Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jackard posted:

The animations here* strongly remind me of some thirty-ish step interactive tutorial for designing a platformer that has you start out shooting zombies, adds a new feature each step, and finally at the end says "you were the villain all along"

I can't remember the name or find the link, does anyone else remember this?

*recoil, screen shaking, enemy bouncing, head bobbing, etc.

The Art of Screenshake given by JW of Vlambeer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
That's a fun presentation! Dude has the whiniest voice though.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
And here's the final, finished version of that piece i have been working on:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 28, 2014

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

And here's the final, finished version of that piece i have been working on:

This looks great.

The texture in the roofs between the buildings and the tower is a bit jarring, though.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Took another pass at the portraits and cleaned them up some. Plus I did a major rework on the girl and pig guy. I could definitely add some more AA and smooth things out, but I'm pretty happy where it's at now.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Started doing some art tests for my next game.

I'm going with the "sketch, then trace" approach I've used before with larger work.

I'm using very flat, minimally shaded colors to produce a cartoony look which will also make it a bit easier to animate. Striking the right balance on detail and economy (so I can actually finish the whole project in a reasonable timeframe) is difficult and will take some practice, I think.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fun with head.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Experimenting with a full body character.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Baldbeard posted:

Experimenting with a full body character.

I'd love to see this sprite in a screen mock up.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
just finished detailing the butt cheeks/fat rolls our main walk cycle, woooo!
note: the face changes expressions, so the animation on them had to be a little subdued
~8 days well spent

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is there some mix of :3: and :gonk:? Because I need it right now.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Scut posted:

I'd love to see this sprite in a screen mock up.

I just spent so long trying to make a blacksmith shop to put the smith in, and ended up saying "eff it!" and just put him in a little mini scene. Turns out I'm drat terrible at structuring some kind of environment. I really like doing simple portraits, icons, and characters -- but gawt-dang is doing bigger stuff a struggle.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 3, 2014

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Started fooling around with graphicsgale this morning.
I like it a lot but man oh man the way it handles transparency is atrocious.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gaspy Conana posted:

just finished detailing the butt cheeks/fat rolls our main walk cycle, woooo!

That's a ton of work, looks excellent!

Don't knock this, it's quite good looking. I'd suggest trying to make the character stand out more from the scene by either adjusting the palette or even adding an outline if that will suit the aesthetic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How do I make the edges of this sand terrain look more like sand dunes and less like squiggles? (ignore the water)

The center tiles work pretty well, but the edges, not so much.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Scut posted:

That's a ton of work, looks excellent!

Don't knock this, it's quite good looking. I'd suggest trying to make the character stand out more from the scene by either adjusting the palette or even adding an outline if that will suit the aesthetic.

Thanks, yeah that's a good idea.
I'm still trying to figure out how everything works. Seems like the "retro" looking pixel style has some major pros and cons. Great thing is I can generate content pretty quickly, but depending on the level of detail I want something to have, I obviously have to completely re-draw it since I can't just scale it up. Still wrapping my head around it.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Some Art/Animation stuff for a pirate game i'm working on at Chucklefish.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Supernorn posted:

Oh I saw this today when Tiy tweeted it. O was debating applying when they were looking for people but I'm still nowhere near confident enough. Looks awesome though!

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
No harm in applying! I think they've been flooded with applicants from the younger Starbound audience, so someone with stuff to show will probably stand out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I might get something together. How did you present your work? I might whip up some crappy html gallery or something.

Speaking of showing work.

I caught up with a really old friend recently who's getting into game design. He's making a brawler that involves a granny fighting off waves of Gnomes, so I'm giving him a hand.

Then I got bored and did this

E: I messed with the punch a lot

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 4, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Grandma's got a hell of a package.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Supernorn posted:

No harm in applying! I think they've been flooded with applicants from the younger Starbound audience, so someone with stuff to show will probably stand out.

I was thinking of applying as well. Do you know what sort of assets they're in need of at the moment? Could tailor the application a bit.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cheap Shot posted:

I was thinking of applying as well. Do you know what sort of assets they're in need of at the moment? Could tailor the application a bit.

I just sent an email saying I wanted to work on it and a link to my portfolio site.

As far as i know they're looking for pixel artists that can also do a bit of animation. It's been announced that the next project is a pirate game so you could do something piratey themed perhaps.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 4, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got distracted....

Yodzilla posted:

Grandma's got a hell of a package.

I pixeled Grandma's gunt. :supaburn:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 4, 2014

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shoehead posted:

I got distracted....

please make this into a game someday. that title screen gets me super pumped up. :unsmigghh:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

How do I make the edges of this sand terrain look more like sand dunes and less like squiggles? (ignore the water)

Could you post up a 1:1 copy? Ideally without the lighting layer? I think I can draw an idea or two.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Scut posted:

Could you post up a 1:1 copy? Ideally without the lighting layer? I think I can draw an idea or two.
That's an ingame screenshot. Since then I tried making the squiggles all run the same direction, and it looks a bit better:

Here's what it looks like in the editor: http://i.imgur.com/YqsdRDT.png
And on its own: http://i.imgur.com/X1FxAF3.png

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm a bit confused, your before and after look nearly identical to me. Can you circle what exactly you are having trouble with?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Scut posted:

I'm a bit confused, your before and after look nearly identical to me. Can you circle what exactly you are having trouble with?
All of our terrain must be able to break down into single tiles due to terraforming; not sure how to make that look good with sand.

The center pattern is nice, but edges are weird, and the smaller clusters are nothing but edge tiles.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 5, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Supernorn posted:

Is this that spec work gig they posted about? You're getting paid, right?

SMP
May 5, 2009

mutata posted:

And a follow-up: What does this mean for the SS13 remake? :v:

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

mutata posted:

I looked into it a bit since this thread talked about it, but it reads like it's for profit share. Mind you, they're a big name so that would still be p decent probably? Also, their concept art looked painted, not pixel art, and I didn't read anywhere that they were looking for pixel artists specifically (though I might have missed it, I just glanced).

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

The center pattern is nice, but edges are weird, and the smaller clusters are nothing but edge tiles.

Honestly I think those areas you marked out look fine, they evoke a dune shape. If you added a third tone to the sand, in between the light and mid tones, you could fill those crescents with it to make them fade a bit to the human eye.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Jesus Christ I've done a lot of sprites.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I've been following this thread for a while and I'd just like to say that some of the stuff you guys post is absolutely beautiful. Especially Scut's work.

I recently had to pick up pixel art again for a game my small studio made. In hindsight, it would have been better if I posted these here before our game was finished to get feedback, but we were in such a rush I forgot. Here are a few backgrounds for it...

These were for a sequel to a previous game we made called "Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing". This sequel is an episodic mystery series called "World of Typing Weekly". If you're interested in trying these out, I'd start with our "Teaches Typing" game.

Anyway, our next game won't be pixelated, but I'd still love to hear some feedback on these in case I have to go back to pixel art anytime soon. Looking back at these I realize I'm really a freaking idiot for never using a color pallet. It would have certainly helped.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

mutata posted:

Yeah It's revenue share, and I do not have a problem with that.

Concept art was just that, concept art. There's no solid idea of the look of the game yet, but likely to be pixel art.

As for SS13 standalone, I've been working on it (for free and at personal expense) for a very long time and still don't have much to show for it. I'll revisit the art when there's more code behind it, which I don't have much control over.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Apple Jax posted:

I've been following this thread for a while and I'd just like to say that some of the stuff you guys post is absolutely beautiful. Especially Scut's work.

Woah thanks! Also double-woah, Icarus Proudbottom is goonmade? That's so cool! I first saw your game on Rock Paper Shotgun.

e: Just read that it was made for an SA game jam... so... I feel kinda dumb for not knowing already.

Scut fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 6, 2014

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Scut posted:

Woah thanks! Also double-woah, Icarus Proudbottom is goonmade? That's so cool! I first saw your game on Rock Paper Shotgun.

e: Just read that it was made for an SA game jam... so... I feel kinda dumb for not knowing already.

I really love your machine-like art like this:

Scut posted:

Wanted something that combined sleek with bulky.
Making a robot or anything mechanical pixelated is easy, but doing sleek stuff like that is incredible. And really, I have a lot to learn when it comes to color pallets and yours are inspiring.

Yep, all of the Icarus Proudbottom games were made by just me and another goon Polo-Rican. The first two ("Curse of the Chocolate Fountain" and "Teaches Typing") were both for SA Game Dev challenges. This stuff I posted above for "World of Typing Weekly" was just a little episodic murder mystery we did after Teaches Typing got a bit of press but we also did it because it ties in with our next game too well.

Anyway, I'm honored you know about any of our Icarus Proudbottom games at all!

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 6, 2014

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Yo Scut get thee to the Making Games Megathread where all the best video games are being made all the time in order to not feel kinda dumb in the future. It's pretty cool to see someone post a prototype one day only to have it turn into something awesome over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yesterday was gun day