Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Even though I liked the Android/Cell Sagas it always bugged me they came after Freeza. I mean Goku's battle with Freeza literally destroyed a planet. Even before Freeza put a time bomb in the core or whatever, just them sparring was literally wrecking the planet. The only reason it didn't kill millions in collateral damage as soon as it started was because almost everyone was already dead. The idea of something dwarfing Goku's and Freeza's power at the time is just ridiculous and they got around it by just not having the fights be nearly as intense. Even SSJ2 Gohan against Cell wasn't that nuts in comparison. poo poo, during the Namek fight Goku deflecting an attack Freeza fired off in just a few seconds destroyed a whole other planet. The Cell fights just made the planet shake, but I don't remember any randomly deflected energy beams even destroying small cities.

Basically, if the Androids were way stronger than Freeza, and Cells 1st form was stronger than the Androids, and then Cells perfect from made Cells first form look like nothing, then Perfect Cell just warming up with a few practice punches into the air should have destroyed the entire Solar System. It's not just power levels being bullshit, its the whole progression of power. Plot wise you can see it make sense that Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell, but power wise you can tell he first wanted to end it after Freeza cause he didn't really leave anywhere else to go. You really can't get any more extreme fight wise than Freeza and they never even came close again.

It's indicative of a problem with fighting stories for sure, as inevitably the power creep ruins the storyline.

However, there was a reason why they weren't nuking the planet during the Cell fights; Goku and co. actually care about Earth, and Cell knows this and exploits it for his bloodlust. Cell holds back simply because he wants to fight, and only goes full-Earth destruction when he's about to lose.

That's why Goku is able to pull off the Warp Kamehameha--Cell is incredulous that Goku would actually use a planet-wrecking move on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mister Roboto posted:

That's why Goku is able to pull off the Warp Kamehameha--Cell is incredulous that Goku would actually use a planet-wrecking move on Earth.

This part has always annoyed the hell out of me. Not because of that, but because he blew Cell's entire upper half clear off his body. Why did Goku think he couldn't win for some ridiculous reason? Was it different in the manga or something?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Momomo posted:

This part has always annoyed the hell out of me. Not because of that, but because he blew Cell's entire upper half clear off his body. Why did Goku think he couldn't win for some ridiculous reason? Was it different in the manga or something?

Goku put all his energy into that one blast and after that point knew he was out of the fight since that wasn't enough.

This is said in both manga and anime. Also, if you look closely, both Goku and Cell are out of breath at that point, but Goku is way more winded.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Vegeta's Final Flash blew off huge chunks of Cell too, but it's undeniable that Perfect Cell was stronger than him. Same thing goes for Goku vs Cell, Goku could never win in a straight up fight so he had to go for tactics. And even then Goku wasn't strong enough to vaporize Cell's entire body at once.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Momomo posted:

Toriyama actually wanted to end the series at Cell(after being convinced to continue it after Freiza), with Gohan becoming Goku's successor as Earth's protector.

The In-Story reason is that Goku was just testing Cell's limits to see if Gohan would be able to defeat him. Even though Goku had a chance to win, he felt that Gohan would have to step up to the plate sooner or later.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Seemed reasonable to me. Goku tried his absolute best using a single-shot trick and it failed to finish Perfect Cell. Even with a Sensu he still doesn't have enough to beat Perfect Cell straight up (unless he can think up another trick where he can unload his full power at an undodging Perfect Cell).

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

Toriyama actually wanted to end the series at Cell(after being convinced to continue it after Freiza), with Gohan becoming Goku's successor as Earth's protector.

The In-Story reason is that Goku was just testing Cell's limits to see if Gohan would be able to defeat him. Even though Goku had a chance to win, he felt that Gohan would have to step up to the plate sooner or later.

I thought it was proven that all these 'Toriyama wanted to end the series at x' stories were mere speculation.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

crankdatbatman posted:

I thought it was proven that all these 'Toriyama wanted to end the series at x' stories were mere speculation.

It wasn't "proven" so much as "determined there was no public evidence to support them."

Meaning that there's plenty of times he COULD have wanted to end it but never told the public.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Since the topic's reared its head again, time to give the most well-researched answer to "Toriyama wanted to end it at [blank]" again.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Very interesting. I haven't finished reading it, but the part where it talks about the possibility of it ending after the Piccolo arc makes so much sense after reading it.

quote:

However, he said that he still had “absolutely no desire” to end the series. He said that the prospect of continuing the series for “another three years is so tedious it makes me shudder, but I intend on probably continuing it for just a little bit more. Look forward to it”.

I mean, the poo poo ends with Goku being offered godhood, him being like "gently caress no that'd be boring" and running off with Chichi to live happily ever after. It didn't come off like a definitive ending, but Goku literally got what he had been working for for so long (winning the world tournament), so it makes sense that the story wouldn't (intentionally) go on for much longer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've read that Toriyama did want the story to end with the first Dragon Ball quest. It might even have been in that article; I'll have to re-read it to double check.

Edit: Sure enough, that particular rumour was the very first one they cover!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

oku wanted the series to end after Pilaf Oolong

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Toriyama sold out after the Ox King.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Dragonball Z was supposed to end after they earned their drivers license. Then Dragonball R begins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

Toriyama sold out after the Ox King.

I liked it better when it was a series about a blue-haired girl driving her futuristic car down a country road, but then she met some kid with a tail. It never recovered from that blunder.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I liked it better when it was a series about a blue-haired girl driving her futuristic car down a country road, but then she met some kid with a tail. It never recovered from that blunder.

The series jumped the shark after the Dragon Boy pilot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I never even liked Dragon Ball, I'm just posting in this thread ironically.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Why the gently caress are we talking about dragon testicles?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Why the gently caress are we talking about dragon testicles?

This is one of those parody jokes that fails because it's already made (more than once, actually) in the work being parodied.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Akira who?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know about you but I was looking forward to discussion about Dragon Ball, a sport played with tamed dragons.

Namtab posted:

Akira who?

The movie?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

DBZ Abridged is based on an actual show???

:aaaaa:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Crosspeice posted:

DBZ Abridged is based on an actual show???

:aaaaa:

It's based on an animated version of a Superman fan-comic some guy in Japan made where he has a tail and crazy hair and isn't as strong.

Cow Tippin Sloth
Jan 4, 2010
Also Lex luther has a beard and sunglasses and takes superman under his wing just so he can embarrass him in front of the world.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What the h*ck is animation?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Battle of Gods is getting a US release.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/03/23/showcase-dragon-ball-kai-animejapan-2014/

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Taking bets on wether eva 3 or battle of the gods will release first

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Evangelion 3.33's technically already been released here, just in a super limited theater run and the DVD/Blu Ray release is probably happening by June. I doubt Battle of Gods is happening before September at the earliest.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Someday 3.33 will get here... Hopefully before I leave the drat country.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm super excited to watch Battle of the Gods again. I'd love to see it with some friends who aren't into subs but love DBZ; I eagerly anticipate my arguments with them about whether Vegeta being a dork rules or sucks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've been looking at Battle of the Gods Director's Cut scenes today.

Even Mr. Satan gets a showcase!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IzySRMKcjA

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 28, 2014

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Even though I liked the Android/Cell Sagas it always bugged me they came after Freeza. I mean Goku's battle with Freeza literally destroyed a planet. Even before Freeza put a time bomb in the core or whatever, just them sparring was literally wrecking the planet. The only reason it didn't kill millions in collateral damage as soon as it started was because almost everyone was already dead. The idea of something dwarfing Goku's and Freeza's power at the time is just ridiculous and they got around it by just not having the fights be nearly as intense. Even SSJ2 Gohan against Cell wasn't that nuts in comparison. poo poo, during the Namek fight Goku deflecting an attack Freeza fired off in just a few seconds destroyed a whole other planet. The Cell fights just made the planet shake, but I don't remember any randomly deflected energy beams even destroying small cities.

Basically, if the Androids were way stronger than Freeza, and Cells 1st form was stronger than the Androids, and then Cells perfect from made Cells first form look like nothing, then Perfect Cell just warming up with a few practice punches into the air should have destroyed the entire Solar System. It's not just power levels being bullshit, its the whole progression of power. Plot wise you can see it make sense that Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell, but power wise you can tell he first wanted to end it after Freeza cause he didn't really leave anywhere else to go. You really can't get any more extreme fight wise than Freeza and they never even came close again.

Only certain attacks destroy planets because only certain attacks have big gently caress-off-explosive power.

If you look at the Freeza saga, his most dangerous attack was a tiny beam that shot out of his finger. He could blow up planets with that ball-thing, yeah, but in a fight, a tiny quick focused beam is the worst thing ever (until SSJ Goku showed up and could tank it).

They didn't aim any big gently caress-off explosive blasts down at the planet after the Freeza saga for that reason. When they did, it was a huge deal, normally used to trick Cell into tanking something or something similar. The villains didn't because they didn't want to blow up the planet (yet), the heroes because they obviously didn't.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVcOKppJZE

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"Fight back! Gohan. Goten. And... Gokuuuuuuuuuuuuuu."

I don't know why but that slayed me.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Away all Goats posted:

Are we allowed to talk about video games here?

I remember playing the Budokai Tenkaichi games in the past as a teen and loved it. So far the only game that really captured the fast, explosive and destructive fights in the series. I was really getting a hankering to play it again but it would require buying a PS2.

That said, I noticed there were sequels called Raging Blast for the PS3, and having checked out some videos, I gotta say, I'm not impressed. It looks like a cheap knockoff despite being a generation older.

So for those who have played: Is the Raging Blast series of games any good? Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

You realize they re-released Budokai 3, and Tenkaichi as a HD remake right? I picked it up on a whim due to Budokai 3 being my favorite DBZ game, and was sad by my rose tinted glasses. :(

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

You realize they re-released Budokai 3, and Tenkaichi as a HD remake right? I picked it up on a whim due to Budokai 3 being my favorite DBZ game, and was sad by my rose tinted glasses. :(

Actually Budokai HD is just Budokai 1 and 3. Doesn't matter since everyone knows the best way to play Budokai is Tenkaichi 2 on Wii with motion controls on. :v:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ultimate Tenkaichi is a rock paper scissors simulator with my legendary super space warrior, "rear end Grabbums".

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Which Tenkaichi game are you talking about? Is it Ultimate Tenkaichi? Because it's a completely different style of fighting game to the Budokai Tenkaichi games. I still highly recommend picking up a BT game if you have a working Playstation 2. The learning curve is kind of steep but the fights you can have in that game are the closest thing to the fluid fights you see the series (as opposed to the weird cutscene heavy, rock-paper-scissors decision making some of the other games have).

Like you can rush forward, smash a dude into the ground, grab his leg to throw him into the air and unleash a kamehameha before he even recovers. It's very free-form in its ability to form combos since some of the cutscene attacks leave the opponent reeling in the air letting you continue your combo if you know what your doing. It's great.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Tenkaichi 3 is the best fighting game ever made if you only random and punch your friend in the mouth when he gets Goten and stunlocks you every loving time with his bullshit 2-bar charge attack.

Also I am a world champion at it.

• Locked thread