Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

That fungus-king would've traumatized the gently caress out of me if I saw this movie at the age I was presumably supposed to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

admataY posted:

Why mojo nixon ?
Because if you don't got Mojo Nixon, then your flick could use some fixin'

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I will say some positive thing about this movie: It's definitely got an effects budget. That yoshi puppet was downright decent (a few years later, and we'd have gotten some horrific CGI monstrosity) and the dystopian city is a lot of fun, even if it's not exactly theme appropriate.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

RiffTrax is taking over the National Geographic Channel for a 3 Hour TOTAL RIFF OFF 4/1/14 #RiffTraxTV

Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett set to entertain the world 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Tuesday, April 1st at 8pm EST | Add Event to your Calendar | Find your listing on TV Guide or National Geographic's TV site.

Yes, that date is April Fool’s, but there’s no joke here. Well, there will be jokes. Lots of jokes. Jokes told by us, on television. But the fact that there WILL be jokes isn’t a joke, you see... Look, we’ll start over.

We are incredibly excited to announce that RiffTrax will take over the National Geographic Channel for a special night of riffs, badass dino birds, rage-filled shrimp, demon bats, and more!

The good folks at National Geographic have taught the world about animals, science, and fascinating cultures for years. Now, in their infinite wisdom, they’ve seen fit to have RiffTrax riffmasters Michael J. Nelson, Bill Corbett, and Kevin Murphy take on some of their wildest, strangest discoveries. This will be the guys’ first time riffing on television since Mystery Science Theater 3000, and trust us, you do NOT want to miss it. Think of them as the kids in the back of high school science class cracking wise, except funnier, and with better skin.

So flap your wings, flex your dorsal fin, or just move your regular old boring human feet, but do whatever you have to do to get yourself in front of a TV for the rapid-fire hilarity of TOTAL RIFF OFF on National Geographic!

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Video preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_Jq2leTDQ

At the beginning there, the music on the title screen, was that Jonathan Coulton singing?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've always wanted to watch it after seeing snippets as a kid. Is it entertaining in how bizarre it is, or just a trudging slog?

It's definitely watchable, just incoherent and with a script that's obviously 40 different ideas mashed together. Dennis Hopper brings it if nobody else did. No mammal! :argh:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

admataY posted:

The fungus, oh god why so much Fungus . also the fungus is lance henriksen ?!

You think that's a What the gently caress cameo, the opening narration is Dan Castellaneta.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's definitely watchable, just incoherent and with a script that's obviously 40 different ideas mashed together. Dennis Hopper brings it if nobody else did. No mammal! :argh:

I'll go on a limb and say that Hoskins brought his A-game to it....well, as much as an A-Game as you can bring when you spend the whole production drunk off your rear end.

And I really liked how expressive the Goomba faces could be for how simple they were.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I actually think Leguizamo and Hoskins make for a fairly likable Luigi and Mario, and Dennis Hopper's performance just makes me cringe.

The movie itself is so bad I have trouble watching it though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Maremidon posted:

I actually think Leguizamo and Hoskins make for a fairly likable Luigi and Mario, and Dennis Hopper's performance just makes me cringe.

The movie itself is so bad I have trouble watching it though.

If Mario was more the main character than Luigi, I might agree with you. I'll agree that Hoskins was a good casting choice for Mario.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Luigi Thirty posted:

Really this is the entire movie smashed into 17 seconds and is my favorite Dennis Hopper line delivery of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdrlALQVEKM

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And I really liked how expressive the Goomba faces could be for how simple they were.

I saw this in theaters when I was 14 and would have forgotten it existed for the next 20 years or so, if not for a strange vivid nightmare I had a few days later. In it, a middle school teacher of mine known for being very round and fat but with a small head was following me around silently as one of the movie goombas. Except instead of a lizard head, it was a tiny version of his head with the same "YAAAAY" expressions that the Toad goomba had.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

PassTheRemote posted:

If Mario was more the main character than Luigi, I might agree with you. I'll agree that Hoskins was a good casting choice for Mario.

Would you like to know who else was considered for various roles?

Koopa was nearly Michael Keaton, Arnold Schwarzenegger (We were spared 2 hours of lizard puns...worse lizard puns), and Kevin loving Costner. :stare:

Other Marios included DeVito (obvious, really), Bruno Kirby (yeah, not surprising), and Tom Hanks was originally cast, before Hollywood Pictures figured they could turn a bigger profit if they paid Bob Hoskins as opposed to Tom Hanks.

I'm sorry, I want to see the alternate version with Tom Hanks and Kevin Costner. That would be loving amazing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I gotta say, I love the fact that, while everyone else working on the movie was drinking away the pain or just flat-out losing their poo poo, Fisher Stevens and Richard Edson just embraced the insanity and started just writing their own dialog.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That was a really solid Riff. Mainly because they seemed to toss in a reference to every piece of Mario lore possible.

In terms of weird poo poo from the movie, there was recently a webcomic started up by two guys who are friends with one of the writers of the Mario movie. Namely the writer who insisted on doing the cliffhanger at the end. He told the guys what his ideas were for a sequel and they decided to make it in comic form. It's essentially a Mario movie-style reinterpretation of Mario 2.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gavok posted:

That was a really solid Riff. Mainly because they seemed to toss in a reference to every piece of Mario lore possible.

In terms of weird poo poo from the movie, there was recently a webcomic started up by two guys who are friends with one of the writers of the Mario movie. Namely the writer who insisted on doing the cliffhanger at the end. He told the guys what his ideas were for a sequel and they decided to make it in comic form. It's essentially a Mario movie-style reinterpretation of Mario 2.

Wow. That..that's actually pretty drat awesome. Those ShyGuys are loving metal.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
Starting in July, Myretro TV, home of reruns of 60s and 70s shows and billions of Metamucil and Ben-Gay commercials, will begin showing MST3K reruns.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How the hell did they get those redistribution rights. I can't imagine no one else wanted it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Dear god, MST3K has become retro. :stare:

I knew it would happen someday, but not this soon...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There is a local station! Yay! It also looks like they have He-Man and Ghostbusters on Saturday morning, so I got an excuse to wake up before noon.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Paper Kaiju posted:

Dear god, MST3K has become retro. :stare:

I knew it would happen someday, but not this soon...

The Joel episodes are now older than "The Brady Bunch" was when the Brady Bunch movie came out. The first airing of "Manos" is old enough to buy beer.

Sleep tight.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, whatever this summer's Live event is, it's big enough to warrant a countdown for a live announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePF7Zs4AgM

:stare:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So, whatever this summer's Live event is, it's big enough to warrant a countdown for a live announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePF7Zs4AgM

:stare:

I have a feeling it's going to be Space Mutiny. Which is OK, I guess, but considering that I've seen the MST3K episode about a dozen times, I'm not that amped up about it.

But, I could very easily be wrong, and I look forward to seeing what they chose.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RagingBoner posted:

I have a feeling it's going to be Space Mutiny. Which is OK, I guess, but considering that I've seen the MST3K episode about a dozen times, I'm not that amped up about it.

But, I could very easily be wrong, and I look forward to seeing what they chose.

I'd welcome that or Time Chasers (Time Chasers more so) because the full cut of each movie has some really funny scenes that were omitted from the MST3K episodes.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
not only do we get a live announcement of the next Rifftrax Live film but we get a shiny new VOD as well!
http://www.rifftrax.com/video/terror-at-tenkller

Rifftrax posted:

Follow-up to the rarely seen, totally imaginary films Ennui at Eightkiller and Nausea at Ninekiller, Terror at Tenkiller really brings the goods! And by “the goods” we mostly mean there’s a character named Tor in it. Seriously, at this point the Venn diagram of “movies featuring a character or actor named Tor” and “movies we have riffed” must be approaching a perfect circle. Why does this keep happening? We don’t know, but you can be sure an insane scientist in some B movie is hard at work on the answer, and that his name is Tor!

This particular Tor lives at a lake called Tenkiller, where his hobbies include boat maintenance, wearing upsettingly tiny shorts, and purifying the world of unclean people with murder. Oh, that Tor! He works with Preacher, an old creep whose voice seems to have been dubbed in a bathroom stall by a sleepy hillbilly. When two cute college coeds show up at the lake to get away from an overbearing boyfriend, and the fact that they’re somehow roommates despite a 15 year age difference, it’s time for terror! And phone calls. And long conversations about restaurant management. And naps. And people waking up from naps. And peaceful walks to the dock. But mostly, the first thing! What was it again? Oh yeah, TERROR!

Join Mike, Kevin, Bill, and Tor for a relaxing spa murder weekend to Terror at Tenkiller!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yes, just what I needed today is a nice VOD!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Guys... Fathom Events updated their page a little early...

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/rifftrax-live-sharknado

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 28, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
IN.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Canned Panda posted:

Somehow I've managed to not see that movie yet, so seeing it for the first time with Rifftrax will probably be a total blast. I'm there.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ehh. I don't know about a movie that is purposefully stupid. But I keep missing the live events so I'll try this one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, I've seen Sharknado and I honestly couldn't tell you if it was bad-on-purpose or just bad. I mean, I'm pretty sure the writer and director made the movie that bad on purpose, but I think you can argue it either way.

Regardless, though, that's going to be AMAZING.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Canned Panda posted:

Goddamn it, Fathom! :argh:

On the other hand, loving Sharknado, yeah I'm in. If they're back in Canada of course.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, I've seen Sharknado and I honestly couldn't tell you if it was bad-on-purpose or just bad. I mean, I'm pretty sure the writer and director made the movie that bad on purpose, but I think you can argue it either way.

It seemed like it was going to be a schlocky C-movie that was so-bad-it's-good, but it was just... bad. So, I think they tried to be bad-on-purpose and just failed.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I see your Casper Van Dien jokes and raise you an Ian Ziering.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah I'll definitely try to catch this.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Piper posted:

I see your Casper Van Dien jokes and raise you an Ian Ziering.

I see your Ian Ziering and raise you Tara Reid. :smug:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Goddamn it, Fathom! :argh:

On the other hand, loving Sharknado, yeah I'm in. If they're back in Canada of course.

Where: Beamed LIVE to 600+ Theaters in the US and Canada

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Canned Panda posted:

Where: Beamed LIVE to 600+ Theaters in the US and Canada

Nice.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Bill seriously made that announcement hilarious. Love those guys. Seriously ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Goddamn it, now I want the sequel to Sharknado to be Squiddicane.

edit: gently caress it, I'll write it and sell it to Asylum!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually remember an interview with some of the Asylum crew talking about how hard it is to make no-budget shlock that isn't obviously tongue-in-cheek and throwing winks to the camera left and right. It's a fine line between a movie not being in on the joke and a movie being too in on the joke. But yeah, they're fully aware that they're making campy garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Canned Panda posted:

It seemed like it was going to be a schlocky C-movie that was so-bad-it's-good, but it was just... bad. So, I think they tried to be bad-on-purpose and just failed.

It's an Asylum movie, made specifically because someone threw darts at a board and it hit "Shark" and "Tornado". I didn't find it funny at all, just boring. They tried way way too hard to be so-bad-it's-good. Those movies only work when the people making them are, you know, TRYING to make a good movie, and failed horribly. Beyond the name, I have no loving clue why people got so excited about it.

So yeah, I'm not interested in seeing this again, even with Rifftrax over it.

• Locked thread