Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So apparently my mom is friends with David Hobbs, former racing driver and current F1 commentator. Today in the mail I got these two cards from my mom, signed and personalized by Hobbs. A nice after-work surprise.

He was also in Cars 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Crosspost from the "DD a classic" thread

1963 Super Stock Dodge 330

1964 Ford Thunderbolt

Here's a cool article about A/FX

I figured this would be a better place to discuss the different Factory Experimental classes in the NHRA in the early 60's, and how they created muscle cars for the street and later led to what we know now as the "funny car".

If anyone tries to tell you the GTO was the first muscle car, slap them for being wrong.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

Crosspost from the "DD a classic" thread

1963 Super Stock Dodge 330

1964 Ford Thunderbolt

Here's a cool article about A/FX

I figured this would be a better place to discuss the different Factory Experimental classes in the NHRA in the early 60's, and how they created muscle cars for the street and later led to what we know now as the "funny car".

If anyone tries to tell you the GTO was the first muscle car, slap them for being wrong.

Ahem.

*Points at the 1961 Impala SS 409.*

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So apparently my mom is friends with David Hobbs, former racing driver and current F1 commentator. Today in the mail I got these two cards from my mom, signed and personalized by Hobbs. A nice after-work surprise.

dude that's rad as hell, I love me some F1 and the is a all around cool dude.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stolen from PYF:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pop-up headlights, for all their mechanical headaches, will never not be awesome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Stolen from PYF:

Who went back in time and found a completely unmolested FD? They're as rare a unicorn as the mythical unmolested 2JZ supra.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Slavvy posted:

Who went back in time and found a completely unmolested FD? They're as rare a unicorn as the mythical unmolested 2JZ supra.

Australia, Australia we love you. Well, at least there are two unmolested ones running around my area. About five hosed ones sitting in sheds and outside mechanics though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrYenko posted:

Ahem.

*Points at the 1961 Impala SS 409.*

Full size car with a full size engine. Muscle cars are intermediates with big engines :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

This guy started out at like 40k for a bone stock 46k FD

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1993-mazda-rx-7-twin-turbo-rare-mint-one-owner/577253811?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

he is down to 20k now.

There is a Toyota dealer in Calgary with mk3 supra with 89 kilometers(not thousand) but they were asking $49k and recently raised it to $69k

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

Full size car with a full size engine. Muscle cars are intermediates with big engines :colbert:

And then there's the Cobra, which even today is in a category all on its own.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fucknag posted:

The Sunbeam Tiger would like to have a word with you!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And just how many 427 Tigers were made again? :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Tiger was a smaller car, though.

You're right, it's no excuse :negative: Bill Cosby should've got a Tiger instead.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

The Cobra isn't really comparable to anything. It's like the Venom GT of the 60s.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Powershift posted:

This guy started out at like 40k for a bone stock 46k FD

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1993-mazda-rx-7-twin-turbo-rare-mint-one-owner/577253811?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

he is down to 20k now.

There is a Toyota dealer in Calgary with mk3 supra with 89 kilometers(not thousand) but they were asking $49k and recently raised it to $69k

Canada is basically an impossible market for FDs, every kid who wants one just buys a beat to poo poo RHD for 10k or less. Also, lol automatic RX7.

I almost bought a LHD one for 15k with a fresh rebuild and a huge spreadsheet of replaced parts, but the owner turned out to be a dink and didn't disclose that it was a theft recovery.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Not sure there's a big market for 21 year old automatic sports cars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

angryhampster posted:

The Cobra isn't really comparable to anything. It's like the Venom GT of the 60s.

For all of Carroll's faults, comparing him to Hennessey in any way is still a low blow.

edit: Also, the Mallett LS7-swapped Solstice will always be the modern Cobra of my heart.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Q_res posted:

For all of Carroll's faults, comparing him to Hennessey in any way is still a low blow.

edit: Also, the Mallett LS7-swapped Solstice will always be the modern Cobra of my heart.

Their engineering styles are similar, regardless of business practices.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Who was it who mentioned unmolested FD RX-7s? Because I just saw a loving unicorn.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Q_res posted:

I remember when Hot Rod built their LS7 Solstice. There was a few mentions of how it almost seemed like GM engineered the Solstice to fit an LSx...

So now I have another craigslist search...

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

RM Auctions are having a small sale in Monaco in May. Some of the cars going under the hammer:

:fap:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The EB110 has not aged well. The 959 however...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

The EB110 has not aged well. The 959 however...

I'm not saying I wouldn't drive the hell out of but the body panel fitment is suspect. Both the frunk and the rear spoiler are kinda.......not good.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying I wouldn't drive the hell out of but the body panel fitment is suspect. Both the frunk and the rear spoiler are kinda.......not good.
The 959 is listed as a "Prototype" on the RM Auctions page. According to Wikipedia (I'm not a huge Porsche buff) the 959's production run was from 1986-1989 so this likely is not one of the production cars. Good eye though.

And there is some serious poo poo crossing that auction block.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Linedance posted:

Who was it who mentioned unmolested FD RX-7s? Because I just saw a loving unicorn.

You can ship it to me please.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
FD with front-plate bumper is the worst non-supercar front-plate tragedy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

revmoo posted:

FD with front-plate bumper is the worst non-supercar front-plate tragedy.

Quoting for truth.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

JingleBells posted:

RM Auctions are having a small sale in Monaco in May. Some of the cars going under the hammer:

How did you not post the Hesketh?!

Also, that EB110 looks like :downs:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I've been driving past this glorious thing for a couple months now. It's parked in the lot of an old school neighborhood service station near the community center where I take my kids to play. Michigan antique plates, "Eleganza II" badging, and a kickin' mural that features the truck itself cruising along a mountain highway at sunset. It's just perfect, and I want it real bad.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'm disappointed that the mural does not contain itself. :(

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

It actually does on the other side :v:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I needed a truck for practical things.

Practical

Things.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man rampside pickups are the coolest. Do a thread, do a thread!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
poo poo like that (or at least being able to attempt it, I doubt I'll ever be that good) makes winter worth living through. Sure you can do it on pavement, too, but ask my tires how that turns out...

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the terrible car stuff thread. This car was on campus today as part of a publicity campaign for the movie Jinn which was shot in Detroit. It looked like it was put together pretty well and I think it looks much better than the Firebird conversions I've seen. This thing was called Firebreather.

The rear end does remind me of the original Eagle Talon.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I like it ... it's pretty tasteful, looks well done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Front end is great. Rear end looks like a craigslist Porsche 928.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The rear tail lights kinda remind me of the Porsche 968