Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Thanks, so crown law is not related to lower crown authority or whatever?

There are basically two classes of town laws, the boring tax and troop laws that get you a bigger/smaller share of your vassals taxes/levies, and the important crown laws of crown authority and (if Catholic) free/papal investiture.

You can only join factions to lower crown authority, and medium crown authority prevents vassals from fighting each other (in most cases at least). East Francia must have a crown authority of low or minimal for you to be able to attack your neighboring duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I jinxed it and his wife just died, I found him a new 17 year old genius pecheneg woman (who is Cathar thanks to my aggressive proselytizing) to marry. Currently under ultimogeniture and that boy is hers.

Changed the crest and family name for maximum :regd08:

Obviously I need to get Absolute-Cognatic ASAP and put a girl on the throne, but you can only change succession laws ONCE. Next time...

Sorry about the theological derail, but LOOK AT THOSE STATS.

Girl Power, am I right?

Bolian Blues posted:

The problem with that is that even if we accept that Catharism was really as depicted in CK2, in the alternate scenario where Catharism survived as a mainstream religion to the present day the likelihood is that its doctrines would have found themselves re-aligned with the existing norms of European society one way or another. The relative lack of structure and ritual would gradually be replaced with stricter hierarchies and power concentrated in the hands of the priesthood. The proto-feminist views and women's roles in the church would be increasingly marginalized or eliminated completely, similar to what happened to the Bhikkuni traditions in Theravada Buddhism. Then hundreds of years later there might be a few fringe Cathar reformists saying "Historical documents suggest we used to believe in X and Y progressive ideas" but the mainstream would dismiss that as willful misreading.

That's what I think would have happened, anyway. Maybe I'm too cynical.

:arghfist::sigh:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm in east francia. I've got all of bavaria under me and can kick the poo poo out of the king with just one other duchy joining me. I had gotten big and fat under east francia so I'm not sure how this could have happened, I'm pretty sure crown law is at "limited crown authority" or whatever. I assume that's the lowest.

You likely aren't under East Francia de jure, check the crown law of the kingdom you're properly under (I believe the German empire?) Each empire has it's own laws, which ends up being hilariously confusing when a single holder has three empires.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm in east francia. I've got all of bavaria under me and can kick the poo poo out of the king with just one other duchy joining me. I had gotten big and fat under east francia so I'm not sure how this could have happened, I'm pretty sure crown law is at "limited crown authority" or whatever. I assume that's the lowest.

Are you under an empire or something? If the crown authority is limited, you should be able to push in other vassal's poo poo just fine.

Also, Bavaria is under its own kingdom of Bavaria, not East Francia, and is subject to those crown laws. Although I don't know how the "no warring vassals" things works if you're not a vassal of the Kingdom of Bavaria. Unless your liege also has that title.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jenner posted:

I jinxed it and his wife just died, I found him a new 17 year old genius pecheneg woman (who is Cathar thanks to my aggressive proselytizing) to marry. Currently under ultimogeniture and that boy is hers.

Obviously I need to get Absolute-Cognatic ASAP and put a girl on the throne, but you can only change succession laws ONCE. Next time...

Girl Power, am I right?

Now use the mod that allows enatic succession!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Jenner posted:

Girl Power, am I right?

Do you control multiple kingdoms? Do they still have it where you can change crown laws multiple times if you shift your primary title?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TaurusTorus posted:

Do you control multiple kingdoms? Do they still have it where you can change crown laws multiple times if you shift your primary title?

Judging by his picture, he only has one kingdom but own everything in it.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I wish Ruler designer characters didn't nix cheevos, or that converting to Catharism was somehow more likely in-game because a Cathar dynasty seems like the easiest way to get the Empressive achivement.

I really thought I had a chance during my previous Albion run. I was playing as this awesome Empress (who had inherited after her kid brother got very unlucky with his regent) who had two daughters, the older one being far superior stat-wise. But then my mediocre daughter had to have a son, putting her in line of the throne before her sister, meaning I would have to dispose of him eventually if I wanted to get the achivement. The whole thing turned out to be moot, since I ended up outliving both my daughters anyway.

EDIT:

Bolian Blues posted:

The problem with that is that even if we accept that Catharism was really as depicted in CK2, in the alternate scenario where Catharism survived as a mainstream religion to the present day the likelihood is that its doctrines would have found themselves re-aligned with the existing norms of European society one way or another. The relative lack of structure and ritual would gradually be replaced with stricter hierarchies and power concentrated in the hands of the priesthood. The proto-feminist views and women's roles in the church would be increasingly marginalized or eliminated completely, similar to what happened to the Bhikkuni traditions in Theravada Buddhism. Then hundreds of years later there might be a few fringe Cathar reformists saying "Historical documents suggest we used to believe in X and Y progressive ideas" but the mainstream would dismiss that as willful misreading.

That's what I think would have happened, anyway. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Nope, that's pretty much what ended up happening anyway near the end.

Wikipedia posted:

Despite women having an instrumental role in the growing of the faith, misogyny was not completely absent from the Cathar movement. Some seemingly misogynistic Cathar beliefs include that one's last incarnation had to be experienced as a man to break the cycle.[19] This belief was inspired by later French Cathars, which taught that women must be reborn as men in order to achieve salvation.[6] Another one is that the sexual allure of women impedes man's ability to reject the material world.[19] Toward the end of the Cathar movement, French Catharism became more misogynistic and started the practice of excluding women Perfects.[6] However, the influence of these type of misogynistic beliefs and practices remained rather limited on the whole of Catharism as later Italian Perfects still included women.[6]

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 28, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Did they fix the various AI problems/bugs with Enatic?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

If you can't declare war within your de jure kingdom, crown authority is probably medium. Lower it! No gods no masters.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Delete \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\gfx\flags itll rebuild itself next time you start the game up. Sometimes that folder gets weird and it does hokey stuff.

I tried this twice for good measure and the muslim shields are still inverted. I think the issue is in another folder or even inside the actual game files. I'll check around inside the steam files again.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Dibujante posted:

If you can't declare war within your de jure kingdom, crown authority is probably medium. Lower it! No gods no masters.

Yea it turns out the king of east francia wasn't the the king of bavaria because the king of frisa was... really convoluted poo poo. I declared independence and kicked his rear end. Then swore fealty to frisa who is huge. I cant just boss this bastard around. ( he's not really a bastard) New problem though. For the past like 100 years I've had elective as my inheritance laws. That poo poo wont fly in Frisa though. there are 2 dukes who I can't kill threatening to gently caress everything up. What is the best inheritance law for me to switch to. Oldest male is what I want but that requires crown law to be higher, and for obvious reasons that doesn't fit into my plans.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So. Is the new expansion buggy and I should wait for a patch or 2, or, dive in?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Diogines posted:

So. Is the new expansion buggy and I should wait for a patch or 2, or, dive in?

Wait for a hotfix.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Thanks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Isn't it more accurately "wait for a hotfix to play buddhism/jainism because that's where the problems are" or are there other bugs as well?

I was thinking of doing a House of Cards run; start as a count or duke in one of the big empires and try to work my way to Emperor without directly warring with my liege. I guess for that I'd basically have to be one of the Byzantine dudes right?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pierson posted:

Isn't it more accurately "wait for a hotfix to play buddhism/jainism because that's where the problems are" or are there other bugs as well?

I was thinking of doing a House of Cards run; start as a count or duke in one of the big empires and try to work my way to Emperor without directly warring with my liege. I guess for that I'd basically have to be one of the Byzantine dudes right?

There's been some other bugs, such as merchant republics being able to place trade posts anywhere on the map. Anyway, if you're doing the Old Gods start your only options would be the Byzantines or the Abbasids (Arabian empire). 1066 would have the Holy Roman Empire.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Farecoal posted:

There's been some other bugs, such as merchant republics being able to place trade posts anywhere on the map. Anyway, if you're doing the Old Gods start your only options would be the Byzantines or the Abbasids (Arabian empire). 1066 would have the Holy Roman Empire.

What's the normal distance limit on trade posts? I'd never played a merchant republic before so I created one in Ireland, and while I've kept my trade posts confined to the British Isles, I noticed that the other houses in my republic have some as far away as Alexandria (possibly even further, though that one most readily leaps to mind).

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Must help people on the Hajj or Dead Grandpa will get angry.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So once you get hit by the endless tournament bug, will it last for the rest of your game or until you have ruler turnover or something? I'm having an awesome ironman game but just got hit by the bug, and I don't want to abandon this run :(

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Drone posted:

I actually quite like the Celt face pack, and loathe the Norse one. The Norse face pack just gives everyone this ugly tinge of greyish-blue that feels so fake somehow.

The Mediterranean pack isn't THAT awful. All in all I say get each of the face packs, since it's only 50 cents and for better or worse they do add a lot of variety to the game.

You all need to stop talking about how awesome the music packs are, now I'm seriously considering getting some. :negative: What are the best music packs of the bunch? And does the music only fire when you're playing a specific type of ruler? (ie: Byzantine music pack only plays when you're in the Byzantine Empire, etc.)

My favourite is definitely the Byz songs. I think half the reason why I love playing them so much is the music is extremely epic.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Main Paineframe posted:

My resistance has finally been broken down; I'm ready to buy the face and song packs. I know there's a few that are widely recognized as terrible and hideous and not worth getting, but which ones are the ones I should be avoiding?

Get all of them plus the Portrait Realignment Pack. It even makes Med portraits look good, and adds a ton of flavour.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Portrait realignment is good, but it gets rid of the norse faces.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Got it all working after the patch again, despite a few scares and slip-ups because adding provinces and titles while some things still weren't working seemed like a good idea. :woop:

How does graphical culture type work? Republic clothing overrides everything else, hence the character portrait above, but it'd be real great if African-American nobility defaulted to generic western clothing, or just something other than facepaint.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

DrPop posted:

So once you get hit by the endless tournament bug, will it last for the rest of your game or until you have ruler turnover or something? I'm having an awesome ironman game but just got hit by the bug, and I don't want to abandon this run :(

It'll end when your ruler dies, fortunately

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone know if it's possible to change the behavior of the council button that bans people from leading armies? Pre-RoI it would stay toggled on, but now it always resets to off whenever I replace a council member.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Disco Infiva posted:

Judging by his picture, he only has one kingdom but own everything in it.

Every time I divvy out a Duchy to someone who shares his religion and generally has an okay opinion of him they revolt against him and I wind up having to roll over them with my bullshit retinue then I usurp their title while they're in jail because I have no idea what I'm doing.

For awhile there I was down under my demesne cap (4/7!) But then 9 of them revolted all at once. Luckily one of my leader's sons was now King of Poland so I just called in his allies, raised all his levies and crushed them and now I have all these duchies again.

#CKproblems

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dibujante posted:

This seems silly; there's no way heavily armored knights or war elephants would be able to catch mongol horsemen with any kind of reliability.

The Hungarians did a pretty good job of it. The trick was refusing to follow the Mongols onto terrain of their choosing. Make them cross a river to fight you and they can either receive your charge or be driven into the river. Same with any kind of rough terrain. I think we could trust an 18 marshal leader to produce a situation conducive to European Knights charging horse archers. It's hardly reliable in the game engine either.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

The Hungarians did a pretty good job of it. The trick was refusing to follow the Mongols onto terrain of their choosing. Make them cross a river to fight you and they can either receive your charge or be driven into the river. Same with any kind of rough terrain. I think we could trust an 18 marshal leader to produce a situation conducive to European Knights charging horse archers. It's hardly reliable in the game engine either.

The battle of Mohi was as much of a clusterfuck as it could have been for the Mongols:
  • The mongols were outnumbered.
  • A salient was lured into a night attack over a bridge into oncoming archers.
  • The next day, their main force got trapped with its back to a river.
  • The Mongols still won and occupied Hungary for a year, killing 20-40% of the population and leaving the whole of Eastern Europe in ruins. Had Ogedei not died, it is likely that the Mongols would have completed their eradication of Hungarian holdouts.

That sounds like the Mongol general rolled extremely poorly, not like the Hungarian one rolled well (generally, European armies at that time lacked the command & control structure necessary to roll well on a Mongol scale). The only way for that kind of engagement to happen is if the Mongol general messes up; the Hungarian general really can't force it. In general, the Mongol conquest of just about everywhere outside of China is an exercise in people trying to figure out how to close to melee with their cavalry and failing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jenner posted:

I... like... women with big numbers...

Oh my god, Becky, look at her Martial stat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dibujante posted:

The battle of Mohi was as much of a clusterfuck as it could have been for the Mongols:
  • The mongols were outnumbered.
  • A salient was lured into a night attack over a bridge into oncoming archers.
  • The next day, their main force got trapped with its back to a river.

And the Hungarians had nothing to do with this situation? Managing to get the famously manouverable Mongols hung up on a river crossing and forcing battle there doesn't sound like an accident. Trapping their main body against a river doesn't sound like an accident. Offering a crossing covered by a crossbow ambush doesn't sound like an accident. And it wasn't.

King Bela of Hungary took the news of mongol activity on his borders far more seriously than other rulers and was preparing his defenses months in advance of their actual arrival. It's really quite impressive the intelligence he was able to gather and the lengths he went to to secure allies. Had the Hungarian dukes actually listened to him and supported his diplomatic and military policies it's very unlikely that Mohi would have even happened, and if it did he probably would have won. Even with his dukes actively sabotaging the war effort and insisting on stupid operational decisions he nearly managed a draw.

Some things Bela did that are drat impressive:

[list]
  • sought out steppe people fleeing the Mongols to question then about Mongol tactics.
  • Allied with the King of Cumania
  • settled displaced Cumans in the Hungarian basin in return for military service -- as horse archers
  • gathered provisions from the countryside and stockpiled them in fortified areas -- remember he had months in advance to do this
  • began raising troops months in advance

Now true to Crusader Kings his dukes dragged their heels on their levies, threatened to rebel if he didn't expel the Cumans and their allied horse archer army, and at the last moment murdered the King of Cumania and caused the whole Cuman army to gently caress off raiding Southern Hungary instead of helping in the battle. Dukes, right?

Then they forced Bela to go out and give battle with his reduced army out they were going to do it themselves, so he went out despite wanting to sit in castles and wait for the Mongols to discover the county had been emptied of provisions. They even pushed him to fall for the Mongol trick of pulling back and pulling armies out of position. But when the Mongols tried to get him to cross a river at them he sat tight and fortified the position. It was the Mongols who needed to join battle and they hosed themselves into having to make an opposed river crossing into pikes and crossbows.

The Hungarian army may have lost but King Bela's martial skill gave the Mongols a more serious run for their money than they had ever had in Europe, despite his strategy having been completely ruined by his dukes. Had Bela's preparations succeeded he would have had an army 30-50% larger and with a large contingent of veteran horse archers. He was planning to use his castles and scorched earth tactics to draw the Mongols into a campaign of his choosing. As it was, without the allies he had cultivated, in a pitched battle not if his choosing but in a fortuitous position, he came close to a draw.

The Mongols won because of their tech advantage in artillery and siege engineering. The victory at Mohi was all on the engineer corps; if they hadn't erected two pontoon bridges in record time and got flanking forces around behind the Hungarian position it's very possible the Mongol army would have not been able to force the crossing. The Mongols made several attempts to cross before the pontoon bridge flank attack idea and they were repulsed with heavy losses on both sides each time. Without the engineer corps it's not clear at all that Mohi would have been anything but a tactical draw and strategic defeat for the Mongol army.

In hindsight we know that that army's next move was to link up with the forces in Poland/Lithuania and then get recalled on Ogudai's death. Without those engineers history might have recorded that the Mongols gave up and left Hungary never to return. Even if they had retreated temporarily at Mohi and intended to return they would not have.

Ironically though the defeat at Mohi lead to better cooperation between Bela (who escaped the battle) and his dukes, not least because the Mongols had proved him right about everything He began an extensive fortification program that made the Mongols give up on their next incursion. If Bela had won at Mohi it may have left his castles unbuilt and left Hungary open to the next attack 40 years later.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 28, 2014

• Dibujante
    Jul 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hungarian stuffs

I'm not bashing Bela as an excellent military leader and statesman. I'm pointing out the amazing confluence of circumstances it would take to force Mongol commanders to commit their men to a battle not of maneuver. I mean, we could go on and on about the great performance of those armies, but my main point is this: Subutai had to make the conscious decision to force an unadvisable river crossing against possibly the largest and most organized army Europe had. Under just about any other circumstance, he would have had his run of the battlefield. Even in that circumstance, he still had to be complicit in losing his maneuverability. It is possible that he decided it was an acceptable loss - he did win (with losses that Mongols considered high, but which would have been considered low by any other combatant).

The rest of the things that Bela did are not really at the same scale. Building fortresses, raising effective allies, pacifying vassals, and conducting a campaign of scorched earth are all excellent strategic-level decisions that don't really factor back into the original tactical question: "How likely is it that knights or war elephants are going to get to charge to melee range against Mongol skirmishers?" To me, it seems like asking what the odds are that a soldier can use a machinegun to disable a tank. Yeah, it could happen. But one of those devices is pretty much perfectly suited to counter the other.

Charlz Guybon
    Nov 16, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Political concerns is a catch all for anything that makes them afraid you might be able to grab their titles. The most common is normal marriage to a daughter who is an heir but there's other possibilities.

I don't have a claim on any of his titles. His first son would be marrying my heir, so his son's heir would be gaining my titles.

Robindaybird
    Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So played Merchant republic as a Break (Amalfi Old Gods start). My Doge was banging his son's wife for a decade, and both his wife and daughter-in-law/lover has been popping out kids with genius or attractive traits, so I decided to pair up the kids with grand kids since all other options sucked.

It just hit me that I might be pairing up half-siblings.

Edit: And when the daughter-in-law dies, he moves onto the next one, he's doing well for a 70 year old hunchback

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 28, 2014

Zhaan
    Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
    Buddhism doesn't seem to currently have a moral authority tooltip when I hover over it. I'd really love to know why it dropped 13 points out of nowhere when I have 4 out of 5 holy sites and haven't lost any wars.

TaurusTorus
    Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Zhaan posted:

Buddhism doesn't seem to currently have a moral authority tooltip when I hover over it. I'd really love to know why it dropped 13 points out of nowhere when I have 4 out of 5 holy sites and haven't lost any wars.

I need this for Hinduism.

Dibujante
    Jul 27, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

So played Merchant republic as a Break (Amalfi Old Gods start). My Doge was banging his son's wife for a decade, and both his wife and daughter-in-law/lover has been popping out kids with genius or attractive traits, so I decided to pair up the kids with grand kids since all other options sucked.

It just hit me that I might be pairing up half-siblings.

Republics can designate an heir, right? So just marry away, designate the best non-inbred one as the heir, and then marry the inbred ones into rival families. Inbred is a highly heritable trait.

Randarkman
    Jul 18, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

How does graphical culture type work? Republic clothing overrides everything else, hence the character portrait above, but it'd be real great if African-American nobility defaulted to generic western clothing, or just something other than facepaint.

The files that decide what a graphical culture look like are in the interface folder and are titled portraits_"NAME OF CULUTRE".gfx (for example portraits_mediterranean), you can define a new graphical culture by making a new such file with "NAME OF CULTURE" being a name defined in some file in the folder graphicalculturetypes inside the "common" folder. In the .gfx file itself you can choose which assests you want to use for your new (or edited) graphcial culture, such as clothing, hair, eyes, beards and hats. Its quite easy as its mostly just copy-pasting, but you have to do this for both young, middle aged and old portraits for both male and female. You're also gonna have to look inside the DLC archived folder for the african portraits to know where to point at to get the african faces, eyes, hairs, etc.

So making an African-American graphical culture type should be pretty easy.

Edit: it is possible i am remembering some details wrong, as i dont have access to my computer with ck2 at the moment

Wat kind of cultures are you thinking of including, by the way? What religons? Will you use the mechanics for the different religions in normal CK2 to allow some general wackery to occur, rather than having everybody be monogamous, non-raiding, crusade-having christians? I mean polyMormons, with defensive bonuses in Utah and Scientologists on the West Coast using reincarnation events from ROI or something would be cool.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 28, 2014

Another Person
    Oct 21, 2010
    Right, so I just started playing this game. I am playing as the Count of Perfeddwlad in Wales (because I am from that shithole), and wow, is there so few options for me to progress. It is a constant struggle to get more than 50G. I am messing with taxation right now, to get money from there, but it is slow.

Any quick tips on how to get more gold?

Also, I am trying to figure out where would be the best territory to take? Should I vie for my kings other county, or should I be going for the territories in South Wales?

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
    Feb 19, 2011
    Counts aren't necessarily the best thing to learn how to play the game with and I would recommend a Ducal character instead.

Another Person posted:

Right, so I just started playing this game. I am playing as the Count of Perfeddwlad in Wales (because I am from that shithole), and wow, is there so few options for me to progress. It is a constant struggle to get more than 50G. I am messing with taxation right now, to get money from there, but it is slow.

Any quick tips on how to get more gold?

Also, I am trying to figure out where would be the best territory to take? Should I vie for my kings other county, or should I be going for the territories in South Wales?

That's tricky. If you go for the Southern Wales region, then your Duke/Petty King may get enough land under him to create the duchy for south Wales and then become King of Wales, which leaves you back at square 1. I would go for a southern county, war for independence afterwards, and then try to take enough of his territory in a third war to usurp the duchy from him.

But really, just play as the Duke of Apulia.

• Locked thread