Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I still haven't been able to beat my 360-controller/stability-controlled DTM/Silverstone-int record (1:11.891) with my DFGT/no-aids, in fact I never did better than 1:13.8 with the wheel before deciding I would just never drive that combo again.

The difference there appears to be the aids. Try them with equal settings and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Drunk Badger posted:

The difference there appears to be the aids. Try them with equal settings and see what happens.

After spending the time to get comfortable without it when I switched to the wheel, when I turn it on again I do even worse. The difference is mostly mindset, I'm more careful now, whereas before I was going 10/10 every lap and mashing lock to lock with the stability control. I could probably get faster times if I turned a few aids on and practiced with them, but it'd feel like cheating.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Mouse drivers in LFS can go really fast partially because they can so quickly snap to opposite lock and back. I'd imagine it's similar with a controller plus stability control in AC.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I used to use an oversized joystick for sim racing and it honestly felt like cheating sometimes.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I bought that Assetto Corsa game and just had the idea to dig up this old PS2 Logitech Driving Force Pro that I haven't touched in years. All I had to do was install the drivers and it worked perfectly out of the proverbial box. Played like a minute of the Lotus 49 just to see what it was like and it felt so nice. :psyduck: I bought this wheel for GT4 and that was like 8 years ago and aside from being really noisy and having weird paddle and stick shift controls it works so well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
To follow up Audi/VAG in PCARS as mentioned earlier... SMS announced their Bentley license. Guess who owns Bentley.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Combat Pretzel posted:

To follow up Audi/VAG in PCARS as mentioned earlier... SMS announced their Bentley license. Guess who owns Bentley.
Spyker?? :v:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

:siren: The Logitech G27 is $199 on Amazon (gold box deal) today. Treat yourself.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

piratepilates posted:

I bought that Assetto Corsa game and just had the idea to dig up this old PS2 Logitech Driving Force Pro that I haven't touched in years. All I had to do was install the drivers and it worked perfectly out of the proverbial box. Played like a minute of the Lotus 49 just to see what it was like and it felt so nice. :psyduck: I bought this wheel for GT4 and that was like 8 years ago and aside from being really noisy and having weird paddle and stick shift controls it works so well.

I did the exact same thing - I was even able to mod the brake pedal with a little foam block from my toddler's toybox (I posted a pic a few pages back). It works perfectly.

I've since bought a Fanatec CSR and I found out the hard way that the cable coming from the DFP pedals isn't the same as the G25/G27, and I have to get yet another adapter for like $30. Meanwhile I'm using my Xbox Wheel pedals and the foam trick doesn't work.

speedtek fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Nerdrock posted:

:siren: The Logitech G27 is $199 on Amazon (gold box deal) today. Treat yourself.

gently caress I missed it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

speedtek posted:

I did the exact same thing - I was even able to mod the brake pedal with a little foam block from my toddler's toybox (I posted a pic a few pages back). It works perfectly.

I've since bought a Fanatec CSR and I found out the hard way that the cable coming from the DFP pedals isn't the same as the G25/G27, and I have to get yet another adapter for like $30. Meanwhile I'm using my Xbox Wheel pedals and the foam trick doesn't work.

The logitech pedal adapter for for fanatec is fine on the PC but if you do anything with an xbox it's really buggy (if you're talking about the basherboards one). Just so you know.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
For those of you who hadn't bought it yet, like me, F1 2013 is 75% off through the weekend. You can also play it for free through the weekend if you want to try it out.

I hopped in, got the game and all the DLC for 16 bucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I tried it out, not that great. The interface is annoying as poo poo. I had to wait several minutes and quit out of the testing to get to a menu where I could change settings and it refuses to become full screen. The driving simulation isn't that great either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sorry but the Codemaster F1 series is garbage. :/

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

After playing it a bit, yeah it's not great, but it's worth the few bucks so I can play online with friends who can't handle a proper sim.

The force feedback is pretty crap...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Update 0.7.5 came out for Assetto Corsa today with the Pagani Huayra. It's pretty insane, my G27 cannot come soon enough.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

For those of you who hadn't bought it yet, like me, F1 2013 is 75% off through the weekend. You can also play it for free through the weekend if you want to try it out.

I hopped in, got the game and all the DLC for 16 bucks.

I tried it and I also tried F1 2011 (or maybe 2012) at one point but I couldn't really get into it. It sounds like the career mode is probably cool, but they don't ever really explain how or when you can use the DRS or KERS thingy and there doesn't seem to be a difficulty level for people who are terrible at driving a F1 car but don't want to turn on the racing line and assists. Also, something about the layout of modern F1 circuits and the driving physics in these games makes me feel like I'm driving a bus trying to get through all the hairpins and chicanes.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fayez Butts posted:

Update 0.7.5 came out for Assetto Corsa today with the Pagani Huayra. It's pretty insane, my G27 cannot come soon enough.

Hah, it was easily the most disappointing update yet for me. I don't care about supercars...

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Sorry but the Codemaster F1 series is garbage. :/

Sorry for what? It is garbage. It doesn't belong in a simulation thread.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I tried it and I also tried F1 2011 (or maybe 2012) at one point but I couldn't really get into it. It sounds like the career mode is probably cool, but they don't ever really explain how or when you can use the DRS or KERS thingy and there doesn't seem to be a difficulty level for people who are terrible at driving a F1 car but don't want to turn on the racing line and assists. Also, something about the layout of modern F1 circuits and the driving physics in these games makes me feel like I'm driving a bus trying to get through all the hairpins and chicanes.

Use KERS whenever you want, your KERS capacity is represented by a little battery icon that depletes. DRS is used in the approved zone on the track, the DRS indicator turns green when you are in the DRS zone within 1 second of the guy in front of you. There is an AI difficulty setting that does not affect the driving characteristics.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Sorry for what? It is garbage. It doesn't belong in a simulation thread.

Unfortunately there isn't a generic PC driving games thread and I figure the regular elitism of the sim racing crowd hasn't permeated the gates of SA so severely yet.

It's really not as bad as its been stated here. It's a fun distraction.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
For a thread that loves pCARS, making GBS threads on an F1 arcade game is a little hypocritical.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CactusWeasle posted:

For a thread that loves pCARS, making GBS threads on an F1 arcade game is a little hypocritical.

pCARS didn't require me to do a bunch of hacky poo poo to get the game to run full screen like 2012 did and I'm guessing 2013 would. I didn't feel like messing with it, so I played the entire time in windowed mode. I haven't played pCARS in a while and they haven't updated their game to work properly with fanatec firmware that changed the buttons around on the CSR. They said they would fix it eventually before the game came out. F1 2013 is a finished game that didn't get a single control setting correct despite it knowing what wheel I have. Though, I'm glad it works at all because it required a bunch of settings poo poo to get it to function in 2010 (No FF) and 2012 was also annoying to get to work.

pCARS will change your steering lock in software to whatever the car you're driving has. I just set my wheel to 900 degrees and then pCars will use force feedback to tell me where the lock is in the car. F12013 doesn't do this, nor does it even tell me what I should set the lock to myself. I set it to 270 because that's what really cheap wheels do and I'm guessing they designed it to work with those. F12013 forces you to learn how to drive the car on Abby Dabby of all tracks.

pCARS is a game that's trying to be a sim but is still arcadey in a few places. F12013 is a crappy arcade game that wants arcade racers to think it's a sim.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Press alt and enter to go full screen mode, works for me :)
The F1 game (2013) can be fun to me in the same way Outrun is, or Ridge Racer. It's no sim but is fun enough. The classic F1 cars are nice.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Why would anyone want to have fun? There's endless stupid loving arguments to have about what constitutes a "sim" or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Press alt and enter to go full screen mode, works for me :)
The F1 game (2013) can be fun to me in the same way Outrun is, or Ridge Racer. It's no sim but is fun enough. The classic F1 cars are nice.

That's what I did in 2012. It always went back to windowed immediately. I ended up having to find some config file and force full screen on. After a few alt-enters in 2013, I didn't bother because I knew I wouldn't be playing long enough to care anyway. I remember it having something to do with having multiple monitors. That's entirely stupid because even though I have multiple monitors, they are cloned. I run an HDMI to my TV and have my wheel set up over there for iRacing. A cloned display shouldn't affect how F12013 works at all.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 15, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I did in 2012. It always went back to windowed immediately. I ended up having to find some config file and force full screen on. After a few alt-enters in 2013, I didn't bother because I knew I wouldn't be playing long enough to care anyway.

I extensively played 2012 and 2013 and haven't encountered a problem ever getting it in full screen mode,in fact is always been in full screen mode. It's not a widespread issue with the game series, seems pretty isolated to your computer. With a fanatec wheel the button mapping is all messed up but it didn't used to be. I think it got messed up with a fanatec driver or firmware update. But as buttons can be remapped it's not a big deal. Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels worked fine out of the box.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 15, 2014

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Not EXACTLY a race Sim, but here is a race going live in abot 5 to 10 minutes:

RACE WILL BE STARTING IN ABOUT 10 MINUTES.

Here's the multi-twitch, enjoy the race:
http://multitwitch.tv/ahoyzissou/ahoyworld/cikibabaa/tehgunzofglory

Edit: Race complete!

Here is a good stream of the event, just skip to 58:30

http://www.twitch.tv/cikibabaa/b/511318491

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not isolated to my computer. You can find threads all over the internet for F1 2011 through 2013 of people asking how to make the game start full screen. It's been a problem in the game for several years now and they never fixed it. Fanatec updated the firmware somewhere in 2012 that changed all the button numbers around. At some point, codemasters could have bothered to make sure buttons on wheels did what they wanted them to. I expect to go into a sim and change the buttons around. Luckily they go right to a menu where I can easily get to the controls menu and change things around. In an arcade game like F1 2013, I shouldn't be expected to have to change all the controls. Even worse, I shouldn't be expected to drive a car as soon as I start the game. After sitting through an annoying video that couldn't be skipped, I ended up sitting on the track in Abby Dabby with the rev limiter pegged wondering why the car wasn't doing anything.

Edit: Actually, the game didn't even bother trying to use my wheel. It defaulted to keyboard driving for some reason. Game of the year.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Great, thanks Assetto Corsa! Look what you've done to me!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I have the retro expansion, might need to look into that.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
F1 2013 felt pretty crap until I found out you have to change some setting so that it treats the steering inputs your wheel like an actual wheel, instead of like a controller. Then it wasn't too bad. I feel like that could account for some of the complaints I've seen with it (certainly not all.)

Grid 2 though. Now there's a lovely game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Playing some of that F1 2013 and then going to Assetto Corsa it's crazy how much more feeling you get from the car in AC. Did Nurburgring with the Lotus Exos and it's just so much more intense trying to wrangle that car. Doesn't help that F1 2013 seems to have a preset for my Driving Force Pro but maps the 900 degrees on to the F1 wheel in a way that I would have to turn my wheel way more than the ingame wheel to actually steer.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

https://www.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa?hc_location=timeline

Well it's not really a big surprise to anyone but still nice to see RUF is official, Can't wait to drive (crash) the Yellowbird on the Nordschleife

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

aaaaand they finally confirmed it.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/234630/announcements/detail/1641866696049494214

2012 Audi A1 quattro
2013 Audi R8 V10 Plus
2002 Audi R8 LMP900
2011 Audi R18 TDI LMP1
2013 Audi R8 LMS Ultra GT3
1989 Audi 90 IMSA GTO
2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro

Looking forward to the R8.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If you haven't downloaded the new Panoz roadster for rF2, do it. This thing is a lot of tail-happy fun.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The IMSA GTO Should be nice.

Not touched this in at least a couple months. How is the handling holding up?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CaseFace McGee posted:

If you haven't downloaded the new Panoz roadster for rF2, do it. This thing is a lot of tail-happy fun.

So these might be fun also: http://rfactor.net/web/2014/03/27/kart-preview/

DW12 and Indy are due out before the 500, going to be a great few months for RF2.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

So these might be fun also: http://rfactor.net/web/2014/03/27/kart-preview/

DW12 and Indy are due out before the 500, going to be a great few months for RF2.

Yesssss

I don't want to have to wait until November for Project:Cars, but rF2 and Assetto Corsa will help me through.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
AC Update 0.8 came out today:
pre:
- Lotus Exige 240
 - Ferrari 312T F1
 - Revised AI behavior
 - Collisions performance improvements
 - New sky box with clouds
 - Fixed gui issue with spinner
 - Improved x360 controller support at low speed
 - Fixed gearshift sound on BMW M3 e92 Drift
 - Improved rearview mirrors & added more rendering options in the launcher
 - Default launcher theme: opponent skins are randomized from all available skins
 - Default launcher theme: opponent setups are now set on a per-track basis
 - Launcher: control configuration’s Xbox360 section revised
 - Fixed end race chart display bug
Very happy with it, the 312t is amazing, the new clouds really make things look better, and the AI is better if not perfect (they are a little more respectful, but I still got pushed a fair few times).

This car, you guys, it's a powerslide machine.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does AC have multiplayer yet? And is it super sim or can you play it like LFS/forza/GT?

• Locked thread