Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, it sucks to be a secondary character on this show. Worse than being a Red shirt on Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ha, whole mess of goats there

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Another awesome battle scene

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They use just enough shaky cam to convey the confusion and rush without losing a clear display of what's going on. Wish more people using shaky cam knew how to do that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I keep being afraid Floki will get hurt :ohdear:

I also keep expecting to see Rollo just rip someone's arm off and use it as a weapon :black101:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
heh get wreckt borg

Not really buying that random muppet #4 knocked Bjorn on his rear end though. Not sure I'd buy it if he got hit with an volkswagon.

f/e yeah stay on your feet Bjorn :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Was that Floki's mom?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So now what are they going to do for food over the winter?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
lol @ the girls running up to lagertha and ignoring Bjorn. That one blonde went close, but in the next shot she was just following lagertha.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm pretty sure that vision made me go :stare: for real.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Athelstan and ScaredWmomen
sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

e: nice fake swing there bjorn

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wonder how much of the characters little motions are ad libs, like Floki and the fire.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Vikings: Millions of dollars to sneak in some foot fetishism.

Edit:Athelstan has been tripping balls for a while now.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Enjoyed that scene, he is a viking

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I didn't think Vikings were monogamous so why wont lagertha get on board the three way :colbert:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Athelstan does seem a bit "impressionable." His first scene IIRC was thinking a storm was the Second Coming and the head priest had to tell him to stop being a spazz. Then the visions and seeing signs in the interim. Peyote would probably end him.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I didn't think Vikings were monogamous so why wont lagertha get on board the three way :colbert:

Vikings were monogamous enough that they had divorce laws, unlike most Western cultures at the time.

You gotta remember, vikings were big on pride, and no self respecting man or woman would've just shared their wife or husband. Polygamy would've been very rare.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Erghh posted:

Athelstan does seem a bit "impressionable." His first scene IIRC was thinking a storm was the Second Coming and the head priest had to tell him to stop being a spazz. Then the visions and seeing signs in the interim. Peyote would probably end him.

nah athel old boy has just been training to be a berserker

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Until he took the Host out of his mouth, I thought his vision was going to lead him to spearhead a missionary effort back in Viking territory, because of all the parallels he was drawing.

Edit: :stare: he is having a rough day :stare:

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 28, 2014

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

nah athel old boy has just been training to be a berserker

That would be awesome. Best character ride out there. Athelstan; the last viking.

whoa HEADS-UP monster under the bed

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Erghh posted:

That would be awesome. Best character ride out there. Athelstan; the last viking.

whoa HEADS-UP monster under the bed

Aslaugh's next child will be Ivar (Ivan?) the boneless

Athelstan will have a daughter with that scarred woman

a dynasty is born

e: loving lmao

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vikings - Season 2: Say Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 28, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wild Card, Bitches.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Ragnar's son deciding how many sheep to give for punishment is hilarious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Oh poo poo did Lagertha just make her final appearance? That felt strangely final.

Edit: On the other hand, I think the writers know Lagertha fans would be pissed if she was just out of the picture once Björn was reintroduced.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Next weeks looks even more awkward.

Poor Borg's wife

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

hypersleep posted:

Oh poo poo did Lagertha just make her final appearance? That felt strangely final.

Edit: On the other hand, I think the writers know Lagertha fans would be pissed if she was just out of the picture once Björn was reintroduced.

I sure hope not. Lagertha's still got to kill her husband, if we're going by the legends/whatever's on Wikipedia.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

I sure hope not. Lagertha's still got to kill her husband, if we're going by the legends/whatever's on Wikipedia.

She'll probably return home, he'll smack her or something, she'll kill him and bring their village to Ragnar's colonization.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Zero One posted:

Next weeks looks even more awkward.

Poor Borg's wife

I have to stop watching those. There's some broader context sure but a lot of the scenes are just :catstare: dropped like that.

Also that can't be the last of the shieldmaiden posse...it just can't. :ohdear:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Athelstan and ScaredWmomen
sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

e: nice fake swing there bjorn

King Ecbert was totally playing matchmaker during that little court session

Gyges posted:

Vikings: Millions of dollars to sneak in some foot fetishism.

I liked how the Shaman started wriggling his feet around while he was telling that story, I think the whole point of it was to get a footrub outta Ragnar.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So Athelstan is either going to become a completely crazy Christian zealot or go full blown Norse with possibly slightly less craziness?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

life is killing me posted:

Just be warned the books (trilogy) seem to have a slightly fantastic tinge to them, maybe a little moreso than Vikings. Also considering it's thought by many scholars that Ragnar from the Norse legend is a combination of any number of real Vikings who actually lived rather than a real dude in and of himself, though, you might have already assumed that it had a slightly mythological/fantasy tinge to it anyway. I wouldn't expect it to follow history too closely based on that, but it's a good read nonetheless with bases in some historical fact at least.

It's all good, I quite like my historical fiction to be fiction-ey. I'm in love with the idea that Vikings is based on sagas, and a possibly-invented dude (and features other characters rolled into real-life historical figures too), rather than real life. I hope we get to see some truly crazy poo poo :black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bug Hug posted:

It's all good, I quite like my historical fiction to be fiction-ey. I'm in love with the idea that Vikings is based on sagas, and a possibly-invented dude (and features other characters rolled into real-life historical figures too), rather than real life. I hope we get to see some truly crazy poo poo :black101:

:black101: should be renamed :ragnar:

The battle scenes in this show are something else. Also Lagertha... :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So when Lagertha's husband stupidly lays hands on her again and get killed for it, does Ragnar come and take over the dudes lands and install a new Earl?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Gyges posted:

So when Lagertha's husband stupidly lays hands on her again and get killed for it, does Ragnar come and take over the dudes lands and install a new Earl?

Maybe Lagertha becomes the first female Earl? :black101: She's popular and respected. Or maybe Bjorn gets a chance to play leader for awhile.

They're obviously staying rooted in history but veering off just enough to make it fun, so anything could happen.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Am I the only one who is more turned on when Lagertha is all battle-ready with that eyeliner and poo poo than when she is a pretty wifey-wife?

I bet shield-maidens would be dynamite in the sack. She could put that axe up to my neck while she...

Uh, anyway, it's pretty awesome how Rollo seems to already be acting like a berserker except without the hallucinogens. He fights like a wounded tiger on speed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Erghh posted:

Maybe Lagertha becomes the first female Earl? :black101: She's popular and respected. Or maybe Bjorn gets a chance to play leader for awhile.

They're obviously staying rooted in history but veering off just enough to make it fun, so anything could happen.

I was thinking more along the lines of Rollo becoming his Earl neighbor. Though I guess if they're colonizing the stupid English that's as good a place as any for Rollo to start his Viking Kingdom. William the Conqueror was just retaking his ancestral lands. :colbert:

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011
Did anyone else totally misinterpret the judge-Ecbert-small-claims-court scene? I initially thought the trial was to determine the punishment for the husband who had disfigured his wife, but it turned out that the best possible outcome for her was to not get PUBLICLY loving BRANDED. Were women really treated like this? Mad props to Ecbert for magnanimously not branding that slutty whore.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Gyges posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Rollo becoming his Earl neighbor. Though I guess if they're colonizing the stupid English that's as good a place as any for Rollo to start his Viking Kingdom. William the Conqueror was just retaking his ancestral lands. :colbert:

Chances are that Rollo is the same Rollo who conquered Normandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kampfbereit posted:

Did anyone else totally misinterpret the judge-Ecbert-small-claims-court scene? I initially thought the trial was to determine the punishment for the husband who had disfigured his wife, but it turned out that the best possible outcome for her was to not get PUBLICLY loving BRANDED. Were women really treated like this? Mad props to Ecbert for magnanimously not branding that slutty whore.

Marriage was a property transferal device for most of it's existence and the bible describes the proper marital relationship with the wife subservient to the husband. For a while the most progressive legal innovation in domestic affairs was limiting the width and size of a stick that a man was legally allowed to beat his wife with. Also adultery was an actual criminal infraction, which is what she was on trial for.

Ecbert essentially ruled that her husband had sufficiently punished her so as to negate the need of the government to brand her. Though it was pretty ballsy of her to go kissing Athelstan in public after being accused of adultery.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Chances are that Rollo is the same Rollo who conquered Normandy.

William the Conqueror was just the Duke of Normandy before he became King of England.

• Locked thread