Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Do any of you search your name with the forums Search Feature, to see who is quoting / talking about you in threads you haven't posted in? On a scale of 1-10 how egotistical is that?

I don't because I have the "post to bookmark" button checked in settings so if I ask a question or whatever I'll be following the thread automatically so I'll inevitably check the thread in my bookmarks and see any responses.

I do use the SALR feature that highlights (in this grotesque shade of purple/pink which is eerily close to the same shade that the YOU ARE A HORRIBLE MONSTER ON PROBATION message comes in) when someone quotes me, which seems a little egotistic I guess? Usually it's nice to see but every once in a while it'll be someone calling me out on being objectively wrong about something and it's like a big awful blotch of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I don't because I have the "post to bookmark" button checked in settings so if I ask a question or whatever I'll be following the thread automatically so I'll inevitably check the thread in my bookmarks and see any responses.

He asked about searching for people who quote you in threads you do NOT or have NOT posted in.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

syscall girl posted:

I do use the SALR feature that highlights (in this grotesque shade of purple/pink which is eerily close to the same shade that the YOU ARE A HORRIBLE MONSTER ON PROBATION message comes in) when someone quotes me, which seems a little egotistic I guess? Usually it's nice to see but every once in a while it'll be someone calling me out on being objectively wrong about something and it's like a big awful blotch of shame.

You should be seeing this in pink then. :) I like this feature of SALR but just so you know you can go into the SALR options and there is a Colors tab that you can change it to anything you want. You can probably turn it off too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

He asked about searching for people who quote you in threads you do NOT or have NOT posted in.

There's that shame again.

That's pretty weird then. Why would you think people were talking about you in threads you aren't in? I would say much closer to a 10 then because what you think you're internet famous or something? Infamous?

Gonna start posting 'turtlicious is a dick' in random threads now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Avocados posted:

So I'm going to be in the rain for the majority of a college tour on Friday. The only rainproof thing I have is a jacket (which works amazingly well) and a standard umbrella. But below the belt all I have are Levis and your every day Nike street shoes. Cash is sort of a problem, so I need some cheap ideas here. What can I do to keep my lower half dry (and also comfortable since Im going to be walking in the rain all day)?

You can get a poncho for about $5-10 that is a step above the disposable "garbage bag" kind. Try an army surplus store or an outdoors store. Ponchos are a little bulky but don't look that weird, they're pretty common.

Shoes, I dunno, sorry. You don't have any boots at all, even clunky workboots? Almost any boot will be better in rain than nike street shoes. Wearing workboots on a day of lovely weather is extremely common (in my experience living in the north) and won't make you look weird.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Turtlicious posted:

Do any of you search your name with the forums Search Feature, to see who is quoting / talking about you in threads you haven't posted in? On a scale of 1-10 how egotistical is that?

Just follow the FYAD thread Goonlolz, that pretty much covers it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

photomikey posted:

When I signed into Dropbox with my HTC phone, I got a 25GB upgrade. So, for two years, I've had 25GB of space. I've really gotten used to it, and I keep a bunch of stuff there.

The promotion is up next month, and I go back to 11GB, which is reasonable, but small.

I have web hosting through GoDaddy where I have (a ton) of free space and bandwidth.

Is there some kind of app I can run that will do a Dropbox knockoff?
Is this so stupid nobody responded to it, or is it so impossible it just doesn't necessitate a response?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
It seems like women are more attractive the more shiny they are, does shininess work to increase the attractiveness of men also?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

It seems like women are more attractive the more shiny they are

What? :psyduck:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Crankit posted:

It seems like women are more attractive the more shiny they are, does shininess work to increase the attractiveness of men also?

Yes, women love shiny men, so you should wrap tinfoil around your head, shiny side out to attract women. As a side benefit, tinfoil also helps to block mind control rays.

Edit: All kidding aside, I don't know if English is a second language for you, but most people don't describe each other in terms of shininess. If English isn't your first language, then that was a weird translation. If English is your first language, and you are seeing shiny people, then you're exhibiting signs of Schizophrenia, and you should really seek professional help.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 27, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

The term for this is "ego-searching."

So, y'know, pretty high.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

photomikey posted:

Is this so stupid nobody responded to it, or is it so impossible it just doesn't necessitate a response?

It's probably more that it is complicated, and nobody knows how to give a pithy response to it. You would probably be better off asking in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum, since they like to discuss cell phones.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Does Universal Studios in Hollywood still have the shark attack on the studio tour? I've tried to google it, but the info seems a bit contradictory.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 27, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Crankit posted:

Do you mean, like, body oil? They put that on dude bodybuilders, so it must work to some effect.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Caufman posted:

Do you mean, like, body oil? They put that on dude bodybuilders, so it must work to some effect.

Yeah I guess that fits, I was thinking of stuff like wet look leggings or catwomans outfit.

thrakkorzog posted:

Yes, women love shiny men, so you should wrap tinfoil around your head, shiny side out to attract women. As a side benefit, tinfoil also helps to block mind control rays.

Edit: All kidding aside, I don't know if English is a second language for you, but most people don't describe each other in terms of shininess. If English isn't your first language, then that was a weird translation. If English is your first language, and you are seeing shiny people, then you're exhibiting signs of Schizophrenia, and you should really seek professional help.

Are you loving OK dude? You might want to seek some help yourself.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

thrakkorzog posted:

Does Universal Studios in Hollywood still have the shark attack on the studio tour? I've tried to google it, but the info seems a bit contradictory.

As far as I know, yes, it's still part of the tour, but fire has been added to the experience (the dock is set aflame), and the tram no longer tilts when the shark pulls on the dock.

The one in Orlando has been gone for two years now.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Turtlicious posted:

I'd say it's more paranoid then egotistical.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

photomikey posted:

I've had ownCloud recommended to me in the past when I asked a similar question. Haven't used it, though.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Swimsuit models. I'd say it works both ways - men want to see toned-up and oiled women on magazine covers, women want to see toned-up and oiled men on magazine covers. Sex sells, or magazines wouldn't have these people on the covers.

Crankit posted:

I was thinking of stuff like wet look leggings or catwomans outfit.

That works too, heh.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I've just read a book about the assassination attempt on Reagan and it is described how a doctor held a press conference about Reagan's injuries and the treatment he was receiving. This made me wonder, isn't that a breach of confidentiality (at that point in time Reagan was recovering from surgery and was probably not able to give consent; in any event the books doesn't touch upon it)? Or is it just a given that when presidents are shot they don't really have a right to doctor/patient confidentiality?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Well now I will.

But I think people hate me. :ohdear:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Per posted:

I've just read a book about the assassination attempt on Reagan and it is described how a doctor held a press conference about Reagan's injuries and the treatment he was receiving. This made me wonder, isn't that a breach of confidentiality (at that point in time Reagan was recovering from surgery and was probably not able to give consent; in any event the books doesn't touch upon it)? Or is it just a given that when presidents are shot they don't really have a right to doctor/patient confidentiality?

Doctor/patient confidentiality has a lot more to do with evidence in court, or putting out defamatory material in general. E.g. it's way more ok to announce that your patient who was just shot on live TV is recovering and here's his status; then it is to just pick a random patient and mention that he has a weird looking birthmark on his crotch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The reason I ask is because a lot of times someone will say a username, and then that poster will post. I just saw it happen in E/N, even though that poster never posted in that thread.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Install Windows posted:

Doctor/patient confidentiality has a lot more to do with evidence in court, or putting out defamatory material in general. E.g. it's way more ok to announce that your patient who was just shot on live TV is recovering and here's his status; then it is to just pick a random patient and mention that he has a weird looking birthmark on his crotch.
I'm sure the President of the United States has extremely detailed paperwork covering everything from stubbed toes to alien abductions. I guarantee no doctors come anywhere near the President without going through multiple official channels and having the secret service climb fully into their colons and set up shop.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Per posted:

Nancy Reagan probably had a legal right to make those sorts of decisions for him. Keep in mind that this incident predates HIPAA by quite some time.

And yeah, there's definitely an aspect of "the president doesn't get privacy" to it. Most candidates disclose their medical records.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

And yeah, there's definitely an aspect of "the president doesn't get privacy" to it. Most candidates disclose their medical records.

Not Jed motherfucking Bartlet.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

The reason I ask is because a lot of times someone will say a username, and then that poster will post. I just saw it happen in E/N, even though that poster never posted in that thread.

There was a time when, if you were discussing crows or ravens, corvid would post but I think that's more that they are a lurker.

You should search for turtle, tortoise and terrapin related threads and post there.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Per posted:

I am pretty sure that Nancy Reagan not only permitted the docs to give a status report, but insisted on it, just going by her micromanagement of White House messaging during her husband's time in office.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
People were talking about anti-fatigue mats earlier for standing desks. Is there a particular brand or model that is better than others? I just got a standing desk setup at work, and am noticing that we have a lovely floor.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Thanatosian posted:

People were talking about anti-fatigue mats earlier for standing desks. Is there a particular brand or model that is better than others? I just got a standing desk setup at work, and am noticing that we have a lovely floor.

I used to sell them over a decade ago, but can't recall the brand name. That being said, don't go with the cheapest. You'll quickly regret it.

The ones that work the best have a thick foamy texture if you look at a cross section.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Turtlicious posted:

I think it's just because certain people frequent certain types of threads, and other users pick up on that. I visit random threads that mention me from time to time, and I'll also get PMs from people directing me to threads that I might be interested in.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Do Italians cook Mexican food?
Do Chinese cook Italian food?
What is Australian cooking called--just that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Duxwig posted:

What is Australian cooking called--just that?

What is Australian cooking? Damper and dim sims?

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Lamingtons and pavlova?
Bush tucker?

I'm pretty sure dim sims aren't Australian, though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

What is Australian cooking? Damper and dim sims?

Whatever the hell it is they do with Vegemite.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's the name of that Russian style dance where it's kind of a prancing run?
As seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUq8Q_b8Lg&feature=player_detailpage#t=152 (at 2:32 if for whatever reason it doesn't go to the right timestamp)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Skanky Burns posted:

I'm pretty sure dim sims aren't Australian, though.

I've always been told they are, and Wikipedia backs it up.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
You learn something new every day, consider me corrected.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

What are some good ways to sweeten black tea? I switched from coffee to tea a few months ago, and just bought some Irish tea that's like drinking pen ink, I usually drink tea unsweetened so I'm not sure what works for strong tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Baldbeard posted:

What are some good ways to sweeten black tea? I switched from coffee to tea a few months ago, and just bought some Irish tea that's like drinking pen ink, I usually drink tea unsweetened so I'm not sure what works for strong tea.

Milk and sugar would be the usual way. If you were feeling a bit posh you could use honey instead of sugar
Maybe you're letting it stew for too long if it's really bitter though. Also are you using boiling water rather than boiled?