Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is $15 the base game or the complete package? I didn't like the demo much but for that price it's very tempting.

See what sales can do?

Gettysburg is the base game, with the expansions being Pipe Creek, Antietam, Chancellorsville (this one can be played as a stand-alone) and Brandy Station.

The "150th Anniversary Collection" which contains all 5 is currently 80 USD. Brandy Station and Pipe Creek are 10 USD each, Antietam is 20 USD and Chancellorsville is 30 USD. I think it's really only Gettysburg that's sale-priced right now.

I'm definitely going to pick it up though - AFAIK these SoW games have a random/dynamic battle generator that should add a lot of replayability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Are you dropping out of the game or what? (I don't mind either way and I don't want reasons, I just don't like it when people disappear)

Yeah I'll drop out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about the american civil war but I see there's a Napoleonic mod for SOW. Anyone know if it's any good?

It's not a mod. http://matrixgames.com/news/1381/Scourge.of.War:.new.game.signed.and.Deal.of.the.Week

e: Also the $20, $20, $10 pricepoints for the expansions to SoW sound like they're also half off, there's no way those are that price normally. Can anyone confirm? It's sorely tempting if they're actually 50% off, and again I didn't really care for the demo all that much.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm probably going to take the plunge and get SoW. Why am I in this hobby if $15 is a plunge?

I hope they eventually make an Overland/Petersburg expansion. Why does the late war never get any love?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I've been hoping for a Chickamauga scenario for years, myself.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's not a mod. http://matrixgames.com/news/1381/Scourge.of.War:.new.game.signed.and.Deal.of.the.Week

e: Also the $20, $20, $10 pricepoints for the expansions to SoW sound like they're also half off, there's no way those are that price normally. Can anyone confirm? It's sorely tempting if they're actually 50% off, and again I didn't really care for the demo all that much.

They're on sale too but not half off.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

1stGear posted:

Yeah, no prob Unity of Command, just keep dumping rain across my entire frontline, that's not incredibly frustrating and makes me not want to finish Black Turn or anything.

Yeah gently caress those last missions

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

They're on sale too but not half off.

Where are you seeing those prices? I'm still getting full price on everything except Gettysburg.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dublish posted:

Where are you seeing those prices? I'm still getting full price on everything except Gettysburg.

That's from the Slitherine website, but Matrix should be identical

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's from the Slitherine website, but Matrix should be identical

That's weird. It turns out that if you buy any of the expansions separately, you pay full price for that one, though it offers the other expansions with the 20% discount.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alchenar posted:

Would be interested in some weekend SoW.

Same here!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I know it's a game, but there's a napoleonics war total conversion mod for it, was wondering if anyone's tried it out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Matrix in 'maths is hard :downs:' shock: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3578264

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

also they probably have to manually edit a thousand separate fields in five different spreadsheets to change the price on the bundle because :matrix: these guys are so loving incompetent.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I have now bought four games on sale (if you include both Command Ops). Nope sales don't work.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

also they probably have to manually edit a thousand separate fields in five different spreadsheets to change the price on the bundle because :matrix: these guys are so loving incompetent.

If only someone developed a machine that was able to make such changes automatically and compute the new prices. A Computer, if you want to call it that...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A programmable automatic calculation machine?

You sir are mad!

Mad, I say!

Mad!

Seriously what the hell, hire a DB guy to knock up a lovely interface for your junk over the weekend.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For gently caress's sake I hope they keep track of sales figures.

I have downloaded and played the SoW demo on two separate occasions in the past year and a half. Neither time have I been thoroughly convince to commit as I didn't super care for it. It was neat but I wasn't able to wade through all the nuances of it at the time (I have sent you eight loving couriers, why aren't you loving moving yet?) but I just dropped $60 on the base game and the three expansions on sale, but didn't get the one that is NOT on sale.

For gently caress's sake, PLEASE let them see that people who are gigantic loving idiots like myself will buy poo poo THEY DON'T WANT if there's a sale on!

Also I kind of wanted to invest more time into them anyway but don't mention that to Matrix.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For gently caress's sake I hope they keep track of sales figures.

I have downloaded and played the SoW demo on two separate occasions in the past year and a half. Neither time have I been thoroughly convince to commit as I didn't super care for it. It was neat but I wasn't able to wade through all the nuances of it at the time (I have sent you eight loving couriers, why aren't you loving moving yet?) but I just dropped $60 on the base game and the three expansions on sale, but didn't get the one that is NOT on sale.

For gently caress's sake, PLEASE let them see that people who are gigantic loving idiots like myself will buy poo poo THEY DON'T WANT if there's a sale on!

Also I kind of wanted to invest more time into them anyway but don't mention that to Matrix.

If they actually track this all they'll take from this is that demos don't work and they should stop doing them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The fact that these weekly sales are still happening I think clearly shows that even within the Matrix bubble they cause a revenue spike.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

The fact that these weekly sales are still happening I think clearly shows that even within the Matrix bubble they cause a revenue spike.

Even as someone who got drunk and bought WItE at full price sales get me. poo poo works.

edit: figured it out, need wonky graphics settings but it works.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 26, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Trip report: I'm going to bed and I'm at page 80 in the manual. I haven't fired the game up for a single second, just made sure it was updated. And yet I'm satisfied with my purchase. Maybe there's a grog in me after all...

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Am I not playing right, or do units in SoW frequently do whatever the gently caress they want?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
According to the manual and experience, YES! When they're engaged they will ignore most orders. Other orders given other times are subject to the AI's personality and interpretation.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

According to the manual and experience, YES! When they're engaged they will ignore most orders. Other orders given other times are subject to the AI's personality and interpretation.
The realistic ACW experience :v:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

That explains why I fiddle with lines and firing arcs and cover and I have random cavalry charges or fleeing out of cover to open hills.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Not listening to orders in battle kind of makes a bit of sense; if they're getting shot at they have more important things to pay attention to.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, Anyone up for SOW multiplayer session tomorrow? if so, what time would people be availible, can can make any time 6:00am-8:00pm GMT

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

How long does a game take to play? If tomorrow is Saturday then I may be able to in the afternoon EST.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

So, Anyone up for SOW multiplayer session tomorrow? if so, what time would people be availible, can can make any time 6:00am-8:00pm GMT

Yes I should be able to do that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Flare Path article on Red Thunder:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/28/the-flare-path-a-rumble-of-thunder/

Describes a scenario but doesn't actually talk about the game much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fuf posted:

Flare Path article on Red Thunder:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/28/the-flare-path-a-rumble-of-thunder/

Describes a scenario but doesn't actually talk about the game much.

RPS reviews never really talk about the game much, they talk about the experience of playing it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I only read RPS out of habit anymore. They've stopped having any quality content for the most part. :(

As for SoW MP, if I'm home and not doing anything I could probably hop in. I'll just have to see how/when/where this develops. I don't have plans for tomorrow but I never have plans when something happens anyway so I can't guarantee anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm usually awake 6:00 AM-9:00 AM GMT so if anything's happening then I can drop on. I've played like 1 game of SOW so far though (drat you Reaper of Souls) but I played quite a bit of Take Command before.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I only read RPS out of habit anymore. They've stopped having any quality content for the most part. :(

RPS and quartertothree are the only gaming news sites that I know of that covers grognard/strategy games that doesn't completely fellate the genre, but then quartertothree has Tom Chick so it's kind of a wash even then.

EDIT: Three Moves Ahead remains pretty good if you're into podcasts.
EDIT EDIT: I don't think they like Combat Mission very much though.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 28, 2014

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Three Moves Ahead remains pretty good if you're into podcasts.
EDIT EDIT: I don't think they like Combat Mission very much though.

I'm still unclear as to what CM has going for it over GTOS, especially if the new one is all Ostfront Lyfe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tatrakrad posted:

I'm still unclear as to what CM has going for it over GTOS, especially if the new one is all Ostfront Lyfe.

What thrilling gameplay!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tatrakrad posted:

I already have enough trouble managing anything larger than a rifle company in CM. The huge maps of GTOS/Achtung Panzer scared me off. I should probably give it another try though - have there been major changes/patches since they switched over to calling it Graviteam Tactics, or is my indie bundle copy not going to be compatible anyway?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2rhzNk_tM&t=515s

Ahahahaha what.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's just a different style of game. It's more towards RTS's that non-grogs can enjoy, while maintaining a ton of detail and "realism" that you wouldn't get otherwise. I suppose it's fair to think of it as the bastard child between Men of War: rear end Squad and Combat Mission. It's not better than both, just a good in-the-middle if you're looking for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So you're saying it's a shittier AirLand Battle. I'm fairly certain I bought Achtung Panzer for $1 and felt like I was ripped off.