Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Betjeman posted:

It's on the radio, and not even a national station. Not the hugest of events.

You'll be able to watch it on YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

baka kaba posted:

I don't even know why Clegg agreed to it, talking poo poo about the EU on panels has been Farage's bread and butter for years. For every reasoned argument Papa puts forward, Farage will have some well-honed talking point that appeals to people's fears and prejudices, delivered with practised style. It's gonna be a moidah and we're all gonna hear about it

It was Clegg's idea, and he's doing it because 'we're all gonna hear about it' whatever happens.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Crashbee posted:

It was Clegg's idea, and he's doing it because 'we're all gonna hear about it' whatever happens.

He's doing it because he's afraid of getting the Libdem's rear end handed to them at the EP and national elections. He's staked a position where he hopes to find some votes.

Fair play to him, at least he's clearly pro-Europe (like Farage is anti) where Labour and the Tories are stuck in the waffling mud.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, and I bet Clegg is honestly well-equipped to make the case for the EU. He's worked in it for a long time so he's informed, and he's pretty good at expressing ideas. It's just that Farage is going to go full polemic and Clegg will probably end up on the defensive the entire time. Talking bollocks about the EU is what Farage is good at, and it'll play well with the audience if they're not already pretty well-up on the situation

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

tdrules posted:

You'll be able to watch it on YouTube

It was also on BBC News so I was right all along :smug:

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, and I bet Clegg is honestly well-equipped to make the case for the EU. He's worked in it for a long time so he's informed, and he's pretty good at expressing ideas. It's just that Farage is going to go full polemic and Clegg will probably end up on the defensive the entire time. Talking bollocks about the EU is what Farage is good at, and it'll play well with the audience if they're not already pretty well-up on the situation
Yeah, this happened.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Nigel Farage v Nick Clegg – Ukip leader Nigel Farage and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg debated Britain's future in the EU on Wednesday"

Telegraph:

SSE price-freeze: Politicians rush to claim credit

Independent:

MPs approve annual welfare cap in Commons vote

Times:

Gwyneth Paltrow and Coldplay star Chris Martin to separate; Not sure what the image is referencing though.

Yesterday's Mail:
"Nick Clegg and Nigel Farage will be debating Europe on LBC radio."

quote:

“I want to cancel my husband’s doctor appointment. We’ve found a cure for his insomnia.”

Express:

Classic Big News Sign.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Classic Big News Sign.

Is Thomas under the impression UKIP has MPs or something?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Times:

Gwyneth Paltrow and Coldplay star Chris Martin to separate; Not sure what the image is referencing though.

Is that a thinly veiled rape joke?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think it's a drunken loving joke. So yes, it's a rape joke :getin:

I have a guess about how that debate went. Farage appeared polished and had an answer for everything, and Clegg managed to occasionally squint and emphasize words like a sincere person might if they had overcome severe brain trauma.

Am I close?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't worry, the nightmare of living under the EU will soon be over

(also I hope the EU mandates better monitors than mine, I shouldn't have to proof things on my phone)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

SedanChair posted:

I think it's a drunken loving joke. So yes, it's a rape joke :getin:

I have a guess about how that debate went. Farage appeared polished and had an answer for everything, and Clegg managed to occasionally squint and emphasize words like a sincere person might if they had overcome severe brain trauma.

Am I close?
Replace 'polished' with 'disingenuous yet loving stupid' and yep.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 27, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Classic Big News Sign.

Is that the same scene from previous cartoons? Like an actual, literal copy-paste?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I would be very very surprised if Paul Thomas had anywhere near the technical knowledge to ctrl-c and ctrl-v. He does redraw the same scenes and poses over and over and over though, and the genius of his "two quasi-human monstrosities walk past a Big News Sign and comment on it" is it can be infinitely reused.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I wonder if there was an initial period in his cartoons where the Big News Sign was actually anywhere near an actual newsagents most of the time, before his gradual disconnection from the world as it actually is led him to just shove it anywhere on the landscape.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on ending of Atos contract – Atos loses contract to deliver notorious 'fit for work' test for Department for Work and Pensions"

Telegraph:

Farage: EU does have 'blood on its hands' over Ukraine

Independent:

:rubshands:

Times:

Pope Francis raises 'right to life' in Obama talks After Shepard Fairey.

Mail:
"Max Clifford has admitted attending sex parties which were hosted by Diana Dors back in the 70s."

quote:

“Well you obviously missed the bit in your newspaper that said she died 30 years ago.”

Express:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Angepain posted:

I wonder if there was an initial period in his cartoons where the Big News Sign was actually anywhere near an actual newsagents most of the time, before his gradual disconnection from the world as it actually is led him to just shove it anywhere on the landscape.

See if you can spot one in this compilation by baka kaba from last year:

Fake edit: I do see one newsagent in there!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Daily Mail in yet another "its actually funny" shocker.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Meanwhile Paul Thomas has drawn Clegg with an egg in his mouth and... a pile of fake eyelashes by his elbow?

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 28, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Crashbee posted:

Meanwhile Paul Thomas has drawn Clegg with an egg in his mouth and... a pile of fake eyelashes by his elbow?

also that's not how you build a fire :itwaspoo:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Strong candidate for the treatment

e- ahaha I thought I hosed the frame border up but turns out it's that attention to detail that made Ghost Car such a hit

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Where's the Sheikh of Wales?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

hahahahaha

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Does anyone remember the old Vic and Bob series where one of the sketches always ended with someone dying and before they died a Ping pong ball would come out of their mouth and then they would fade away like Yoda?

Variation of the "egg from mouth" thing from Airplane posted earlier for the Cl-egg mouth.

He also looks more like prince Harry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Forums Terrorist posted:

Where's the Sheikh of Wales?
Delivering Christmas presents (the present is Death).

baka kaba posted:

Strong candidate for the treatment

e- ahaha I thought I hosed the frame border up but turns out it's that attention to detail that made Ghost Car such a hit
:clegg::douche:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

This is from a UK tabloid, isn't it? :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nope, Australian. Specifically, the NT News.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just noticed Cameron's hand is fading away like he's Marty McFly. Go back in time and make sure Britain and the EU don't stay together!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I've just noticed that he seems to be pointing a remote control at a PC, for some reason.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Iain Duncan Smith and the bedroom tax – About 6% of benefit claimants affected by the bedroom tax have moved as a result of the benefit changes"

Telegraph:

David Cameron: British public do not want referendum on European Union 'right now'; British Summertime begins tomorrow, reducing Mother's Day to 23 hours. Why do you hate mums, Cameron?

Independent:

After William Holman Hunt.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The white cliffs of Ukip - Nigel Farage prepares to take a dive on immigration"

Sunday Telegraph:

Rowan Williams warns of climate catastrophe

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"The white cliffs of Ukip - Nigel Farage prepares to take a dive on immigration"

Sunday Telegraph:

Rowan Williams warns of climate catastrophe

Why did I click on the Telegraph link. Why did I read the comments section :smithicide:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

vodkat posted:

Why did I click on the Telegraph link. Why did I read the comments section :smithicide:

There is no man-made climate change. The investigations between 2009 and the present progressively elicited the admission that it was either a mistake, a hoax, a fraud, an economic disaster, a humanitarian disaster or a religious dogma. Even Dr Prof P Jones and Prof Mike Hulme agree on this point in varying degrees.

As a religious dogma, the belief strongly held by some people that human behaviour influences the climate goes back millennia and its adherents enjoy partial protection afforded by the law to be stigmatized for that belief, at least not in employment (Burton: Nicholson v Grainger [2009] EWCA Civ 1025; [2009] IRLR 78 (EAT)).

As a mistake, it had its origins in some over-simplifications and outright mathematical errors in applying the laws of physics to an insufficiently understood system. In particular, the variability of cloud coverage (which reflects incoming solar radiation) and the details of how radiant energy is exchanged were wrong. However, the more fundamental error was the woefully incomplete modelling of convection which transports heat between parts of the atmosphere, between parts of the oceans, and between the too.

As a hoax, it was a useful "Mencken hobgoblin" for politicians who seek to control over wealth in order to pursue their particular political objectives, but spun to look like a genuine threat which demanded urgent extreme action.

As a fraud, it was useful to start-up companies who could negotiate extraordinarily beneficial government loans, subsidies and extremely market-distorting tariffs to keep them afloat up till the time that the debts had to be repaid, whereupon they went bankrupt. The fraud has been investigated by the UK Serious Fraud Office and presumably other national law-enforcement agencies and they have started to take action against the perpetrators.

As an economic disaster, it led to the mass transfer of energy-sensitive industries to countries that either do not subscribe to the dogma,such as China, or enjoy special concessions like India. The USA is special, as it did not agree to Kyoto yet has achieved emissions reductions as a result of a boom in fracking. At the moment the UK electrical grid is extraordinarily compromised by the closure of coal-powered plants and the delay in installing gas-fired plants, plus the ridiculously generous deal with the Chinese for nuclear power strike price. A severe winter within the next decade will be deadly because of the blackouts, which in any case would be political dynamite. Currently the only standy is STOR, which runs on diesel, which is expensive and …… a fossil fuel. The only rational explanation for the economic shenanigans is that global warming is intended not as an environemental issue but a tool of international wealth transfer. As Ottmar Edenhofer (IPCC/PIK) explained: "one must say clearly that we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth by climate policy; one has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy."

As a humanitarian disaster, the West is trying to prevent the Third World utilising the cheapest, most reliable and life-preserving sources of energy on the planet: fossil fuels, especially when burnt to provide electrical power. Did we learn nothing from the disastrous DDT ban?

In summary, Rowan Williams is entitled to preach whatever beliefs he wishes, be it in fairies, Father Christmas or man-made climate change, if he thinks it helps to foster feelings of mutual emotional support and bonding in order to promote a common culture, but if he engages in political pressure to enforce those beliefs he will risks facing ridicule, loss of credibility or civil unrest.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Thank you for ferrying this garbage to me, someone who knows enough to never read the comments on a news site.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Thank you for ferrying this garbage to me, someone who knows enough to never read the comments on a news site.

Don't mention it. I also enjoyed another post where they attack the one person who believes in man made climate change for being unscientific, and then cite a book from 1978.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Osborne and a UK-Scotland currency union – Chancellor and deputy respond to minister's claim that UK would have to form currency union to ensure economic stability"

Independent:

Times:

Same-sex marriage now legal as first couples wed

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

William and Kate pictured with Prince George ahead of tour

Express:

Russia Kingdom Independence Party :confused:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Russia Kingdom Independence Party :confused:
Nigel Farage is an anachronistic Bond villain, love it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kegluneq posted:

Nigel Farage is an anachronistic Bond villain, love it.

That's actually Putin, though.

I guess Putin is the far right's darling everywhere.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Where do you get hammer-and-sickle branded laptops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

Where do you get hammer-and-sickle branded laptops?

I also would like to know this for.. reasons.

• Locked thread