Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

DStecks posted:

Wait, are there any landed Nestorians at any point? Or are you using the ruler designer? Because a "spread Nestorianism throughout India" could be a very interesting gimmick run.

Just one, duke of Socotra. You start with a holy order and a religious head to far away to talk to, your only immediate neighbors are muslims. Its awesome.

edit: also on an island with no boats

second edit: if your son leaves to join the Order of Saint Addai, he... doesn't I just got 100 piety for letting my son lounge around the island.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Bloodly posted:

It depends what's actually been done, which everyone's actually been quiet on in terms of actual details.

My only concern is what happens in terms of the one-county start(Yes, think Ireland), where your best move is taking the holdings under you, and proceeding with the new armies to deal with other one-counties as chance permits.

Is this 'North Korea'? As I understand it, yes. You are holding the entire county yourself rather than using vassals, and eating the penalty for that, so it counts.
Is this 'broken'? I can't say.
Is it more fun that waiting for money for mercenary+payment money, or using your single castle vs his single castle? To me, yes.

So I ask: What has been done with regards to it?

North Korea Ireland I actually found more tedious than not gaming the holding system in Ireland, mainly due to that a single war could very easily send your bank into the red.

Ireland is a slow start, but that is cause everyone is near of equal power, no one count or duke outshines the other in a hurry and the island largely remains unchanged until England or Scotland decide to want some of that land

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can't play Ireland any more without Ruler Designing a heretic of some kind, it's just too drat boring.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh. Had to start over. Went ruler designer, married a genius, and noticed at some time between marriage and the time I check she gone celibate. I had neither the money, or relations to request a divorce and not enough plot power to kill her.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DStecks posted:

Wait, are there any landed Nestorians at any point? Or are you using the ruler designer? Because a "spread Nestorianism throughout India" could be a very interesting gimmick run.

Pretty sure it said in the patch notes nestorians are no longer considered a heresy so there may be some landed somewhere

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Zhaan posted:

Is banishing supposed to give me a karma hit? I was doing it do avoid the 20 karma cost associated with execution since I'm trying to save up for holy wars, but my karma keeps dropping whenever I banish a peasant leader.

Edit: Also, is there a quick route to more Karma in general? Because I have two kingdoms and an empire I can form and I'm only getting 1.75 a month, so that's going to take a while to rack up 800.

Banishing has always given a karma hit, although it's weirdly hidden away compared to execution. I think it shows "(*) Has 20 piety" (or whatever) when you mouse over the send button for it, but doesn't tell you about it in the text above.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Thrasophius posted:

Pretty sure it said in the patch notes nestorians are no longer considered a heresy so there may be some landed somewhere

There's one on the island to the east of Abyssiana.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't play Ireland any more without Ruler Designing a heretic of some kind, it's just too drat boring.

Yeah my first game as Ireland was such a weird mess, where I somehow managed to form Britannia despite doing pretty much everything wrong, that I really want to give it another shot now that I know what I'm doing BUT I can't stand the thought of doing that heinous slog of slowly fabricating claims on everything and waiting out marriage claims.

Really I don't play anybody that doesnt have some heathens close by anymore. Makes things interesting.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If all you want to do is become King of Ireland, then the easiest route is to play as Ivar the Boneless. With the starting event troops, you can steamroll through the island in just a couple years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

But then you'd have to play an unreformed pagan and deal with gavelkind.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rajas of India added a "convert to local religion" decision. It's awesomely expensive, but it exists.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

I'm not sure, to be honest, I haven't worked on any of our games that have Ironman so it's not something I have dealt with. I thought this version of CK2 was meant to speed up the saving process a bit though?

It's insanely long now, which is disappointing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I swear I saw a "convert to local culture" button during my test run as the Solkani Rajput. That's a nice addition.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Any word on when we should expect a patch? I want to play but don't want to have to ditch my games when the patch is released.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Any word on when we should expect a patch? I want to play but don't want to have to ditch my games when the patch is released.

The patch is out now.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Allyn posted:

Banishing has always given a karma hit, although it's weirdly hidden away compared to execution. I think it shows "(*) Has 20 piety" (or whatever) when you mouse over the send button for it, but doesn't tell you about it in the text above.

I guess I just never noticed it before. The thirty peasant leaders I have can rot in their cells until they die then, I have India to subjugate.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Zhaan posted:

I guess I just never noticed it before. The thirty peasant leaders I have can rot in their cells until they die then, I have India to subjugate.

Or you can kill them, one one cares cause they are filthy peasants

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The patch is out now.

He's probably talking about a hotfix for the stuff that went wrong in the expansion.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oh, yeah I am thinking of the religious unrest issues and such.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

DStecks posted:

In either 1066 or Old Gods (I forget which) there's a Nestorian merchant Republic on a small island off the Coast of Somalia / South of the Arabian peninsula or thereabouts.

Edit: Beaten. And also apparently wrong about it being a Republic.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Talky posted:

In either 1066 or Old Gods (I forget which) there's a Nestorian merchant Republic on a small island off the Coast of Somalia / South of the Arabian peninsula or thereabouts.

Man, I wish that Socotra was a merchant republic, that would be hella cool. Having the only Indian Ocean merchant republic be a bunch of weird, isolated Christians would add a neat complication to playing on an Eastern coastline. It's just a titular duchy in the base game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mongols have a small chance to convert to Nestorian still, right? :getin:

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 27, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of bugs, I feel like I am getting the "I think X might fancy me" event an awful lot in the current release.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Had my first homosexual affair fire off.

My king gets prodded to inspect a bridge and then falls through it, with his steward heroically saving him from certain death. Then my king falls in love with him and took a risk, and the steward accepted. :3:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This is game is on sale on Steam and I am considering getting it. I have heard good things. I have also heard the UI is really bad. How long does it take to get into it enough to actually be playing it and having fun instead of just flailing at menus? I have a lot of games on steam, so I am wary of buying a game that would take hours to get to the fun. On the other hand, LPs I've seen make it seem really cool.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Stevefin posted:

Or you can kill them, one one cares cause they are filthy peasants

My Karma cares. They still cost if they're insigificant and I'm not wiping out 560 Karma to clear out my dungeons. That's a subjugation and some change.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wittgen posted:

This is game is on sale on Steam and I am considering getting it. I have heard good things. I have also heard the UI is really bad. How long does it take to get into it enough to actually be playing it and having fun instead of just flailing at menus? I have a lot of games on steam, so I am wary of buying a game that would take hours to get to the fun. On the other hand, LPs I've seen make it seem really cool.

Play the demo and see for yourself: http://www.crusaderkings.com/media/demos

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh, I didn't realize there was a demo. Thank you! That's really helpful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It will take hours though, just a warning. I'm probably an outlier but it was like 10 hours before I even understood what all the buttons did.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Zhaan posted:

My Karma cares. They still cost if they're insigificant and I'm not wiping out 560 Karma to clear out my dungeons. That's a subjugation and some change.

odd mine costs no karma to just kill them off in my hindu game

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
It only costs piety/karma to do it to someone of your religion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zhaan posted:

Are you Jainist? It wouldn't surprise me if the ahimsa-following Jainists have a Karma hit for executing anyone and everyone.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or just grab a province in Wales on your way through Ireland, and convert to Welsh. You get the awesome Longbow retinues, as well as the wonderful Tanistry succession law. Even as an unreformed pagan.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's a rather annoying bug as Muslims where it won't let you try and convince decadent members of your dynasty to change their ways. This wouldn't be so bad except that imprisoning them is always a ten point opinion malus to all your vassals and it never goes away. My God-Shah is keeping things afloat but he has -100 with literally everyone in the kingdom. Basically I've just been running non stop Furissiyah tournaments, since now you can do multiple per ruler? I guess that's a bug as well.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Man, the new Jewish start in Ethiopia sucks so much. I spent ten years saving up gold and fabricating claims on a neighbor, then hired a mercenary band and smushed him, and as soon as I was done three different large Miaphysite countries declared holy wars on me for my new duchy.

Now I'm thinking I'll restart, and instead of fabricating claims, I'll save up for both mercenary companies, declare a holy war for some Miaphysite duchy, and run my mercenaries in opposite directions to catch countries as they come in on me and destroy their armies before they can join together. Then I'll disband one merc company and use the other and my levies to win holy wars while everyone's manpower is exhausted.

The tough thing is there isn't anything stopping the big duchies from holy war-ing you while you wait for gold. You only start with two counties and ~550 in levies (and no marriage options.)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's tough just trying to be little Romania in this large world of crazy kings who want all the land. Especially since I have to start over thanks to the new patch (yes, I know I can roll back but I don't want to).

E: Yea, here it was in all it's glory.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wittgen posted:

Oh, I didn't realize there was a demo. Thank you! That's really helpful.

I played the demo when I first heard about this game here and had no idea what the hell. A few months later I came back and sunk some hours into and now I've played over 500, so...be persistent, it's a great game.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Randallteal posted:

Man, the new Jewish start in Ethiopia sucks so much. I spent ten years saving up gold and fabricating claims on a neighbor, then hired a mercenary band and smushed him, and as soon as I was done three different large Miaphysite countries declared holy wars on me for my new duchy.

Now I'm thinking I'll restart, and instead of fabricating claims, I'll save up for both mercenary companies, declare a holy war for some Miaphysite duchy, and run my mercenaries in opposite directions to catch countries as they come in on me and destroy their armies before they can join together. Then I'll disband one merc company and use the other and my levies to win holy wars while everyone's manpower is exhausted.

The tough thing is there isn't anything stopping the big duchies from holy war-ing you while you wait for gold. You only start with two counties and ~550 in levies (and no marriage options.)

I found it much easier than the Karnate start

and starting at 1066 helps as you have many more lands under your control

Abyss is the largest threat by far but even than they can only muster 2000-3000 troops, the lands to the north while looking huge only consist of 1-2 providence dynasty's with the largest being Alodia at 4.

Once I clean this up just a matter of waiting for Fatimid to brake down, though cause of the new decadence system may not be as simple compared to before hand

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Are you Jainist? It wouldn't surprise me if the ahimsa-following Jainists have a Karma hit for executing anyone and everyone.

Buddhist, currently the Emperor of Bengal. I don't know if Jains get a harder hit than 20, but it seems likely.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Is the new ironman hilariously slow for anyone else? The autosaving is taking well over twice as long to the point where the initial autosaves are as bad as the "I've played 400 years of history" autosaves. I seriously can't see myself using this mode anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

occipitallobe posted:

Is the new ironman hilariously slow for anyone else? The autosaving is taking well over twice as long to the point where the initial autosaves are as bad as the "I've played 400 years of history" autosaves. I seriously can't see myself using this mode anymore.

Yeah, I tried the game for a few minutes yesterday just to get that bugged cheevo (:whatup:) and the autosaves were insane. It takes more time to autosave than to progress 1 month in the game. So it's like 5 seconds of game, 15 seconds of autosave. I tried both compressed and uncompressed saves but it didn't seem to make a difference.

• Locked thread