
Pop in a few pieces of well smoked bones (cow of course - butcher will cut these in manageable pieces). Bones are actually better then meat for this.
Also not bad to add a smoked sausage in it for ... more emergent content.
Next, one can of corn. This is a super fast version (normally you do beans that are soaked over night, then you boil them, bla bla bla .. takes too long).
One can of beans in tomato sauce. Let that sit on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Don;t be shy on stirring.
Pour about half litre water in there and let it simmer on half heat for about ... 30 minutes to an hour.
Keep adding hot water to it if it gets too low.

When it is nearly done.
Frying pan, put 2 tablespoons of oil in and when oil is hot, add a good table spoon of flour in that and keep stirring until it is nice and brown.
Just pour that into your stew. It will thicken it up nicely.
Add one table spoon of smoked paprika and salt to taste and simmer for another 10 minutes with stirring.
Take it off and leave it sitting for about an hour. a Day would be perfect but whatever.

Hot bread, this stew and salad of choice with a good bottle of beer. It will make you sing.

This will however work with any pot, not only cast iron :).
The beauty of cast iron would be if you could pop it over some charcoals to cook this. Additional smoke in food ftw.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
After weeks looking in every store in Switzerland, I finally received the cast iron pan! :woop:

I understand I must cook bacon? I'd like to make a steak as well, can I do that right now or should I build seasoning?
Any other suggestions?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

After weeks looking in every store in Switzerland, I finally received the cast iron pan! :woop:

I understand I must cook bacon? I'd like to make a steak as well, can I do that right now or should I build seasoning?
Any other suggestions?

Cook the steak. The seasoning is a continuous process.

Even better, cook some bacon and then use that bacon fat to immediately cook your steak!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
So, I'm planning on buying my first cast iron skillet, possession of which is long overdue at this point. There's one small problem, though, which I forsee causing problems:

My entire life I've had "dirty = bad" drilled into my head, especially when it comes to food implements, so the idea of having a piece of cookery that I simply wipe out or rinse off before wiping with oil and putting into the cabinet to fester until I use it again is completely repulsive to me. How do I convince myself that I'm not giving myself botulism every time I cook with my skillet due to rancid fats covering it, and resist the urge to scrub it to all hell (which has probably already caused me to completely ruin my cast iron skillet/grill pan)?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Honestly, with the seasoning built up enough, even heavily burned-on, crusty bits will simply fall off under hot water and some scrubbing from a brush or rough sponge. The skillet just won't hold on to any of it. It's seriously like magic, I love it.

If you're still worried about it, put a drop of dish soap on a sponge and just give the skillet a light scrub. It's not going to hurt the seasoning. I do this when I've made a particularly messy meal or if I couldn't wash my skillet immediately and it sat around with stuff in it, and the seasoning has held up just fine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brocktoon posted:

So, I'm planning on buying my first cast iron skillet, possession of which is long overdue at this point. There's one small problem, though, which I forsee causing problems:

My entire life I've had "dirty = bad" drilled into my head, especially when it comes to food implements, so the idea of having a piece of cookery that I simply wipe out or rinse off before wiping with oil and putting into the cabinet to fester until I use it again is completely repulsive to me. How do I convince myself that I'm not giving myself botulism every time I cook with my skillet due to rancid fats covering it, and resist the urge to scrub it to all hell (which has probably already caused me to completely ruin my cast iron skillet/grill pan)?

Are you thinking you need to keep a half-centimeter of oil at the bottom of the pan? Clean it, dry it, get a tiny amount of oil on a towel and lightly rub it into the pan, heat it up again, let it cool, store. Aside from the dust that'll fall into it, there's nothing else in there, certainly nothing there to go rancid.

I oil mine somewhat like that because I use it nearly every day.

You don't even need to oil it when you put it away. Just be sure to dry it completely before you do. The re-oiling is supposed to help with rust or something, but if it's not wet and being used regularly, gently caress it. Of course, if you're using it regularly then you CAN (lightly) oil it and it won't go rancid. How long would it take to go rancid anyway? A month?

If you don't oil it just be sure to oil it before you use it. Not a big deal.

So there you go. Also, a lot of people (first timers) who start using Cast Iron always mistake the even heating with even distribution of heat, and gently caress up the first few times when you try to be delicate. get it to temp and keep it there for a little bit and then start cooking delicates. So there's that, too. Good luck.

Oh yeah, since you're preheating it anyway there's nothing that'll survive the heat. You're worried about eating the cremated husks of microscopic creatures? Bah.

It's a metal pan with carbonized polymer on it. Whatever. It's not as delicate as we like to pretend.
:shrug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 3, 2014

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Just wanted to report on successfully using my new skillet to make some delicious pork chops with onions and apples last night, and clean-up was a snap. A rib-eye may be in the cards for this weekend...

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.

Brocktoon posted:

I had the same concern when I first looked into cast iron, but then I realized heating is sanitizing. Always preheat your pan (sanitizes in the process!), cook, wash with hot water while still warm, and heat (sanitize) it again to ensure it's really dry.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

Just always keep in mind the difference between scraping a dish and sanitizing a dish. You can scrape all of the visible poo poo off it and it'll still be filthy with bacteria. You can heat up a dish to kill the bacteria and still have charred bits of poo poo stuck to your dish. Cleaning is a two step process. If you're obsessively scrubbing down the coating on your cast iron pan, you aren't protecting yourself from bacteria, you're just removing carbon. The constant process of heating the pan kills the bacteria and turns excess oil and fat into more seasoning coating the pan.

Just like with a dish you put into the dishwasher, you scrub it lightly to remove the visible junk, then wash it at high temperature in the washer to sanitize. With cast iron, you scrub it to remove poo poo sticking to the seasoning, then sanitize it with heat.

You can't really ruin your pan anyway, even if you scrub off too much seasoning. Every time you cook with it, it continues reseasoning. If you really do scrub away too much, you can just smear oil and fat on it and bake it and you've got seasoning again.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

nwin posted:

You need to come back to this thread and post this recipe.

Sorry, didnt' see that, it's been a hot minute since I've checked this thread. I believe that was a mellow mushroom clone dough - http://shutternspice.com/mellow-mushroom-pizza-dough-copycat/ - and then layered ingredients of cheese on bottom, some onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, sauce, then layered again with pepperoni and cheese on top. 500 degree's for 30 minutes or so.

I may have briefly sauteed the veggies before hand to soften them up and change the flavors.

JGdmn posted:

For the dough or for the whole thing? I make a couple deep dishes during the football season:

Looks amazing!

What do you guys use to scrape stuff off of your cast iron with? I'm having a difficult time with crust mush on that is hard to get off with a knife or spatula.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 6, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

onemanlan posted:

Sorry, didnt' see that, it's been a hot minute since I've checked this thread. I believe that was a mellow mushroom clone dough - http://shutternspice.com/mellow-mushroom-pizza-dough-copycat/ - and then layered ingredients of cheese on bottom, some onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, sauce, then layered again with pepperoni and cheese on top. 500 degree's for 30 minutes or so.

I may have briefly sauteed the veggies before hand to soften them up and change the flavors.

Looks amazing!

What do you guys use to scrape stuff off of your cast iron with? I'm having a difficult time with crust mush on that is hard to get off with a knife or spatula.

A rag or paper towel and kosher salt.

Or just a good scrubber or brush with light soap. The seasoning is a lot more durable and replaceable than most seem to think. If you damage it, as long as you oil it to keep it from rusting, you don't have to re-season. Just cook more bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

onemanlan posted:

Looks amazing!

Fill the pan with water 1/3 of the way up and then set it to boiling. Let it boil for a minute or two and then anything on the pan will scrub off very easily after. During its boiling you can start to scrape away the poo poo using a metal spatula.

I actually just use a normal plastic bristled dish scrubber most of the time, and rarely I'll use the aforementioned metal spatula.

You can always just sweat chopped onions with a little oil or something and incorporate the crust mush into it. :black101:

• Locked thread