Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Green Intern posted:

So that guy is supposed to be incredibly muscular, and not made of pillows? I'm having a hard time seeing anything else.

He's supposed to be a man with body image issues, a lot of money, and access to advanced medical technology. Everybody around him thinks he looks like a fluffy cloud, but who cares, he's HUGE.

I don't think anybody's actually reading this strip any more, they're just racing to be the first one to find a new thing in the art to complain about. Overly Excitable Comix.

Pooch Café

Poncho, you drew your paw on backwards. Who are you, Mike Lester?

Ballard Street

This happens to me all the time. Some thought crosses my mind and suddenly I'm going to build a new kind of cheap, stylish, quick-build housing that will solve all the world's problems and I tell everybody about it and then two days later I get disillusioned with it and quit. A year later I find the cross section drawings in a drawer and get mad at myself for wasting my time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

It's a go!

Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Molly And The Bear is...

gross.

Motley Classics, by Larry Wright.

"Motley Classics are from the mind of creator Larry Wright, also known for Kit ‘N’ Carlyle. Now retired, Wright served as editorial/op-ed page cartoonist at The Detroit News for 30 years, drawing three editorial cartoons a week. Wright is a past president of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists. He lives in Michigan with his wife, Naoko and cat, Domino."

And Mr. Gigi and the Squid is a two-person effort with the lengthiest summary so far.

"When a self-serving, completely inept street-hustling mutt crosses the Peaches, a deranged Daisy Scout, his only refuge is to submit to the disturbingly obsessive ownership of 10-year-old tornado, Candi Cankerson. In her hyper-active clutches he goes from rough ‘n’ rowdy to pink ‘n’ poofy in a heartbeat. The catch?... The newly crowned “Mr. Gigi” all- too-quickly becomes addicted to basic cable, generic cheese doodles and mildly stained sofa cushions. He can’t go back to the streets now, unless he scores big-time. Still a schemer, Mr. Gigi kidnaps Waldorf the Squid from Donny’s Disco-Quarium to supply the brawn his spectacularly lame plans will demand. What he hasn’t counted on is that this sheltered - but not completely clueless - gentle giant also provides the conscience Gigi’s worked his whole life to avoid."

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

This is basically the best comic I've ever read.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

HAmbONE posted:

Very nicely done.

edit: poo poo new page

Excellent Maus reference. I cant believe its been over 20 years since I read that.

For those of you who aren't old like me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Farside posted:

Excellent Maus reference. I cant believe its been over 20 years since I read that.

For those of you who aren't old like me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

For those that haven't read Maus, do so. It is 2 books and they run from $10-$20 each.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

I can sort of see a joke here, with it being alphabet soup and having lots of As and Bs and Cs and what not in it. Wonder what made him mess up the setup like that.

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

That is not a joke.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Except, she doesn't? All the letters are TV screens now. They light up and Vanna touches them, but it's somebody in the control room pressing a button to make the letter appear. I don't even have TV service and I know this.

Is Boyce literally living ten years in the past? That would explain some things.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He fell down a flight of stairs a few years ago and just hasn't been the same since.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

RandomFerret posted:

He's supposed to be a man with body image issues, a lot of money, and access to advanced medical technology. Everybody around him thinks he looks like a fluffy cloud, but who cares, he's HUGE.

I don't think anybody's actually reading this strip any more, they're just racing to be the first one to find a new thing in the art to complain about.

That's because there's practically nothing else going on in ZNJ - the entirely story line is just this gormless douche being shuffled around to different locations and meeting unlikeable characters because LOL SO RANDOM!!! SEE THESE ROBOTS THEY'RE FUNNY BECAUSE THEY CURSE A LOT ARE U LAUGHING YET?!?

The busy, overcrowded composition of the art is really just to distract the viewer from the lack of plot. It's a lot like Gil Thorpe in that way.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

Mandrake is totally checking himself out. "drat, I'm handsome."

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

I like how in a few short weeks this storyline has gone from grim murderfest to a slapstick comedy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Going Ughhhhhh over Nancy, also Moomin, I guess.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Borden posted:

Time for some low hanging fruit!

Say Nothing posted:

Hellstar Nancy!

Both of these own so much. :allears:

They don't look familiar though - is there Junji Ito I haven't read? Because if so, I need to remedy that immediately.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Code Jockey posted:

Both of these own so much. :allears:

They don't look familiar though - is there Junji Ito I haven't read? Because if so, I need to remedy that immediately.

Yeah, that's Junji Ito's Hellstar Remina. Which is really loving weird.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

I like how in a few short weeks this storyline has gone from grim murderfest to a slapstick comedy.

I like how the donkey is named Socrates.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Simian_Prime posted:

That's because there's practically nothing else going on in ZNJ - the entirely story line is just this gormless douche being shuffled around to different locations and meeting unlikeable characters because LOL SO RANDOM!!! SEE THESE ROBOTS THEY'RE FUNNY BECAUSE THEY CURSE A LOT ARE U LAUGHING YET?!?

The busy, overcrowded composition of the art is really just to distract the viewer from the lack of plot. It's a lot like Gil Thorpe in that way.

Gil Thorp may not have much in the way of plot, but what it has is quality. Where else would you find a multi-week story about a magical peacock that helps a high school basketball team win games?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

catlord posted:

Junji Ito made something that's really loving weird? You don't say!!!

(I hadn't read that one, thanks)

e: still not as great as his cat diaries though

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Simian_Prime posted:

Look at the eyelines in the first panel. Look at Staypuft Man there. He's talking to DeeDee and his sightline is over her shoulder and about a foot in front of her head. That's not even getting into the stroke victim in the last panel.

And yeah, the narrative has a lot of problems too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

At least this Nancy story is making for some easy edits.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

edit: ^ awesome, it just keeps delivering

Because if there's one thing teenagers who are nearly 18 are totally known for it's sticking absolutely to the letter of the law when it comes to 'adult activities' and I'm sure nobody here knows anyone who didn't wait till the very day so they could start sucking down grog and sneaking into nightclubs. We're all totally self aware at 17 and totally do NOT want to break any law to have fun whatsoever.

Overwrought sarcasm aside - even I was sneaking into pubs at 16 and I really was a boring wallflower goody two shoes, sheesh.

And anyone who says "oh the writer is just old" dood kids've been doing that poo poo since my NAN was a kid, let alone today's kids.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tambaloneus posted:

And anyone who says "oh the writer is just old" dood kids've been doing that poo poo since my NAN was a kid, let alone today's kids.

More like the readership is old and it's easier to make Luann and her pals unrealistically good and pure than to put up with the flood of angry letters about what kind of example Greg/Greg's Daughter is setting for :qq: OUR CHILDREN. :qq:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Why does Delta have a gradient it's distracting.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Nah, just a Lovecraftian world devouring horror. Pretty standard for Ito.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I don't know, arent Bernice and Delta supposed to be super studious academically-oriented girls? I could believe that they're not the drinking and partying type.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

O'Mara you SOB. :ohdear:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shugojin posted:

Junji Ito made something that's really loving weird? You don't say!!!

(I hadn't read that one, thanks)

e: still not as great as his cat diaries though

Well, I mean it starts Ito weird and then it gets absurd. And yes, Cat Diaries is hilarious.

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

O'Mara you SOB. :ohdear:

Holy poo poo I'm so glad I started reading this comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Gonna steal tiistai's thunder, cause drat I love this.

Fingerpori

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Borden posted:

At least this Nancy story is making for some easy edits.

The gift that keeps on giving.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cosima posted:

Why does Delta have a gradient it's distracting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RandomFerret posted:

I don't think anybody's actually reading this strip any more, they're just racing to be the first one to find a new thing in the art to complain about.
I'm still reading it because, to paraphrase Churchill, it has already been determined what it is, we're now establishing how much.

Kennel posted:

That is not a joke.
To be fair, that makes it source-accurate :v:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

I'm laughing my rear end off, and I should be sorry, I think because "racisim". But, no, I'm not. Brilliant!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tambaloneus posted:

edit: ^ awesome, it just keeps delivering
Poor choice of words for that particular edit.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In case anyone is wondering, the thing on Oona's head is from the manga Parasyte by Hitoshi Iwaaki.
Also a good read.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Well, that's a switch. Bill usually whips out his third leg in public.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Dames. :rolleyes:

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

This is kind of like Arabian Nights: start a story, wait until the next night to finish, immediately start another, repeat until the bad guy lets you go.

• Locked thread