Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

and here, we see the baby airbus boeing using its larger compatriot as cover to avoid predation...

(Sorry, I'm not a proper plane fan yet)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

:spergin: That's a baby Boeing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Looks like an unidentified lizard-ship to me.

What are they hiding?

Looks like a barge with a Stülcken derrick of some sort, wonder why it'd be that far out by itself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

simble posted:

:spergin: That's a baby Boeing.

Is that a 737? I knew those bastards were huge, but, whoa.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that a 737? I knew those bastards were huge, but, whoa.

Yes it's a 737 and yes the A380 is huge. The 777 is also pretty huge compared to a 737, they liked to say that the engines had the same diameter as a 737's fuselage.

Also the photograph has some perspective distortion so the size difference is going to be a bit off.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that a 737?

I'm pretty sure Southwest exclusively flies 737s.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

I'm pretty sure Southwest exclusively flies 737s.

Yep, 737-only. They got some 717-200s when they bought AirTran, but they're leasing those out to Delta as they can.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ola posted:

They are also known to confuse journalists and editors all around the world who will invariable call them "pilot tubes".

They're also known to confuse loving morons in the TSA who think the "NO STEP" signs on airplanes mean "PUT YOUR FEET RIGHT HERE."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5613502&page=1

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

and here, we see the baby airbus boeing using its larger compatriot as cover to avoid predation...

(Sorry, I'm not a proper plane fan yet)

Is this photoshopped or are two planes really allowed to land simultaneously at parallel runways ?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dr. Klas posted:

Is this photoshopped or are two planes really allowed to land simultaneously at parallel runways ?

Every time I've flown into SFO, I've been racing another plane.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like a barge with a Stülcken derrick of some sort, wonder why it'd be that far out by itself.

It's picking pieces of MH370 off the sea floor, obviously. :tinfoil:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

hobbesmaster posted:

Also the photograph has some perspective distortion so the size difference is going to be a bit off.
Yeah, the 380 is even bigger then it seems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr. Klas posted:

The frequency at which this happens makes me think that it's actually preferred to land concurrently.

brains
May 12, 2004

Dr. Klas posted:

it's the point of parallel runways :ssh:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The frequency at which this happens makes me think that it's actually preferred to land concurrently.

LAX doesn't do that very often actually, as far as I can tell. Or rather, they do do parallel runways, but it's 24R and 25L, not what that picture is showing which is both of the 24s.

I read that the reason delays pile up when SFO is foggy is because they can't use the runways in parallel when the visibility falls below a certain threshold, but I am not an air traffic controller.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Dr. Klas posted:

Simultaneous operations on parallel runways are allowed given certain weather, and runway spacing conditions (distance between runway centerlines).

Depending on the conditions, aircraft may or may not have to be informed of each other. Dallas Ft Worth Intl can land 3 aircraft simultaneously in bad weather.

StandardVC10 posted:

LAX doesn't do that very often actually, as far as I can tell. Or rather, they do do parallel runways, but it's 24R and 25L, not what that picture is showing which is both of the 24s.

I read that the reason delays pile up when SFO is foggy is because they can't use the runways in parallel when the visibility falls below a certain threshold, but I am not an air traffic controller.

You're completely correct. San Francisco's parallel runways are too close together to allow simultaneous operations in bad weather. You're correct about Los Angeles using the outboard parallels for landing as well. That's a very common configuration for large airports. Depart the inside parallels, arrive on the outer parallels. This gives you more room laterally between arriving airplanes, allowing more simultaneous options.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 27, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MIA is approved for simultaneous parallel arrivals, as well as simultaneous, convergent arrivals to intersecting runways. Aircraft can land on runway 12, simultaneously to aircraft landing runway 9, which intersects at the southeast corner of the field.

It's fun to watch. I've got no idea whether it's in the 7110, or if it's a special approval.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like it could be a cable laying ship, or maybe a huge trawler, but it's probably a massive HF antenna array for broadcasting mind control radiation.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Last time I landed in Chicago we did a parallel landing with another jet and it was pretty groovy to watch one plane's approach from out the window of the other. We pretty much perfectly matched in airspeed and altitude the whole way in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

From the photographer: Shot from the same spot with the same exposure and framing 1m18s apart and aligned by the street signs below, an overlay size comparison of the 737-700 and the A380-800. The 737 landed first. Note the identical altitude of both airplanes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Ferret King posted:

Simultaneous operations on parallel runways are allowed given certain weather, and runway spacing conditions (distance between runway centerlines).

Depending on the conditions, aircraft may or may not have to be informed of each other. Dallas Ft Worth Intl can land 3 aircraft simultaneously in bad weather.

Phoenix Sky Harbor lands planes simultaneously on the parallels, but I have no idea if they can do that in bad weather, since we never have any. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Phoenix Sky Harbor lands planes simultaneously on the parallels, but I have no idea if they can do that in bad weather, since we never have any. :v:

I never sit around long enough to watch but it always seems like they're staggered by ~30 sec, one runway then the other.

And you can't mention PHX airport weather without mentioning the day we went off the charts.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

sellouts posted:

From the photographer: Shot from the same spot with the same exposure and framing 1m18s apart and aligned by the street signs below, an overlay size comparison of the 737-700 and the A380-800. The 737 landed first. Note the identical altitude of both airplanes.

This: I upload to that site- and I am getting so loving sick of people saying a composite image actually happened. Anyone who has an exclusively aviation media twitter probably wants that image to go away by now.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Locator posted:

The joke among aviators and ATC about Phoenix is that they poo poo themselves the second a cloud appears in the sky. Delays for everyone!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

The joke among aviators and ATC about Phoenix is that they poo poo themselves the second a cloud appears in the sky. Delays for everyone!

We have a joke about how if there's a cloud between Indy Center and Chicago Center, we're getting all their O'hare arrivals.

Except it's not a joke. We've had a loving line moving through our airspace, and there was what appeared to be a single cell along their arrival, and they put the playbook into effect that sends them through KC center right into this line. Our traffic management unit gets no say when it comes to stuff like that and it's pretty pathetic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At MCO I've occasionally see 3 coming in at once, I'm sure they get 4 wide on a regular basis.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Now I can't stop thinking about In N Out.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Okay, what is this? Some milgoon break opsec and post a selfie in front of it!
http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.a...mentId=blogDest

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014

Powercube posted:

Okay, what is this? Some milgoon break opsec and post a selfie in front of it!
http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.a...mentId=blogDest

Look like a Nighthawk to be honest, at least from the second picture.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Calidar posted:

Look like a Nighthawk

Not really.

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014

Have you got a better suggestion?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Calidar posted:

Have you got a better suggestion?

(e: but you know, not a -B but likely a -C (since the contrail looks like 2 engines) or -C scaled up to the actual intended 35' wingspan)

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 28, 2014

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014

SybilVimes posted:

(e: but you know, not a -B but likely a -C (since the contrail looks like 2 engines) or -C scaled up to the actual intended 35' wingspan)

I've never seen anything like that before. Whats it called?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Calidar posted:

I've never seen anything like that before. Whats it called?

Gonna take a wild stab and guess it's an X-48B

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 28, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
NATS made a cool thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrZSelcIxWM

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Gonna take a wild stab and guess it's an X-48B

Looks more like this X-45C Phantom Ray mockup.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

NATS made a cool thing

Dang. That is very cool indeed.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

We have a joke about how if there's a cloud between Indy Center and Chicago Center, we're getting all their O'hare arrivals.

Except it's not a joke. We've had a loving line moving through our airspace, and there was what appeared to be a single cell along their arrival, and they put the playbook into effect that sends them through KC center right into this line. Our traffic management unit gets no say when it comes to stuff like that and it's pretty pathetic.

Not a joke in the NY area either. The second a cloud rolls through ZNY flights start holding.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Burt Rutan gave a talk last year to a bunch of old white people called "The Struggles of a Retiring Airplane Designer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OZQ-9Nd76g

It's long (about 1 hour) but he touches on some of his accomplishments over the last nearly 40 years of running Rutan Aircraft Factory and Scaled Composites.

He also talks about how he was retired for only about 12 months before he started designing the twin engine motorglider seaplane he's working on now. Unfortunately the camera at this point starts deliberately panning past the screen so that the details aren't shown, but he talks a fair bit about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Nothing about birds at JFK yet?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/JetBlue-Flight-Diverted-Westchester-JFK-Bird-Strike-252896971.html

Death to all seagulls.

Edit: diverted to JFK, took off from White Plains.