Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
Wow, all of this just because you goons can't understand the beauty of an OP with no videos in it.

The lp is inside of us, all along. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man how do you even do that. Forget to post the actual LP video, I mean.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Are fantastic threads getting torn apart regularly by people suggesting that it could use some advice from the sandcastle? I'm trying to work out if all this is just a theoretical concern or a practical one. Does anyone have an example of a thread that they are willing to vouch for that was disrupted in this way? In every instance I've seen the thread was terrible, and pointing out the place to go to get help was the right thing to do.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

jawbroken posted:

Are fantastic threads getting torn apart regularly by people suggesting that it could use some advice from the sandcastle? I'm trying to work out if all this is just a theoretical concern or a practical one. Does anyone have an example of a thread that they are willing to vouch for that was disrupted in this way? In every instance I've seen the thread was terrible, and pointing out the place to go to get help was the right thing to do.

No. And I think Geop directed him to the Sandcastle because him being here is by means of extenuating circumstances. Winning the mod challenge doesn't mean Richard Gamingo realizes how to make an "SA compatible" (whatever that means) LP. And it'd be kind of silly to ban the dude for arbitrary reasons after he won a mod challenge that had some kind of criteria for. It's all a bit schizophrenic on SA, let's face facts. I honestly have no idea why some threads succeed and others get gassed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh the game's called Erie by the way there isn't a third e in the name.

http://www.desura.com/games/erie

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
My quality internet comedy is being destroyed by people wanting to get attention instead of showing off games that they really admire!

*preserves Clownbirth's Peggle LP for the next generation*

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

What's wrong with him wanting to make his LPs the way they are? If they're poo poo, the thread will die and fall into the archives.

Nothing I guess, just that if he doesn't even want to try then why is he here?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

steinrokkan posted:

Ultimately any gimmick LP, including the feet thing, is more about the LPer than about the game. Also I find the attacks against personality-driven LPs quite rich coming from a forum where a game presented by a popular guy will have inevitably 100 times more views than an LP of the same game by a lesser known person.

I've seen LP's posted by popular people not get many views mainly due to the obscurity of the game. If anything, the LP's that really get popular are usually of games already popular (or infamous in the case of bad games) or obscure games that do something very interesting that people get hooked on (NIER, Deadly Premonition, Dangan Ronpa, etc), in which case word of mouth gets more and more people to read/watch.

A LP's popularity basically comes down to the game a lot of the time.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Suspicious Dish posted:

*preserves Clownbirth's Peggle LP for the next generation*
I hope somebody actually did that

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2725735&pagenumber=123&perpage=40#post427045957

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I swear, we go through this every couple of months. Is this cyclical or something?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geop posted:

Could probably edit the audio a bit more :v: I kinda scrubbed through, but during the text-crawl around 3m or so, I could hear you breathing/background stuff going on. Is the in-game audio gained down, globally? During that same text-crawl, it sounded super-quiet, so I'm just curious.

The audio is straight out of the emulator's own recording setup. The XAudio2 plugin recorded everything so loud that it was a constant clipfest (and crashed ever 15 minutes) and I guess the DirectSound version doesn't do that and I had the in-game volume halved in preparation. Dammit I'm gonna have to record that again. I only recorded the first 15 minutes of that video about 50 goddamn times trying to figure out what was causing the crashes :negative:. Was already planning on redoing the commentary, this time remembering that my mic has a mute button :v:

E: actually the 100% file I grabbed off GameFAQs to test a couple video issues had the music quartered, voices at about 1/3 and sound effects at half :iiam:

Explosionface posted:

I can't listen to the commentary while I'm at work, so I can't offer anything there. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to go somewhat hybrid for :words:. Maybe still have everything in the video, but speed through it and summarize in video with full details in a post in the thread.

That's just what the game does when it's text crawl time. It's super quiet and a bit weird.

I'm planning on recording the rest of the briefings separate from the actual gameplay, it's just that these first 2 are so married to their walls of exposition that there really wasn't a good place to stop. Any other mission dumps you to the dock menu to research parts and design boats once the briefing is over. Maybe the intro formalities need to be split up into about 4 videos, as well.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Mehuyael posted:

But seriously, it's because it shows that the guy cares more about selling himself than the game. I want to see the game, not some guy's face.

How many times can this tired old line be spouted?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ApeHawk posted:

I swear, we go through this every couple of months. Is this cyclical or something?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

gatz posted:

How many times can this tired old line been spouted?

As many times as it takes for it to stop being true. So infinity.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 28, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mehuyael posted:

But seriously, it's because it shows that the guy cares more about selling himself than the game. I want to see the game, not some guy's face.

I only watch LPs for the plot.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm planning on recording the rest of the briefings separate from the actual gameplay, it's just that these first 2 are so married to their walls of exposition that there really wasn't a good place to stop. Any other mission dumps you to the dock menu to research parts and design boats once the briefing is over. Maybe the intro formalities need to be split up into about 4 videos, as well.

Yeah, I was just thinking of the first couple missions, because everything's been pretty brief after that (that I've seen at least). Other than my obsessive need to almost completely redesign every ship after each mission, but I digress.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone here who actually said 'we shouldn't allow LPs with facecams to have threads here because of the facecams' reiterate that point so I can know they exist?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I admit that a hybrid would probably be best but if I did that this thread would be about half over by the time the giant insects arrive to kill us all :v:
EDF!EDF!EDF!

The realities of this thing being hundreds of videos long are starting to sink in: ~200 missions by the time all 3 branches are done, some amount of research and design talk, maybe showing off Inferno, and I'm planning on doing some bonus videos of the PSP version when the version differences become relevant.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

This is like staring into the face of God.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Okay, the derail is kind of going nowhere at this point.

Gamingo, post your thread and have at it. More than anything, I just wanted you to look at the sandcastle and get a feel for what may or may not cause a bunch of shitposts in your thread. Rather than just saying "lurk more" or however folks put it, I figured this was worth a shot. Maybe not; whatever.

Back to test-posty things and all that jazz.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So I turned the ingame volume back up and this is what the recording looks like

It's clipping all over the place. It's not real bad in this video but I guess I'll have to back that off a little bit when I start having boats with more than a handful of guns.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You know, I've been thinking in light of this whole kerfuffle, and it occurs to me that the constant chanting of "go back to the sandcastle" whenever someone sees a flawed LP might be causing some problems for people that are new to SA. Several times now I've seen where that happens, and then the person just posts the same thing and basically then comes off as "okay, it's in the sandcastle, can I post now?" not even seeming to be aware of what the sandcastle is even for. I don't have the answer to that, but it still seems like maybe the subforum has been losing some of its transparency over time. We all know the sandcastle is supposed to be the place for advice and critiques over how to make your LP good, but from the outside it starts looking like just some weird formal step in getting mod approval for posting.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

If only there was a list of guidelines or rules they could read. They could even lurk, god forbid.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey, I'm back. Okay, so I've redone my LP for Brave Fencer Musashi, gimmick-free, post commentary.

Here's the redone video. If no one has a problem with this video, I'll go ahead and post the thread and continue on.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why don't we just add a "no facecam" rule? Facecams rarely, if ever, add anything to the LP, they take up space in video and are frankly obnoxious. And the next time someone tries to do this, we just point him at the rules.

Mind you there are exceptions (Super Mario64 beaten with feet, if anyone LPs Steel Battalion with its giant rear end controller, etc...) but straight up facecams shouln'tbe allowed.

My problem with facecams is that putting one in makes people feel they need to perform for it. I mean otherwise what are you putting it there for? This means you need to either act authentically or play the game blind and both of those are pretty poo poo options.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I think facecams can be done well, but they idea of just putting your dimly lit face in the corner of a screen seems like the worst way to do it. I kinda like what the giant bomb guys do for their feature specials, where they put a border around the video showing all the guys in the office. Partly because it leads to hilarious poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGz4Z78-uUw

But to do that you'd need professional video editing equipment, multiple cameras, proper studio lighting, and people who can be funny on camera without distracting from the game itself. So a bit more than some doofus with a webcam. For the most part I'd agree that you should avoid them, but there are fringe cases where I think they work.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Honestly, also don't forget that having a group of people there improves it a lot since ya know normal people react to eachother. Like, the giant bomb videos with just one person in it with a facecam are boring as gently caress cause its just a dude looking into a camera and talking.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Good point. I tend to avoid the GB videos with only one commentator for that exact reason, facecam or no.

Ed: Except for Patrick's Spelunky videos. Those were interesting, though I feel like the facecam added nothing to them. So yeah, only do facecam if you've got multiple people who can work off of each other.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Zannosuke posted:

Hey, I'm back. Okay, so I've redone my LP for Brave Fencer Musashi, gimmick-free, post commentary.

Here's the redone video. If no one has a problem with this video, I'll go ahead and post the thread and continue on.

I got thoroughly bored with the opening act of this game when I tried to start up an LP of it years ago, but I still learned things from this video and found it pretty entertaining. Gimmick-free post commentary is definitely working for you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zannosuke posted:

Looks good to me. I say make the thread.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Hey guys what's up I'm just checking in to say that face cams will probably get you laughed out of your own thread and for good reason, but there are legitimate uses for face cam technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC3axJhdzSI

The invisible hand of the free market and public opinion will kill all but the most determined face cam users, so in my opinion, it's probably not worth it to ban or otherwise materially punish them. They will suffer enough when their egos are blasted with nuclear hate missiles and bad thread posts. Probably. Maybe I'm talking bull poo poo who knows. Anyway, keep it real everyone!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

FutureFriend posted:

Facecam are boring as gently caress cause its just a dude looking into a camera and talking.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Smooth Moves

I bloody hope this becomes a thing in the Wario thread, FF.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mr DJB posted:

I bloody hope this becomes a thing in the Wario thread, FF.

You mean the amazing wizard outfit, right?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
What do you mean, outfit? That's what wizards are SUPPOSED to wear.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I see that some people do actually want to ban facecams. Sorry, didn't think they actually existed.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

Well, I see that some people do actually want to ban facecams. Sorry, didn't think they actually existed.

I don't think it's necessary, but it's disingenuous to act like requiring mod approval would be out of character for SA rules.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Zannosuke posted:

Looks pretty good. My biggest nitpick is when you stop to grind Drans from the bats in the tower--you really don't need to do that, or at least don't leave it in the video. Personally, I got enough money just from running up the tower and killing the constant stream of bats as I went. :shrug: Smaller nitpicks on the commentary--the button command for Assimilation isn't R1+Circle, and not every action Musashi does drains his BP, just throwing things and using Assimilated abilities.

Nice speedrun trick on the log bridge, though. Have you seen the BFM speedrun on Speed Demos Archive? It shows (or at least mentions) some tricks that might be worth showing off later. There's one in particular I'd love to see, or contribute a video of myself. :)

All in all, I think you're definitely good to go.

LordKaT
Mar 16, 2011
Hi. I make a video series called Until We Win. It's not strictly a "Let's Play" as it doesn't go through each level in excruciatingly humorous detail, so I decided to post it here so as not to be a shitposting scrub and get your feedback. Actually, I asked a mod if I could post it first. I'm not a completely inconsiderate bastard, yet. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjJ7hZpN3PE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What are you bringing to the table for this face cam discussion?

• Locked thread