Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I'm not sure where I should put this question but anyway. I will probably be finishing up my God of War LP within a couple of weeks. How do I go about getting it up on the archive when it's all done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Migeman posted:

I'm not sure where I should put this question but anyway. I will probably be finishing up my God of War LP within a couple of weeks. How do I go about getting it up on the archive when it's all done?

Email Baldurk. I think he left an email in the OP in the sandcastle.

Edit: Here's the relevant blurb.

quote:

: Can I have my thread archived? What about this thread I really like, but I'm not the author?

: Any thread which has been completed can be archived - just email baldurk with the link to the thread, and he'll sort out the rest from there, getting any information from you if you're the author. If you have any specific requests or instructions feel free to include them in the email.

It's recommended but not required to include an archive blurb - a 160x120 image and a paragraph short enough to fit next to it without overflowing, see the top of the front page of the archive for examples.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
That blurb is a little bit of a misnomer since the second question isn't directly answered. It is answered, however, on lparchive.org:

FAQ posted:

The only reason that we might disallow an LP entry into the archive is if the author didn't want their thread to be archived. Don't worry, we completely understand you not wanting your boss to find a video of you shouting at Megaman a couple of years from now.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JT Jag posted:

There's a whole argument regarding the pros and cons of post commentary, but mostly I agree with you. Commentating during a video does give certain advantages in certain situations, but usually that doesn't outweigh the problems it comes with unless the video requires no editing at all. Action games lend themselves to live commentary alright. RPGs? Stick to post as a rule.

I was just providing advice for if you've already chosen to do post-commentary. If you're doing live, then my advice obviously doesn't apply. It's just that live group commentary is probably not something that I personally would attempt.

More advice would be that if you're doing a humorous LP, probably don't do it live. Doing it in post does preclude some things you could do more easily live, especially showing off glitches, but my philosophy is "MST3K never went in blind, and they were professionals, so why should I?"

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

DStecks posted:

Doing it in post does preclude some things you could do more easily live, especially showing off glitches, ...

Wait, what? If anything I'd think it'd be the other way around. Doing it live, you've only got one shot at the glitch (unless you faff around in the same area for a while trying to do it while your co-commentators get bored). But with post, you can do however many takes you need to make it happen, and then people commentate fresh over that when you send the video to them. Unexpected glitches would also be pretty even. You've got about as much chance of forgetting to record a run either way, and even if you don't record your practice runs just in case, you've again only got one shot at live for wacky things to happen too.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Email Baldurk. I think he left an email in the OP in the sandcastle.

Edit: Here's the relevant blurb.

Thanks a bunch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Wait, what? If anything I'd think it'd be the other way around. Doing it live, you've only got one shot at the glitch (unless you faff around in the same area for a while trying to do it while your co-commentators get bored). But with post, you can do however many takes you need to make it happen, and then people commentate fresh over that when you send the video to them. Unexpected glitches would also be pretty even. You've got about as much chance of forgetting to record a run either way, and even if you don't record your practice runs just in case, you've again only got one shot at live for wacky things to happen too.

Live commentary gives you the freedom to go with the flow. What you aren't seeing is that it isn't like a movie; if your co-commentators want you to show something off in greater detail, then live commentary lets you do that. It depends pretty heavily on the nature of the game, though, and not all games would benefit as heavily. Lowtax and Shmorky's videos are a good example of live commentary working, because the whole idea of the videos is that it's two guys just loving around, exploring a totally broken game.

What it comes down to is that when you do it live, you're still in control of what happens in the game. In post, all you've got is the video.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah it all depends on the game. Solo I'd probably recommend post-commentary all the time, but if you've got several people doing stuff together or making recommendations then live is pretty much required. If it's something like an RPG you could go post-co-comm easily but anything more engaged and it's a judgement call.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Shogeton posted:

At Least We're Not Elodie: Let's Play The Royal Trap

MegaZeroX posted:

Other than these things and a few typos, it seemed pretty good.

There's more than a few typos. I know using a spellchecker would have the problem of highlighting every image code, but it will also catch things like 'recieved', 'andh' and 'ot'. Those are all from the same sentence. Most spellcheckers will also catch capitalization issues, like 'OScar'.

I haven't done a screenshot LP before, but I copy & pasted my OP into a word editor when ever I made changes to it, and that worked fine. You should be able to set it to ignore images you use repeatedly, like portraits, which will cut down on the problems spellcheckers have with image codes.

EDIT:

RichardGamingo posted:

"I have no pattern recognition whatsoever"

I may repost this advice for Shogeton when the dust settles :allears:

neon flame fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 28, 2014

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

quote:

Hello!
In this thread I am going to play Eerie, a free indie horror game available on Desura. This game is basically a total unknown to me, let’s see what stuff on the internet has to say:

Eerie was developed by UGF and published in October of 2012 and has gained a reasonable amount of popularity with over 1,400,000 views on their Desura profile at http://www.desura.com/games/erie.

Official Description:

quote:

Erie drops you into a visually stunning, yet terrifying scenario where your goals are to investigate, survive, and finally escape. It’s first person horror meets intense dark-ride with hidden, rotting cats. Erie begins in October 1966, when the Fermi 1 Nuclear Power Generator suffers a partial meltdown, and locals begin disappearing from a sleepy Michigan town. Oliver Victor is a Red Cross Investigator sent to find missing locals, but quickly finds himself trapped underground and being hunted by a product of forced-mutation experiments. Oliver’s rescue mission quickly turns into a struggle to survive, escape and uncover what’s been happening under the nuclear plant on the shores of Lake Erie. Developed by the University of Utah's EAE Master Games Studio Program.

Well, that’s pretty ominous!

Eerie Part 1

Best Regards,
RG

RichardGamingo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 28, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

RichardGamingo posted:

Eerie Part 1

Best Regards,
RG

There's a little picture of your face in the videos! That's totally unnecessary.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Dusseldorf posted:

There's a little picture of your face in the videos!

HOLY poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serious: Something Awful let's players are very afraid of people IRL. Facecams trigger their strange fears and they will not watch your let's plays.

Think of it this way:

Facecam: Make lots of money from youtube. You will be followed in the night by a strange man called Slowbeef.

No Facecam: Win the respect of goons such as Dusseldorf, the man with the dog avatar that flips back and forth.

Putty fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 28, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Get rid of the facecam, get rid of the crappy watermark bottom right, don't read the letters (we can read ourselves). Blind playthroughs are generally frowned upon, lots of dead air with you just commenting on how "spooky" it is (it's not), game audio is way too loud.

I think the best thing for you to do is LP a game that you know well from your childhood. You can talk about the nostalgia factor, the music, have a lot of fun reliving the game. Alternatively, play a lesser-known game that you have played all the way through recently and enjoyed. Don't follow the whole formula that the popular LPers use because it won't make you liked here, and it certainly won't make you popular.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

Serious:

gently caress off and die

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Let's Play Roast!

I think the video renderer needs 3 more passes with a custom programmed anti-aliasing tool to round out some of those pointy edges.

There's too many polygons and it is effecting your performance, whenever you notice that your framerate dropped below 30, you should consider taking a few hours to hand draw the missing frames in the video.

At times I disagree with the way you chose to spray paint the symbol for "I went that way already", perhaps an arrow with a curly tail would make this video acceptable. I am looking forward to your newly replayed Lets Play!

If you only spent as much time on choosing to use the words from my bible in your commentary as you do on the gags at the start and end of the video, this Let's Play could escape the Sandcastle.

Maybe if you read every bit of text on each note there would be enough focus on the gameplay to call this a Let's Play.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

RichardGamingo posted:

Eerie Part 1

Best Regards,
RG

Lose the facecam. It distracts the viewer from the game, and to be honest, you don't need it.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

RichardGamingo posted:

I think the video renderer needs 3 more passes with a custom programmed anti-aliasing tool to round out some of those pointy edges.

There's too many polygons and it is effecting your performance, whenever you notice that your framerate dropped below 30, you should consider taking a few hours to hand draw the missing frames in the video.

At times I disagree with the way you chose to spray paint the symbol for "I went that way already", perhaps an arrow with a curly tail would make this video acceptable. I am looking forward to your newly replayed Lets Play!

If you only spent as much time on choosing to use the words from my bible in your commentary as you do on the gags at the start and end of the video, this Let's Play could escape the Sandcastle.

Maybe if you read every bit of text on each note there would be enough focus on the gameplay to call this a Let's Play.

Geop, look at what your restraint has wrought. Only the cleansing fire of a ban can redeem you now.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Herr Tog posted:

gently caress off and die

You've got guts! Come to my town, I'll buy you lunch.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

I know you're being childishly sarcastic, but the whole point of the sandcastle is to avoid redoing your entire Let's Play. Having to redo one seven minute video is better than having to redo 10 of them.

Besides, other people have handdrawn missing screenshots from their LPs, and we're specifically asking you not to read text; it's an online forum, if I couldn't read I wouldn't be here!

SA prefers quality over quantity. You seem to be trying to LP mutliple games at a time, and dislike any advice that would cut into that. People on SA will be more impressed by one good video than several mediocre ones.

neon flame fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 28, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This whole chess related drama from the last few days has made me think of an idea: I have a version of Fritz on my computer that I stole from my Dad a few years ago and I was thinking that a forum vs Fritz game would be quite fun. Since Fritz is technically a video game, I'm guessing that LP would be the place to post it?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Here's some advice: go watch some SA Lets Plays. Get a sense of how things roll in this neighborhood, then figure out what you need to do to meet the standards. The Youtube LPing norms are generally looked down upon here, so don't bother trying to cater to both audiences.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

your shitposting is boring and terrible.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Geop how does it feel to know that this is what you gave a chance to?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RichardGamingo posted:

Let's Play Roast!

Okay, the stuff about graphics made me chuckle because the people here in the sandcastle do often have a tendency to go overboard on that subject. That said, everyone here's giving you constructive criticism. I hope you realized after your little one act play of legend that the SA LP standards are NOT at the same level as the average youtube superstar's. Maybe that's because the average mean audience isn't twelve, but who knows? Regardless, when dozens of people have told you to lose the face cam, it comes from enough time having shown that it's hard to have one be anything but a distraction from the quality of your LP. We're not here to see you, we're here to see your game, no offense. I'm not trying to say that SA is all high and mighty and the end-all judge on LP standards, but A.) Youtube on the other hand has literally zero standards, and B.) if you're going to want your LPs to be popular on SA, you kind of have to cater to they styles that are acceptable to SA. Know your audience, and all that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I like your Let's Play just the way it is, Richard Gamingo. :allears:

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RichardGamingo posted:

I read all this, honestly I didn't really expect anything different, but I STILL went ahead and just purchased you that Archives Upgrade because I said I would. MY LP HONOR IS IN TACT, SO PLEASE GAMINGO, DON'T MAKE ME COMMIT LP SEPPUWHATEVER BEFORE THE SUN RISES AGAIN.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Don't worry, you keep archives when you get banned apparently

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

IceAgeComing posted:

Don't worry, you keep archives when you get banned apparently

Wait, how? I've personally gotten someone banned because they were stupid enough to share their account info on Tumblr so people could bypass the paywall for Dangan Ronpa and when that account was banned, you literally could not access any part of the forums except for Leper's Colony. I mean I guess if they re-instated the account, they could use it, but that's if they're willing to pony up another :10bux:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

BMS posted:

I read all this, honestly I didn't really expect anything different, but I STILL went ahead and just purchased you that Archives Upgrade because I said I would. MY LP HONOR IS IN TACT, SO PLEASE GAMINGO, DON'T MAKE ME COMMIT LP SEPPUWHATEVER BEFORE THE SUN RISES AGAIN.

I'm glad there is still some chivalry in the world of let's play.

But seriously, dude's gonna improve. Just everyone don't be upset if in the end he doesn't fit the mould exactly.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, how? I've personally gotten someone banned because they were stupid enough to share their account info on Tumblr so people could bypass the paywall for Dangan Ronpa and when that account was banned, you literally could not access any part of the forums except for Leper's Colony. I mean I guess if they re-instated the account, they could use it, but that's if they're willing to pony up another :10bux:

after you unban yourself, that's what I mean.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Killrrhubarb posted:

I think the best thing for you to do is LP a game that you know well from your childhood. You can talk about the nostalgia factor, the music, have a lot of fun reliving the game. Alternatively, play a lesser-known game that you have played all the way through recently and enjoyed. Don't follow the whole formula that the popular LPers use because it won't make you liked here, and it certainly won't make you popular.

This, this, a million times this. You're charming enough, but if you haven't played the game you're LPing before, your commentary is mostly going to be pure reaction, and in uneventful stretches, this can leave you with dead air. If you do know about the game you've played, well, you won't have that problem. Plus, it's probably a good thing if you know what you're doing in the game itself.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

start the (cafe)presses

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Putty posted:

I'm glad there is still some chivalry in the world of let's play.

But seriously, dude's gonna improve. Just everyone don't be upset if in the end he doesn't fit the mould exactly.

Yes, I am a suave, southern, noble bastard.

Of course he will. Whether he continues to post here on SA, or just sticks to YouTube, I say more power to him and the rest. Half the fun of this sub-forum is seeing just how far to both extremes people can seriously take this poo poo! It's like GBS, unknowingly.

Edit:
drat, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't use this for some type of custom thumbnail/channel banner thing.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Gamingo it's okay you can leave the facecam in but please don't play boring poo poo games unless you're going to tear them apart with witty cynicism/goofy metaphors like in your chess LP this is my expert advice HTH

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

start the (cafe)presses

How did you only put the white rim highlighting on the G but not the M or O. And it's not even the correct light direction!

You suck at Photoshop.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

hahaha

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Suspicious Dish posted:

How did you only put the white rim highlighting on the G but not the M or O. And it's not even the correct light direction!

You suck at Photoshop.

i forgot one of my ctrl z's

vvv thats my problem too. i tried to press ctrl and z but neer the twain met vvv

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 28, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Mr. Gamingo, I'm going to save you a lot of time with one bit of advice:
Make your blind scarecam horror game LPs for Youtube.
Then make completely different LPs for Something Awful.
That way you can still keep your Youtube popularity while still being able to participate in the fun and friendly atmosphere here at SA LP.
It's like having your cake and eating it too except I'm not sure which of those two things could be considered a 'cake' and how good it would taste if it was.
Anyway the problem you're running into here is that you want to do all the stuff that makes LPers popular on Youtube while still trying to make something we here want to see. Alas, ne'er the twain shall meet. What we want is completely different from what Youtube wants. Once you realize that and adjust your strategy accordingly, your LPing life will become so much more simple.

And if you want to see what a great horror LP series looks like, go watch the Fatal Frame LPs in the LP Archive. Not that there aren't any other good ones, but those ones are definitely my favorites. It's like watching a 20 hour long horror movie which doesn't sound good but it totally is.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

This whole chess related drama from the last few days has made me think of an idea: I have a version of Fritz on my computer that I stole from my Dad a few years ago and I was thinking that a forum vs Fritz game would be quite fun. Since Fritz is technically a video game, I'm guessing that LP would be the place to post it?

There's been buzz about a real Chess LP thread (that I'm optimistic for), I'd be interested in this. I don't think it'd be enough for an LP and there only really needs one person who actually knows how to play chess, knows how to play chess against a computer or just straight up cheats and the game could go out the window, but it sure sounds like an interesting thread experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shogeton posted:

At Least We're Not Elodie: Let's Play The Royal Trap

:neckbeard: I have to say, this is by far my favourite Hanako game, and I'm eagerly waiting and insanely jealous of you for making this LP!

• Locked thread