Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Any tips for Diablo 2? I got it two years ago but never did play it much. I feel like I have to rectify that now that I like a bunch of diabloclones/diablo 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Luisfe posted:

Any tips for Diablo 2? I got it two years ago but never did play it much. I feel like I have to rectify that now that I like a bunch of diabloclones/diablo 3

If you're just doing a single run for storyline/single player then do whatever, though I suggest getting a maphack. Blizzard did supposedly ban some CD keys for it so be warned though I doubt they care too much anymore.

If you plan to get heavily into the game, keep in mind there is no skill resetting like in diablo 3 so if you waste either attribute points or skill points your character is pretty much garbage on the highest difficulty. The game is very min/max based so do look up guides before playing. Not quite sure on the current version but your first class will most likely want to be a sorceress for their magic find run ability.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm going to play Sleeping Dogs again but I haven't touched it in forever. Any tips?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Cyks posted:

If you're just doing a single run for storyline/single player then do whatever, though I suggest getting a maphack. Blizzard did supposedly ban some CD keys for it so be warned though I doubt they care too much anymore.

If you plan to get heavily into the game, keep in mind there is no skill resetting like in diablo 3 so if you waste either attribute points or skill points your character is pretty much garbage on the highest difficulty. The game is very min/max based so do look up guides before playing. Not quite sure on the current version but your first class will most likely want to be a sorceress for their magic find run ability.

There are actually skill respecs now (stat too? I don't remember). You get one free per act after doing the first quest, and you can get an unlimited number more based on rare drops in hell mode. So go ahead and play your gimmicky but fun character and rest assured that you can "fix" it later.

My favorite builds now that you can respec are the elemental paladin auras. Start with fire and respec to frost, then respec to lightning. But the easiest build is by far a Necromancer with a focus on minions. Just pump skeletons and skeleton masteries, grab a curse or two and just slowly walk forward to victory

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Cyks posted:

If you plan to get heavily into the game, keep in mind there is no skill resetting like in diablo 3

This is no longer true.

If you plan to play on the higher difficulties I'd recommend a caster. They're much less item dependent. If you just want to play through normal pick whatever looks interesting because pretty much anything will get you there.

Runes and gems cannot be unsocketed without destroying everything socketed into that item. Gems are mostly worthless save lategame crafting but there are some cheap runewords that are great for low level characters. Arreat Summit has a list of all of the runewords, items, skills, etc. It's a very useful resource.

You can hotkey skills by hovering over them and pressing one of the keys you assigned to be a skill hotkey. This trips up people on occasion.

The defense statistic is mostly worthless unless you have obscene amounts of it.

The "ideal" build for almost every character is 0 energy, the minimum amount of dex and str your equipment requires, everything else in vit. Now that you can respec this isn't a big deal.

Mercenaries are awesome if you keep them leveled and give them decent equipment. An act 2 mercenary can basically solo act 2 normal for you. You can also give them potions (shift + right click iirc).

Gold and gambling are mostly useless these days. Save your gold for the rare piece of useful equipment from vendors but don't worry about it too much. If you do play a caster you might get lucky and find a wand or something with +3 to a skill you use.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Trap Assassin was also pretty nuts, but I haven't played D2 in years so I have no idea how the game has changed since and what the current great builds are.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just to add a bit more advice to the KOTOR chat, if you start Scoundrel you get Sneak Attack as you level up, essentially meaning you can get free hits on things that are stunned, damage goes up as you increase it. Now once you become a Jedi you still have whatever levels of Sneak Attack you got as a Scoundrel, Light Side powers are all about stunning and locking people down(except for droids who you will royally gently caress up even if they make the save on Destroy Droid,which you should always get even as dark side because boy are there alot of droid enemies) All the various powers you get count the enemy as stunned and gives you your Sneak Attack bonuses.

So go Jedi Consular and pump up i believe it's Willpower to make your saves more difficult and Charisma so you have a bigger mana pool. Cast Stasis Field or even Force Whirlwind on a dude, he can't do poo poo while you do a pretty much guaranteed to hit Power Attack that will hurt a lot.

Not sure if you can use the Dark Side equivalent powers (Choke,Kill,etc) and still have this effect but it might be worth a try.

Better still, go Scoundrel->Guardian, because Force Leap *always* counts as a Sneak Attack. Then just bounce around the battlefield, doing *absurd* amounts of damage to enemies, and usually stunning them with your first hit. You barely even need force powers.

(Also, 8-12 is a terrible idea for a Scoundrel->X at least, because all your good stuff comes on odd levels. I mean, game is easy, so whatever, but if you really care, you can see all the breakdowns here: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/Experience )

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I'm going to play Sleeping Dogs again but I haven't touched it in forever. Any tips?

Melee is easy is hell. You can win just about every fight with the counter button only but that's for boring nerds. Mix up your combos and don't get hit so that you can build up your Triad score easy. If there's an environmental hazard, wait until your target is at 1/4 health (you'll see when you lock-on under their feet) to ensure that it's not wasted. Start with the bottom branch since that doesn't up your damage and make getting Triad score more of a pain in the rear end. You can hit Level 10, it just takes a lot of patience in fights.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Barudak posted:

The first time you are in Besaid and leaving, talk to the dog. It has a unique extra overdrive for your starting Aeon something that will never happen again in the game so who knows why this one does it.

In the vanilla US release, I remember being able to go back for this :confused:

If I missed it on the way out, is it gone forever in the re-release?

Also, you scrubs, you've got a second chance to whoop the Goers' guddamn asses for the first time. DO IT.
  • Switch the control to "Manual" as soon as you can
  • Don't bother with marks or techcopy for this match, your goal is loving VICTORY, not education
  • Tidus and Wakka are stellar shooters, but don't think Dotta can't score a goal
  • If you end up ahead, go Right Side and babysit Keepa. Don't smash the controller when some smug Goer breaks three of your dudes and shoots for 14 right in front of your goal, though. Fuckers.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

WarLocke posted:

Whenever you get into unarmed combat you are required to scream like you are in a Bruce Lee movie :colbert: Doubly so if you are doing the Zodiac Tournament.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

In the vanilla US release, I remember being able to go back for this :confused:

If I missed it on the way out, is it gone forever in the re-release?

No no, I'm just saying only Valefor has receives a second overdrive. None of the other Aeons have one so you shouldn't need to search in other cities for them.

Also; in the re-release if you don't want to have to face superbosses you absolutely must do all cloister of trials and get the Destruction Sphere treasures from them on the first go around. If you don't you will be in for a nasty, nasty surprise when you have the airship and can backtrack freely.

Also when you defeat the keeper of the final Aeon behind where you fought is a chest containing a portion of a characters ultimate weapon. If you don't snag it one of the absolute toughest superbosses will be guarding it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 28, 2014

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

WarLocke posted:

Drug busts are easier if you arrive in a car and slam said car into as many enemies as possible.

The dates you can go on are quick, easy and well worth it since they add the locations of collectibles to your map.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Yip Yips posted:

This is no longer true.

If you plan to play on the higher difficulties I'd recommend a caster. They're much less item dependent. If you just want to play through normal pick whatever looks interesting because pretty much anything will get you there.

Runes and gems cannot be unsocketed without destroying everything socketed into that item. Gems are mostly worthless save lategame crafting but there are some cheap runewords that are great for low level characters. Arreat Summit has a list of all of the runewords, items, skills, etc. It's a very useful resource.

You can hotkey skills by hovering over them and pressing one of the keys you assigned to be a skill hotkey. This trips up people on occasion.

The defense statistic is mostly worthless unless you have obscene amounts of it.

The "ideal" build for almost every character is 0 energy, the minimum amount of dex and str your equipment requires, everything else in vit. Now that you can respec this isn't a big deal.

Mercenaries are awesome if you keep them leveled and give them decent equipment. An act 2 mercenary can basically solo act 2 normal for you. You can also give them potions (shift + right click iirc).

Gold and gambling are mostly useless these days. Save your gold for the rare piece of useful equipment from vendors but don't worry about it too much. If you do play a caster you might get lucky and find a wand or something with +3 to a skill you use.

Addendum to my earlier post:

Your chance to block with a shield is based on the shield's block rate and dex (a higher block rate on a shield will require less dex to reach max block). Max block is always 75%. There are definitely builds that benefit from maxing block. You can see your current block % by hovering over your defense statistic in the character screen.

I also want to revise my character selection advice to just say don't play a barbarian. They're the only class that doesn't have at least one build that can beat hell difficulty without good equipment (without a shitload of patience at least). Necro, sorc, and paladin are the easiest, followed by druid and assassin, then amazon, then barbarian in a distant last.

The reason defense sucks is that it effectively doesn't do anything if you're running. You're always going to be running. Block is unaffected by running. This is one of the reasons that block can be very useful.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 28, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if it's been mentioned but in KOTOR kill droid makes the final boss trivial. I had some trouble with him because it's a solo fight and he has ways of getting full health instantly unless you devote considerable time into destroying his machines. This came after one-shotting Rancor's so be careful of this literal late game hurdle.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Luisfe posted:

Cyks posted:

There are skill respecs now, one easily-obtained respec per difficulty, since the latest patch a few years back.

For D2 tips, I'll repost some general advice I gave to someone a while back. First paragraph is about his Barbarian character, rest is more general.

Any random skills will suffice for normal, in nightmare you'll want to respec. For Barbarian, Whirlwind is probably the most noob friendly skill. Put a lot of points in Battle Orders and keep it up at all times. Shout you can put a few in, every other war cry is a one point wonder at best. Don't put any points in energy - mana will be low for awhile but eventually you'll get gear to remedy that. Barbarians benefit the most from pumping every point possible into health.

Hell difficulty is incredibly difficult for most characters that rely on self found gear and don't know all the systems inside out and minmax like crazy, and the post-hell content is virtually impossible for most classes without very specialized builds and gear, so unless you're willing to devote large amounts of time and/or money, consider Nightmare the end game.

If you do want to play through hell, blessed hammer paladin or tri-damage trap assassin are the best classes for a self-found gear, solo playthrough.

My general recommended build is trap assassin; combines survivability, three element damage (so nothing is immune in Hell) at the expense of outright killing speed. With the respec ability, in normal and nightmare you want to get Wake of Fire maxed as soon as possible, with a couple points in Shadow Master, Burst of Speed (with Fade as a backup if your resistances are bad in nightmare), weapon block if you go dual claw, a point or two in cloak of shadows and mind blast. This should get you through at least Act 3 of Nightmare difficulty without any problem whatsoever and with good gear, all the way through Nightmare.

When you respec for hell, basically the same except max out Fire Blast, Lightning Sentry, Death Sentry (those will be your three main attacks), 1 each in every shadow skill (except venom), go for as many +skills as you can get on items, you'll probably go dual claw (try to shop some decent claws in Hell Anya -- what this means is, at some point in the questline a red portal will open by Anya, in the Act 4 town. Now, every time you leave town the shop items reset. So an easy way to shop for good claw weapons is to jump in the portal, check Anya, repeat. This can be tedious but is extremely helpful. Minimum you want is to have dual +3 to trap skill claws on your main loadout, and dual +3 to shadow skill claws on weapon switch -- you hit W to switch weapons when casting your shadow master and fade (or burst of speed), then switch back to your main for your actual fighting) and eventually get shadow master to about 3 hard points, weapon block to 2-3 hard points, keep the rest of the shadow skills at one point (again, nothing in Venom) and the rest into a trap synergy. Fade will be your main passive unless you have godly gear that maxes your resists, then change to Burst of Speed. Focus on getting + attack speed gear and (obviously) +skill gear. Socket your trap claws with Shaels. Your main attack profile will be Mind blast / mind blast / mind blast groups of enemies, throw down 4 lightning sentries and one death sentry, and lob fire blast bombs into the group. Use Cloak of Shadows when necessary, keep Fade (or Burst of Speed) and Shadow Master up at all times.

The game gets TOUGH in Hell. Like I said above, you might want to consider Nightmare the endgame -- particularly if you're soloing. If you do want to solo Hell, I highly recommend looking up breakpoints and weapon stats so you can hit certain Increased Attack Speed breakpoints (i.e., it doesn't scale linearly -- adding 10% increased attack speed might not increase your trap laying speed at all, your speed only gets faster if you reach a certain total amount, called breakpoints). Farm gear a lot -- one really great place is the first waypoint in Act 5 -- there's a superunique boss immediately above and below the waypoint, can run them both in 20 seconds once you start doing decent damage.

Also look up runewords and keep an eye out for socketed gear you can make runewords with.

And never, ever, ever put any points into Energy -- or you can for the first difficulty, but then respec and put the bare minimum for gear requirements into those stats and the rest into health. Find other ways of getting mana through gear, or through the Insight runeword for your mercenary.

And use Act 2 mercenaries. You can equip them with gear by clicking on their portrait. You want a defensive merc -- get one in Normal, and then get a new one in Nightmare because he has a better aura that is hugely helpful. Keep this one the rest of the game. If they die, talk to the mercenary townfolk person and rez them. Give them an Insight polearm (if you're hurting for mana), some decent armor and helm, and you'll have a much easier time.

A tri-damage trapper can pretty easily run Hell solo, but has no chance at the post-hell content. But really, almost no class does without godly gear that you simply won't have without spending :20bux: on d2jsp and building a nearly perfect character. Don't worry about it too much ... and if you're playing offline, it's not even an option to try and play the content, it's for online ladder characters only.

Oh a last note: It's not really clear but you can assign Function keys to your skills and then scroll through them with your mouse. Makes it nice and easy to throw those traps out quickly. Just click the skills, then while hovering the mouse over a particular skill press F1, F2, etc.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 28, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WarLocke posted:

It's a pretty friendly game, there isn't a whole lot to know that the game doesn't do a good job of teaching you.

What comes to mind for me:

- Spend your first cop upgrade on the slim jim that lets you instantly unlock cars without getting heat. It's a nice quality of life thing.

- There are two sort of "advanced" enemy types: Brawlers, who are tough melee fighters, and grapplers, who will grapple you constantly. Brawlers will never block a grapple, and Grapples will never block a punch. Killing Brawlers is pretty trivial if there's something in the environment you can use, because you can just grapple them and kill them instantly by shoving their head in a fan or something. Grapplers can be annoying because the timing on the QTEs to get out of their holds can be a little tight (especially if it takes you by surprise), so take advantage of the fact that they never block and beat the poo poo out of them ASAP.

- Outrunning cops is hard. Ramming them to death is not, and causes all your heat to disappear once you've disabled the final car that was chasing you. QED, ramming is better than running when dealing with cop chases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarLocke posted:

Get the jade statues as you go and learn the leg-breaking move at the Dojo. It helps your rep and it's a great way to get a large group of enemies to back off in fear for a moment. Plus it never stops being funny watching a bunch of hardened thugs just wince in sympathy when you crack some poor bastard's knee.

Incidentally, I always find the training sections for those moves hilarious,just because your teacher's basically put his best students against you knowing they'll be going to the ICU within the hour. I always made sure to break an arm AND a leg, regardless of whichever move is actually being taught. For practice, of course :unsmigghh:.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the jade statues as you go

Emphasize on this: some of the jade statues are locked in places which -annoyingly- are visible, but not obtainable until later in the story. You will know when these statues become available, and before that there is no way to obtain them, so just keep playing.

Edit: Also, the health shrines are not used to recover health, they are collectibles which increase the max health. Always activate them when you see one. For some reason I completely missed this part, it was either poorly explained or I missed some popup, and had to spend one session just backtracking.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 28, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Emphasize on this: some of the jade statues are locked in places which -annoyingly- are visible, but not obtainable until later in the story. You will know when these statues become available, and before that there is no way to obtain them, so just keep playing.

It's also worth noting that you'll come across every single jade statue in the game during the course of one of the story missions, so don't worry about scrambling around on your own to find them all at once; as Der Kyhe said, some of them are shut off to you until you get to the story mission anyway.

I'm not sure why the game did it that way instead of just letting you unlock new moves as a direct reward for completing the mission, but whatever, it works I guess.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oh and one other thing. If you own the Zodiac Tournament, all of the collectible statues are in or near the path the story requires you to take, save for one. The last one needs a boat, or patience to swim around the island.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Did they hella buff the difficulty in D2 or something? This sounds completely different from what I played like a decade ago.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

KoB posted:

Did they hella buff the difficulty in D2 or something? This sounds completely different from what I played like a decade ago.

After everyone started botting and demanding a good challenge with all their ill-gotten gear, Blizzard responded by massively buffing up Hell difficulty. If you don't cheeze your way into some crazy gear most builds literally can't beat it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
On that topic, any general tips for Diablo 3? There's nothing on the wiki, and I've always avoided the series because it's GRIMDARK DARKGRIM LOOK AT ALL THE BLOOD AND GIBS but I'm trying to get over it now that Diablo 3's gameplay has been fixed, since the combat has really satisfying impact to it. Specific class tips are fine too, I've mostly played Wizard so far when I played around but I plan to try out all of them.

Also, if there are any mods to make the game even more colourful, let me know. I like the aesthetic but it can get a little monochrome at times outside of the joke level.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

KoB posted:

Yes. For example many monsters are now physical immune, which is why playing an untwinked barbarian is a nightmare. It's not really that bad with some foreknowledge but it's much more difficult than it used to be.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

On that topic, any general tips for Diablo 3? There's nothing on the wiki, and I've always avoided the series because it's GRIMDARK DARKGRIM LOOK AT ALL THE BLOOD AND GIBS but I'm trying to get over it now that Diablo 3's gameplay has been fixed, since the combat has really satisfying impact to it. Specific class tips are fine too, I've mostly played Wizard so far when I played around but I plan to try out all of them.

Also, if there are any mods to make the game even more colourful, let me know. I like the aesthetic but it can get a little monochrome at times outside of the joke level.

I just started playing as well, and I'd recommend starting on at least Hard. I had never played the series before, and Normal was a complete joke, most bosses didn't lay a finger/claw/weird demon appendage on me. I'm not good at this game either. It gets a little less monochrome after you get out of Tristram (Act 1), but it's still a little samey. If you want some good comic relief, take Lyndon with you, or if you want hilarious overreactions to literally everything use Kormac. Also, Witch Doctor is super fun, he can summon flying skulls that vomit acid, zombie bears, throw exploding frogs at dudes, and turn into a Chicken Grenade.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I just started playing as well, and I'd recommend starting on at least Hard. I had never played the series before, and Normal was a complete joke, most bosses didn't lay a finger/claw/weird demon appendage on me. I'm not good at this game either. It gets a little less monochrome after you get out of Tristram (Act 1), but it's still a little samey. If you want some good comic relief, take Lyndon with you, or if you want hilarious overreactions to literally everything use Kormac. Also, Witch Doctor is super fun, he can summon flying skulls that vomit acid, zombie bears, throw exploding frogs at dudes, and turn into a Chicken Grenade.

I'd wait till you have 2-3 legenadaries before switching to hard. As a shield crusader before getting a good weapon hard was just tedious as gently caress while I chipped away at mobs who couldn't damage me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

pentyne posted:

I'd wait till you have 2-3 legenadaries before switching to hard. As a shield crusader before getting a good weapon hard was just tedious as gently caress while I chipped away at mobs who couldn't damage me.

It's a matter of taste and patience but "2-3 legendaries" is an overexaggeration, you can do the whole game on Torment right off the bat without any particular legendaries if you like, although it'll obviously be slow without good weapon drops/crafting and it isn't available to new players.

Either way changing the difficulty is really easy so it's a simple matter of increasing it if it's too easy and vice versa, I think everyone can figure out what works for them personally.

The most important thing about Diablo III is to go through the Options carefully. Particularly Advanced Tooltips and Elective Mode are must-enables. The latter allows you to freely customize your skills, otherwise you're always limited to one skill from each category for no particular reason. To use two skills from the same category, click on the skill you want to replace in the skills menu and then use the arrows to scroll to the category and skill you want to use.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 28, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

KoB posted:

From a decade ago? Yeah, it's a pretty different game -- especially if you played before patch 1.10, which was where the first big difficulty boost happened.

For many classes to be solo viable in Hell while maintaining any kind of viable killing speed and not skipping 1/3 of mobs due to immunities, a runeword called Infinity is almost a requirement for your mercenary. This runeword has 2 high runes and 2 mid-high runes which, even with the latest patch making them drop more often, are still so rare that 99% of legit players will never find one of them, let alone 2. And there's maybe a half-dozen specific builds with godly gear that can beat the Uber-Tristram post-endgame content.

e: That said, I'm also approaching it from a hardcore player's perspective since that's all I played, post-1.09. I played pretty heavily from 2004-2009 and didn't have a single death due to mobs. My first character every ladder reset was that tri-damage trapper I described above. Not a great farmer in general but very safe and dependable.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 29, 2014

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm about to give Final Fantasy VII a go (P.C version if thta makes an difference) I've never played a FF game before, anything I should know going in?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Grabbed Arkham Origins in the Batman sale. I've played the previous Arkham games so I (presumably) know the basics, but is there anything specific for this one? I've heard there are some issues with bugs, and with stuff being uncompletable after a certain point.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Yip Yips posted:

The reason defense sucks is that it effectively doesn't do anything if you're running. You're always going to be running. Block is unaffected by running. This is one of the reasons that block can be very useful.
That's actually not quite true—your block chance is reduced to (!) one third of its usual value while you're running. That still makes it more useful than defence in this context, of course, but if you're playing a character that relies on blocking to avoid taking too much damage, you really don't want to be running near enemies at all if you can help it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tea Bone posted:

I'm about to give Final Fantasy VII a go (P.C version if thta makes an difference) I've never played a FF game before, anything I should know going in?

You're going to get a Materia called Enemy Skill (or E.Skill) fairly early on in the room where you get Red XIII as a party member. Make sure it's always equipped on someone, because there's a lot of great skills you can get for it (they're learned when a character with E.Skill equipped is hit by said skill). It won't really be usable until midway through the first disc when you get someone that can mind-control enemies though because a lot of the best ones are buff spells (Big Guard and White Wind can be found off the Beachplugs and Zemzeletts wandering along the coastline near where you meet said character and are well worth your time getting).

When you get onto the world map and visit the Chocobo Ranch, talk to the Chocobo in the foreground of the paddock. Pick the right conversation options and you'll net your first summon spell.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 30, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

MMAgCh posted:

That's actually not quite true—your block chance is reduced to (!) one third of its usual value while you're running. That still makes it more useful than defence in this context, of course, but if you're playing a character that relies on blocking to avoid taking too much damage, you really don't want to be running near enemies at all if you can help it.

You're right. It's been a while since I played.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost

-Do not blow your boost meter. It is what helps you block and leaves you vulnerable if you deplete it.
-The 2000 costs are usually the best of both worlds and provide a good balance between health, damage and meter usage.
-If in doubt, RX-78 is an excellent starter unit.
-If you care about tiers, the Gundam Extreme Vs website has them. Also check out the Unlimited Brent Works site for basic strategy and other info.
-Gundam Fight, Ready? GO!

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and Risen 2? Risen 2, mainly. It's been kicking my arse at almost all opportunities.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Anything for Two Worlds 2? I played it a while ago but I'm pretty sure I made a horrible character, so I'd like to avoid that this time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anything I need to know for Vagrant Story or any of the three Sleeping Dogs DLC's?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything I need to know for Vagrant Story or any of the three Sleeping Dogs DLC's?

Regarding Vagrant Story I'm sure someone will give you a breakdown of weapon building and how to cheese the battle system but

1. Don't spam simple combos for too long because you'll
2. Build up your risk really quickly and this will kill you which leads to
3. Save. All the loving time. You know the RPG trope that the boss is at the end of the dungeon after a save room? Vagrant Story will throw a boss at you two rooms in then another several rooms later because you took a left at the fork instead of a right and they decided a giant crab should be there. Or maybe you enter a new area and the door locks behind you, the save point is at the end but the boss is the third to last room because why the gently caress not?

e: The final boss has an instant death move with a long animation and tiny window to block. Before fighting him I'd recommend watching a video to see it because I died maybe 6 times before I got the timing down and this isn't a one time move, he'll do it multiple times.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 30, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

al-azad posted:

Regarding Vagrant Story I'm sure someone will give you a breakdown of weapon building and how to cheese the battle system but

I don't think cheesing systems is very good advice for people new to a game. Anyway, the most important thing is to not try and hammer bosses and enemies with a weapon that doesn't work on them because it'll take a thousand years. Try to hang on to and craft weapons of varying affinities so that you don't face a wall when your Ultimate Slayer of Humans and Beasts hits a dragon for 1 damage. There are spells that temporarily rise a weapon's affinity though, they'll make your life a whole lot easier. Affinities are also affected by the things you face, so if you whack a lot of humans with a weapon it's going to become more effective against humans but also less effective against some other creature type.

Also be careful in the Snowfly Forest, that place is a giant maze and you don't want to get killed by a boss there after you've successfully navigated your way though it.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anything for Inazuma Eleven? I see a whole bunch of poorly documented stats and things. Like why wouldn't I max strength on a shot? I assume it takes more FP or whatever, but yeah.