Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

marktheando posted:

Well, about Jarl Borg- (episode title spoilers) episode 7 is called Blood Eagle....

I can't believe they're going to blow the blood eagle load so early in the show.

Now it'll be all been there done that when we get to see Aella all blood eagled by Ivar the Boneless after Ragnar goes into the snake pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just waiting to find out that that episode title is symbolic rather than literal.

It would figure.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I got a bit confused about the sons of Ragnar this episode. I know the oldest one is Björn and the youngest is called Sigurd Snake in the eye, so I thought that the other two in between were Ivar and Ubbe. But in this episode Aslaug called them Ubbe and Hvitserk? Does this mean we don't get Ivar the Boneless or have they merged Ivar and Halfdan Hvitserk?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fader Movitz posted:

I got a bit confused about the sons of Ragnar this episode. I know the oldest one is Björn and the youngest is called Sigurd Snake in the eye, so I thought that the other two in between were Ivar and Ubbe. But in this episode Aslaug called them Ubbe and Hvitserk? Does this mean we don't get Ivar the Boneless or have they merged Ivar and Halfdan Hvitserk?

Pretty sure we don't have Ivar yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
From now on every season has a new woman show up pregnant while Ragnar plays with a baby goat and tries to find a way to spin it to his new wife, the pregnant lady from last season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gyges posted:

From now on every season has a new woman show up pregnant while Ragnar plays with a baby goat and tries to find a way to spin it to his new wife, the pregnant lady from last season.

It's just like the Tudors, except with viable male births piling up everywhere.

Little known fact is that the entire Great Heathen Army is composed entirely of Ragnar's sons. All thousand of them.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

marktheando posted:

Pretty sure we don't have Ivar yet.

I suspect Auslaug's "we can't have sex for three days" pronouncement is foreshadowing the conception of Ivar.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I certainly did not expect to hear Wardruna in this week's episode. :stare:

Well done, History Channel. Well done.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Viking's Facebook team is excellent.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Zero One posted:

Viking's Facebook team is excellent.

wheres the baby goat

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Athropos posted:

wheres the baby goat

I like how History has started its own hashtag because of it. I love it. :allears:

Really glad this is going full steam now and holding up. As for ratings talk, the best part of the Deadline article is the bottom: "Vikings remains one of cable’s top programs overall, behind The Walking Dead and American Horror Story: Coven among all cable dramas this year, according to Nielsen." That is pretty loving high praise.

Really curious what's gonna happen to priesty, though. He's one of my favorite characters, but mostly because I want to see him go into all out Viking convert rage on the holy men who crucified him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty much went from a hit or miss show with some cool moments like the monastery bloodbath show to overall awesome show.

Hell even Siggy and Rollo are interesting this time around compared to their role in the first season.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Was it me or was the music in this episode particularly epic? I can't say I've really paid much attention to the soundtrack until now, but it seemed much more noticeable (and excellent)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rondette posted:

Was it me or was the music in this episode particularly epic? I can't say I've really paid much attention to the soundtrack until now, but it seemed much more noticeable (and excellent)

Here ya go, buddy :black101:

Feb 8, 2008
Great Odin's Raven!
http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/historys-vikings-renewed-for-third-season/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The History Channel posted:

“With its large, passionate and loyal fan base, Vikings has cemented History firmly in the scripted series genre, just as we are the leaders in reality television.”

Emphasis mine. That made me do a double-take just to make sure I wasn't reading some satire piece for a second. I think the bolded part is a really, really sad thing to see someone from the loving History Channel say, regardless of the success of Vikings.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Good that it got picked up for another season and that it's doing really well in it's timeslot. Hopefully the quality level stays this high throughout.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rondette posted:

This show has excellent music direction in general. They do a kickass job of building unnerving tension with these long, droning, drum-heavy background tracks. Looking back, it's what made scenes like the Ragnarok exposition really stand out.

Man, I'm going to say it, this is probably my absolute favourite show on TV right now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rondette posted:

On a side note the whole production cast liked Wardruna's music so much that the band was able to work on some new soundtracks in collaboration with Trevor Morris for new season

quote:

With the premiere of Vikings - season 2 just around the corner it is a great pleasure to announce that the Norse sounds of Wardruna will be present this season as well. In addition to the use of Wardruna songs, I'm also taking part in the actual score for the series and I have been collaborating with the award winning Vikings composer Trevor Morris since the autumn of 2013. I would like to use this opportunity to express my gratitude to the Vikings production and to Trevor Morris for welcoming me and Wardruna more into the heart of the show this season.

This was the track that was used for the monastery bloodbath from the first season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuop0346y0

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

etalian posted:

On a side note the whole production cast liked Wardruna's music so much that the band was able to work on some new soundtracks in collaboration with Trevor Morris for new season

This was the track that was used for the monastery bloodbath from the first season:

So that's why this season sounds that much more awesome

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

etalian posted:

Man, I was wondering why all the music in the show sounded so much like Wardruna. I knew the show used some of their stuff in season 1 (which actually introduced me to Wardruna), but I didn't realize that they were so involved in making the soundtrack. Awesome!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Someone mentioned earlier about Ragnar being thrown into a snake pit to be executed by Aelle, which sparked the Great Heathen Army, led by Ragnar's sons, to invade England in retribution.

Any readers here might be interested in Harry Harrison's The Hammer and the Cross, which picks up when Ragnar is being thrown to the snake pit. Just in case anyone was interested.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 26, 2014

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

life is killing me posted:

Any readers here might be interested in Harry Harrison's The Hammer and the Cross,
I certainly am, thank you!

Thanks as well to those who recommended Rome, I am enjoying the first season.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

I certainly am, thank you!

Thanks as well to those who recommended Rome, I am enjoying the first season.

Just be warned the books (trilogy) seem to have a slightly fantastic tinge to them, maybe a little moreso than Vikings. Also considering it's thought by many scholars that Ragnar from the Norse legend is a combination of any number of real Vikings who actually lived rather than a real dude in and of himself, though, you might have already assumed that it had a slightly mythological/fantasy tinge to it anyway. I wouldn't expect it to follow history too closely based on that, but it's a good read nonetheless with bases in some historical fact at least.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the gently caress has Bjorn been eating these last few years? His old dear needed to marry rich, just to keep up his supply of babay goat burgers.

Seriously, growth spurt much

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

What the gently caress has Bjorn been eating these last few years? His old dear needed to marry rich, just to keep up his supply of babay goat burgers.

Seriously, growth spurt much

It's viking puberty. But actually, growth spurt aside, I was pleasantly surprised by how well older Bjorn works. Same natural mannerism, same (even better in some ways!) chemistry with Ragnar and Lagertha. It's just great casting, overall.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Much better than with Octavian in HBO's Rome.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I still miss younger Born though, that kid was awesome.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

savinhill posted:

I still miss younger Born though, that kid was awesome.

He was, but we're going to have to even more serious time skipping to get the sons of Ragnar up to pillaging age. Ivar the Boneless, the son with the coolest name, hasn't even been born yet!

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

This is the only show that could get me to turn off the NCAA tourny

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Love how awkward this is.

Edit: Creating Chaos? Of course Floki speaks up immediately to get chosen.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
yeah Floki would've been awesome at burning stuff :smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
He's become the King's pet pagan. :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ragnar's going to get up in Borg's face. He can't do things on the DL.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's a funny looking crown he had there. Like a metal Burger King crown.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Zero One posted:

He's become the King's pet pagan. :(

and yet it helps that woman

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hell yeah, ax to the face

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Guerrilla Vikings is a pretty awesome premise.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Sash! posted:

That's a funny looking crown he had there. Like a metal Burger King crown.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that

also that's some brutal scrapping there. This show is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Like Fadher like Son :black101:

• Locked thread