Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
IRC, most likely. Head onto #fedora-devel, poke zodbot to figure out who owns the package, and then hound them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Dish/evol, are either of you going to the Summit this year? I would love to buy you both a beer since I've learned a whole lot from you guys in this thread. My company is paying for me to go this year so I'm pretty excited.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Red Hat Summit in a few weeks? Nope. There's actually a limited number of slots for RH employees, and my boss and a few others are already manning the Desktop Experience team tables.

That said, I am going to be around the area for the West Coast Summit. If you're going to be in the area day or two early, feel free to stop by.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cidrick posted:

Dish/evol, are either of you going to the Summit this year? I would love to buy you both a beer since I've learned a whole lot from you guys in this thread. My company is paying for me to go this year so I'm pretty excited.

I won't be at summit, at least.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Does anyone use a cache SSD with linux? I am running ubuntu and I have an extra SSD that I am looking to improve my system performance with. I was just wondering if it is viable or if it is a bad idea.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stealthgerbil posted:

Does anyone use a cache SSD with linux? I am running ubuntu and I have an extra SSD that I am looking to improve my system performance with. I was just wondering if it is viable or if it is a bad idea.

I haven't tried it myself, but there's some info on doing it:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/252140/how-do-i-install-and-use-flashcache-bcache-to-cache-hdd-to-ssd

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Am I missing something with iproute2? As best I know, if I had the following:
code:
172.21.0.0/16 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.21.1.9
172.21.200.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.21.200.254
shouldn't the second route take precedence for 172.21.200.100? I'm seeing it try (and fail) to take the first.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

scroogle nmaps posted:

Am I missing something with iproute2? As best I know, if I had the following:
code:
172.21.0.0/16 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.21.1.9
172.21.200.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.21.200.254
shouldn't the second route take precedence for 172.21.200.100? I'm seeing it try (and fail) to take the first.

Depending on the version, you read it top to bottom or bottom to top :o

F20:
$ ip route
default via 10.20.30.1 dev bridge0 proto static metric 1024
10.20.30.0/24 dev bridge0 proto kernel scope link src 10.20.30.3
192.168.122.0/24 dev virbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.122.1

RHEL6:
$ ip route
195.154.188.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 195.154.188.52
172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.42.1
default via 195.154.188.1 dev eth0

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Depending on the version, you read it top to bottom or bottom to top :o

F20:
$ ip route
default via 10.20.30.1 dev bridge0 proto static metric 1024
10.20.30.0/24 dev bridge0 proto kernel scope link src 10.20.30.3
192.168.122.0/24 dev virbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.122.1

RHEL6:
$ ip route
195.154.188.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 195.154.188.52
172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.42.1
default via 195.154.188.1 dev eth0

The order doesn't matter here. Routes are chosen from most specific to least if there's no known route. I assume the via eth1 is new?

ip route get 172.21.200.100
ip route flush cache
ip route get 172.21.200.100

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Shouldn't be (not my device, I only saw it starting today and I'm not sure when it was added).

Apparently it may be policy-based routing's fault.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
If some policy based routing is in place you'll have to check the individual routing table.

evol262 posted:

The order doesn't matter here. Routes are chosen from most specific to least if there's no known route.

I assumed he was just confused by the order of the ip route output. My brain still flinches when I see it the 'wrong' way.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

spoon0042 posted:

From a quick test it seems tar is smart enough to not have a problem with that. I get warning messages at least and it doesn't try to add the archive to itself.

This is more likely the problem, that UUID looks suspect afaik they're longer than that... and I don't know if vfat supports UUIDs either (well, searched a bit, seems that's right for vfat). What happens if you just try 'mount /mnt/USBstick' in a terminal?

e: I don't know how it's filling up but not showing anything. I assume something's showing up from 'mount' or 'df'?

If I 'mount /mnt/USBstick' it says "mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /mnt/USBstick. mount failed'

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

If I 'mount /mnt/USBstick' it says "mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /mnt/USBstick. mount failed'

Is your homedir >2gb compressed? Can you tar -czvf in the script and see where it breaks?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I have previous experience in linux and mucking around with a gui (gasp) text editors and stuff but only basic levels.

I want to kind of, reduce my dependence on windows, but I want it as easy as possible to deal with.

Things I want to be able to do:

Run a local server friends or roommate can ftp into so we can share music/movies/etc easily.

Run foobar, or an equivalent program that can have a servicable gui that doesn't take up lots of resources, auto syncs to last.fm, doesn't have replaygain, little to no slowdown with large (450gb+ music collections), etc

potentially multiple monitor support with nvidia or amd drivers

Streaming or recording video from some linux compatible games, potentially

I will still have windows installed on the same system but the goal is to only really go into windows when I have to for videogames and stuff.

Is this feasible in 2014?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I have previous experience in linux and mucking around with a gui (gasp) text editors and stuff but only basic levels.

I want to kind of, reduce my dependence on windows, but I want it as easy as possible to deal with.

Things I want to be able to do:

Run a local server friends or roommate can ftp into so we can share music/movies/etc easily.
Servers are pretty much Linux's bread and butter, so this won't be a problem.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Run foobar, or an equivalent program that can have a servicable gui that doesn't take up lots of resources, auto syncs to last.fm, doesn't have replaygain, little to no slowdown with large (450gb+ music collections), etc
Have a look at DeaDBeeF (http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/), it's relatively close to foobar2000, it's pretty quick and comes with a lot of plugins, among them a last.fm-plugin, though I haven't tried it. Not sure about the 450GB, but give it a try!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

potentially multiple monitor support with nvidia or amd drivers
This should work better than it does on Windows, actually.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Streaming or recording video from some linux compatible games, potentially
No idea about recording, sorry.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I will still have windows installed on the same system but the goal is to only really go into windows when I have to for videogames and stuff.

Is this feasible in 2014?
Have you considered running Linux first in something like VirtualBox from within Windows? That way you could see what works for you and what doesn't.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hollow Talk posted:

Quit trolling. :mad:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hollow Talk posted:

I want do do a one-word response of "lol", but...

This has definitely not been the case with many configurations I've tried, and AFAICT, is a widely-known issue with Linux.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Misogynist posted:

Quit trolling. :mad:

Thermopyle posted:

I want do do a one-word response of "lol", but...

This has definitely not been the case with many configurations I've tried, and AFAICT, is a widely-known issue with Linux.

I'm not even kidding, though. :saddowns: The proprietary Nvidia driver and XRandR work a lot better for me than the Nvidia Control Panel in Windows. Then again, I don't know what the state of HDMI etc are (since my laptop is really rather old), but I never had any problems on a laptop with an external monitor.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

I'm not even kidding, though. :saddowns: The proprietary Nvidia driver and XRandR work a lot better for me than the Nvidia Control Panel in Windows. Then again, I don't know what the state of HDMI etc are (since my laptop is really rather old), but I never had any problems on a laptop with an external monitor.
Don't get me wrong, there's definitely configurations where this works really well, but like everything else related to proprietary graphics technologies in Linux, it's a moving target and mileage varies tremendously by the complexity of your setup. As a trivial example, monitor rotation in a dual-head configuration is really simple on Windows, but you've got a good chance of not ever getting it working right on Linux with either the open-source or proprietary nVidia drivers.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It seems to be one of those frustrating things where it often feels as if we have taken big leaps backwards at times.
I think a bit over ten years ago if you had the right card. May have needed to be a particular Matrox chip IIRC. It would just work perfectly out of the box with basically zero configuring by the user. Certainly was easier than getting it to work in Windows at the time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess I mean like I will probably in the future set up something with 3 monitors to a higher end graphics card. While in linux I'd probably set them up beside each other.

Last time I used them, it was a pain in the rear end just figuring out how to install, which one to install, and all that stuff. It was more difficult than it should be, I felt.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Misogynist posted:

As a trivial example, monitor rotation in a dual-head configuration is really simple on Windows, but you've got a good chance of not ever getting it working right on Linux with either the open-source or proprietary nVidia drivers.

Monitor rotation:

code:
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --auto --rotate right
I have two DVI monitors on arms that can rotate and a then a third (TV) connected via HDMI. Switching between monitor layouts is literally faster then when I do it on Windows (granted, only because you have to go through a GUI). I even do it using the nouveau open source drivers, although the proprietary drivers worked fine when I used them too.

I think it's just that most folks don't know about xrandr. Which can probably be put down to being an accessibility or documentation problem. It's not really a "technical" problem.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Xik posted:

Monitor rotation:

code:
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --auto --rotate right
I have two DVI monitors on arms that can rotate and a then a third (TV) connected via HDMI. Switching between monitor layouts is literally faster then when I do it on Windows (granted, only because you have to go through a GUI). I even do it using the nouveau open source drivers, although the proprietary drivers worked fine when I used them too.

I think it's just that most folks don't know about xrandr. Which can probably be put down to being an accessibility or documentation problem. It's not really a "technical" problem.
Things may have really improved substantially in the last few years but:

I've been using Linux since 2001 when SuSE 7.3 came out. Please don't patronize me by telling me that "most folks don't know about xrandr" when the problem is actually that the command you posted does not produce a result that is correct and stable on a number of different hardware configurations. This assumes that the user's hardware even performs properly under the nouveau driver, which isn't a given for all users, especially those looking to play games or do other things that require 3D performance on par with the proprietary driver. The last time I checked, the proprietary driver had between 5-10x times the framerate of nouveau on Kepler cards in the general case.

Even in the best of cases, where the user has a hardware configuration fully supported by Nouveau, full understanding of how to operate the driver to produce the right result, and no performance problems, what are the chances of a three-monitor system working correctly? What if those three monitors are on two different video cards?

Multi-monitor in Linux is still really, really far from being a solved problem.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Misogynist posted:

I've been using Linux since 2001 when SuSE 7.3 came out. Please don't patronize me by telling me that "most folks don't know about xrandr" when the problem is actually that the command you posted does not produce a result that is correct and stable on a number of different hardware configurations.

There is really no need to get defensive. I was not trying to be patronizing and I have no idea of your background. SA doesn't offer the option to display neckbeard length next to avatars. Have you tried using xrandr recently to manage multiple monitors? Does it not work for you?

Misogynist posted:

This assumes that the user's hardware even performs properly under the nouveau driver, which isn't a given for all users, especially those looking to play games or do other things that require 3D performance on par with the proprietary driver. The last time I checked, the proprietary driver had between 5-10x times the framerate of nouveau on Kepler cards in the general case.

Yeah, sure, I didn't say anything about the performance of either driver? Only that I've tried both and had multi-monitor working with both the open source and proprietary driver. I switched to the free driver because I'd rather run Free software and I don't run games on Linux so don't need the 3D performance. If the proprietary driver is better for your use-case, use it, I'm not suggesting otherwise?

Misogynist posted:

Even in the best of cases, where the user has a hardware configuration fully supported by Nouveau, full understanding of how to operate the driver to produce the right result, and no performance problems, what are the chances of a three-monitor system working correctly? What if those three monitors are on two different video cards?

I don't really understand why you think someone is required to use Nouveau, or know intimate details about how the driver works. Driver performance within 3D applications and multi-monitor support are different issues?

Obviously, if you are running hardware that is not supported well by your driver, then having multiple monitors working on said hardware isn't really going to be an option is it? It's no different to Windows, you need working drivers in the first place before you can use tools to manage multiple monitors.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Xik posted:

Yeah, sure, I didn't say anything about the performance of either driver? Only that I've tried both and had multi-monitor working with both the open source and proprietary driver. I switched to the free driver because I'd rather run Free software and I don't run games on Linux so don't need the 3D performance. If the proprietary driver is better for your use-case, use it, I'm not suggesting otherwise?

I don't really understand why you think someone is required to use Nouveau, or know intimate details about how the driver works. Driver performance within 3D applications and multi-monitor support are different issues?
The proprietary driver has its own laundry list of issues, and historically most of them have been related to standards. When Xinerama was the de facto standard for managing multiple displays on the same X screen, nVidia half-assed their implementation. Now that XRandR is the standard, nVidia has a half-assed implementation of that too.

The particular hypothetical I gave before about having two monitors and rotating only one of them is an actual problem for the proprietary driver that I've hit before. It is, as far as I know, entirely impossible to have two monitors and rotate only one of them unless you run two completely separate X screens. It's a well-documented problem, which is why I thought you brought up nouveau earlier as though it's a solution. I mean, it is, for a lot of people, but the performance problems keep it from being a reasonable option for many.

Xik posted:

Obviously, if you are running hardware that is not supported well by your driver, then having multiple monitors working on said hardware isn't really going to be an option is it? It's no different to Windows, you need working drivers in the first place before you can use tools to manage multiple monitors.
The magical thing about the Linux graphics driver ecosystem is that you have certain features that are supported well by the open-source drivers, and different features that are supported well by the proprietary drivers. In many cases, you'll have to pick between the features that are more important to you, while you don't have to do that on certain other platforms.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just hope this poo poo gets easier with Wayland.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Misogynist posted:

The particular hypothetical I gave before about having two monitors and rotating only one of them is an actual problem for the proprietary driver that I've hit before. It is, as far as I know, entirely impossible to have two monitors and rotate only one of them unless you run two completely separate X screens. It's a well-documented problem, which is why I thought you brought up nouveau earlier as though it's a solution. I mean, it is, for a lot of people, but the performance problems keep it from being a reasonable option for many.

When did you try the proprietary NVIDIA drivers last? Is that rotating issue specific to a certain set of cards? I've literally had independent display rotation working on both proprietary and open source drivers. I believe it was about 3 or 4 months ago, I was using the NIVIDA blob and it worked out of the box with xrandr. The only difference I found was that the device names were offset by one compared to running nouveau. :iiam:

Misogynist posted:

The magical thing about the Linux graphics driver ecosystem is that you have certain features that are supported well by the open-source drivers, and different features that are supported well by the proprietary drivers. In many cases, you'll have to pick between the features that are more important to you, while you don't have to do that on certain other platforms.

Microsoft is the dominant player on the desktop by a massive margin and OS X supports a relatively tiny combination of hardware. I honestly think it's unrealistic to move to a platform which has market penetration in the few percentage range and expect the same level of driver support.

I probably should have appended "using multiple monitors works" with "as long as your hardware is already well supported by your chosen driver". I just figured it was unnecessary since if you try Linux and you're having issues getting even a single display working, then logic suggests getting multiple monitors to work probably isn't going to be achievable.

Maybe with Valve's Steambox thing and more exposure to cross-platform gaming, video card manufacturer's will start to care more. I'm not going to hold my breath though. By the time Linux becomes a real alternative for gaming, I'll probably be too old to care.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have two hopefully quick questions:

In Archlinux how do you set things for sysctl? I created a file at /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf with a few settings like "fs.inotify.max_user_watches=1048576" but everytime I boot the system I have to set it manually.

Second question, how does one change the warn/critical limits in munin for temperature? The warn threshold is set at 40 which is really low for my system since the disks dance around 38-40 depending on where I set the thermostat.

Edit: Third one! I noticed after I put the SSD in that occasionally my system fails to boot, I dug into it and found that one disk in my array has a partition marked as bootable. I know changing that flag via fdisk counts as modifying the partition table so what will mdadm do? Is it going to mark that disk as failed?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 31, 2014

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Misogynist posted:

Except, the reason I made my earlier statement is that I have never had a problem rotating one of my monitors while leaving the other in landscape using the proprietary drivers, so it's not like this is completely impossible for everybody. This has been a feature I've been using for years to do my work.

code:
sh-4.2$ xrandr --query
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 2490 x 1400, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-0 connected 1050x1400+1440+0 right (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x 306mm
   1400x1050      60.0*+   60.0  
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.0     60.0  
   800x600        75.0     60.3  
   640x480        75.0     72.8     60.0     59.9  
LVDS-0 connected primary 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
   1440x900       59.9*+
code:
sh-4.2$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  331.38  Wed Jan  8 19:32:30 PST 2014
GCC version:  gcc version 4.8.1 20130909 [gcc-4_8-branch revision 202388] (SUSE Linux)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hollow Talk posted:

Except, the reason I made my earlier statement is that I have never had a problem rotating one of my monitors while leaving the other in landscape using the proprietary drivers, so it's not like this is completely impossible for everybody. This has been a feature I've been using for years to do my work.

code:
sh-4.2$ xrandr --query
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 2490 x 1400, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-0 connected 1050x1400+1440+0 right (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x 306mm
   1400x1050      60.0*+   60.0  
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.0     60.0  
   800x600        75.0     60.3  
   640x480        75.0     72.8     60.0     59.9  
LVDS-0 connected primary 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
   1440x900       59.9*+
code:
sh-4.2$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  331.38  Wed Jan  8 19:32:30 PST 2014
GCC version:  gcc version 4.8.1 20130909 [gcc-4_8-branch revision 202388] (SUSE Linux)

Honestly, xrandr is still terrible. Attach 3-4 monitors and try to guess which HDMI-1 or DVI-I-2 is.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
OK, girls. You're BOTH pretty.

xrandr is a bit confusing, but i'll just be dumb and use something like arandr to do things in a gui. I'm still a newb with graphical linux, but been a linux guy otherwise for quite a while.

I've not had problems either. *shrug*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

I just hope this poo poo gets easier with Wayland.

It won't. Sorry :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Which should I use:

Ubuntu
Zorin OS
Elementary OS Luna

Maybe Tails just for shits and giggles?

I like the gui and simplicity of those three based on reviews and/or past experience with older versions.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Which should I use:

Ubuntu
Zorin OS
Elementary OS Luna

I like the gui and simplicity of those three based on reviews and/or past experience with older versions.

Of those three I've only ever heard of Ubuntu, so I'd say go with that. :v:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Which should I use:

Ubuntu
Zorin OS
Elementary OS Luna

I was using eOS daily on my laptop and it worked fairly well. There were a few random crashes that I sent bugs in on and for a new DE, I really liked it. I'd wait another month or two, there should be a new version then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

calandryll posted:

I was using eOS daily on my laptop and it worked fairly well. There were a few random crashes that I sent bugs in on and for a new DE, I really liked it. I'd wait another month or two, there should be a new version then.

Can I install Luna now, and when Isis comes out, upgrade?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can I install Luna now, and when Isis comes out, upgrade?

Should be able to, it's based on Ubuntu so if you are familiar there it shouldn't be a problem. I stopped using it because of a few problems. I've since switched to Gnome Ubuntu.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Which should I use:

Ubuntu
Zorin OS
Elementary OS Luna

Given the choice of just those three, I'd use Ubuntu and install Pantheon (the WM in eOS). I think this requires adding eOS's PPA though, I'm not sure what else that implies in order to access Pantheon.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I didn't know there was a distro called Luna, seems nice, been playing with it might reformat tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I didn't know there was a distro called Luna, seems nice, been playing with it might reformat tonight.

Linux in a nutshell.