Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

hopterque posted:

Well it sure is a weird feeling reading the Laird Barron short story collections and having them get closer and closer and closer to where I grew up. I just started The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All and the second story totally takes place on the Olympic Peninsula at Lake Crescent where I have been many, many times and have driven by at night in dense fog and swam in and skipped rocks across. It even mentions my hometown by name!

Man he's really good.

Would that be "The Redfield Girls"? I love that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PateraOctopus posted:

It's been about five or six months now since I read The Imago Sequence and I legitimately can't remember anything from a single one of the stories except the bit in the barn in "Hallucigenia." The stories all felt exactly the same. I really do not understand the love for this author.

Maybe you just don't like Barron? You can not like an author without having to conclude they are terrible. For example, I'm not really fond of Clive Barker, but I recognize that's more a matter of my personal tastes than any failing of his.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Gary the Llama posted:

Would that be "The Redfield Girls"? I love that story.

Yeah, it is. Reading through it right now (Lake Crescent owns and is gorgeous and also incredibly creepy and oppressive when there's thick fog, which is pretty frequent there).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Maybe you just don't like Barron? You can not like an author without having to conclude they are terrible. For example, I'm not really fond of Clive Barker, but I recognize that's more a matter of my personal tastes than any failing of his.

Clive Barker's work was relatively novel at one time. He was too influential for his own good, now his stuff is not only not that scary, it seems derivative.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PateraOctopus posted:

It's been about five or six months now since I read The Imago Sequence and I legitimately can't remember anything from a single one of the stories except the bit in the barn in "Hallucigenia." The stories all felt exactly the same. I really do not understand the love for this author.

There are certainly some major similarities between his work. He is fond of ultra-masculine, whisky swilling heavy smoking protagonists. Even the protagonist of The Croning, an erudite geologist, has a past as a bit of an adventurer and drinks like a fish. Despite that, I think there are enough variances to make each story interesting. More recently he has begun branching out a bit more - female protagonists, a sociopathic protagonist, that odd Lovecraft mythos story (which a lot of people didn't like but I thought was pretty good), the Ligotti story, and reaching back further the story written by an actual eldritch abomination and Proboscis, the latter of which which was quite strange and which I did not like much or understand at the time but which grew on me as I thought about it more. I get why people wouldn't like him, but I don't think his stories are as similar as you suggest.

Other horror writers show about as much stylistic homogeneity, I think. Lovecraft and Ligotti spring to mind as two authors who put their own stamp on every page they write and it is hard to mistake them as any other writer. Not that that in itself is an excuse - both of those writers are fairly flawed, in their own ways.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 25, 2014

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't think he's terrible, I just don't understand what people like about him. I've heard him praised for many different things that I have not actually perceived in his writing. He seems to be a very talented surrealist but that's not what I've heard him praised for, nor is it the genre in which his writing is marketed; as a horror writer his writing does nothing for me whatsoever.

Neurosis posted:

There are certainly some major similarities between his work. He is fond of ultra-masculine, whisky swilling heavy smoking protagonists. Even the protagonist of The Croning, an erudite geologist, has a past as a bit of an adventurer and drinks like a fish. Despite that, I think there are enough variances to make each story interesting. More recently he has begun branching out a bit more - female protagonists, a sociopathic protagonist, that odd Lovecraft mythos story (which a lot of people didn't like but I thought was pretty good), the Ligotti story, and reaching back further the story written by an actual eldritch abomination and Proboscis, the latter of which which was quite strange and which I did not like much or understand at the time but which grew on me as I thought about it more. I get why people wouldn't like him, but I don't think his stories are as similar as you suggest.

Other horror writers show about as much stylistic homogeneity, I think. Lovecraft and Ligotti spring to mind as two authors who put their own stamp on every page they write and it is hard to mistake them as any other writer. Not that that in itself is an excuse - both of those writers are fairly flawed, in their own ways.

It's not just stylistic homogeneity, though, it's subject matter--like, Lovecraft and Ligotti have their own very distinctive voices but they use them to tell distinct and memorably different stories, whereas to me most Barron stories seem to be about a bitter loner investigating something seemingly-normal and gradually having their perception of reality break down around them until they break through to some terrible and unexplicated understanding of *SOMETHING* as the story ends. Just about everything I've read of his seems to be a slightly different setting for that same series of events to happen in. I'm aware that I've read stories called "Proboscis" and "Bulldozer" and "Procession of the Black Sloth" but I couldn't tell you anything that happens in them. "Strappado" is the only story of his that really sticks out in my head and it doesn't follow that general formula--but I also didn't think it was terribly interesting, either. He's definitely not for me, and I don't really see what he's doing that puts him at the forefront of modern horror fiction where so many critics and readers have placed him. If he does something for you, great, but I don't get anything out of his writing. Maybe I'm missing something.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PateraOctopus posted:

"Strappado" is the only story of his that really sticks out in my head

Wow yeah. I disagree with you as I really enjoy Barron but there was just something about "Strappado" unlike any of his other stories that just stuck with me for several days...heck months now even that really terrifies me and leaves my stomach a little nauseous. Maybe it was sensation of utter degradation at the end, being dumped in and confined in that oil drum. Maybe it was something about all these European/Asian/American glitterati/neo-imperialists giving in like the sheep they were and walking into the slaughter of their own volition.

Maybe because I could see the same thing happening in Pakistan or someplace in Africa and being reported on CNN tomorrow. I don't know. He hit a deep primal nerve in me I didn't know I had with that story.

Van Iblis was such a good idea for a Mythos cult though.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 25, 2014

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Strappado was fairly odd. Again, one of those stories I like more in hindsight than I did at the time. I am a bit of a sci fi and fantasy geek and I like Barron's mythos building ones the most. Mysterium Tremendum, The Croning, Hallucigenia and The Light is the Darkness.

Several people on these boards have said they thought The Light is the Darkness is terrible. Clearly something is wrong with me, because I loved it.

That breakdown (investigation --> revelation) does describe a lot of his stories... I feel enough break the mould to keep it interesting, even if his bread and butter is what I like the most. Especially the more recent ones, even though I feel they're overall weaker.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess for me part of the problem is that Laird and Ligotti kinda do the same thing except Ligotti does it better. If you're not going to be better than Ligotti at the atmospheric thing then I'd rather you just write straightforward mythos stories.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess for me part of the problem is that Laird and Ligotti kinda do the same thing except Ligotti does it better. If you're not going to be better than Ligotti at the atmospheric thing then I'd rather you just write straightforward mythos stories.

If you can't be the best at something, don't even try.

That's a great philosophy for life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Procession of the Black Sloth was clearly intended to be a meta-story to cause the reader as much pain as possible trying to trudge through it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It really was pretty bad. I love Barron and thought it was tedious as hell.

Friendless
Oct 13, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

So it The King in Yellow actually worth reading? Reading through Amazon reviews, it seems like some of the stories therein are crap, but the Dover Mystery version seems like it cuts out all the lovely stories and adds some other ones from elsewhere in his career.

I wound up buying this version and found it pretty hit and miss overall. That said, "The Repairer of Reputations" is essential reading, and the good stories are quite good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If I were to get one Barron short story collection, which should I go for? Occultation, Imago Sequence, or The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

If you can't be the best at something, don't even try.

That's a great philosophy for life.

We are in the cosmic horror thread, 'don't even try' should be our motto.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I figured out what bothers me about your last few posts. You're not consistent.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think I actually prefer Laird Barron's more straightforward monster type stuff even if the other varieties are more well-written. This hallucinogenic dream logic style stuff really gets under my skin in an uncomfortable way, worse than Thomas Ligotti even.

TOOT BOOT posted:

You'd rather Barron stick to monster stories because he's both better and worse than Ligotti at essentially the same thing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Those parts are about a year apart. When that guy posted a page ago saying none of Barron's hallucinogenic stories made a lasting impression on him, I realized the same was true for me. I haven't read any Ligotti in 3-4 years but I can remember the basics of more of his stories now than the Laird Barron stories I read a year ago.

Sometimes first impressions change when you've had some time to think about it, I remember seeing Children of Men and some other movie in the same week in 2006. At the time I thought Children of Men was pretty mediocre and the other movie was great. A month or two later I realized I was still thinking about some of the imagery in Children of Men while I had stopped thinking about the other movie. At this point I can't even remember what the other movie was that I supposedly liked so much.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

If I were to get one Barron short story collection, which should I go for? Occultation, Imago Sequence, or The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All?

Imago Sequence and Occultation you can't go wrong with. Just don't read them back to back as he uses similar themes in both. The Beautiful Thing... is a step down in quality.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

Ornamented Death posted:

You'd rather Barron stick to monster stories because he's both better and worse than Ligotti at essentially the same thing.

Dude, not everybody likes Laird Barron. That's okay. Nobody is saying that you're wrong for liking him. Different tastes.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Glad this thread went into some Barron talk since I've recently started reading The Imago Sequence and am having a hard time getting interested in it. Note that I've just read the first two stories, but they were so dreadfully bland and predictable that I'm hesitant to continue. Only first impressions however, I'm aware of that. The first story, Old Virginia, was so straightforward and characters so ungripping that I kind of felt like I was reading an plot overview rather than a short story. It was a few days until I started again reading the next story and I found that I completely forgot what Old Virginia was about. Not a good sign. Shiva, Open Your Eye was better but still very lacking in the former half. The protagonist is an eternal avatar of a hateful, incomprehensible God, some sort of Nyarlathotep, and all he does is make people look at statues and disappear to the eternal voidbowel-dimension of Azathoth-Sothoth? Ok. Great. Now I'm on Procession of the Black Sloth, a story this thread seems to dread. Look forward to it! I'll give it and a few more stories an honest go.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Hallucigenia is the high point of The Imago Sequence. Read at least that before rendering judgment.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I find that Laird Barron is becoming a better writer as he goes along, so it's interesting to follow him just for that reason.

Friendless
Oct 13, 2013
I'm also just starting The Imago Sequence. Picked it up after it was recommended in the thread. It's definitely above the median for short horror fiction, but I'm two stories in and despite good elements it feels a little unpolished. I think my biggest problem is that it feels to me like he can't keep a firm hold on his narrators' voices. In Old Virginia I never felt like I was seeing things through the narrator's eyes, and his reactions to things rang false. In Shiva, Open Your Eye it was like the narrator kept switching between his two aspects (mortal manifestation of something eternal nearing the end of its life / the eternal thing itself). I never got the sense that I was listening to the former fumbling to understand the latter, which is the part of the story that really interested me.

Did anyone else get that, or is it just me? How do people feel about Barron's characterisation overall?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
This seems like the place to post about horror novels in general, so I'm sorry if any of the books I'm about to mention are not strictly "cosmic" horror.

Right now I'm reading Teatro Grotesca by Ligotti and Houdini Heart by Ki Longfellow. Anyone read the latter? I'm only 50 pages in but I'm enjoying it.

Also, I'm looking for some recommendations. I really like the Barker that I've read, Penpal by David something, Ligotti and Barron, and I really really enjoyed House of Leaves.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Check out The Cipher by Kathe Koja. It's one of those hauntingly creepy books that I despised at first for being so loving affected in its prose but something about it really stuck with me

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also, I'm looking for some recommendations.

Check out DarkFuse. They've published quite a lot in the last two years, and most of it is pretty good.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Thanks for the recs. I'm gonna check all of these out!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Also checkout Windeye by Brian Evenson, it's amazing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The news was only released a couple of days ago, but Michael Shea passed away last month. If you're a regular in this thread, chances are good you've read at least one story by him even if you don't recognize his name.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Fat Face" was pretty widely anthologized, if memory serves. RIP.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Anyone have an opinion on Simon Strantzas or Scott Nicolay? Barron is recommending them on his blog but he has steered me wrong before.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Simon Strantzas or Scott Nicolay? Barron is recommending them on his blog but he has steered me wrong before.

I'm a huge fan of Strantzas. His style is like Ligotti mixed with Aickman, its great.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Liking Strantzas. Not as overtly horror as other writers, but very solid prose and some creepy ideas.

Brandon Bell wrote a reply to The Conspiracy Against the Human Race: http://lovecraftzine.com/magazine/i...brandon-h-bell/

It's fairly well written but I'll have to think before I can reply. How much I agree with Ligotti varies depending on how lovely my life is at the time and how much I'm drinking.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Neurosis posted:

Liking Strantzas. Not as overtly horror as other writers, but very solid prose and some creepy ideas.

Brandon Bell wrote a reply to The Conspiracy Against the Human Race: http://lovecraftzine.com/magazine/i...brandon-h-bell/

It's fairly well written but I'll have to think before I can reply. How much I agree with Ligotti varies depending on how lovely my life is at the time and how much I'm drinking.

Yeah, I don't even see the worth in responding to TCATHR; Ligotti has publicized his personal demons over the years and even though TCATHR is non-fiction, I think it's best enjoyed as a companion piece to his fiction. A "how-to-Ligotti" manual, if you will.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm looking for more horror short stories. I really, really liked Windeye, by Evenson, and then moved on to Imago Sequence, which felt really lacking or unfocused after how brief and effective Evenson's work seemed. I liked Hallucigenia, but felt like it could have been about half as long and would have been much better. I really like old pulp horror, like Horror of the Heights, Novel of the White Powder, Irwin Cobb's Fishhead, stuff like that as well.

Any recommendations based on those preferences? Newer stuff mostly - I've got a big collection of late-19th and early 20th century pulp horror already.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm looking for more horror short stories. I really, really liked Windeye, by Evenson, and then moved on to Imago Sequence, which felt really lacking or unfocused after how brief and effective Evenson's work seemed. I liked Hallucigenia, but felt like it could have been about half as long and would have been much better. I really like old pulp horror, like Horror of the Heights, Novel of the White Powder, Irwin Cobb's Fishhead, stuff like that as well.

Any recommendations based on those preferences? Newer stuff mostly - I've got a big collection of late-19th and early 20th century pulp horror already.

You're probably looking for Jeff and Anne Vandermeer's The Weird, the most comprehensive anthology of 20th century weird fiction ever assembled, it's also the best place to start when looking for new authors to read, as anyone included there will be at the very least readable.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Friendless posted:

I'm also just starting The Imago Sequence. Picked it up after it was recommended in the thread. It's definitely above the median for short horror fiction, but I'm two stories in and despite good elements it feels a little unpolished. I think my biggest problem is that it feels to me like he can't keep a firm hold on his narrators' voices. In Old Virginia I never felt like I was seeing things through the narrator's eyes, and his reactions to things rang false. In Shiva, Open Your Eye it was like the narrator kept switching between his two aspects (mortal manifestation of something eternal nearing the end of its life / the eternal thing itself). I never got the sense that I was listening to the former fumbling to understand the latter, which is the part of the story that really interested me.

Did anyone else get that, or is it just me? How do people feel about Barron's characterisation overall?

I was pretty disappointed in this book overall. Outside of the characterization issues, Barron's writing was just good enough to let me figure out what he's shooting for with each story, but not good enough to really make me give a poo poo. The stories can be a bit scatterbrained at times, and I kept feeling the same sense of disappointment at the endings. The Imago Sequence, the story the book took its title from, was probably my favorite of the bunch but even it suffered from an ending that just sort of...happened.

I don't think I'll really dig through his other stuff at this point. I know he seems relatively popular around here, and he seems to have cool ideas, but he just doesn't tell the story well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

I don't think I'll really dig through his other stuff at this point. I know he seems relatively popular around here, and he seems to have cool ideas, but he just doesn't tell the story well.

I have never liked anything Laird Barron has written, he's kind of Steven Kingy and mid-70s to early 90s horror but without the redeeming aspects of either. A lot of dissolute men piss farting around for ages. And who finds witches scary anyway? After the Wickerman there's nothing you can do with them. There is very little that is compelling about his stuff at all.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
God drat Thomas Ligotti is depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

NickRoweFillea posted:

God drat Thomas Ligotti is depressing

Indeed he can be, along with a gently caress-ton of other adjectives. For me, he's up there with a list of writers I find truly effective in that they don't allow the reader to choose their emotion about the material; they (the authors) are consistent in making the reader feel a certain way as they probably felt while writing the words. Call it hyperbole, but I find Ligotti as talented as McCarthy, Helprin, Faulkner, et. al.