Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A weird piece of marketing from Veeam came in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zGBVzKpF0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A weird piece of marketing from Veeam came in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zGBVzKpF0

Speaking of Veeam: I looked into them about a year ago before buying their software and every single ad I get on the internet is still a Veeam redirect.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
No tickets coming in:

Unbelievably, I finished all of my work and left no tags for others to complete with five hours left in my last day at this gig. Not like I was trying very hard and would have given no shits if I left unfinished work behind, but for the first time ever I did not.

:feelsgoodman:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Well you should be running auditing which would tell you who changed what and when. And also Shadow Copy so you can get back the file that they deleted because they always delete files they are not supposed to.
You're missing the point. I *can* do all of that but I will *not* do all of that, considering that the folder that she's speaking of has exactly 4 files in it, all named in a very particular order, which is the same for its nearly 16,000 sibling folders which she uses on a sub-hourly basis.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nexxai posted:

You're missing the point. I *can* do all of that but I will *not* do all of that, considering that the folder that she's speaking of has exactly 4 files in it, all named in a very particular order, which is the same for its nearly 16,000 sibling folders which she uses on a sub-hourly basis.

So it should be easy, right?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

nexxai posted:

So the point is you don't want to support a user (do your job)?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't do auditing so good luck if you gently caress something up on a network file share.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Agrikk posted:

No tickets coming in:

Unbelievably, I finished all of my work and left no tags for others to complete with five hours left in my last day at this gig. Not like I was trying very hard and would have given no shits if I left unfinished work behind, but for the first time ever I did not.

:feelsgoodman:

This is me today. GM, supervisor, and the entire sales team are at a conference and the news team doesn't get in until I leave for the day. I've had pretty much the whole building to myself all day and nothing really needs to be done.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

So the point is you don't want to support a user (do your job)?
The point is that her manager told me to tell her to figure it out herself. We're not big on the whole hand-holding thing here. If you're not capable to do even the most basic process of elimination, you're not going to last long at our company.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nexxai posted:

The point is that her manager told me to tell her to figure it out herself. We're not big on the whole hand-holding thing here. If you're not capable to do even the most basic process of elimination, you're not going to last long at our company.

Time to start chopping heads! :black101:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

nexxai posted:

I get (and appreciate) policies like that. I'd hope that the quickest retribution to come to this user would be wasting management's time by CC'ing them on this dumbass email.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Finally reimaged that HTTPS hosed up laptop today. Works like a charm now, still dunno what was borked on it. I ended up removing the network card from Device Manager and rebooting it to reinstall/repair the network stack and that didn't help either. I just wish we had enough bandwidth at my office that I could image here instead of taking it to the main office downtown and wasting three hours watching progress bars.

Even with one guy out sick and another going home at 10am to keep out of OT, the three of us onsite haven't done poo poo today. I think it's the first day in over 2 months that the email helpdesk team has been in "remote resolution" (fix it if you can) instead of "catch and release" (read email, make ticket, send to onsite support). I actually got to study for my 680/685 tests.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

Time to start chopping heads! :black101:
Funny you should mention. I was just over by her manager's office, who's door was closed and the offending user conspicuously absent from her workstation. It might be time to break out the party hats (this is not even the dumbest of the emails she's ever sent).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Another example:

quote:

Good Morning,
I was just wondering if there is a way to recover all of my sub folders for my emails in outlook.

quote:

Which subfolders do you need restored?

quote:

Just the sub folders I had with [my team] members for my emails

quote:

Then you should just click the arrow icon immediately to the left of “Inbox” in the tree and it will expand to show your subfolders.

quote:

Thanks!

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Who rebooted the DFS server on accident in the middle of the day while prepping for overnight work?

This loving guy right here.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Inspector_666 posted:

I guess I don't understand computer dating theory.

There's a theory that you can take a computer out on a date?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nexxai posted:

I may be missing the point too. Why on earth do you want a file share in your environment without auditing or shadow copies? It seems..... pointless. Do you not back them up either? Why have it at all?

I am just missing something I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nexxai posted:

Then you should just click the arrow icon immediately to the left of “Inbox” in the tree and it will expand to show your subfolders.

God drat why does this happen all the time?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

God drat why does this happen all the time?

HELP ALL MY EMAILS OLDER THAN A WEEK GOT DELETED

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I may be missing the point too. Why on earth do you want a file share in your environment without auditing or shadow copies? ... backups ...
As I said above, we have all three, however I'm not going to (nor does management expect me to) spend any time digging through Shadow Copies if the issue is personnel-related rather than technology-related. I basically live in the IT technician's paradise.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 28, 2014

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

HELP ALL MY EMAILS OLDER THAN A WEEK GOT DELETED

The Exchange admins have defaulted Outlook 2013 to 3 months of email in cached exchange mode. EVERYONE is overlooking the "get more from Exchange" link at the bottom of their inbox/whatever other folder their in. When we only have 80GB HDDs in the machines and a fresh image leaves them with just over 30GB free, I see the point in limiting the OST size, but send some education out to the users, drat.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

GoatShaver posted:

Who rebooted the DFS server on accident in the middle of the day while prepping for overnight work?

This loving guy right here.

Was it a clean restart or a dirty one?

If the latter, I hope you have your affairs in order.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Was it a clean restart or a dirty one?

If the latter, I hope you have your affairs in order.

Mostly clean. Just... gently caress.

Although I found out the time comes back off by about 20 minutes after restart, so now I have this to chase.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CommanderApaul posted:

The Exchange admins have defaulted Outlook 2013 to 3 months of email in cached exchange mode. EVERYONE is overlooking the "get more from Exchange" link at the bottom of their inbox/whatever other folder their in. When we only have 80GB HDDs in the machines and a fresh image leaves them with just over 30GB free, I see the point in limiting the OST size, but send some education out to the users, drat.

Actually limiting the OST helps performance somewhat as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And if you only have 80GB drives in those things then they are probably poo poo and old anyway. So the limit makes a lot of sense.

Assuming that the search will still return results for the whole Inbox I can't see much of a need to be able to scroll back past 3 months.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

duz posted:

I haven't played Mass Effect 3, so I don't actually know.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

duz posted:

They don't call it the 3.5" floppy for nothin' :pervert:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
For those who we're looking for an update re: Meraki shenanigans, I ended up tweeting them and about 15 minutes later they "were able to make the change" and record that I attended their sales thing. Then I called the guy to confirm my address and he never called back.

So I guess that's still a maybe? I'm not too concerned at this point. It would be nice to play around with in the shop but I'm pretty much convinced I don't want to rely on this guy for anything related to actual business.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Caged posted:

And if you only have 80GB drives in those things then they are probably poo poo and old anyway. So the limit makes a lot of sense.

Assuming that the search will still return results for the whole Inbox I can't see much of a need to be able to scroll back past 3 months.

The machines are 5 years old and we're getting about a 10% HDD failure rate on Win7 upgrade, usually from Bitlocker making GBS threads itself when it starts encrypting. It's been an interesting couple months. I really hope the hardware refresh that was schedule for last fall happens after the new fiscal year. Sequestration and the shutdown hosed up so much stuff.

Search is only returning result cached in the OST, but also has a "get more from exchange" link at the end if the search results that everyone is ignoring.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

God that thing sounds like cicadas and now I can hear them coming. :gonk:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Stanos posted:

I'm going to nickname my next appropriate development project "Cicada" and see if anybody gets it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Stanos posted:

Locusts :ohdear:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I got one of those from Intel like 7 years ago, they are pretty neat. The android noisemaker is still the neatest though, so cute with it's little legs.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Quick question regarding best practice for naming an Active Directory domain. It used to be they were normally all called <companyname>.local but now MS is recommending you don't do that. So is it now best to use a subdomain of the companies internet domain e.g internal.<companyname>.com for the name of the Active Directory domain. Is this correct and what is everyone using for the new domains you are deploying?

I ask this as we are about to finally start retiring a bunch of old SBS 2003 setups for various clients.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Varkk posted:

Quick question regarding best practice for naming an Active Directory domain. It used to be they were normally all called <companyname>.local but now MS is recommending you don't do that. So is it now best to use a subdomain of the companies internet domain e.g internal.<companyname>.com for the name of the Active Directory domain. Is this correct and what is everyone using for the new domains you are deploying?

I ask this as we are about to finally start retiring a bunch of old SBS 2003 setups for various clients.

I am not an AD guy, but thats what i recommend. (using a subdomain of a domain you own) Here's why:

1) RFC 6762: .local is for MDNS. Don't use it for other things.
2) IANA is drunk with power and creating new TLD's all the time. A company i worked for used .int, which was later snatched up by IANA as a TLD. They were smart enough to grab it, at least.
3) There are bits of software that are stupid and will freak out if it sees a non-normal TLD. I had one that freaked the gently caress out at .wan
4) AFAIK, there's nothing like RFC1918 for "safe" TLD's to use for your own stuff, so don't make any up.

EDIT: Nope, it wasn't int company that was saved by forsight, it was someone else. Too tired to remember straight

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 31, 2014

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
A request came in: approximately 110 image CDs need to be burned in the next two weeks.

I suppose I should have been suspicious about the massive stacks of blank CDs that appeared last week. Not sure whether to be pissed off or overjoyed at the chance of ~9 hours worth of pay.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

nitrogen posted:

I am not an AD guy, but thats what i recommend. (using a subdomain of a domain you own) Here's why:

1) RFC 6762: .local is for MDNS. Don't use it for other things.
2) IANA is drunk with power and creating new TLD's all the time. A company i worked for used .int, which was later snatched up by IANA as a TLD. They were smart enough to grab it, at least.
3) There are bits of software that are stupid and will freak out if it sees a non-normal TLD. I had one that freaked the gently caress out at .wan
4) AFAIK, there's nothing like RFC1918 for "safe" TLD's to use for your own stuff, so don't make any up.

EDIT: Nope, it wasn't int company that was saved by forsight, it was someone else. Too tired to remember straight

another reason is that after next year certificate authorities will not issue certificates for any hostname that can not be externally verified.
http://www.digicert.com/internal-names.htm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nitrogen posted:

I call bullshit because

Unless you really are upset because you were running a network between when the domain name concept was implemented in 1985 and .int specifically was created in 1988...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just picturing some sysadmin panicking because all his domains were configured as corporate.xxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm just picturing some sysadmin panicking because all his domains were configured as corporate.xxx

I can only hope this happened at the law firm of morrison foster...

• Locked thread