Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

hmm multipsk can decode a whole bunch of digital modes, AND directly control an RTLSDR dongle. guess I'll give it a tr

ham_software_interface_design.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

hmm multipsk can decode a whole bunch of digital modes, AND directly control an RTLSDR dongle. guess I'll give it a tr

lol

dumb lil baofeng overload story from dis morning: had baofeng on, monitoring uni pd and the hospital, nothing going on. hear DMR bleeding thru hospital freq @ traffic light, turn left and go over a bridge and blammo cop w/ lights on and dude pulled over. i guess i have a quasi radar-detector in the city

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my baofeng still hasn't arrived after 1 month. :saddowns:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i got mine overnighted from amazon cause i wanted it so bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah spend the extra $5 and get em from a US prime distributor. otherwise you may never get it. shipping logistics on the chinese radios is flaaaaaaaaaky, it's worth the bucks to ensure you're buying one that is already in the states

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah spend the extra $5 and get em from a US prime distributor. otherwise you may never get it. shipping logistics on the chinese radios is flaaaaaaaaaky, it's worth the bucks to ensure you're buying one that is already in the states

Nah I'm not in the states anyway so it's a wash.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
just got the arrl handbook 2014 edition and their RFI guide at work, just leafing through the handbook and it seems like pretty much everything you'd want to know is in there, preliminarily highly recommended

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i was digging through the 2013 handbook and it is really good. i kind of want a dead tree version

when i was a kid i won a contest for a copy of the ARRL antenna book, this was probably the single most influential text i've read in the context of my career and life

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I wonder if there's a connection between having Tech Tomes as a child and posting in YOSPOS. my grandparents knew I liked computers so they bought me the 11th edition of Upgrading and Repairing PCs for christmas in 1999, when I was 7

I read the whole thing, and here I am

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

My library had a couple of old as poo poo books about ham radio from the 50s and 60s.

so I read those when I was a kid. there was no internet then :corsair:

when I finally figured out there was a local club and met a ham I was asking him questions about how conditional licensing worked and he laughed and asked me what I was reading and I showed him the old as poo poo books from the library. so he gave me a couple of newer books, code tapes and some CQ and 73 magazines.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I borrowed this book from our sleepy north carolina town's library so much that the librarian pulled me aside one day and gave it to me.

"nobody else has checked it out in twenty years. you seem to enjoy it a lot."

a good librarian

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
block level schematic of the 23cm txcvr is pretty much done now, i decided to build each block with a solder-pad for semi-rigid coax so i can test each individual filter, mixer, amp etc. without too much trouble

ended up using a PSA4-5403 for the first filter, then a 0-30 dB digitally stepped attenuator for a basic AGC (for FM it's only needed to prevent blocking and intermod), a avago/HP INA01286 MMIC amp, then a coarse band pass to get harmonics from the LNA, the mixer, a coarse BPF then out through the coax and to the (to be designed) discriminator board which will have a SAW filter, decided to change the discriminator to a MC3362 double conversion IC since it gives me a bit more latitude with the final filter BW (could put in a 3-4 kHz wide filter for DV reception for example, or even build it with a filter-selector, shifting the second LO could let me do auto FM centering and narrower steps)
some calculations indicated it'll have a noise floor of about 1 dB, and be able to discriminate signals all the way down to the theoretical limits of FM

for transmit there's just a coax input to the mixer and PA, still going to do direct FM on the first LO (86.85 MHz) at the remote board, some band-pass filtering to get mixer harmonics and a 2W PA made from a MGA-83563 preamp and a SPB-2026Z PA chip, then into the T/R IC switch

a helical band-pass filter will provide harmonic and image rejection, and the antenna-unit will be powered and controlled via a single cat5 cable, and two cheap coaxes for IF in/out

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
a quick word of warning regarding static buildup on antennas

antennas that don't have a DC short and that are placed in dry windy air can build up a hell of a static charge, normally this isn't a problem because your radio has some kind of DC bleeder resistor or short internally, but if you use an antenna switch they usually leave the unconnected inputs open, the capacitance of a coax can have a hell of a lot of energy and voltage in it. my old ham group had several PA stages blow in a kenwood because of a dipole antenna with no balun.

they solved this by installing a large value bleeder resistor across each pole, preventing buildup in the first place
another solution would be to modify the switch by adding some resistors

for the active preamp I will take a two-pronged approach to this, by using a special ultra-low capacitance ESD protection diode from TI and by using the same type of inductor i used for the bias-tee build to provide a DC short to prevent slow buildup
ESD events from touching the antenna (which can happen in my case) typically have frequency components in the hundreds of MHz (we tested it by rubbing against some chairs at work and picking it up on the scope) so a diode is needed to protect against them

using only the ESD diode would allow a voltage to build up to about 7V before clamping occurred, which could cause interference on windy days, because of this i feel that the DC-short + separate protection diode is the way to go

only downside is the diode is like 1x1mm, how the hell are you supposed to mount them...

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Things i learned from ham radio web forums

-it's safe to keep running windows XP connected to the internet indefinitely as long as you have a virus scanner

-windows 8 has left behind linux/android in the mobile space because it has a common interface for desktop and mobile (nm that windows only has like a 2% mobile market share)

-linux sucks because you sometimes have to install drivers and you never have to with windows

also, I wonder how many old farts complaining about linux because it's "hard to setup" will in the next breath try to castigate "appliance operators" and "no-coders" for being lazy/stupid

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

longview posted:

only downside is the diode is like 1x1mm, how the hell are you supposed to mount them...

what's the package type?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
http://www.ti.com/product/tpd1e05u06

2X2SON, apparently

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i was going to offer suggestions but the ti website has this neat feature where it crashes chrome for me so lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gently caress i have to pay tax on my baofeng and the administrative costs are like 3x the actual tax

gently caress the dutch poastal system

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
Oh, no sweat. Just SMT place it.

You might have to use a bit of solder paste on the pads then use a hot air reflow gun to heat the component pads and melt the solder.

Failing that, you might be able to dead bug the part and just jumper it to some through holes. Should be fine for just dissipating static charges unless you expect some huge current to hit it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

update: their site also crashes ie.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

another update for u: firefox managed to get the pdf of the layout. easy solution is gonna be to deadbug it. gently caress doing no-lead parts by hand.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

i was going to offer suggestions but the ti website has this neat feature where it crashes chrome for me so lol

worksforme

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i do use scriptsafe so ymmv

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

same

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
I should take pictures of the process our test repair operators use to replace ceramic filters. Those things are a nightmare.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
little bit of 17 and 12 meters today, just using a tuner on the Windom

got W1AW out of Vermont, woop

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i've fallen into it and am now researching what the best way is to send data over gigabit ethernet from a pair of RTLSDRs

if I go through with this I will build a Box with a single-board computer, USB/PoE/battery powered power supply, dual LNAs, dual RTLSDR dongles, and a pair of jacks on the top for whip antennas (or one jack and LNA and a splitter)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gnuradio (lol) will Fart data over tcp or udp out of the box

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the raspberry pi only has 100baseT tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like raspberry poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i've fallen into it and am now researching what the best way is to send data over gigabit ethernet from a pair of RTLSDRs

use rtl_tcp

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

if I go through with this I will build a Box with a single-board computer, USB/PoE/battery powered power supply, dual LNAs, dual RTLSDR dongles, and a pair of jacks on the top for whip antennas (or one jack and LNA and a splitter)

integrated I/Q demodulator chip (linear), ADC (linear), FPGA, unless you want to to be easy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

in other news i finally got my baofeng. :woop:

looking forward to mess with local mall cops

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
got my MMICs so gonna try to build a first prototype of the active preamp next week, still waiting on the chassis and the final connectors but should be able to test the circuit and the ESD protection

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

spankmeister posted:

in other news i finally got my baofeng. :woop:

looking forward to mess with local mall cops

congrats, was it the UV82 you bought?

not sure if it's been brought up but CHIRP is the way to go for programming pretty much all ham radios, the UI is very open source but after a month or two it almost starts to make sense :getin:

i like to pre-program all the repeater channels with appropriate subtones (most repeaters here are still 1750 based), a few typical talk-channels like 145.550, and a typical scan rotation with maritime channels and other frequencies of interest

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

congrats, was it the UV82 you bought?

not sure if it's been brought up but CHIRP is the way to go for programming pretty much all ham radios, the UI is very open source but after a month or two it almost starts to make sense :getin:

i like to pre-program all the repeater channels with appropriate subtones (most repeaters here are still 1750 based), a few typical talk-channels like 145.550, and a typical scan rotation with maritime channels and other frequencies of interest

UV-5RE+

i ordered a programming cable from china but it hasn't arrived yet

luckily i have years of experience with bad ui design so programming it from the radio itself is a hassle but doable

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my intent is that it still be portable. i guess I might as well use a USB hub or pair of cables instead of dealing with ethernets

longview posted:

integrated I/Q demodulator chip (linear), ADC (linear), FPGA, unless you want to to be easy

easy is good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

my intent is that it still be portable. i guess I might as well use a USB hub or pair of cables instead of dealing with ethernets

idgi becuase you say

atomicthumbs posted:

and then you say you don't want to use ethernet?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

By the way here's some audio clips of ham guys talking to austronauts aboard mir space station back in 95 or so:

http://www.gadgeteer.us/CLIPS.HTM

trigger warning: realaudio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

the latest TempleOS beta.

• Locked thread