Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

traslin posted:

My LGS does one friendly mulligan on FNM. I think the idea is that it is supposed to be a more casual night for newer players.

I would buy that if it wasn't for the legend rule thing that was apparently just how it was done at his old store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

traslin posted:

My LGS does one friendly mulligan on FNM. I think the idea is that it is supposed to be a more casual night for newer players.

I'm pretty sure they're not actually allowed to do that if it's sanctioned.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I've seen some people at my LGS declare a game a draw when they both need to mulligan and then start a new game with seven cards each. I don't know if this is technically a thing, if you have to report winning 2:1:1 or something like that, but at FNM I don't really think it should matter.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Olothreutes posted:

I've seen some people at my LGS declare a game a draw when they both need to mulligan and then start a new game with seven cards each. I don't know if this is technically a thing, if you have to report winning 2:1:1 or something like that, but at FNM I don't really think it should matter.

This is technically legal but isn't ever +EV so there's no reason to do it.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
So, to any of the judges in here, we just had something weird come up in EDH, and I thought I'd get your opinions. 4 player, an opponent plays Notion thief. I copy it with Phantasmal image. I've read the rulings on gatherer, which say that they nullify each others' effects, so, if I go to draw a card, they cancel each other, and I draw a card. If he goes to draw a card, they nullify, and he draws a card. What happens if someone other than us draws a card? FYI, clockwise order goes myself, other notion thief, other two players...so notion thief is to my left, other two players to my right.
The last I heard on trigger order, is that if a bunch of triggers are to happen at once from multiple players, they go on the stack in the order of active player, then the person to their right, etc. So, if the player to my right goes to draw a card, both triggers would happen, the player to my left would go on the stack, then mine would go on the stack. Mine would resolve first, I would go to draw a card, notion thieves would nullify, and I would draw a card. Then, my opponent's resolves, he would go to draw a card, notion thieves nullify, and he draws a card.
So, basically, any time player other than the two of us would draw a card, both of us draw a card instead. Is this right?

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Malgrin posted:

So, to any of the judges in here, we just had something weird come up in EDH, and I thought I'd get your opinions. 4 player, an opponent plays Notion thief. I copy it with Phantasmal image. I've read the rulings on gatherer, which say that they nullify each others' effects, so, if I go to draw a card, they cancel each other, and I draw a card. If he goes to draw a card, they nullify, and he draws a card. What happens if someone other than us draws a card? FYI, clockwise order goes myself, other notion thief, other two players...so notion thief is to my left, other two players to my right.
The last I heard on trigger order, is that if a bunch of triggers are to happen at once from multiple players, they go on the stack in the order of active player, then the person to their right, etc. So, if the player to my right goes to draw a card, both triggers would happen, the player to my left would go on the stack, then mine would go on the stack. Mine would resolve first, I would go to draw a card, notion thieves would nullify, and I would draw a card. Then, my opponent's resolves, he would go to draw a card, notion thieves nullify, and he draws a card.
So, basically, any time player other than the two of us would draw a card, both of us draw a card instead. Is this right?

Notion Thief's ability is not a trigger. It is a replacement effect. These do not use the stack.

If any player that does not control a Notion Thief draws a card in that situation, then there are two replacement effects trying to modify the card draw. The controlling player of the draw decides which replacement effect is used first and which is used second. So if a third player draws a card in while you have a Notion Thief and I also have a Notion Thief, that third player will choose to either apply your Notion Thief first or my Notion Thief first. If the third player chooses mine to be applied first, you draw the card. If they choose yours, I draw the card.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

End of Life Guy posted:

It's not impossible to map a box for it's rares, then bring those packs to draft with.

Most places I've drafted at let people bring their own packs, but they take your packs as part of the entry fee and randomly re-distribute them among the players.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

Most places I've drafted at let people bring their own packs, but they take your packs as part of the entry fee and randomly re-distribute them among the players.

I never open packs and I'm lucky enough to have a store owner that let's me pay entry using 4 boosters. He always opens the packs afterwards or gives them out as prizes after marking them to make a game out of what I was giving up on those packs. I'm sure if he didn't trust me it could be a serious problem, since me and my friend both now just return prize packs for credit and we have talked to each other about how it's awesome he let's us do it since it definitely isn't positive value for him and it's not like we'd stop playing if we couldn't do that.

On the other hand, he had opened a foil Voice of Resurgence and a Brimaz from my packs, and given a foil Brimaz pack to someone that was one of the ones I turned in.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I just found out that there's going to be a sealed tournament each day at PAX East where first place gets a foil Modern Masters set, and 2-4 place get a non-foil set.

Unfortunately, the format is going to be garbage. It's a "standard sealed" tournament, so you get a pack of each set in RTR block, one M14 pack, and one pack from Theros and Born of the gods.

Oh well, still gonna have to try to get into at least one.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Detroit goons- what's the name of the place in Garden City with the huge-rear end playing area? I went to a bunch of pre-releases there a decade ago when I was growing up in Ann Arbor. I think it might be Pandaemonium?

It is prereleases there were so uncomfortable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I am now the proud owner of 60 Chancellor of the Dross.

My plan is to head to a LGS pretending to be a casual player wanting to test his kitchen table deck. I will find the greasiest grognard who looks like he will throw the biggest fit, and I will lay down 7 dross.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008
Good idea, but I suspect the novelty will wear off quickly.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Literally The Worst posted:

Today I had a player who was confused that there wasn't a free mulligan rule at the store and also thought the legendary rule was just "One legendary creature in play at a time, period". When I asked him he said he had played sanctioned FNM as recently as Scars and that was how the store ran it. I have no idea what the gently caress.

I had someone new to the game try to mull to 7, believing the first one was free. She said that DotP actually follows that rule. Is that true? I have no experience with the game.

Tharizdun posted:

This is technically legal but isn't ever +EV so there's no reason to do it.

Isn't this a game-by-game determination? If you know your deck mulligans poorly (burn, aggro, etc), then surely a chance at another 7 is better?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

GonSmithe posted:

So I just found out that there's going to be a sealed tournament each day at PAX East where first place gets a foil Modern Masters set, and 2-4 place get a non-foil set.

Unfortunately, the format is going to be garbage. It's a "standard sealed" tournament, so you get a pack of each set in RTR block, one M14 pack, and one pack from Theros and Born of the gods.

It might not be worth your time. I did it last year (I think the tournament I entered the prize was a laptop) but so many people were playing in order to cut down to a top 4 the tournament lasted for 9 ROUNDS.

The format itself was fun enough, I ended up building GW splashing blue and red for Mercurial Chemister. I just didn't want to play it all day so I dropped after round 3.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boxman posted:

I had someone new to the game try to mull to 7, believing the first one was free. She said that DotP actually follows that rule. Is that true? I have no experience with the game.

Isn't this a game-by-game determination? If you know your deck mulligans poorly (burn, aggro, etc), then surely a chance at another 7 is better?

It's a matter of whether your deck mulligans more poorly than his. If you both agree to a redraw, then one of you messed up.

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Boxman posted:

True thing. DotP has a few rules differences from normal Magic to make it more streamlined for inexperienced players. "But it works that way on DotP" is an even worse justification than "But it works that way on MTGO," anyway.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Mortimer posted:

I am now the proud owner of 60 Chancellor of the Dross.

My plan is to head to a LGS pretending to be a casual player wanting to test his kitchen table deck. I will find the greasiest grognard who looks like he will throw the biggest fit, and I will lay down 7 dross.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I must be missing something...why are you allowed to run more than 4?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm not, I'd ask to test my casual deck because I haven't played magic in my life

and its a really dumb 20 dollar joke

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You're missing :thejoke:.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Mortimer posted:

I'm not, I'd ask to test my casual deck because I haven't played magic in my life

and its a really dumb 20 dollar joke

Oh in that case I'm all for it

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

GonSmithe posted:

Not sure exactly where you're seeing that. Per the TO's website, none of the standard sealed events pay out a foil Modern Masters set.
http://tjcollect.com/news/pax-east-magic-schedule

EDIT: Well that's odd, the OTHER link of their events has the payouts you're describing. I don't know what to believe any more! For example: http://tjcollect.com/event/pax-east-modern-masters-booster-draft-315

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 28, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So I borrowed three Voice for my FNM tonight. (playing selesnya goodstuff)

And I placed far worse than either of my previous FNMs - 17th, as opposed to 5th and 4th. :saddowns:

I'm guessing it was more my awful decision making about mulligans, but it's still made me hesitant to drop $90 on three pieces of wizard cardboard (as opposed to the MUD deck I am suddenly building).

Has anyone else had similar experiences with bomb rares/mythics falling flat?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ungulateman posted:

And I placed far worse than either of my previous FNMs - 17th, as opposed to 5th and 4th. :saddowns:

I'm guessing it was more my awful decision making about mulligans, but it's still made me hesitant to drop $90 on three pieces of wizard cardboard (as opposed to the MUD deck I am suddenly building).

If it makes you feel any better, Pod loves Voices?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

ungulateman posted:

I think that voices at $25 are a decent deal. They are eternal playable and from a set that was not opened widely. Luck/variance is a thing and non optimal mulligans plus facing the wrong decks can make a particular fnm run seem extra bad. I think that if you practice with the deck and it still runs poorly every night it could be a bad meta call or maybe just a deck that doesn't vibe with your juju.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kabanaw posted:

It might not be worth your time. I did it last year (I think the tournament I entered the prize was a laptop) but so many people were playing in order to cut down to a top 4 the tournament lasted for 9 ROUNDS.

The format itself was fun enough, I ended up building GW splashing blue and red for Mercurial Chemister. I just didn't want to play it all day so I dropped after round 3.

I have a pass for Friday and Saturday, and the event doesn't start until 3:30 anyway, so there's no way I'm not gonna enter it, even if it does take forever.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

PleasantDirge posted:

I think that voices at $25 are a decent deal. They are eternal playable and from a set that was not opened widely. Luck/variance is a thing and non optimal mulligans plus facing the wrong decks can make a particular fnm run seem extra bad. I think that if you practice with the deck and it still runs poorly every night it could be a bad meta call or maybe just a deck that doesn't vibe with your juju.

Do not agree. If you're not set on using Voice until October for Standard do not buy. It is barely eternal playable and you will be able to pick them up for $5 a pop after rotation.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

GonSmithe posted:

I have a pass for Friday and Saturday, and the event doesn't start until 3:30 anyway, so there's no way I'm not gonna enter it, even if it does take forever.

They've actually learned a bit from last year, so the biggest events they'll be running this year cap out at 64 players and 5 rounds, with no cut to top 4 or 8, so it shouldn't take all night.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

What a Judas posted:

Xanadu used to be THE place to play chill but competitive Magic. That's not really the case anymore, but the guy who owns it and the dudes behind the counter are cool folk.

The best place to play is probably Games and Stuff. Brewport is fine for a small store (mostly Legacy and Vintage), The Family Game Store has a very, very casual environment and can be great for a more relaxing night, and Squabbles, Dropzone, and Titan (and I may be forgetting some) are all reasonable places with no special reason to choose one over the other.
A little late to the party, but if you want some seriously chill kinda small-shop style FNM or random weekend stuff (2HG EDH tourney this weekend), check out Chesapeake Sports Cards in Crofton. It's mine and Deckit's regular haunt. The people there are great, lots of support and help for newer/younger players. Our FNMs usually run 12-24 people, so it's a pretty small gig, but everyone basically knows everyone. You'll see the couple people with T1 Standard decks, but then someone brings Biovisionary or Simic Chromanticore or other random poo poo. FNM is almost always standard, but tonight's is Modern and the first FNM with release of a new set is draft.

TL;DR - Check out Chesapeake Sports Cards in Crofton.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnacondaHL posted:

Do not agree. If you're not set on using Voice until October for Standard do not buy. It is barely eternal playable and you will be able to pick them up for $5 a pop after rotation.

Toxx yourself if you really believe that

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

revengeanceful posted:

They've actually learned a bit from last year, so the biggest events they'll be running this year cap out at 64 players and 5 rounds, with no cut to top 4 or 8, so it shouldn't take all night.

The only thing weird about that is you could go undefeated and still get 2nd, but yeah it sounds way better than not having a cap.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AnacondaHL posted:

What usually happens with foils of chase mythics at rotation? I want to pick up foils of Voice and an Archangel of Thune for EDH but I'm not in a rush. Voice is sitting at ~$70 right now and Archangel is sitting at ~$50. Will they stay close to that since they're fringe playable in Pod or will they tank just as hard? I just picked up a Sublime Archangel for $17, which from what I recall is well below what she was worth in standard even though I'm sure her price is propped up somewhat by the Angel Crowd.

Death Bot posted:

As someone who used to live in Ferndale, Eternal's probably gonna be your best bet. GG is indeed small as poo poo and TT is neat to go to but bad to stay at for very long. Eternal is right off of 696 anyways so it's only 5-10 minutes further than GG is and all of their stuff starts a bit later.

I would probably go to GG more if their prize support wasn't poo poo, but they tend to get 12-16 people for drafts and even when they do two pods of drafting they mash them together for play and only pay out to the top two. I had one month where between drafting and standard I placed third at every single FNM and didn't win a single thing :geno:

Eternal also does drafts on sundays if you want to try and make that work, and I live less than a mile away if you just wanna meet up for a beer some time or something :v:

haha I meant to say Guild of Blades instead of Gamer's Gauntlet, GG is super far away from me. Their prize support for EDH league is pretty poo poo so I'm not surprised. I just looked on Google Maps and Eternal Games is closer to me than RIW by a few miles, I might give them a try next week since I have to go to RIW tonight to pick up the Banisher Priest they owe me from taking down the draft last week. Sunday drafts might be a nice change of pace anyway, it'd be nice to have Friday nights back and goon meets are always a good time.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

I'll buy all of your Voices for $5 in October.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

I'll buy all of your Voices for $5 in October.

I'll buy all the ones he can't carry. I like the card :)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I don't regret trading off my voices for 60$ each especially since I can get them back for 25 a pop.

I only need two for my Kiki Pod and they can wait anyway. :)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm sure that Voice's price is being propped up by its inclusion in tier 2 standard decks and not by its place in a tier 1 modern deck.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Well I guess I will give a shout out to Matrix Cards and Games in Redding CA. Really clean place, the owner is a retired pro Wake boarder. They keep board games, war gams, and most all the popular card games in stock. They have 3 storefronts in a strip mall, each shop is dedicated to each of the different game types. They sell stuff on Ebay and tcg player. Cant give these guys enough love, they keep the place clean, they will hose people down with axe or febreeze if they smell and have pretty good FNM turnouts for such a small city ( 28 = 50 people ).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MTGO Championships are currently on

With no Audio. :buddy:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If you really want audio for some reason, the SCG Invitational is going as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Count Bleck posted:

Is it just me or is it completely absurd that two people are sitting feet from each other, playing Magic via a lovely internet client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Works on my machine.

toadee posted:

Is it just me or is it completely absurd that two people are sitting feet from each other, playing Magic via a lovely internet client?

It is but that's part of the charm.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 28, 2014

• Locked thread