Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

d0s posted:

I think I stumbled across the exact stick you're talking about here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281285168472

Sure wish it wasn't so expensive :(

They cost £13-15 when they were brand new and in circulation 20 years ago. Great stick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

d0s posted:

That's a really lovely way to deal with old tech. I remember when the schools here finally did away with Apple IIs and black and white Macs they first made a big "tower" out of it all in the largest mall in the county and used it as an advertisement for tech recycling/not filling landfills with that poo poo and then they donated it all to other districts or maybe even countries I forgot the specifics.

Back when I worked faculty hardware/software support for my college, they just chucked a shitload of old PC's and keyboards in the dumpster when they replaced them. I grabbed a pair of older split-keyboards, and I use both (one at home, one at work) to this day.

They said something about not being able to sell the old stuff, but I don't get why they couldn't find a place to donate it to.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Back when I worked faculty hardware/software support for my college, they just chucked a shitload of old PC's and keyboards in the dumpster when they replaced them. I grabbed a pair of older split-keyboards, and I use both (one at home, one at work) to this day.

They said something about not being able to sell the old stuff, but I don't get why they couldn't find a place to donate it to.

Yeah I used to work for a company that supplied and serviced point of sale systems and was forced to throw so much computer hardware into the general purpose dumpsters because recycling tech is expensive as hell at that level. Not even from a :qq:SAVE OUR OLD TECH:qq: standpoint it's a truly awful thing to do because almost nothing is worse for the environment than what's inside electronic components, not to mention it's illegal and shady as gently caress. I quit that place real soon.

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 24, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The problem with donations is you are basically foisting your crap off on someone else. It's hosed up. Rather than pay E-waste to get rid of things, companies just donate it and get a tax write off for more than the stuff is actually worth and basically take advantage of the donatee. Is that a word?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem with donations is you are basically foisting your crap off on someone else. It's hosed up. Rather than pay E-waste to get rid of things, companies just donate it and get a tax write off for more than the stuff is actually worth and basically take advantage of the donatee. Is that a word?

I get what you mean, but there've gotta be worse off schools that need functional monitors and poo poo. I know I'm a weirdo who chooses to use old split keyboards, but those could've been eventually sold/given away through other charitable means.

I get that the old Pentium II systems weren't gonna garner much interest in 2006 when this happened, but there is salvagable stuff in there. Hell, tell the EE majors about it so they have some sort of practice poo poo to solder without worrying about it. Anything's better than the dumpster.

EDIT: This was a state school, too. So I'm sure there's some tax write-off thing they could do, but it wouldn't necessarily be a "diabolical laughter upon foisting garbage upon the poors" situation.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A while back I posted that I known nothing about the Amiga demoscene, I've been slowly educating myself, here's some of my favorites so far!

Rink a Dink Redux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqiR-zT5OQ

Cat Computer Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPZO9Dg32E

Desert Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2353kXHac

Arte
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5HacABiXUE

Hardwired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LuaF1MMZl4

World of Commodore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byajsm8ZGNY

Budbrain Megademo II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC60zRjI2eA

I know there's so much more out there and this is just scratching the surface but I'm really slow about this poo poo, I refuse to actually watch one until I've seen it running on the real hardware, so I don't get "Spoiled" :spergin:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mike-o posted:

My elementary school had a whole lab full of IIe's that we used up until 1996 when they tore it down and rebuilt the school, then in middle school we were using macs. I was playing with a friend at the school during the summer just before they tore it down. A whole dumpster was full of all those IIe's, 5 1/4 floppies and everything they had in the lab. Still kicking myself for not grabbing one or ten :smith:

To this day I kick myself for not seeing if I could take one of my old elementary school's IIes on their hands. I learned a lot on those machines and they last forever, and I'd love to have played around with one a bit outside of such a controlled environment.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

the wizards beard posted:

Here's something cool. There are lot of low-cost floppy drive emulators on eBay that load disk images over USB, aimed at people maintaining industrial machinery, synthesizers and PCs. A hobbyist has written new firmware that adds read/write support for Amiga ADF images. Drives are only 30-40USD right now. I have one on order to try this out.

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

Finally got to try this.

Loading floppy images off USB:

All riiiight

Unfortunately I don't have a joystick/controller or a 512k expansion, so I'm a little limited as to what I can run right now.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
gently caress, now I want an Amiga.

Edit: I wonder if it would be possible to have him make one for the X68000?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Finally got to try this.

All riiiight

Unfortunately I don't have a joystick/controller or a 512k expansion, so I'm a little limited as to what I can run right now.

You almost certainly know this but any Sega Genesis/Master System pad will work if you have those lying around. A stick makes the games actually fun though ;)

I have a 512K expansion that the realtime clock battery vomited acid on, it still works but I am wary of it, if you know how to clean up stuff like that it could be perfect for you. It's Commodore A501, not a knockoff. I can sell it to you for a good price, shoot me a PM!

EDIT: drat that floppy emulator hack is slick, I almost want an A600 or something with one of those things just to hook up to my TV and use as an Amiga jukebox for couch playing, I get by fine with my A1200 and WHDLoad but that ADF menu looks perfect for laid back console style play.

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 27, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

You almost certainly know this but any Sega Genesis/Master System pad will work if you have those lying around. A stick makes the games actually fun though ;)

I have a 512K expansion that the realtime clock battery vomited acid on, it still works but I am wary of it, if you know how to clean up stuff like that it could be perfect for you. It's Commodore A501, not a knockoff. I can sell it to you for a good price, shoot me a PM!

Yeah, I'm going to drop into a local place and see what's cheap. A Sega pad (it'll be from a Megadrive, not a Genesis :arghfist:) would be fine but I'd like something that I could use on a C64 as well. I'll PM about that A501, thanks.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 27, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah, I'm going to drop into a local place and see what's cheap. A Sega pad (it'll be from a Megadrive, not a Genesis :arghfist:) would be fine but I'd like something that I could use on a C64 as well. I'll PM about that A501, thanks.

Master System pads won't screw up a C64, they lack the electronics that are in GenesMEGADRIVE pads

EDIT: Just spent half the night getting my A1200 talking to the internet, luckily I had a Prism II wireless card (Orinoco Silver) lying around. Sadly there is really not much you can do with an unexpanded A1200 on the modern internet. The ugliest, tiniest, most miserable half finished IRC client just barely squeaks by.

I followed this exact procedure to achieve this. A far cry from System 7's TCP/IP control panel :(

These things are greatloving fantastic game machines but I will never understand the masochists that use them for actual work. The user interface is demoralizing. It's kafkaesque. It's the OS equivalent of a North Korean apartment building.

EDIT2: for those playing along at home, Chatbox won't run unless you have a copy of button.gadget in :Libs, no I don't know why, yes I know that's not where it belongs. You can find button.gadget in Classes/Gadgets, remember to copy and not move

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 27, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

These things are greatloving fantastic game machines but I will never understand the masochists that use them for actual work. The user interface is demoralizing. It's kafkaesque. It's the OS equivalent of a North Korean apartment building.

d0s posted:

unexpanded A1200

Well there's your problem. Simply spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars on accelerator cards and you too can have a browsing system that rivals a Pentium.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Ah, happy* memories of using SnoopDOS to find out exactly which loving library was loving missing in order to get a loving JPEG viewer to.work.

*not happy

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Well there's your problem. Simply spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars on accelerator cards and you too can have a browsing system that rivals a Pentium 386. Plugged into an SDTV.

In fairness, there wasn't a lot of competition for WIMP systems at the time. In academia there was NeXT, in the corporate world there was Windows 3 or more commonly DOS. Macs never really got much market penetration in Europe the first time around.

The other alternative I came across was RISC OS. It was leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, but again, Archimedes' were rarely seen outside a schoolroom. Plus the hardware was insanely expensive. Then PCs got dirt cheap and ARM closed its doors, instead selling licenses to their fantastic ARM architecture. That was also years ahead of its time; I knew a few people with StrongARM-based RISC PCs. They were stupidly fast, but there was little useful software to take advantage of their power, and most spent the large majority of their time running Windows on their underpowered 486 daughterboards.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Finally got to try this.

I'm a big fan of this for the C64, similar concept, a little more refined perhaps:

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html

Lookit, so cute.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Red Warrior posted:

I'm a big fan of this for the C64, similar concept, a little more refined perhaps:

Lookit, so cute.

I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap sd2iec for a while. The gotek floppy emulator is only 1/3 the price though

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2014

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

d0s posted:

EDIT: Just spent half the night getting my A1200 talking to the internet, luckily I had a Prism II wireless card (Orinoco Silver) lying around. Sadly there is really not much you can do with an unexpanded A1200 on the modern internet. The ugliest, tiniest, most miserable half finished IRC client just barely squeaks by.

I say this as an old Amiga OS fanboy, before he realised that memory protection was a good thing: the fact that Aminet is still a thing, vaguely in active use in the Space Year 2014... well, it boggles the mind.

I think - don't trust your electronics to this - 3-button Megadrive pads were OK in the C64 and Amiga. I never had an issue, apart from them disabling half the keys on a C64 if you plugged them into port 1. It was the 6 button ones that were a problem.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Prenton posted:

I say this as an old Amiga OS fanboy, before he realised that memory protection was a good thing: the fact that Aminet is still a thing, vaguely in active use in the Space Year 2014... well, it boggles the mind.

I think - don't trust your electronics to this - 3-button Megadrive pads were OK in the C64 and Amiga. I never had an issue, apart from them disabling half the keys on a C64 if you plugged them into port 1. It was the 6 button ones that were a problem.

MD pads are cool in the Amiga but absolutely not cool to put in your C64. Those keys being disabled/other weirdness is the electronics in MD pads causing shorts. The Amiga is designed to handle this, the C64 is not.

Master system pads are like Atari sticks, they have no circuitry of their own and they are OK to use in C64s

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just discovered the Raspberry Pi can play Acorn Archimedes games natively in RiscOS!

From what I understand the Archimedes got a lot of the best ports of the Amiga/ST era, it's Lotus 2 looks great. Is anyone in this thread familiar with that system/know what good games are out there for it? I'm seriously debating a RBP setup now, I've wanted to mess with RiscOS for a while and this sounds like the perfect excuse.

Also, does anyone know if there are any commercial products that do something like what this guy did with his RBP?

EDIT: God drat, looking into the Archimedes the potential there was insane. Too bad it's low adoption rate prevented it from getting anything but (really good) Amiga/ST ports because it's exclusives would absolutely embarrass those systems, poo poo it embarrasses an x68k:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw1fnarunoA

That's just a one level demo of a game that was never made, presumably because there was nobody there to buy it :(

don't worry scorpius i will build a tiny archimedes and love u

EDIT2: god drat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AYVM6dRmk

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 28, 2014

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

d0s posted:

Is anyone in this thread familiar with that system/know what good games are out there for it?

Apparently, the Archimedes port of Elite is the definitive version.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

d0s posted:

I just discovered the Raspberry Pi can play Acorn Archimedes games natively in RiscOS!

That's pretty bonkers. They were super rare in Australia, my school cooperated with another that had Archimedes, all I remember them doing with them was some sort of desktop publishing, their IT teacher went on and on about how great they were and I remember rolling my eyes and laughing about it on the way back with my IT teacher. Who would have thought those chips would have gone on to what they did.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A friend was a huge fan of the Archi, but I didn't really know him that well until he had long got rid of it. The only game I remember is Zarch, which was remade as Virus for the Amiga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXypBxNGMo

edit: Here's a worse-quality video but with sounds that are correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw94qXPfg6Y

Gromit fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 28, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gromit posted:

A friend was a huge fan of the Archi, but I didn't really know him that well until he had long got rid of it. The only game I remember is Zarch, which was remade as Virus for the Amiga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXypBxNGMo

My god that runs at like 2FPS on my Amiga, and looks half as good. Imagine if this ended up being the popular computer game platform of that era and had tons of great exclusives? I am sad about games that ever existed

If anyone around the UK can get a line on an actual A3010/20 for me (or even a 3000 if that's all there is) please hit me up you will be compensated

EDIT: Cool, it seems a 1084 can be used with this system with a gender changer. This is seeming more and more possible... :retrogames:

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 28, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

If anyone around the UK can get a line on an actual A3010/20 for me (or even a 3000 if that's all there is) please hit me up you will be compensated

EDIT: Cool, it seems a 1084 can be used with this system with a gender changer. This is seeming more and more possible... :retrogames:

http://www.amibay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43 They usually sell for £100-150 when they turn up. Posting in the Wanted forum might turn one up quicker.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

http://www.amibay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43 They usually sell for £100-150 when they turn up. Posting in the Wanted forum might turn one up quicker.

Oh man I've always avoided that place because I've heard it's basically old hardware/software nirvana and I have poor self control. Ah, gently caress it I'm in.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Pretty sure I have that exact model in my parents attic, though I'm sure it'll have all sorts of poo poo growing on it by now.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well, I finally could resist the urge no longer (and it's been years, on and off), and so a C64 with a 1541 will be on its way to me shortly. Sans cables, of course, so that's the first order of business. I'll also need a monitor. I'm tempted to buy one of the actual Commodore monitors off of eBay, but good ones seem like they go for quite a bit... actually, no, scratch that. While composing this post, I just checked eBay again and found a 1702 in good shape for ~$60 USD. Not peanuts, and I'm sure I could have gotten a better price if I hunted around, but whatever: done and done. The 1702 comes with a monitor cable, but I'll need cables for the 1541 and a power supply.

This is completely for nostalgic purposes for me, as the C64 is one of the first systems I got to use on a regular basis in the home, rather than at school or in a lab.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

d0s posted:

A while back I posted that I known nothing about the Amiga demoscene, I've been slowly educating myself, here's some of my favorites so far!

I know there's so much more out there and this is just scratching the surface but I'm really slow about this poo poo, I refuse to actually watch one until I've seen it running on the real hardware, so I don't get "Spoiled" :spergin:
Just as long as you know that Future Crew's "2nd Reality" demo WAS the Demoscene for a couple of years, you are doing well.

As much as I generally thought he was supremely overrated, the opening minute of Purple Motion's tune from that demo (the bouncing geometric ball thing) probably did more to inspire Demoscene music for the next decade than any other piece of music.

As I mentioned before, I know all kinds of things about the Demoscene from the early to late 1990s ... on the PC/USA side of the equation, which is to say about the initial minority operating system, in the perpetual minority world region. Ha. It is always fun to look back at these once-legitimately-astounding technical marvels that now look like Baby's First 3D Graphics. The design and the music often still hold up though, at least.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Quarex posted:

Just as long as you know that Future Crew's "2nd Reality" demo WAS the Demoscene for a couple of years, you are doing well.

Oh yeah, that's a demo I've known about for a while, it must have been shocking when it was released!

So it turns out the Archimedes scene absolutely despises the idea of abandonware and aggressively harasses sites that try to distribute old games. They are obsessive about trying to secure distribution rights to everything, which makes it difficult for anyone who didn't already have a system and games back in the day to play some of the classics for it. The TOSEC set is woefully incomplete, and stuff that should be played and enjoyed by everyone is languishing with smug "preservationists" who back up people's games and just... let them sit on a hard disk somewhere until they find everyone involved with the production and make sure it's OK to release. I am almost positive a lot of this is motivated by their need to keep their own collections of legit games worth a lot of money.

That's not to say there aren't great Arch games out there, but it's just as likely to read about/see a video of something that looks absolutely awesome only to discover it's impossible to find.

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 29, 2014

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

d0s posted:

Oh yeah, that's a demo I've known about for a while, it must have been shocking when it was released!

So it turns out the Archimedes scene absolutely despises the idea of abandonware and aggressively harasses sites that try to distribute old games. They are obsessive about trying to secure distribution rights to everything, which makes it difficult for anyone who didn't already have a system and games back in the day to play some of the classics for it. The TOSEC set is woefully incomplete, and stuff that should be played and enjoyed by everyone is languishing with smug "preservationists" who back up people's games and just... let them sit on a hard disk somewhere until they find everyone involved with the production and make sure it's OK to release. I am almost positive a lot of this is motivated by their need to keep their own collections of legit games worth a lot of money.

That's not to say there aren't great Arch games out there, but it's just as likely to read about/see a video of something that looks absolutely awesome only to discover it's impossible to find.

By "preservationists", do you mean the SPS, or whatever they're calling themselves, guys? If so, you can likely find their releases with a bit of searching.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I've always liked Variform by Kewlers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehixtarhYRs

Ran like poo poo on my MX2 though, the big polygon scene just hammered it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

By "preservationists", do you mean the SPS, or whatever they're calling themselves, guys? If so, you can likely find their releases with a bit of searching.

Nah, those guys are Amiga only I think and yeah their stuff is actually findable, I don't think they do Arch stuff tho, and if they do no Arch emulators don't support the formats they use. I'm talking about JASPP, who are responsible for some cool things like ADFFS which lets raspberry pi play Archimedes game ADFs natively (except they'd prefer it if you only use ADFs they want you to use).

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 30, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Talking about Archimedes emulation, has anyone ever got the Windows version of ArcEm to work? I've gotten the ROMs needed but double clicking the icon does nothing (and it can't be a DEP exception either). Arculator did work for me but not ArcEm which is kind of weird.

And yes, ArcElite is the best Elite version. I'm poo poo at Elite though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zeether posted:

Talking about Archimedes emulation, has anyone ever got the Windows version of ArcEm to work? I've gotten the ROMs needed but double clicking the icon does nothing (and it can't be a DEP exception either). Arculator did work for me but not ArcEm which is kind of weird.

And yes, ArcElite is the best Elite version. I'm poo poo at Elite though.

ArcEm for windows is truly awful and the mouse does not work properly, but if you really want to use it name your rom "ROM" and stick it in ArcEm's working directory. Trust me just stick with Arculator, it's the only halfway decent Windows one.

EDIT: To be really honest emulation of Archimedes on non-ARM systems is so bad it's almost not worth the trouble. Some stuff plays great, Zarch, Pac-Mania, SWIV, Sensible Soccer are almost perfect, but most games I've found to be nearly unplayable, including most of the stuff that isn't just nicer versions of Amiga games. This is why I have a Raspberry Pi on the way from Adafruit, lots of games play natively on RISC OS Pi and the ones that don't have nearly perfect emulation on RISC OS ArcEm which is apparently much better than the Winsows version.

I also want to play with blinking lights in BBC BASIC.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 30, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Finally got to try this.

Red Warrior posted:

Lookit, so cute.

Out of curiosity, how exactly do these work? Unless I, you know, have rather misunderstood computers all these years :v: shouldn't C64s and/or Amigas not be capable of addressing all the memory in modern USB sticks or SDCards? Like obviously they're interfacing via the floppy connector and controller, but how are they getting around the address limit? Is there some wizardry involved that allows the computers to see the devices in question as a "collection" of discs or somesuch?

I don't use Amiga devices, being a dirty heathen Yank :v: so I'll never really get a chance to see these in person, and I'm curious about how they'd work.

You know what, while I'm posting in here, maybe the thread can tell me if I'm crazy or not. So my first love, as it were, was an IBM PS/1 that my folks got after they realized I was very interested in computers and that getting one would be both a huge educational advantage for me and also handy for my Dad, who would get use out of a machine of comparable strength to the one he had in his office (he worked for the World Bank's primary DC office at the time). I loved that machine to death, it gave me Kiloblaster and ZZT (oh ZZT!) and Wing Commander and what have you. Height of shareware, brave new frontiers, you all know what I'm talking about.

Here's where my confusion sets in: I am absolutely dead certain, beyond any shadow of doubt, that the computer featured 4MB of RAM, Windows 3.1, DOS 6.2, VGA capability, and most importantly, a 25mhz 486DX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PS/1

As you can see, the rest of the Internet seems to think I am out of my gourd for saying this machine exists. Most PS/1s loaded PCDOS, and while model 2155s loaded Windows and eventually became the Aptiva line, this machine was absolutely branded a PS/1 - it had the boot screen, the case design, et cetera, and I know it existed in 1992 at the latest - I used this machine extensively throughout elementary school, with the still-extant homework printouts and whatnot to prove it. But there doesn't seem to be records of a 25mhz 486DX model of the PS1 having been made - which is weirding me out, because I owned one for years! And I know it was a DX! An SX would've choked on some of the software I ran on that machine! And I looked at the spec sheet and BIOS returns and whatnot often enough to have the DX burned into my memory!

Did my family just manage to stumble upon some kind of limited production run model (which makes me regret our sale of the machine even more now)? Or is this 486DX PS/1 of my memories some kind of years-long delusion?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SpaceDrake posted:

Out of curiosity, how exactly do these work? Unless I, you know, have rather misunderstood computers all these years :v: shouldn't C64s and/or Amigas not be capable of addressing all the memory in modern USB sticks or SDCards? Like obviously they're interfacing via the floppy connector and controller, but how are they getting around the address limit? Is there some wizardry involved that allows the computers to see the devices in question as a "collection" of discs or somesuch?

Generally there's a little controller, FPGA or something, doing most of the work. The software loader sends and receives file instructions to the controller which then starts acting like a floppy and serving the image requested.

Fun little fact, the Commodore 1541 disk drive is actually basically a computer running CBM DOS on a 6502 processor that the C64 would talk to to get data. If you tell it to load a file then shut off the C64, the 1541 will just send the data down the wire anyway.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Generally there's a little controller, FPGA or something, doing most of the work. The software loader sends and receives file instructions to the controller which then starts acting like a floppy and serving the image requested.

Fun little fact, the Commodore 1541 disk drive is actually basically a computer running CBM DOS on a 6502 processor that the C64 would talk to to get data. If you tell it to load a file then shut off the C64, the 1541 will just send the data down the wire anyway.

This is all incorrect. There's a tiny rear end in a top hat who lives in the 1541, most of the time he'll give you the data you request without complaint but he gets a kick out of waiting until you clear your schedule and sit down to play a nice long game of Paradroid to claim there's nothing on the disk you're asking him to load. Of course later after you've given up and gone to play Playstation or something and decide to test the disk again before checking eBay for a replacement it loads perfectly and that's when you realize you got punked by the rear end in a top hat inside your 1541 again.

His retarded brother lives inside the Amiga 500's internal floppy drive and likes to insist there's no disk inserted while in the middle of loading from that very disk.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That tiny rear end in a top hat likes to make himself stupid by banging his head on the stopper constantly, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

When I was in third grade we had a program for the homeroom Apple II that let you design cars and test them in a wind tunnel, on a simulated track etc. It was kinda baby's first CAD, although focused specifically on cars. I was so into it my teacher offered to make me a copy, I told her I had an IBM and she said that it's OK, they give the schools both Apple and IBM versions or something. This was near the end of the school year and it was the last I ever heard about it, I guess she forgot or something :(

Periodically I tried to remember what this thing was called, searching for "Apple car design program", "DOS car building program" etc, etc. Never had much luck until a couple days ago when I came across this video. I found the abandonware and played it in DOSbox, and it was a total trip playing around with it again, although it wasn't exactly as I remember it because I was used to the Apple version... which I couldn't find any information about or screenshots of at all. I seem to remember it having more color than the DOS version and also just being "cooler" in that weird way Apple stuff used to seem as a kid with a boring 286 (this was before the PC became the default games machine).

I had almost given up trying to find an Apple version when I checked eBay as a last resort. If there was absolutely no information, videos, screenshots, etc of an Apple version there sure wouldn't be a copy just chillin on eBay right? If there was it would be expensive anyway but whatever, let's see... holy poo poo! http://www.ebay.com/itm/370987248519

It was the only one on eBay, I offered them half of what they were trying to sell it for and they almost immediately accepted. So I secured my weird car game and it's on it's way to me, but what the hell am I going to play it on? I do have that IIe from my flea market hunting days but that thing's shot and won't output video anymore, it's been sitting in a corner for years and I was about to make a local pickup ad on eBay or Craigslist for the entire lot of the Apple II stuff I kept from my "garbage" hoarding days:
  • Broken Apple IIe
  • Apple Color Composite monitor
  • Apple Monitor II (the green monochrome thing with the cool tilty screen)
  • Apple DuoDisk (no interface card for this sadly)
  • 2x Apple Disk IIs
  • Apple Disk II Interface Card
  • Apple IIe 80 column/64k Memory Expansion
  • Apple II Memory Expansion Card
  • Apple Mouse (no interface card)
  • Applied Engineering Timemaster II HO (battery vomited all over itself)
  • Apricorn Graphics Printer Interface
  • Kensington System Saver (combination cooling fan and surge protector)
I decided maybe I could just swap the mainboard of the IIe but a quick check at replacement prices scared the poo poo out of me. Apple stuff has gotten expensive. It's kinda funny how so many of these auctions have "Steve Jobs" in the title, as if there's people cruising for dead C.E.O memorabilia. The dude hated the II anyway didn't he? Whatever, finding a mainboard is out and I've got no electronics experience. Why not drag everything out and see if I can figure out what the problem is! After about two seconds I realized the composite video connector wasn't making contact with the metal... protrusion from the mainboard it was supposed to be touching. I bent the metal a tiny bit and now I have a perfectly working Apple setup :toot:

Sadly the only thing I can do with it is play this terrible RPG because the only other disk I have that works is the one for MousePaint and I don't have the interface card anymore. I can't find any of the system DOS disks I used to have either so what I can do with this machine right now is very, very limited. I can BASIC and play this RPG. One of the big disappointments of this whole thing is finding my Tubeway II disk is now shot. This was the only Apple game I had that I honestly truly liked (all I had was Tubeway, Zork I[also broken now] and this RPG, I wish whoever had this stuff before me had better taste). I can't find the paddles Tubeway required either :smith:

I really hope that Car Builder disk works when it gets here, it would be nice to have something fun to do with this awesome machine! Someone earlier in the thread posted a great looking game about being lost in the woods that I'm going to try to track down. I'm sorry for writing a book about my old computer.

EPILOUGE: Car Builder lives on as overpriced shovelware, buy several for your cash-strapped public school! Don't copy that floppy!! http://www.stickybear.com/science-skills/cbd.htm

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 1, 2014