Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

Manziel to the Vikings just feels right

That's my feeling as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I figure Gus Bradley wants the next Russell Wilson.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

swickles posted:

Hahaha, Lana is awesome.

I thought people were talking about the black woman from the 80s who is bedazzled to all hell. To me, she wins it all. The other girl is just white and blonde.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I like JFF and I like Zimmer so I approve.

e:
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 14m
Manziel will have dinner w/ #Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, OC Norv Turner and GM Rick Spielman tonight, meetings Friday a.m.

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 27, 2014

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I could totally live with that, though I admittedly don't know anything about evaluating talent. I'd think it would be nice if they sat the arrogant little twit for a season or two to develop, rather than throwing him to the wolves right away.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
http://www.bigblueview.com/2014-nfl...as-am-nfl-draft

Looks like Mike Evans killed it; he's probably going a couple picks before the Giants now.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

I figure Gus Bradley wants the next Russell Wilson.

Leaving the QB comparison aside, Bradley has definitely followed the Seattle blueprint on defense. Offense not as much. The Quarterback situation is still a very big question mark. At some recent forums for season ticket holders, Dave Caldwell has been asked directly about Manziel more than once. The common theme is that they "like him" with the clause that during the last two minutes of a game, down by a touchdown, you want a QB that can win with his arm. To me this implies they aren't so sure about his ability to drive down the field without breaking out of the pocket. When asked about Bridgewater, Caldwell gave him praise saying that Bridgewater has all the traits that they look for in a QB but brought up the questions about his frame and durability.

At the owners meeting, Caldwell was asked about this drafts QBs ability to come in and start day one. He seemed skeptical and noted that the trend with QBs starting right away and having success has some correlation with them being Seniors and coming from a pro-style system and that none of the top QBs in this draft are seniors and whether or not they come from a pro-style system is debatable. The more time passes and the more I read I'm getting the impression that the Jags are going QB in Round 2 or later rather than reach at three overall if they guy they want (if there is one) isn't there.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 27, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Atticus Finch posted:

e:
Manziel will have dinner w/ #Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, OC Norv Turner and GM Rick Spielman tonight, meetings Friday a.m.

Manziel taking seven step drops in Norv's system would well worth the price of admission.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Atticus Finch posted:

e:

The Vikings have done that with a few other QB prospects, so that doesn't indicate much. I'm still not sure what to think of Manziel at this point. He was obviously an electrifying player in college, but I'm not sure how sustainable his playing style will be at the next level. If he keeps it up, he'll expose himself to a lot of unnecessary big hits and I'm not sure how well the ad libbing will work when he's dealing with a smaller margin for error.

For people more familiar with Norv Turner than I am, how would Manziel fit in his offense? He seems to have the arm strength to make the throws, but from what I've read, Turner tends to prefer pocket passers and Manziel is the antithesis of that. I'm sure he can adapt his scheme if it came to it, but QBs like Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Garoppolo all seem like they would be better fits.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Rasczak posted:

That would never happen

Johnny single-handedly taking down a domestic terrorist cell while barefoot and armed only with a football and off-the-charts swagger, that's more plausible

A sniper will be about to take his shot at Bush, only for JFF to throw a football, hitting him in the face and breaking his nose but saving him from a bullet :toot:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

A sniper will be about to take his shot at Bush, only for JFF to throw a football, hitting him in the face and breaking his nose but saving him from a bullet :toot:

But then he would put that bullet in George because he has character issue red flags

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

DupaDupa posted:

Why is a former President at a pro day :psyduck:

http://bush.tamu.edu

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just saw Johnny Manziel's interview with ESPN following his pro day. I don't know how much PR coaching he's gotten, but he sounds like a guy I would draft #1.

You don't get it. People who are famous for one thing are only able to be that one thing, even long after they've finished with that thing. And people on the internet are the final arbiters of that thingness.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Aniki posted:

The Vikings have done that with a few other QB prospects, so that doesn't indicate much.
It is interesting, though, that Manziel chose to dine with the Vikings staff when (and correct me if I'm wrong) he probably had a lot of other options for private dinners, although I'm probably grasping at nothing here. If it does actually indicate something, it might be that Manziel is interested in the Vikings, too.

quote:

I'm still not sure what to think of Manziel at this point. He was obviously an electrifying player in college, but I'm not sure how sustainable his playing style will be at the next level. If he keeps it up, he'll expose himself to a lot of unnecessary big hits and I'm not sure how well the ad libbing will work when he's dealing with a smaller margin for error.
Your points are definitely valid but are brought up a lot. It seems like goons tend to fall along a continuum of "Yeah, he'll be killed day 1" to "He'll be just fine; Russell Wilson and others with similar playing styles have been fine." I tend to side with the latter, since Wilson is smaller than Manziel (although Wilson's proven himself to be smarter and less of a scrambler). At this point, Manziel is a skinnier Brees and overall-smaller Bridgewater in terms of instincts and passing ability, if Brees and Bridgewater ran a lot more.

Honestly, I'd be excited to have him as a Viking and not just because he's Tarkenton 2.0, but because (in the tape I've seen, so I could be wrong) he, like Brees, is able to put the ball exactly where it needs to be, and his occasionally objectively bad decisions to run are usually bailed out by the fact that he's really agile and can fake defenders pretty well. Plus, his supposed trademark of heaving the ball downfield for his bigger receiver to manage to come away with it would actually work given that the Vikings have two 6'2"+ wideouts in Patterson and Simpson who can jump quite well, and giant Kyle Rudolph should the need arise. I do question his ability/willingness to see the entire field, though, which he hasn't demonstrated to be that strong -- although that seems like something you could teach.

quote:

For people more familiar with Norv Turner than I am, how would Manziel fit in his offense? He seems to have the arm strength to make the throws, but from what I've read, Turner tends to prefer pocket passers and Manziel is the antithesis of that. I'm sure he can adapt his scheme if it came to it, but QBs like Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Garoppolo all seem like they would be better fits.
I'm not sure what we can make of Turner's schemes, since he's probably a smart enough play-designer that he can make do with what's available to him. Turning Manziel into more of a pocket passer is probably a priority for whatever team drafts him, though, since he seems like he runs as often as Vick does, and that will cause injuries regardless of how agile he is.

All in all, it's obviously nutty to try to predict what's going to happen when the draft rolls around, since there'll probably be a ton of trades. However, I do expect the Vikings to come away with one of the top three quarterbacks, either by trading up or seeing if one drops to them -- I think they would've done a lot more work and been much quicker to re-sign Cassel if they were sure they wanted him as their starter game 1.

Or just make Patterson the starting quarterback because that would be really fun.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: eh not going to start poo poo over this

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 27, 2014

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Candiru posted:

It is interesting, though, that Manziel chose to dine with the Vikings staff when (and correct me if I'm wrong) he probably had a lot of other options for private dinners, although I'm probably grasping at nothing here. If it does actually indicate something, it might be that Manziel is interested in the Vikings, too.

There is some significance in meeting with a player after their Pro Day rather than before, but I still wouldn't put too much stock in it, since the Browns weren't at his Pro Day and the Texans will have easy access to him, so all it really indicates is that his camp may the Vikings as a more desirable option than the Raiders or Jaguars. Or it could just be how scheduling worked out.

quote:

Your points are definitely valid but are brought up a lot. It seems like goons tend to fall along a continuum of "Yeah, he'll be killed day 1" to "He'll be just fine; Russell Wilson and others with similar playing styles have been fine." I tend to side with the latter, since Wilson is smaller than Manziel (although Wilson's proven himself to be smarter and less of a scrambler). At this point, Manziel is a skinnier Brees and overall-smaller Bridgewater in terms of instincts and passing ability, if Brees and Bridgewater ran a lot more.

I'm actually more in the camp that his playing style will catch up to him in a couple seasons. I can deal with him taking risks on his rookie contract, when not too much money is invested in him, but I would worry about the risks he takes early in his career catching up to him in his second contract, when there are much more dire cap implications if he gets hurt. I just feel that in order for him to have a long career, he'll need to reign things in, become more of a pocket passer and get better at avoiding unnecessary hits, and learn when to take risks, so that he can stay healthy and limit turnovers.

quote:

Honestly, I'd be excited to have him as a Viking and not just because he's Tarkenton 2.0, but because (in the tape I've seen, so I could be wrong) he, like Brees, is able to put the ball exactly where it needs to be, and his occasionally objectively bad decisions to run are usually bailed out by the fact that he's really agile and can fake defenders pretty well. Plus, his supposed trademark of heaving the ball downfield for his bigger receiver to manage to come away with it would actually work given that the Vikings have two 6'2"+ wideouts in Patterson and Simpson who can jump quite well, and giant Kyle Rudolph should the need arise. I do question his ability/willingness to see the entire field, though, which he hasn't demonstrated to be that strong -- although that seems like something you could teach.

I'm not sure what we can make of Turner's schemes, since he's probably a smart enough play-designer that he can make do with what's available to him. Turning Manziel into more of a pocket passer is probably a priority for whatever team drafts him, though, since he seems like he runs as often as Vick does, and that will cause injuries regardless of how agile he is.

All in all, it's obviously nutty to try to predict what's going to happen when the draft rolls around, since there'll probably be a ton of trades. However, I do expect the Vikings to come away with one of the top three quarterbacks, either by trading up or seeing if one drops to them -- I think they would've done a lot more work and been much quicker to re-sign Cassel if they were sure they wanted him as their starter game 1.

Or just make Patterson the starting quarterback because that would be really fun.

The similarities to Tarkenton don't matter very much to me. I'm sure Turner has a plan on how to develop Manziel and utilize his strengths. If he becomes a Viking, then it will be interesting to see how he utilizes him, but we're still 5 weeks out from the draft, so a lot can change between now and then. The hard part is that at 8, the Vikings are at mercy of the teams picking ahead of them, which could be good or bad, but it makes it difficult to target specific players at this point. My idea 1st round pick would be Bridgewater or Mack, but I'm more expecting the Vikings to trade down or do something unexpected and draft a receiver like Watkins or Evans.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Atticus Finch posted:

Chase Goodbread ‏@ChaseGoodbread 49m
#Vkings coach Mike Zimmer spent a lot of time talking to Kevin Sumlin while Manziel threw.

The WR.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Looking back, was Ted Ginn a better draft pick than Brady Quinn?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He won more games by himself that's for drat sure

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

Looking back, was Ted Ginn a better draft pick than Brady Quinn?

Ted Ginn should have been a good WR taken in the late first. The only thing bad about his pick was where he was taken. Stupid teams do stupid things that put unrealistic expectations on the receivers, IE Tavon Austin, DHB, Ginn, etc.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So I don't actually follow college football too much so I am curious what you think the Pats should be addressing in the draft. And who they could realistically grab where they are. I think I've read that they should be looking at DE. Would Kony Ealy be a good pickup where they are selecting?

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Boosh! posted:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014-nfl...as-am-nfl-draft

Looks like Mike Evans killed it; he's probably going a couple picks before the Giants now.

Going to the Lions at 10.

Megatron, Tate and Evans. If Bush gets injured maybe we can have three 1k receivers.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

darkforce898 posted:

Going to the Lions at 10.

Megatron, Tate and Evans. If Bush gets injured maybe we can have three 1k receivers.

If the Lions do take a WR, they'd be better off with Watkins. He's a whole different animal compared to Megatron and Tate and would compliment that offense nicely. Evans, while not Megatron (but who is?), has a very similar playing style to him.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Well duh but Watkins will be gone already.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What are the niners aiming for in the draft? Secondary?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I think the Lions would take Watkins over Evans for sure, but since he won't be there Evans will be an awesome fit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Norv Turner continued to put Philip Rivers, a good quarterback, in seven step drops with a lovely offensive line and no deep threats so maybe he's actually a stubborn old man who wants to do things his way and if the Vikings draft Manziel with Norv at the head of the offense it's going to be loving hilarious

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7w-xKwcd94

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ohhh poo poo

Rotoworld posted:

Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei reports the Texans are "trying hard" to trade the No. 1 overall pick in May's draft and "might have a trade partner" in the Bills.

The Bills are said to be eyeing a move up, possibly for a quarterback. It'd be quite the statement if Buffalo was to give up on E.J. Manuel just one year after making him the 16th overall pick. Targeting a pass rusher like Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack might make more sense.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

When is the last time the #1 pick was actually traded?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Psmith posted:

So I don't actually follow college football too much so I am curious what you think the Pats should be addressing in the draft. And who they could realistically grab where they are. I think I've read that they should be looking at DE. Would Kony Ealy be a good pickup where they are selecting?

In my opinion, the most pressing needs are the interior line on both sides of the ball. Our DTs are Wilfork and Tommy Kelly who are both old and worn out and unlikely to return after this year, and a bunch of practice squad fodder that got promoted due to injury. They need to address that either this year or next, depending on who's available to them, and who they like. Our C is in a bad way, and G depth would be nice. After that, SS is also necessary for the same reasons that we need DTs. DE is pretty low in our priorities, Jones/Nink is a fine combo.
Unfortunately, like most Pats fans, I also do not follow college ball, so I can't give you any players to look for, but I would expect a DT and a G/C in rounds 1 and 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most drafts are so top-heavy that it's impossible to trade up to #1 because of the value of that pick, but this year is stacked enough that it's possible.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

When is the last time the #1 pick was actually traded?

Before or after the pick? '04 due to Eli?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eli Manning I guess. It was pretty much impossible to trade for years because of how massive the contracts were getting, and the first draft after the new CBA was Luck so yeah that wasn't getting traded. KC was the first real candidate in years for it to happen with

I don't know how I'd feel about moving down to 9. It would have to be a pretty massive haul to make up for missing out on all of Clowney, Bridgewater, Mack, Watkins and Manziel

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Before or after the pick? '04 due to Eli?

Before the pick I guess, since the Giants and Chargers just traded the rights to the players after they were selected

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Ralph Wilson amended his last will and testament to gently caress the franchise one last time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Before the pick I guess, since the Giants and Chargers just traded the rights to the players after they were selected

The Vick draft then

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Norv Turner continued to put Philip Rivers, a good quarterback, in seven step drops with a lovely offensive line and no deep threats so maybe he's actually a stubborn old man who wants to do things his way and if the Vikings draft Manziel with Norv at the head of the offense it's going to be loving hilarious
In that scenario, Manziel would probably bail out those stubborn formations by ad-libbing and running around a lot after everything falls apart. Rivers was too slow, massive, and submissive to be willing to do that.

The Vikings o-line isn't that bad, though, either way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Come on Matt. Look at the loving source. It's a bleacher report article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Nothing to see here just me being dumb

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 28, 2014

• Locked thread