Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

The javelin catapult is the usual weapon for that, it holds 200 or so ammo and fires one at a time and completely eliminates dash cooldown.

It does have the downside of being ONLY useful for dash cancelling, unlike shields which you can actually use for other stuff. Overall it depends on the situation and your own playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

It does have the downside of being ONLY useful for dash cancelling, unlike shields which you can actually use for other stuff. Overall it depends on the situation and your own playstyle.

Catapults are essential for hardlocking systems.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
There are three main options for dash cancelling:

1) Any melee + any shield (ion shields preferred): Use the shield reflect to do the cancelling. Has the side benefit of letting you do counters too. Ion shields tend to have the fastest counters, but are also the weakest shields defensively.

2) Any melee + (Twin) Javelin Catapult: This is the fastest option available. The catapult has a huge ammo supply, fires instantly, and also gives you a vertical thrust option. The downside is that it is pretty much a useless weapon and has no defensive value either.

3) Twin blast spears: This melee weapon can cancel its own dash, and firing it has a moderate horizontal thrust included in the animation. This only uses one weapon slot instead of two. The downsides are a low ammo count (reloading every 5 or 10 thrusts), inability to cancel in directions other than forward, and as a weapon itself it is inferior to most of the other melee options.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, unless I was hallucinating, I think the Javelin Storm can dash cancel too.

I mean, maybe not as well, and the 15 round mag means it can crap out on you at the worst time, but it's a good weapon on its own merits in addition to increasing your move speed.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

FuSchnick posted:

There are three main options for dash cancelling:

1) Any melee + any shield (ion shields preferred): Use the shield reflect to do the cancelling. Has the side benefit of letting you do counters too. Ion shields tend to have the fastest counters, but are also the weakest shields defensively.

2) Any melee + (Twin) Javelin Catapult: This is the fastest option available. The catapult has a huge ammo supply, fires instantly, and also gives you a vertical thrust option. The downside is that it is pretty much a useless weapon and has no defensive value either.

3) Twin blast spears: This melee weapon can cancel its own dash, and firing it has a moderate horizontal thrust included in the animation. This only uses one weapon slot instead of two. The downsides are a low ammo count (reloading every 5 or 10 thrusts), inability to cancel in directions other than forward, and as a weapon itself it is inferior to most of the other melee options.

The flashing spear series can also self cancel and you only need one, so you can have three other weapons selected. Dash, fire flashing spear, dash fire flashing spear, and so on.

E: Actually, most melee weapons that don't go through multiple attack combo when fired repeatedly can self cancel, the swords and hammers just attack so slowly that self canceling doesn't really speed you up much. Though I think that I found an axe that attacked fast enough to have reasonable self canceling ability, and there might be more fast melee weapons since I'm only at level 30-40 weapons myself.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 26, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oo Koo posted:

The flashing spear series can also self cancel and you only need one, so you can have three other weapons selected. Dash, fire flashing spear, dash fire flashing spear, and so on.

That's pretty slow compared to other cancel options though.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's pretty slow compared to other cancel options though.

Still faster than just plain dashing and you get to have three weapons equipped.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of those out. It'd be nice to have a third "real" gun equipped. My problem with Fencer is if I really want to accomplish something difficult, with a few level exceptions, I'm better off switching to Ranger (haven't really got much armor/guns on other two yet, new EDF and dark souls at the same time is tough).

I wish he either:

A) had guns that did way more damage or didn't always have some combo of terrible recoil, reload time, capacity, or startup.

or

B) Had a much bigger armor bonus, so just tanking it up and being in melee all the time was more viable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This game does not want to drop me a Monster. It'll give me the Thunder Rifle 40s, but those won't help me on the last level. At least stuff like Plasmafall makes it funnier to play Den of Thieves over and over and over and over...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

MassRafTer posted:

This game does not want to drop me a Monster. It'll give me the Thunder Rifle 40s, but those won't help me on the last level. At least stuff like Plasmafall makes it funnier to play Den of Thieves over and over and over and over...

I kind of hope they change the weapon acquisition system for their next title. I don't want to keep playing late levels in inferno, but I assume it's the only way to get the insane weapons to drop, but at the same time I have absolutely no idea what the weapons even are or I'm even playing the right levels! It would be absoutely amazing if enemies just gave you points or money, and then you got to "shop" for weapons. They could keep the fun element of surprise intact by hiding the weapon name and descriptions until after you buy, so all you'd see before purchasing is "lv 85 shotgun."

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

MassRafTer posted:

I picked up Monster last night. First match in a while, jumped in on hardest and got it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Polo-Rican posted:

I kind of hope they change the weapon acquisition system for their next title. I don't want to keep playing late levels in inferno, but I assume it's the only way to get the insane weapons to drop, but at the same time I have absolutely no idea what the weapons even are or I'm even playing the right levels! It would be absoutely amazing if enemies just gave you points or money, and then you got to "shop" for weapons. They could keep the fun element of surprise intact by hiding the weapon name and descriptions until after you buy, so all you'd see before purchasing is "lv 85 shotgun."

Yeah if not for fan-made charts I'd have wasted a LOT of time farming levels that couldn't possibly give me better loot than I had. And the wide spread available on inferno means you be trying an awful long time to get the supreme stuff. They could keep what they have now, but also add the "shop" system like you suggest where you could still pick them up for free, but have them able to simply unlock eventually.

Maybe some people like surprises, but I'd prefer if each class had every single weapon shown on a chart with the legend "to unlock, collect a weapon drop on difficulty/level OR purchase for X".

Just don't tell them about microtransactions :eek:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah if not for fan-made charts

Link? One was linked earlier but it was a private invite-only google doc.

edit: found one - do you know of one better than this?: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzMFU1jQ797wRzItUFZsLTlBSzQ/edit

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That's the one I've been using.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I still like this site a lot. It's in Japanese but you can tell what things are by counting weapon categories / checking the level of the weapons, and it includes nice checkboxes for you to keep track of things. Top row of buttons is classes (and Vehicle), second row of buttons are weapon categories. The big blue button just below them saves your checkmarks.

As for weapon drops per level, I use this chart. Left row is offline, right row is online.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Stelas posted:

I still like this site a lot. It's in Japanese
I use this one, but Chrome translates the page automatically for you.

I think a shop type system would ruin a lot of the fun of the game, personally. Everyone would know what the "best" weapons were, so everyone would be using the same weapons a lot of the time. Some of the fun of playing with friends is seeing what new toys everyone gets, using different equipment/classes etc. With a shop system everyone would be using the same stuff all the time.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Hactar posted:

I think a shop type system would ruin a lot of the fun of the game, personally. Everyone would know what the "best" weapons were, so everyone would be using the same weapons a lot of the time. Some of the fun of playing with friends is seeing what new toys everyone gets, using different equipment/classes etc. With a shop system everyone would be using the same stuff all the time.

Well, the idea would be that buying stuff like the Lysander Z would cost a billion "coins" or whatever, and the only practical way to get a billion coins would be to play inferno because enemies would drop way more coins on inferno. So it's not like everyone could just buy the best stuff right away. The benefit of this system is, you can play any inferno level and still work towards that Z, rather than playing the same levels again and again. But no use arguing about hypothetical gameplay elements that will never be implemented.

Has there been any discussion on porting this to PC? This game, on PC, with some mods... holy crap. Considering 2017 was never ported, there's pretty much zero chance of a port, right?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 27, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Early on some guys at D3 teased about maybe getting a port if people spammed their Facebook page about it enough but I haven't seen any mention of it since.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I have off work tonight and tomorrow so if any Xbox 360 goons wanted to do some online co op on early hard mode or mid normal mode I should be available. I usually play as an Air Raider with just below 900 health. Gamertag is Duke Silver 8.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Just got this game last night and I'm having a loving blast, the cheesy voice acting and physics really bring this game together. Too bad about the FPS though, but whatever.

I'll prob be on 6 pm PST all night, my PS3 name is IAMCRAIG if anyone wants to play, I THINK I have a working ps3 headset.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This game hates me. It will not drop a Monster S for me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MassRafTer posted:

This game hates me. It will not drop a Monster S for me.
Me either. I've played Death Queen on Hardest probably 40 times now and have gotten most of the weapons possible other than the Monster S and any lightning guns above level 52. Weird.

I don't know if anyone posted about it, but DLC 3 is out. It's pretty tough, had to step back down to Hard for the few missions I've tried so far.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
God, I hate these Retarius spiders. Why can they shoot webs thru buildings?

I remember watching last week a video by a Japanese guy on Inferno which had a bunch of Retarius, playing a Fencer, and he basically dash-cancelled up to each Retarius to blast them personally. I thought he was doing so as to clear out the level the as fast as possible with a gimmick build, but now I understand why: The web-spam is ridiculous, so you have no choice but to rush each Retarius as fast as possible and take them out at all costs.

EDIT: Here's the same guy doing map 5 on Inferno with Fencer, against the Retarius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaAuFD24CII

Funny, I was going to try his strategy next: double-up on those jack-hammer fists and go after the spiders.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 30, 2014

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

nnnotime posted:

God, I hate these Retarius spiders. Why can they shoot webs thru buildings?

I remember watching last week a video by a Japanese guy on Inferno which had a bunch of Retarius, playing a Fencer, and he basically dash-cancelled up to each Retarius to blast them personally. I thought he was doing so as to clear out the level the as fast as possible with a gimmick build, but now I understand why: The web-spam is ridiculous, so you have no choice but to rush each Retarius as fast as possible and take them out at all costs.

This.

gently caress retarius' webbing you from a mile away through multiple buildings, it's almost enough to ruin the game for me.

Also just got roomba bombs for my air raider, they seem pointless, yet I can't stop using them!

Oh, also another weapon for fencer's that lets it dash cancel: vibro blade/d-blade or whatever it's called, the big red box cutter. I found this out during a mission where I had to fight a bunch of flying drones and had brought two gatling guns for my second set of weapons.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This.

gently caress retarius' webbing you from a mile away through multiple buildings, it's almost enough to ruin the game for me.

Through multiple buildings, clipping through the ground if theres any terrain in the way as well. And you can't even dive into a vehicle to break it. Though you CAN wedge yourself somewhere. After a while the webbing 'breaks'. But it does damage to you while its pulling you regardless and making yourself stationary can invite more pain too.

On an unrelated note, does the multiplayer have no cutscenes or credits at all? I just beat the game with a friend, and the last stage sort of just ends abruptly. No credits or anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Re: Retarius bitching

"Well at least now that I'm playing Wing Diver, if they web me I can just fly faster towards them!"

The web slows you down when trying to fly towards them :downs: The web both pulls, and pushes at the same time apparently.

EDIT: vvv Oh right, I also hate the fact that if they are on the other side of their web, you can't hurt them. Not even with (Normal Mode run through, at least) Rockets and grenades.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 30, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yeah I feel like the Retarius are simply broken and probably shouldn't have been included in the game, given their current state. Just about everything involving their attack barely works. The game can't even render the web in a straight line between you and the spider - half the time the web is shooting at some seemingly arbitrary angle, and you can't even see how it's connected to the spider that's pulling you in.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I think they'd be fine if they just fixed the whole shooting through walls thing or if the strand broke after a certain amount of time. If you get hit by it through a wall as a Ranger and get trapped in a doorway or something, it's a mission restart. That's not fun at all.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Obsurveyor posted:

I think they'd be fine if they just fixed the whole shooting through walls thing or if the strand broke after a certain amount of time. If you get hit by it through a wall as a Ranger and get trapped in a doorway or something, it's a mission restart. That's not fun at all.
Agreed. Does D3 Publisher have a technical support forum somewhere? Even if it's in Japanese I don't mind trying to send a note to them about it if they consider the shooting thru walls a glitch and if they could fix it in a future patch.

In the meantime I'll just play the Retaris levels on a lower difficulty if the webbing gets too crazy, or if I can't gimmick the level on my preferred difficulty.

How many levels can Retaris cause a problem? I know levels 5 and 9 have a large number of Retaris.

EDIT:
:smith: あなたは、厳しい現実に私の夢をつぶすが、私はあなたが正しいことを知っています。 (bad translation: you crush my dreams with the harsh reality, but I know you are correct.)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 30, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nnnotime posted:

Agreed. Does D3 Publisher have a technical support forum somewhere? Even if it's in Japanese I don't mind trying to send a note to them about it if they consider the shooting thru walls a glitch and if they could fix it in a future patch.
It's been out for nine months in Japan by now, I think the patching period of the game is over.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

The strand does break after a certain amount of time. It just generally seems to take roughly the same amount of time it would take to pull you to the web. Can be handy when theres no enemies other than it around though it still does damage while its waiting for it to break.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
On one hand I am upset that I am not meeting my quota for killing GIANT INSECTS. But on the other, I'm getting hatemail from people who are bad at Dark Souls 2.

I should really play more EDF. Almost everyone I added from the spreadsheet started playing DkS2 also and it is kinda depressing that so few are playing now, and then the few who added me after said title was released and never really got the chance to play with yet. :smith:

I agree with the sentiment of "gently caress Retiarius", but if they're really getting that bad for me I will find a way to snipe them from well-outside their webbing range.

e: wow i can't believe i hosed-up that tag

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 2, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I haven't played much since my dad went in for surgery a few weeks ago and now am just waiting for him to feel up to playing again. Not to mention my real life got real hectic last week.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I plan to hit the EDF hard tonight on PSN if anyone is looking for an excuse. On as of this post.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 1, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I feel so dumb, the Laguna Blaster isn't a point and shoot like the Spritefall, it's a laser version of the lionic fire support.

Also I'm down to 1 bug kill achievement. Then its just the difficulty completion achievements and I'm done.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guys Retarius levels are a lot of fun, just use Plasmafall! No need to worry about the webs clipping through walls when you've knocked them all down.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
It took me over an hour and a half to beat the final level on Inferno with the Air Raider, but I did it and got the all Inferno clear achievement. I think I'm going to get PTSD over 100%ing this game.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

Neo Helbeast posted:

It took me over an hour and a half to beat the final level on Inferno with the Air Raider, but I did it and got the all Inferno clear achievement. I think I'm going to get PTSD over 100%ing this game.

I'm curious, how much armor did you have?

I'm assuming it's in the thousands, so equally curious if you had any decent method for getting it. In my love/hate relationship with the game, I'm trending towards hate lately: as I've amassed a lot of great weapons for various classes, but the lack the armor to tackle a lot of the tougher levels in the hardest/inferno difficulties; the amount grinding for armor to make that possible is pretty outrageous, so I wonder how people manage.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Level 12 of DLC 2 is the best I've found for armor farming.

Clear up until the metal spider nest, then just keep killing them. Each spider drops about three various crates, and on Easy they're not dangerous at all. Playing split-screen as the same character supposedly doubles the yield, but I haven't tested it myself.

That said, it's still going to take hours to get a decent armor boost, especially if you're playing as a Wing Diver.

I don't mind farming for weapons (since the worthwhile levels are actually challenging), but for armor I wish I could just edit my save and say "hey, let's just pretend I spent 10 hours mindlessly grinding for armor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

wonderboy posted:

I'm curious, how much armor did you have?

I'm assuming it's in the thousands, so equally curious if you had any decent method for getting it. In my love/hate relationship with the game, I'm trending towards hate lately: as I've amassed a lot of great weapons for various classes, but the lack the armor to tackle a lot of the tougher levels in the hardest/inferno difficulties; the amount grinding for armor to make that possible is pretty outrageous, so I wonder how people manage.

I had 7800ish armor, a lot of my completion of levels just came down to sheer luck, I could basically only do the last five levels if enemies just dropped health nonstop and the final level wouldn't be beatable at all if it wasn't for the indestructible overpass right at the start.

I got the majority of my armor from grinding weapons in DLC 2 Mission 16. After I got my last Air Raider gun, I used my Air Raider as a revive buddy for all my other characters.