Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
SURE LGS RECCOMENDATION.

Normally I play in West Palm Beach's Past Present Future Comics. It's mostly draft, but the last FNM of the month is Standard. Prize support is OK, but they don't sell singles as they share real estate with a poo poo ton of comics, Heroclix, and Yu-Gi-Oh, the latter is what makes most of their money. Still, the regular crowd there is small, knows each other, and is a pretty nice group of guys.

The better overall Magic place is a little further up North, in Stuart. It's really nice, sells stuff at BELOW MSRP and hosts events all throughout the weekend. It used to be a Yoga studio so it's got this super clean vibe to it. However, it's only open Thursday through Sunday (and opens at 4 on weekdays), and really easy to miss.

Mexican Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Works on my machine.

It is but that's part of the charm.

Well yes they just fixed it about 10 minutes ago.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Holy crap Grindstone going to 1 Life with a tapped DRS with an opponent's Brainstorm on the stack :swoon:.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Holy crap Grindstone going to 1 Life with a tapped DRS with an opponent's Brainstorm on the stack :swoon:.

That was so awesome. He bluffed the Spirit Guide too, and if the Brainstorm hadn't happened he'd have lost. Amazing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

toadee posted:

Is it just me or is it completely absurd that two people are sitting feet from each other, playing Magic via a lovely internet client?

I'm pretty sure this is literally a joke straight from 1999.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
And now Sphinx of the Steel Wind attacking, racing two mongooses! :swoon:

It's a pet card of mine and I don't have a lot of those, okay.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
For stores on Long Island, I feel like Empire Gaming is definitely one of the better stores on the Island. Brothers Grim is solid but they never really have IQs or much beyond the usual FNM-esque tournaments and prereleases.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ScarletBrother posted:

I'll buy all of your Voices for $5 in October.

Sold already, and it should have been clear from my post that I am the one who will be buying them back in October.

BXCX posted:

What usually happens with foils of chase mythics at rotation? I want to pick up foils of Voice and an Archangel of Thune for EDH but I'm not in a rush. Voice is sitting at ~$70 right now and Archangel is sitting at ~$50. Will they stay close to that since they're fringe playable in Pod or will they tank just as hard? I just picked up a Sublime Archangel for $17, which from what I recall is well below what she was worth in standard even though I'm sure her price is propped up somewhat by the Angel Crowd.

While I'm not in the foils market, the typical pattern is the same. Drop in price, then rise given eternal playability. The year after they rotate out is usually the best time to pick them up.

Kabanaw posted:

I'm sure that Voice's price is being propped up by its inclusion in tier 2 standard decks and not by its place in a tier 1 modern deck.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but it's three main factors: use in Standard, casual appeal, and use in Modern. Only cards like Liliana of the Veil did not have the big Standard rotation price drop because of eternal playability, and cards like Avacyn Angel of Hope because of casual playability. I don't think Voice of Resurgence will be an outlier like those, maybe closer to Thundermaw Hellkite or Past in Flames.

Of course if it's November and they haven't dropped below $10 I'll still rebuy because I like the card.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I know we've gone on a bit about Legacy pricing people out of the format, but I just found this sobering image.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
To be fair, BUG Delver is basically a who's who of the most expensive cards in the game. Multiples or playsets of Underground Sea, Tarmogoyf, Liliana, Bob, Force of Will, Wasteland and Force of Will, and like 8-9 fetchlands on top.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's motorcycle money to me, but I can't begrudge anyone for their hobbies when I've spent 400 dollars on boxing gloves.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They just had to restart the feature match because the computer running the beta had no stops set on Anssi Alkio's machine so it just straight skipped his first turn.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Boco_T posted:

They just had to restart the feature match because the computer running the beta had no stops set on Anssi Alkio's machine so it just straight skipped his first turn.

He should file for reimbursement.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

To be fair, BUG Delver is basically a who's who of the most expensive cards in the game. Multiples or playsets of Underground Sea, Tarmogoyf, Liliana, Bob, Force of Will, Wasteland and Force of Will, and like 8-9 fetchlands on top.

So's Shardless BUG and they are two of the most consistently appearing Top8 decks.

Then you've got the other Delver Variants, Show variants, XXXBlades, and Miracles which are all 85-90% as much.

It's not an anomaly. It's the marginal front-runner.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Toshimo posted:

So's Shardless BUG and they are two of the most consistently appearing Top8 decks.

Then you've got the other Delver Variants, Show variants, XXXBlades, and Miracles which are all 85-90% as much.

It's not an anomaly. It's the marginal front-runner.

I'm working on Miracles at the moment, and Sneak&Show is a much more long-term project (I can't just have one deck or I'll get bored).

It's incredibly expensive, but it's comforting to know I only have to do it ONCE.

That said, I'm not actually spending any money on this, but trading/selling aggressively out of my existing Standard/Modern collection and doing proxy/token commissions (just like my cube, which I think I invested a grand total of like $300 into). It just takes a LOT of patience and work.

To each their own, but I'd never get into this format if I actually had to dump 3 grand out of my wallet into it, I'd rather take a really nice vacation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

Maybe they'll work on un-loving their piece of poo poo client now.

Or not.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Or not.

Obviously the solution is to cancel all of the mtgo championships, and then re do them in 6 months then cancel them again after they crap out again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

lol

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

AnacondaHL posted:

Sold already, and it should have been clear from my post that I am the one who will be buying them back in October.

While I'm not in the foils market, the typical pattern is the same. Drop in price, then rise given eternal playability. The year after they rotate out is usually the best time to pick them up.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but it's three main factors: use in Standard, casual appeal, and use in Modern. Only cards like Liliana of the Veil did not have the big Standard rotation price drop because of eternal playability, and cards like Avacyn Angel of Hope because of casual playability. I don't think Voice of Resurgence will be an outlier like those, maybe closer to Thundermaw Hellkite or Past in Flames.

Of course if it's November and they haven't dropped below $10 I'll still rebuy because I like the card.

Even Thundermaw barely dropped below 10 dollars and it sees a tiny amount of play in Modern. Voice sees consistent play in one of the most popular decks in the format.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kabanaw posted:

Even Thundermaw barely dropped below 10 dollars and it sees a tiny amount of play in Modern. Voice sees consistent play in one of the most popular decks in the format.

However, Thundermaw is a dragon. Never underestimate the power of the casual crowd.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Oh...oh my...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4UHBsdmwk

That sure is a thing to do with an audio cable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

Obviously the solution is to cancel all of the mtgo championships, and then re do them in 6 months then cancel them again after they crap out again.

Not sure if this will help, might need to shut off DEs and bring them back with a worse payout again just in case.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Snacksmaniac posted:

Works on my machine.

It is but that's part of the charm.

The best part is how after the match, they both have no idea what to do. Take off the headphones, stand around awkwardly, maybe shake hands across the wide table. It's always awkward.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Niton posted:

However, Thundermaw is a dragon. Never underestimate the power of the casual crowd.

"Being a mythic rare dragon" has very little to do with the price.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Typhus733 posted:

Oh...oh my...

Everybody click on this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Everybody click on this.

EVIL GORGON.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Toxx yourself if you really believe that

Honestly though, Voice is almost worthless in Legacy, and will continue to be until Swords to Plowshares stops being the best removal spell in the format. The only driving force behind it will be Modern, and I bet it will be found easily for $10-12 for at least a year or so after it rotates.
e: I think it will be found for that price on ebay consistently, not the average price on TCG or Starcity.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Typhus733 posted:

Oh...oh my...

and all of the sudden, the MOCS isn't the worst thing I've seen for Magic on video this week

also, goon "Revo" is currently playing in the MOCS right now. the livestream itself is largely unwatchable due to the beta client & screen layout, but the commentary is really freaking good!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

Honestly though, Voice is almost worthless in Legacy, and will continue to be until Swords to Plowshares stops being the best removal spell in the format. The only driving force behind it will be Modern, and I bet it will be found easily for $10-12 for at least a year or so after it rotates.

Pod and Splinter Twin are both worthless in Legacy, and are holding value on Modern alone, and those were rares (not mythics), from sets much more loved than Dragon's Maze. I don't think Voice will fall below 15$, and I'd be very surprised if it reached 10$.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Or not.

Executive Producer of Magic Online Mike Turian decided the way to rectify this mistake was for players to conceed match, reshuffle and start fresh, when the opponent had a killer opening hand & was on the play.

It's fairly embarrassing. I sort of get why they haven't heavily promoted the MOCS this year.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Then again, how did Balefire Dragon get to be $4-$5 card?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Typhus733 posted:

Oh...oh my...

The fighting game style life totals at the top are a nice touch.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Entropic posted:

Also, the completely junk mythic dragon posted has a TCG mid of $1.87. If it was a rare it'd be $0.10 and if it were a mythic that was not a dragon it'd be maybe $0.30.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

My guess is that it's pretty powerful in a few EDH decks, I know it's pretty great in Mayael and I would guess it's not bad in Kaalia either.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Because that effect is Timmy as gently caress.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AnacondaHL posted:

Past in Flames is a pretty bad example. It was a dollar in paper a month ago until Richmond pushed it up, along with stuff like Pyromancer Ascension. It is one of the few cards much more expensive online (because Storm is cheaper, more prevalent, and easier to play online.) Thundermaw is easily the most powerful dragon ever printed, so its hard to compare to other crappy dragon rares.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Past in Flames is a pretty bad example. It was a dollar in paper a month ago until Richmond pushed it up, along with stuff like Pyromancer Ascension. It is one of the few cards much more expensive online (because Storm is cheaper, more prevalent, and easier to play online.) Thundermaw is easily the most powerful dragon ever printed, so its hard to compare to other crappy dragon rares.

Storm did way better at Pro Tour Born of the Gods than it did at Richmond. Richmond featured a lot of Pod at the top.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Pod and Splinter Twin are both worthless in Legacy, and are holding value on Modern alone, and those were rares (not mythics), from sets much more loved than Dragon's Maze. I don't think Voice will fall below 15$, and I'd be very surprised if it reached 10$.

Just looking through the first thirty or so most recent results on TC Decks for Birthing Pod in modern have Voice as a 2 of most often, occasionally a 1 or 3 of and a couple play it not at all. When the namesake card of the deck was 8-10 dollars until recently I find it hard to believe that a decent supporting card will remain as expensive as the integral 4-of, rarity aside. And I suppose I should have clarified in my earlier post, I believe it will hit $10 in that you could reasonably find them for that price on ebay to pick up your playset over a few weeks, not the TCG average or anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

Just looking through the first thirty or so most recent results on TC Decks for Birthing Pod in modern have Voice as a 2 of most often, occasionally a 1 or 3 of and a couple play it not at all. When the namesake card of the deck was 8-10 dollars until recently I find it hard to believe that a decent supporting card will remain as expensive as the integral 4-of, rarity aside. And I suppose I should have clarified in my earlier post, I believe it will hit $10 in that you could reasonably find them for that price on ebay to pick up your playset over a few weeks, not the TCG average or anything.

Counterpoint - Pod and Twin are rares, while Voice and Archangel are mythics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint - Pod and Twin are rares, while Voice and Archangel are mythics.

Pretty much my point, there's less demand, but it's rarer, so it would kinda balance itself out.

• Locked thread