Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My 1985 corolla manages to switch headlight positions without the dash illumination being affected. Pretty sure it's possible to design a switch that doesn't do that. If every other car I've ever driven (and there have been hundreds) did it, I wouldn't have singled this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
This is several pages back, but everyone laughing about the Corolla having a CVT option in Canada... In the US, in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen, the new Toyota Corolla has a six speed manual or, as a $600 option, a four speed automatic.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

This is several pages back, but everyone laughing about the Corolla having a CVT option in Canada... In the US, in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen, the new Toyota Corolla has a six speed manual or, as a $600 option, a four speed automatic.

Who cares about that poo poo, it has standard bluetooth and I can access facebook on it yo

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Left Ventricle posted:

Why spend money on anything but god's true transmission, the manual? :colbert:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Left Ventricle posted:

I'm pretty sure the option is obvious here.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I like that Toyota seems to be actively punishing lazy/stupid people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here in NZ manual cars are always cheaper than the auto equivalent AFAIK. It's part of what lets salesmen do a decent discount as soon as you walk through the door.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
For some reason, my father still hangs on to a Holden VK Commodore (mid 80s or so model), but certainly by no actual effort of GM's engineering division.

Over the course of the first year we owned it (back in the 90s or so), my father and I ended up performing some uh, maintenance:

-Found the ECU was convinced the engine was constantly running rich and thus making the engine run so lean that it was impossible to go anywhere. Applied a Hammer to the ECU / EFI system.
-Applied a Hammer to the greater parts of the exhaust recirculation system. Set aside time to continue testing Hammer's tensile strength on said system.
-Made a new intake manifold out of steel, fitted carburetor, took the original Holden air pan and applied a Hammer to dish the bottom of it enough to let it sit under the hood with the added height of the carb. Hooked manual choke up to self-cracked, non-functional spacer switches labeled 'SPARE' on dashboard.
-Refilled the air conditioner. This involves removing the entire dashboard of the car to get the AC unit, which is held in place by two pieces of literal twine and evidently the first thing installed at the factory, upon after every other internal component of the front of the car is fitted around it.
-Ignition tumbler started to free-wheel. Applied Hammer to steering column. New OEM Holden key didn't fit the Ignition tumbler in the new steering column, so used a handfile on a butterknife to make a key blank with intention to match lock grooves. Without actually doing anything more to the steel, this 'key' opened driver's door, passenger door, tailgate and started the car.
-Replaced the fuel lines with newer OEM Holden Commodore model ones suited for non-leaded fuel. After these immediately failed upon being fed non-leaded fuel, replaced them with a set of lines from a half-rusted 1973 Holden Kingswood which had been parked outside under a tree for 14 years. Worked fine.
-Found the 'intelligent' valve setup on exhaust collector (which was meant to warm the engine by allowing gasses into the engine bay, apparently) was essentially preventing most of the exhaust from leaving via the exhaust pipe. Applied Hammer to valve.
-Tailgate arms started to lose pressure and randomly close the tailgate when open. Applied Hammer to tailgate arms and replaced with pieces of a locking ladder.

Most recently, most of the entire running gear has been replaced by the Holden HQ equivalents, which are more reliable, better made, cost less and are less complex. The car's past half a million miles at this point and one of these days I am going to steal it and drive it into the ocean so he stops repairing the automotive equivalent of a disease festival.

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 28, 2014

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Spades posted:

one of these days I am going to steal it and drive it into the ocean so he stops repairing the automotive equivalent of a disease festival.

Automotive Insanity > Post terrible car stuff in this thread - disease festival

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Spades posted:

my father and I ended up performing some uh, maintenance:

Congratulations for living bush mechanics

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Spades posted:

For some reason, my father still hangs on to a Holden VK Commodore (mid 80s or so model), but certainly by no actual effort of GM's engineering division.

Over the course of the first year we owned it (back in the 90s or so), my father and I ended up performing some uh, maintenance:

-Found the ECU was convinced the engine was constantly running rich and thus making the engine run so lean that it was impossible to go anywhere. Applied a Hammer to the ECU / EFI system.
-Applied a Hammer to the greater parts of the exhaust recirculation system. Set aside time to continue testing Hammer's tensile strength on said system.
-Made a new intake manifold out of steel, fitted carburetor, took the original Holden air pan and applied a Hammer to dish the bottom of it enough to let it sit under the hood with the added height of the carb. Hooked manual choke up to self-cracked, non-functional spacer switches labeled 'SPARE' on dashboard.
-Refilled the air conditioner. This involves removing the entire dashboard of the car to get the AC unit, which is held in place by two pieces of literal twine and evidently the first thing installed at the factory, upon after every other internal component of the front of the car is fitted around it.
-Ignition tumbler started to free-wheel. Applied Hammer to steering column. New OEM Holden key didn't fit the Ignition tumbler in the new steering column, so used a handfile on a butterknife to make a key blank with intention to match lock grooves. Without actually doing anything more to the steel, this 'key' opened driver's door, passenger door, tailgate and started the car.
-Replaced the fuel lines with newer OEM Holden Commodore model ones suited for non-leaded fuel. After these immediately failed upon being fed non-leaded fuel, replaced them with a set of lines from a half-rusted 1973 Holden Kingswood which had been parked outside under a tree for 14 years. Worked fine.
-Found the 'intelligent' valve setup on exhaust collector (which was meant to warm the engine by allowing gasses into the engine bay, apparently) was essentially preventing most of the exhaust from leaving via the exhaust pipe. Applied Hammer to valve.
-Tailgate arms started to lose pressure and randomly close the tailgate when open. Applied Hammer to tailgate arms and replaced with pieces of a locking ladder.

Most recently, most of the entire running gear has been replaced by the Holden HQ equivalents, which are more reliable, better made, cost less and are less complex. The car's past half a million miles at this point and one of these days I am going to steal it and drive it into the ocean so he stops repairing the automotive equivalent of a disease festival.

This is largely because VKs are awesome to hoon around in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Awesome? In what way?

I had the misfortune of growing up with Holdens - my dad worked there so has a succession of brand new models as company cars and they were all terrible (apart from I think an MB Barina which he liked)

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

dissss posted:

Awesome? In what way?

I had the misfortune of growing up with Holdens - my dad worked there so has a succession of brand new models as company cars and they were all terrible (apart from I think an MB Barina which he liked)

The black 202 in the vk is the best base for a hot 6 and they cost nothing

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Left Ventricle posted:

Conversely, a friend of mine was shopping for a new pickup last year, and they don't sell F150s with a manual anymore.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

Hey look, a picture!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've been there, except it was a fishing umbrella to keep the rain off as I changed a wheel bearing.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Conversely, a friend of mine was shopping for a new pickup last year, and they don't sell F150s with a manual anymore.

So aggravating to have to go to f250 (do these even offer a stick anymore) or even larger just to get a manual on the type of vehicle where a manual would be most useful.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Left Ventricle posted:

Only the base L model has that though. Every other model has a CVT, and the S can also have the 6 speed manual. I'm not sure who would even buy the L with an auto, but I guess it costs Toyota nothing to keep making them, although the dealer we went to didn't have a single one on the lot.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Hey those are some neat looking custom stripes on this Mustang!

Wait, that doesn't look right...

:smith:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Looks like painter's tape, probably a joke.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
It most definitely was. I took these photos a couple of weeks ago, and the last time I saw this car the stripes were gone but the owner had done something else. They actually did a pretty good job of putting it on, except for on the back.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdmoEWabg4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is an awesome feature.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

My 1985 corolla manages to switch headlight positions without the dash illumination being affected. Pretty sure it's possible to design a switch that doesn't do that. If every other car I've ever driven (and there have been hundreds) did it, I wouldn't have singled this one out.

My MR2, 240SX, and Prelude don't it either? I agree that would be pretty abnormal.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

animeliker posted:

My MR2, 240SX, and Prelude don't it either? I agree that would be pretty abnormal.
My Jeep and Mustang don't either.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CommieGIR posted:

This is an awesome feature.

I would never stop fiddling with it at stoplights/traffic

uncle_skin
Feb 23, 2004
Well it's that time of the year again when my town gets overtaken by donks. My house is right between two of the places they gather so I can sit on my porch and watch the parade of ridiculousness go by. I'll try to get some photos for this thread. In the meantime here's a video from last year. The cars start about two minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYwVK0vKdU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

davebo posted:

Only the base L model has that though. Every other model has a CVT, and the S can also have the 6 speed manual. I'm not sure who would even buy the L with an auto, but I guess it costs Toyota nothing to keep making them, although the dealer we went to didn't have a single one on the lot.

My point was that a) it's the same four speed they've been using since the paleolithic era, and b) they want six hundred loving dollars for the privilege! A CVT is what I would consider an upgrade, given the choice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't even want to know what the gently caress is going on under this thing...

It sure looks like a bunch of box tube and flat plate and some inbred fuckstick has been liberally applying a stick welder to things he shouldn't. Unfortunately this was posted to a facebook group that implies it's in the same state I live in, and this state sure isn't big enough for me and that truck to peacefully coexist in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Left Ventricle posted:

My point was that a) it's the same four speed they've been using since the paleolithic era, and b) they want six hundred loving dollars for the privilege! A CVT is what I would consider an upgrade, given the choice.

Automatics are always more expensive than manuals though (at least on regular cars)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I don't even want to know what the gently caress is going on under this thing...

It sure looks like a bunch of box tube and flat plate and some inbred fuckstick has been liberally applying a stick welder to things he shouldn't. Unfortunately this was posted to a facebook group that implies it's in the same state I live in, and this state sure isn't big enough for me and that truck to peacefully coexist in.

I'm imagining that thing riding down the road like it's on slinkies. There's so much awful there my brain won't even focus on it long enough to properly analyse.

I did however immediately notice that it has the same power-steering fluid cooler as my Celica. I assume that's what it does anyway, although some radial fins on the tube would make it a million times more affective.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just found out the car that makes my favorite noise and was honestly the nicest I've personally ridden in could be mine for $27k ignoring all the maintenance costs for a cheap expensive car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPOpgP9pEk

It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wasabi the J posted:

I just found out the car that makes my favorite noise and was honestly the nicest I've personally ridden in could be mine for $27k ignoring all the maintenance costs for a cheap expensive car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPOpgP9pEk

It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff.

Holy poo poo is the OEM exhaust the superior choice in this case. I assume that's what they changed.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

uncle_skin posted:

Well it's that time of the year again when my town gets overtaken by donks. My house is right between two of the places they gather so I can sit on my porch and watch the parade of ridiculousness go by. I'll try to get some photos for this thread. In the meantime here's a video from last year. The cars start about two minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYwVK0vKdU

I feel lucky to live near old people and hippies on my side of town.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Holy poo poo is the OEM exhaust the superior choice in this case. I assume that's what they changed.
From the video description:

quote:

Maserati Quattroporte exhaust with flaps....
"geöffnet" means they are open and
"geschlossen" means they are closed. enjoy!!!

First run was open and the second was closed.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Galler posted:

From the video description:

First run was open and the second was closed.

Well they should take the flaps out then :colbert:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

My best friend used to drive a grand am and his vents did this. I couldn't resist playing with it whenever the air was on. He'd always flip out at me but that just added to the hilarity. It's not gonna hurt your car dude, you drive a mid nineties grand am.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wasabi the J posted:

I had a similar thought when I was looking for a new car recently. There was an 08 Jag XF with ~60k miles listed for $20k that looked really tempting, who can resist a classy v8 luxo-barge, but the fabled Jag reliability and it being just out of warranty scared me away.

Instead I got a new Hyundai that's had a new problem every other week since I picked it up a month ago :suicide:

I may have angered the AI gods going for a sensible choice...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I just found out the car that makes my favorite noise and was honestly the nicest I've personally ridden in could be mine for $27k

When the crash first hit absolutely gorgeous examples were going for as low as $16k. I _ALMOST_ bought one but came to my senses.

(I should have bought one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It was spotted on Imgur: