Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why dont they just cover every date since humans came along? That way they can check in bofies found in a mor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Everyone should just use Julian Date for everything
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just use negative time duh

Forget this Jesus stuff, let's use the birth of our most "meh" president as our epoch.

"America's independence was declared on 4 July, 14 BJT" has a nice ring to it.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

A ticket came in today regarding inability to connect to the corporate wireless network...

A colleague fiddled with the laptop for a bit and ended up having the guy connect via ethernet because he needed to do things.

So later this afternoon I grabbed a couple of laptops off the shelf to configure to send out to a remote site.

I noticed that they couldn't get connected via wireless either.

Upon closer inspection I see that they cannot authenticate to the network.

Hmm.

Oh.

A couple of days ago our boss shut down the Cisco WCS server which also happened to be the RADIUS server responsible for authenticating connections to the corporate wireless network.

:suicide:

So tomorrow after I get done at the dentist I get to reconfigure the controller to point to a new RADIUS server. Yay!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Re. datechat:

We have a legacy internal system which represents dates as a floating point number. Just gonna leave that hanging there for you to appreciate.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Arishtat posted:

A couple of days ago our boss shut down the Cisco WCS server which also happened to be the RADIUS server responsible for authenticating connections to the corporate wireless network.

This is what I'm constantly terrified of. "Oh, this server has x, y, and z roles, they're all migrated, we can get rid of it." except there was l, m, and q that were never documented.

(sfwarlock) as far as i can tell it ain't doing poo poo anymore since (redacted) is now hitting $OTHER_SERVER
(sfwarlock) but given this environment, there's probably some undocumented skunkworks black ops production-critical process on it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Re. datechat:

We have a legacy internal system which represents dates as a floating point number. Just gonna leave that hanging there for you to appreciate.

There's a joke about precision in here somewhere.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

This is what I'm constantly terrified of. "Oh, this server has x, y, and z roles, they're all migrated, we can get rid of it." except there was l, m, and q that were never documented.

(sfwarlock) as far as i can tell it ain't doing poo poo anymore since (redacted) is now hitting $OTHER_SERVER
(sfwarlock) but given this environment, there's probably some undocumented skunkworks black ops production-critical process on it.

Isn't that why you power it down and wait for a week or two before completely decommissioning stuff?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

That's why every place I've ever worked included a "Simply shutdown for 1 month before physical removal" step in every asset retirement process.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
After playing catch-up on the thread for the last week; blackswordca lives in my city and I'm currently looking for work. It's almost enough to make me cry myself to sleep in terror :cry:

In other news I will seriously take you for beers blacksword or donate you some liquor or something. Dear god.

edit for content:
Currently fighting with an ubuntu server that refuses to get out to the web. It can ping just fine, can resolve DNS just fine, but will not get over TCP or anything. Currently attempting to remove the SVI for the vlan (which houses only this server and one other management machine) and use the internal interface of the firewall as the gateway. Essentially just turning the switch into a dumb forwarder. This after fighting with WSUS all morning.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 27, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Install Windows posted:

MUMPS was designed for use in a hospital environment, there was currently at least one guy still alive who was over 120 years old, so the start date should be set for before he was born because negative time values are icky or something and the designer wanted the oldest guy alive to be able to be admitted to the hospital's systems with his true age.

Then the designer decided "why not add on a few more years".

I guess I don't understand computer dating theory.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

I guess I don't understand computer dating theory.

MUMPS is considered a canonical example of "how not to do it" for most values of "it". Think of it as COBOL's hard-living cousin.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Got it fixed. There was a redundancy mismatch between the firewall and HSRP. Seems this came about as a design failure from a few months back that got overlooked. Time to go home and play videogames all night :yayclod:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

nexxai posted:

That's why every place I've ever worked included a "Simply shutdown for 1 month before physical removal" step in every asset retirement process.

But does the process run quarterly? Or yearly? Maybe something backs up to it and will silently fail...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

sfwarlock posted:

But does the process run quarterly? Or yearly? Maybe something backs up to it and will silently fail...

I'd say that if you have a system that you know backing itself up somewhere, you should know where it's backing up to as well.

On a more realistic note, there's only so long you can hang onto old hardware before it either gets trashed or repurposed. "But someone might come back in a year and complain" doesn't really fly on most bosses' radars when the Marketing department needs a new FTP server and there's nothing left in the budget because you blew it all on iPads.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Three tickets came in.

- Please confirm the IPS has been updated to prevent this 0-day exploit with no patch that was released 3 hours ago.

- Please confirm you have applied an update to make sure malware cannot be executed. I am not providing any actual detail, just the fact that there is some malware somewhere.

- Make the IPS drop connections to our webseals so the poorly configured POSes don't maintain nonactive connections and crash the whole system again.

Hmm let's see. No, no, this is not a thing that an IPS can do. Job well done Rend!

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010
So I found out today that a couple of our production servers crashed for some unknown reason a few days ago. We were not notified by our server monitoring software, either. Turns out that our monitoring software requires our application servers to be running in order to notify us when they crash. :downs:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Not really a ticket, just a really scummy email from Cisco/Meraki.

I did the Meraki "free AP for watching a sales presentation and talking to a rep" today. I even stuck around and listened to the whole thing even though it was basically someone reading the website and demonstrating it. Before I could even call the rep afterward, he emailed me to say "sorry, I see here that you didn't show up. If you want to sign up for one in the future let me know." I replied that I was there (and could prove it since I asked a question and took a screenshot of the reply), and of course he's no longer answering.

Aside from an obvious ploy to avoid having to send the actual AP because they probably got more people attending than they expected, I'm not sure what to make of it. I know most companies are lovely on a regular basis, but what the gently caress?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sonic Dude posted:

I did the Meraki "free AP for watching a sales presentation and talking to a rep" today. I even stuck around and listened to the whole thing even though it was basically someone reading the website and demonstrating it. Before I could even call the rep afterward, he emailed me to say "sorry, I see here that you didn't show up. If you want to sign up for one in the future let me know." I replied that I was there (and could prove it since I asked a question and took a screenshot of the reply), and of course he's no longer answering.

Aside from an obvious ploy to avoid having to send the actual AP because they probably got more people attending than they expected, I'm not sure what to make of it. I know most companies are lovely on a regular basis, but what the gently caress?

That's weird. Getting my AP was painless. A simple confirmation of my shipping address over the phone. In fact like 6 months later they sent a follow up e-mail asking if I had any questions about the webinar and please confirm my address for (another) free AP. I didn't take the second AP, but they didn't seem scummy at all. In fact trying to give them away basically.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
ehh derp

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 28, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sonic Dude posted:

Tweet this at them, watch their marketers get into a tizzy. Your AP will be overnighted.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Volmarias posted:

You're getting 5% of the credit you're due. It might work well now, but if it ramps up and you need help, it might be awkward to ask for more staff when you only do 1/20 the industry standard workload according to your metrics. Tickets will also help you analyze large scale events better than "hey, anyone else seem to be getting a lot of calls about FooMunger throwing errors?"

Always make tickets, even if it's you making a ticket after the fact just to document what happened.

Sorry, we do enter every item that we work on into our system just so that we can give the client info on what we have done each year. We have had the contract for around 15 years and they reup on a 5 year contract each time. We are loved by our clients which is pretty nice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

demonachizer posted:

Sorry, we do enter every item that we work on into our system just so that we can give the client info on what we have done each year. We have had the contract for around 15 years and they reup on a 5 year contract each time. We are loved by our clients which is pretty nice.

OK, that wasn't clear. Thanks for clearing that up!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So last week I posted here about updating the iLOs on ~400 systems because of some goofy poo poo causing panics and reboots.

Well we just got sent this today:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/si...ette.cachetoken

Distillation:

If you are running an HP DL380 G7 with a Linux-based OS and the hp-health monitors installed, AND your iLO is v1.61 or higher, AND the iLO (not necessarily the system) has been up for ~40 days, you could get this issue.

We had 30 hosts reboot/panic in less than 24 hours almost exactly 40 days after being updated to 1.65.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Tweet this at them, watch their marketers get into a tizzy. Your AP will be overnighted.

I may do this if the guy sticks to his "no AP for you" line. I heard back from him this morning, but even with a screenshot taken during the presentation of an answer to my question, he's claiming I was a "No Show."

The worst part is that I was genuinely excited about their management interface. The stuff we sell and configure now is like pulling teeth, and the demo showed them configuring site-to-site VPN with a checkbox. It's hard to stay enthusiastic though when you get directly accused of being dishonest.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you are running an HP DL380 G7 with a Linux-based OS and the hp-health monitors installed, AND your iLO is v1.61 or higher, AND the iLO (not necessarily the system) has been up for ~40 days, you could get this issue.

We had 30 hosts reboot/panic in less than 24 hours almost exactly 40 days after being updated to 1.65.

Talk about the perfect storm right there.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sonic Dude posted:

I may do this if the guy sticks to his "no AP for you" line. I heard back from him this morning, but even with a screenshot taken during the presentation of an answer to my question, he's claiming I was a "No Show."

The worst part is that I was genuinely excited about their management interface. The stuff we sell and configure now is like pulling teeth, and the demo showed them configuring site-to-site VPN with a checkbox. It's hard to stay enthusiastic though when you get directly accused of being dishonest.

I was just trying to figure out when I was going to sign up for this, please keep us posted as to the outcome!

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

It's hard to stay enthusiastic though when you get directly accused of being dishonest.

I attended a webinar and after a quick phone call was quickly shipped my AP- and I know many who had similar experiences. I'd just attend another webinar and get it over with if they refuse to budge (a public message/tweet might help). You just have to leave the window open so it's not much of a hassle for a $300+ free product to play with.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Moey posted:

Talk about the perfect storm right there.

Yeah, that was a really fun 14 hour day. Particularly since they were big 384GB Virtual Hosts with ~30-100VMs on each them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Volmarias posted:

MUMPS is considered a canonical example of "how not to do it" for most values of "it". Think of it as COBOL's hard-living cousin.

Yeah, MUMPS is alive today only because of two things:

1-Having built in general trees that work fairly efficiently lets them get away with a lot of the dumber aspects of the language
2-A lot of software vendors are tied to the platform without any way to migrate off without rewriting their code from the ground up. It just isn't enough like any other language to try interpreting the code to a new platform.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, MUMPS is alive today only because of two things:

1-Having built in general trees that work fairly efficiently lets them get away with a lot of the dumber aspects of the language
2-A lot of software vendors are tied to the platform without any way to migrate off without rewriting their code from the ground up. It just isn't enough like any other language to try interpreting the code to a new platform.
3-The DoD is probably still using it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
An email came in:

quote:

Good morning,

I made a mistake…. I was filing a members cancellation docs in the G-drive and accidently renamed it… do you happen to remember what the file name was.
No problem. I routinely make a point of going through every folder on every network drive to memorize every name of every file.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nexxai posted:

An email came in:

No problem. I routinely make a point of going through every folder on every network drive to memorize every name of every file.
Wouldn't this be the sort of thing auditing is useful for? "User X changed file_name.doc to filename.doc"

(I don't know how auditing works)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

^^^^^ If you set it up properly yes.

nexxai posted:

An email came in:

Well you should be running auditing which would tell you who changed what and when. And also Shadow Copy so you can get back the file that they deleted because they always delete files they are not supposed to.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Trastion posted:

^^^^^ If you set it up properly yes.

Well you should be running auditing which would tell you who changed what and when. And also Shadow Copy so you can get back the file that they deleted because they always delete files they are not supposed to.

Goes Google Drive actually allow for this sort of auditing?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

Pretty sure it is a network drive mapped to G:, not Google Drive.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Ursine Asylum posted:

He said it was a network drive.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I joined the webinar thing 10mins late, put my phone on mute and minimised the window through the whole thing and still got my AP

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

A ticket came in from me to this thread:

Can I map a network drive to a Google Drive repo?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Trastion posted:

He said it was a network drive.

Ah, right you are. I'm too used to people around here using the term "G-Drive" for exactly what it sounds like, my bad. :blush:

• Locked thread