Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Didn't the cliffyb guy have money invested in Oculus Rift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

KakerMix posted:

Likely made a fair bit of money with the acquisition.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

It's the very first sentence in the blog post linked on the last page.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371/riftbook

"First things first - I’ve been very open with the fact that I invested in Oculus at an early round. I stand to make a very sizable chunk of money from this acquisition."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

notZaar posted:

The Wii wasn't popular because the motion controls were a groundbreaking achievement (nearly seven years later we're all still playing with gamepads), but because it somehow latched onto an enormous wave of popularity. It was a fad toy.
Every console ever is a fad. Every console is a toy as well.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Ularg posted:

Is there a website that can help me find if some games I own (but don't have installed) have controller support?

Since big picture launched the steam store has had pretty good info on controller support in games. Obviously only works for games on steam, but that's a pretty large proportion.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah it seems you're right, don't know why I thought it was GFWL - I even played it a bunch!

Probably thinking of the 40k RTS, which would be amazing if it had good controller support.

AirRaid posted:

Since big picture launched the steam store has had pretty good info on controller support in games. Obviously only works for games on steam, but that's a pretty large proportion.

Okay, thank you. What does it mean when Big Picture has the half-controller symbol or "sorta controller support"? And I assume that sometimes controller support also doesn't mean aim-assist all the time? Sometimes I'm confused if the same game, like Blood Dragon, has aim assist on consoles.

That said, Titanfall has the best controller support I've ever seen. Same goes for Rogue Legacy.

I'm weird.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
I figured I'd ask this here because it doesn't seem worthy of it's own topic. It's a strange request, but lately I've been trying to find out what games let you watch/observe AI opponents play. I like having an engaging experience (i.e. actually playing the game), but sometimes I want to chill out and watch the mans fight. A lot of fighting games allow you to set up two AI dudes to beat each other up. Sports games generally support this too, but I'm more interested about the realm of strategy games. Though they wouldn't be as visually interesting to watch, I'm curious about turn-based strategy games that let you observe an AI-only match as well.

The Total War franchise has a lot of detail and effort placed into the unit animations. It's a shame to miss out on a lot of that whenever I'm playing multiplayer games and have to remain in the omnipotent god view. I don't remember if any of the Total War game actually let you observe a single battle between two AI opponents or not, though.

Supposedly you could observe AI games in the original Dawn of War. From what I read, it's not possible to do this in Dawn of War 2 or Company of Heroes, both which would be really interesting to me. I love the unit animations in Relic's later games.

I think you can hack around and get something working in Age of Empires 2. Same thing goes for Supreme Commander, though I haven't seen/tried anything with Supreme Commander 2 yet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Makky posted:

I figured I'd ask this here because it doesn't seem worthy of it's own topic. It's a strange request, but lately I've been trying to find out what games let you watch/observe AI opponents play. I like having an engaging experience (i.e. actually playing the game), but sometimes I want to chill out and watch the mans fight. A lot of fighting games allow you to set up two AI dudes to beat each other up. Sports games generally support this too, but I'm more interested about the realm of strategy games. Though they wouldn't be as visually interesting to watch, I'm curious about turn-based strategy games that let you observe an AI-only match as well.

Boy, do I have the thread for you. It's not even a PC game! Just recently Waluigi beat Dracula for the mid-division title, Scorpion beat Illidan in a massively hyped up match (because Illidan is really powerful and a current heel), Dr. Wily won the Royal Rumble, and Duke Nukem beat Guile in a grudge match over the Heart of America. Guile then cheapshotted Duke after the match and was subsequently frightened off by Ganon.

The latter was a scripted plot event but all the matches are real, in the sense they aren't pre-determined in their outcome.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
You can also play around in Garry's Mod. There's several Half Life 2 NPCs with their AI packed into the game. I'd spend hours setting up a ton of combine and armed resistance fighters and set them to ignore me so I could watch them go at each other.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ularg posted:

Probably thinking of the 40k RTS, which would be amazing if it had good controller support.

Okay, thank you. What does it mean when Big Picture has the half-controller symbol or "sorta controller support"? And I assume that sometimes controller support also doesn't mean aim-assist all the time? Sometimes I'm confused if the same game, like Blood Dragon, has aim assist on consoles.

That said, Titanfall has the best controller support I've ever seen. Same goes for Rogue Legacy.

I'm weird.

It means you have to use the mouse to get through a launcher like uPlay.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Makky posted:

I figured I'd ask this here because it doesn't seem worthy of it's own topic. It's a strange request, but lately I've been trying to find out what games let you watch/observe AI opponents play.

There's a game called Running with Rifles on Steam that can best be described as a World War 2 Planetside, from a top down perspective, and all the other players are A.I. (unless you play multiplayer of course). You play as a single soldier among many, most of the fighting is done between the A.I. and you are just there to tip the scales a bit.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Fallom posted:

It means you have to use the mouse to get through a launcher like uPlay.

Partly. It just means that the game has support but the menus might not be fully controllable with a pad. Front ends like uplay fall into that category as well, yes.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
They put some SERIOUS work into the AI for the new Starcraft 2 expansion, and surely you can set up comp v comp fights in it.

Along with
, the most truly amazing thing you're looking for is Saltybet. A computer runs 24/7 AI vs. AI fighting game matches from a huge roster of players (Mugen) on Twitch, with a betting system built in. It's super fun to watch and bet on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

They put some SERIOUS work into the AI for the new Starcraft 2 expansion, and surely you can set up comp v comp fights in it.

Along with

, the most truly amazing thing you're looking for is Saltybet. A computer runs 24/7 AI vs. AI fighting game matches from a huge roster of players (Mugen) on Twitch, with a betting system built in. It's super fun to watch and bet on.

While I did try to watch Salty Bet (and I wish the VGCW came with a funbucks betting system too so I could put it all on Duke) the plot scenes you can insert into shows with WWE '14 just adds a degree of involvement I couldn't get out of Salty Bet. It probably helps that I used to be a gigantic wrestling fan in the mid-late 90's and early 2000's so I can slip into the exact mindset needed to enjoy it. Watching Adam Jensen get continually exasperated with Gabe Newell over how he runs the VGCW is too good.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Also, Makky, you should totes pull up the GomEXP (or whatever it is now) youtube page and try out watching pro Starcraft II matches.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose I should clarify; I'm looking for something to toy around with on my own machine, where I can control the parameters. I'll definitely look into StarCraft II, though I tend to shy away from faster paced RTS games normally.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box A posted:

No like the Wii was. Nintendo tried to keep the success going with Wii fitness, but people dropped the Wii like an old coat after a year or two.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Makky posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose I should clarify; I'm looking for something to toy around with on my own machine, where I can control the parameters. I'll definitely look into StarCraft II, though I tend to shy away from faster paced RTS games normally.

I had quite a lot of fun designing custom maps in Crysis, pitting US soldiers against NK (both with tanks) and then having aliens appear and wreck everything. The AI is quite impressive, especially if you give them cover and what-not. Then you can just go invisible and watch the carnage. This the sort of thing you're after?

There was also this one indie game where you placed barracks and factories and such, and tried to escalate a conflict (without either side losing) until they nuked each other, and the AI would just fight and fight. Forget the name though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Cardboard Box A posted:

And computers are for work!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Z - be.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ularg posted:

And computers are for work!

Said every 12 year old in 1991 trying to convince their parents to get a PC for school work (re: sweet, sweet Lucasarts adventure games).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can anyone offer a recommendation for a reasonably priced keyboard/mouse that I can use for couch gaming? Wired or wireless. Not going to be a hardcore gamer but don't want something that I will be fighting with either. A nice balance of form and function for a somewhat awkward position since I will only have one arm rest to work with. What is the goon hive mind consensus for this use case?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Can anyone offer a recommendation for a reasonably priced keyboard/mouse that I can use for couch gaming? Wired or wireless. Not going to be a hardcore gamer but don't want something that I will be fighting with either. A nice balance of form and function for a somewhat awkward position since I will only have one arm rest to work with. What is the goon hive mind consensus for this use case?

Honestly? Get a controller or a small desk. Using a keyboard and mouse on a couch won't ever be comfortable for long.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Kibayasu posted:

Honestly? Get a controller or a small desk. Using a keyboard and mouse on a couch won't ever be comfortable for long.

Trackballs aren't bad on an armrest, if trackballs are your thing. I dunno about finding a good keyboard, though. The angle would be all wrong for any sort of long-term use.

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I've got my PC hooked up to the TV right now. You definitely need a controller. For games that just don't work with a controller, I've got an Ikea chair whose armrests are about the same height as a big book (15.8 x 8.9 x 2.3") on top of my coffee table. I slide that up and use the mouse on top of the book with a mousepad.

I use a G700 and a K750. Neither are really meant for use on a couch, but they're both excellent. The keyboard especially is light and thin, perfect for on top of a lap.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Maultaschen posted:

I've got my PC hooked up to the TV right now. You definitely need a controller. For games that just don't work with a controller, I've got an Ikea chair whose armrests are about the same height as a big book (15.8 x 8.9 x 2.3") on top of my coffee table. I slide that up and use the mouse on top of the book with a mousepad.

I use a G700 and a K750. Neither are really meant for use on a couch, but they're both excellent. The keyboard especially is light and thin, perfect for on top of a lap.

I do have a wired xbox controller, I should have mentioned that. This would be for games where it doesn't make sense. I do have a table behind my couch that I could sit at so if I went that route I'd just be able to use whatever. I am stupid for not thinking about that! Thanks, will check those out too!

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
You could get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396375783&sr=8-5 for that though. Razer and Belkin have similar gear available as well. Not wireless though, but a lot easier to balance than a full-sized keyboard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Baggins posted:

You could get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396375783&sr=8-5 for that though. Razer and Belkin have similar gear available as well. Not wireless though, but a lot easier to balance than a full-sized keyboard.

That may be a good option and not as expensive as the Razer option. I am also looking at these gaming keyboards. If I'm not going to MMO or otherwise hardcore game there really isn't much reason to go that route is it? Would getting one of the keypad deals hamstring me for any other style game or would this bad boy cover nearly every game out there? I suppose I could always grab a random USB keyboard I have in storage for those odd occasions. Considering this mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Adjustable-Weight-Tuning/dp/B00CJD4HD2/ref=pd_sim_pc_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=037D5RW7FE8F74GZ934N

Don't want to break the bank and don't need 20 configurable buttons on my mouse either.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

TraderStav posted:

That may be a good option and not as expensive as the Razer option. I am also looking at these gaming keyboards. If I'm not going to MMO or otherwise hardcore game there really isn't much reason to go that route is it? Would getting one of the keypad deals hamstring me for any other style game or would this bad boy cover nearly every game out there? I suppose I could always grab a random USB keyboard I have in storage for those odd occasions. Considering this mouse:

They're programmable to do whatever. I used mine for Photoshop/3DS Max/random apps more than I ever used it for games. The analog stick on the G13 is TERRIBLE though, so don't count on using it for much.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TraderStav posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Adjustable-Weight-Tuning/dp/B00CJD4HD2/ref=pd_sim_pc_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=037D5RW7FE8F74GZ934N

Don't want to break the bank and don't need 20 configurable buttons on my mouse either.

I have that mouse at home and I really like it, but the g400 is better for the price. The g400s is the exact same mouse as the g400 but with some tron-like paint and special surfaces on it, similar to the g500s. If you cna get it for cheap the g400 is way better, but I hear the g400 is discontinued so it might be hard to find for a worthwhile price. But the differences between the g400 and g500 are just the sensor and a few buttons, I have a g400 I use at work and a g500s I use at home and they feel almost exactly the same.

Mechanical/gaming keyboards are nice but a good mouse goes a lot farther than a really nice keyboard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Internet Friend posted:

They're programmable to do whatever. I used mine for Photoshop/3DS Max/random apps more than I ever used it for games. The analog stick on the G13 is TERRIBLE though, so don't count on using it for much.

Ah, that's good to know. Anyone have experience with the Belkin one?

Pig Benis Disciple posted:

I have that mouse at home and I really like it, but the g400 is better for the price. The g400s is the exact same mouse as the g400 but with some tron-like paint and special surfaces on it, similar to the g500s. If you cna get it for cheap the g400 is way better, but I hear the g400 is discontinued so it might be hard to find for a worthwhile price. But the differences between the g400 and g500 are just the sensor and a few buttons, I have a g400 I use at work and a g500s I use at home and they feel almost exactly the same.

Mechanical/gaming keyboards are nice but a good mouse goes a lot farther than a really nice keyboard.

Thanks for the feedback, will consider one of those!

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Makky posted:

I figured I'd ask this here because it doesn't seem worthy of it's own topic. It's a strange request, but lately I've been trying to find out what games let you watch/observe AI opponents play.

Supposedly you could observe AI games in the original Dawn of War. From what I read, it's not possible to do this in Dawn of War 2 or Company of Heroes, both which would be really interesting to me. I love the unit animations in Relic's later games.

This isn't technically what you're asking for since it's YouTube rather than in-game, but there's a channel I like to watch sometimes where a guy commentates high-level replays of Dawn of War 2 matches. It covers 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 battles, all using the Elite mod (community rebalanced version of the game with a new army and new units etc.) and has provided some really enjoyable battles to watch. He does a good job of explaining all the abilities and battles going on in the matches, and encodes all his videos at 1080p with the highest graphical settings in-game, so you can just fullscreen the videos and enjoy.

I think DOW2 is a game well-suited to spectating, and since my computer struggles to run the game on high settings and I'm terrible at it, it's nice to watch others have crazy battles in the game. Here's one match from the channel, if you were curious. There's probably some similarly good channels for Company of Heroes 2 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj93dzHy_Xc

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

TraderStav posted:

Ah, that's good to know. Anyone have experience with the Belkin one?

I've used a Belkin Nostromo N52 since it first came out and haven't used a regular keyboard for gaming since. Played everything from WoW to the Battlefield series and Chivalry on it. The only downside is they are old and the software looks it.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Sephardic Homo posted:

I would like to emphasize this and go a little further by saying that the G400 & G400s are the 'same' shape and size, with only minor weight differences from the MX518/MX500/MX510 as well. In addition, the MX518/G400/G400S/MX500/MX510 all shared the same size shell and are interchangeable with one another.

Each one of these have been my mouse of choice. As long as I have ~800dpi and good tracking I'm good to go. And for the record if it has more than 800 dpi I usually just reduce it anyway to get the same feel that I've been so used to all these years. This series of mouse for me is a "buy it for life" sort of thing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has there been a serious delay, like 5 seconds for Steam opening non-steam links in chat, lately? Both my roommate and I are getting serious delays before a tab opens regardless if there's already a browser window open or not.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes same here.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking I want to upgrade my video card soon. Are we anywhere near another launch cycle of GPUs? Would it be dumb not to wait a few weeks?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

notZaar posted:

I'm thinking I want to upgrade my video card soon. Are we anywhere near another launch cycle of GPUs? Would it be dumb not to wait a few weeks?

Next cycle is coming later this year when nVidia finally gets around to the 800-series Geforce cards which are using a new type of chipset, but that's more "a few months" than "a few weeks".

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Speaking of GPUs, what's the current crop of "pretty" games that'll show off GPUs at 1080p? Crysis 3, Skyrim, FarCry 3 and Battlefield 4 are the ones I can think of, but there's got to be more of them, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Baggins posted:

Speaking of GPUs, what's the current crop of "pretty" games that'll show off GPUs at 1080p? Crysis 3, Skyrim, FarCry 3 and Battlefield 4 are the ones I can think of, but there's got to be more of them, no?

I'd add Assassin's Creed 4 to that list. Some great water effects in that.

Also a "only heavily modded" caveat to Skyrim. Stock Skyrim isn't terribly impressive any more.

• Locked thread