Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I'm mostly just bummed out about Ware :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

^^--wasn't the outlook for him supposed to be pretty good before that play?

If it helps any the Chiefs are likely starting a 2013 fifth round pick and everyone is absolutely convinced he will be a major upgrade. Or at least a noticeable upgrade.

This doesn't help as much if you don't really really hate the safety you had last year.

They already loving fired the safety from last year. :frogout:

Besides, the Falcons already poached the dog-poo poo out of the chiefs former 1st round picks. (Jackson, Asamoah, Arenas).

loving Scott Pioli.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

nerve posted:

It's funny seeing who can sasflowchart harder about their former DE

Huh? Peppers was a good signing though. He wasn't worth the 18 or so million that he was owed. But if he had restructed down to the 9 mil or so number I would have loved to keep him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Jared Allen had 11.5 sacks last year and only 1.5 (I missed the half sack game against Washington) of them came on a grass field. The Vikings play on Field Turf because they were in a dome.

Eh, I call bullshit. He played 10/16 games on turf, which is gonna skew that number anyway (not to mention 8/10 of those at home, where the defense performs better in general, benefiting from confusion on the line due to crowd noise.)

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 27, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aniki posted:

As for Allen specifically, I did feel like he slowed down a bit last season. There were definitely some plays where he was half a step slow that it seemed like he would have made in the past. His run defense also dropped considerably to the point where I think he should be used more as a situational player, but he doesn't like taking snaps off, though he may be more willing to accept that now.

Yep, this is what I've been saying since last season. And what I said in this (and the preview!) thread. I just feel that the contract he was given is too much for a situational pass rusher, which is entirely opinion based, and if he's used as an every down guy then I think it's a bad contract because I don't think he can do it anymore. The grass thing I just threw out as a thing because I found it interesting.

Chilichimp posted:

Eh, I call bullshit. He played 10/16 games on turf, which is gonna skew that number anyway (not to mention 8/10 of those at home, where the defense performs better in general, benefiting from confusion on the line due to crowd noise.)

IcePhoenix posted:

Some of it could be home vs away

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 27, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guys who can sack the QB on passing downs sound really valuable to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yep, this is what I've been saying since last season. And what I said in this (and the preview!) thread. I just feel that the contract he was given is too much for a situational pass rusher, which is entirely opinion based, and if he's used as an every down guy then I think it's a bad contract because I don't think he can do it anymore. The grass thing I just threw out as a thing because I found it interesting.

The Market sets the prices of what players are worth. He got more than what J-Pep got and less than what Demarcus Ware got.

In a Bubble sure. He probably got paid too much. But in comparison with his peers he got paid the right amount. See QB contracts for reference.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Rasczak posted:

Grass is green

Kryptonite is green

Grass is... Kryptonite? :stare:

Holy poo poo this is how that Entourage dude broke his leg IT ALL MAKES SENSE

Buffalo Wild Wings was trying to save us from a lovely movie

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Guys who can sack the QB on passing downs sound really valuable to me.

Being a fan in a division with Cam Newton, I'm also interested in guys who can sack the QB on running downs.

Every time Cam keeps the loving ball I'm like :suspense:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

The Market sets the prices of what players are worth. He got more than what J-Pep got and less than what Demarcus Ware got.

In a Bubble sure. He probably got paid too much. But in comparison with his peers he got paid the right amount. See QB contracts for reference.

Agreed, you don't sign Peppers, Allen, or Ware without paying a few million more than they're probably worth in production.

Don't like it? Draft better, rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Agreed, you don't sign Peppers, Allen, or Ware without paying a few million more than they're probably worth in production.

Don't like it? Draft better, rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

:smith: That Shea McClellin pick

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Dexo posted:

Much like people forgetting how to drive in snow year after year, fans tend to forget that free agents get overpaid year after year.

DE was a position of need for Chicago, especially after letting Peppers go, so they signed the best one available...get over it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd rather have Wootton

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd rather have Wootton

Did they not have enough cap room for both Wooton and Allen? Wootton did seem like an up and coming player...plus he ended Brett Favre so that should be good for something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd rather have Wootton

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/Top-10-Wootton-punt-block-return-TD/156a081c-4afd-4652-82b3-89d3297d6f18

In what was probably the happiest moment of your life.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Shath Hole posted:

Did they not have enough cap room for both Wooton and Allen? Wootton did seem like an up and coming player...plus he ended Brett Favre so that should be good for something.

To be honest it was probably Wootton or Izzy not Wootton or Allen. Izzy was far, far cheaper than Wootton. :(

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

@JasonLaCanfora
Mark Sanchez is signing with the Eagles today

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Holy moly

Albert Breer posted:

Jared Allen's deal looks clean. Bases of $3M and $1M for '14 and '15 fully guaranteed, $11.5M roster bonus for 3/15 guar for skill/injury.

Allen has base salaries of $8.5M for '16 and $8M for '17, basically team options. If he posts a 12-sack season b/w now & '16, then '17 voids

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ozu posted:

@JasonLaCanfora
Mark Sanchez is signing with the Eagles today
We won't be able to call him Sanchize anymore. We need a new nickname.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Quest For Glory II posted:

Generic Bench Player number 9.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

QB Eagles

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

In retrospect, QBeagles would have been a great nickname for Mike Vick.

For Sanchez, how about we go with, "Qbwwwhhhaaat?" :what:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

stupid moron

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I want Foles to be injured for the 2014 season and the Eagles have to start Mark Sanchez every game. Do not deny us this national treasure!

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Kirios posted:

I want Foles to be injured for the 2014 season and the Eagles have to start Mark Sanchez every game. Do not deny us this national treasure!

Eagles are going for the QB with the best QBR and the QB with the worst QBR through the preseason.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

The "Pedro" thing is probably gonna stick because people absolutely will never get tired of pointing out that Foles has a resemblance to Napoleon Dynamite.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

You can sign Ryan Clark. He was only responsible for like 12 plays over 50 yards last year. He fell off a cliff so fast it's like he turned 60 overnight

I'm so glad the Redskins let him go all those years ago. If they kept him he probably would've gotten murdered out there.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hindquartersback.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chilichimp posted:

In retrospect, QBeagles would have been a great nickname for Mike Vick.

you know who it was a really good nickname for?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Moreno 1 year deal with Miami.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The "Pedro" thing is probably gonna stick because people absolutely will never get tired of pointing out that Foles has a resemblance to Napoleon Dynamite.

Chip brought this on himself.

Might as well start calling him QBicles, because he's gonna be riding a desk in the QB training room.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 27, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

The Benchize

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If he was backing up Matt Ryan in Atlanta we could of just called him "Dirty Sanchez" (yes I realize that joke was too easy)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nerve posted:

It's funny seeing who can sasflowchart harder about their former DE
I could do this with Houston until the Allen signing :v:. As a primary pass rushing threat he didn't do that well last year so he might not be worth it in that capacity, but as a complement to Allen on the other end or next to him at DT they should be able to help each other out.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Bucs signed Louis Murphy. Wasn't he pretty good at some point?
He played with JaMarcus so who knows. They had their moments, and the usual JaMarcus misses of course, but Murphy had some bad drop issues/mental errors at times too. Like most receivers the inconsistency was the biggest issue.

I lost track of him after getting cut from Oakland though...but I'm guessing he still has issues considering he's a FA now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Raiders' march to a marginally better record is almost complete.

@RapSheet
Maurice Jones-Drew is visiting the #Raiders tonight and tomorrow, per source. Wow. Could get serious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

@RapSheet
Maurice Jones-Drew is visiting the #Raiders tonight and tomorrow, per source. Wow. Could get serious.

A dumb Idzik move looks to be narrowly averted.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ehud posted:

Moreno 1 year deal with Miami.

Reported to be worth just $3m. Good pickup. He should immediately be the full-time 3rd down back at least. Nice to not have to watch Daniel Thomas or Lamar Miller miss a blocking assignment and get Tannehill crunched.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Ozu posted:

@RapSheet

I almost think this Raiders team will be good enough to win 6 games.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, what's the current haul looking like for the Raiders this free agency period with their crazy cap space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I almost think this Raiders team will be good enough to win 6 games.

Sounds like they are hoping to get a deal done quick. 89, you'll have to google it. There's been no poo poo like 10+ signings already. Woodley, Antonio Smith, and Tuck are the big ones though.

• Locked thread