Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Rhyno posted:

I'm only gonna be there on Friday, you?

They just announced Brian Posehn is doing standup Friday night. I kind of wish I'd held off on buying tickets for Saturday now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleepingbuddha posted:

They just announced Brian Posehn is doing standup Friday night. I kind of wish I'd held off on buying tickets for Saturday now.

I can't stay for that, I have to head back home fairly early after the show ends as there is a wedding I must attend Saturday and it's several hours in the opposite direction.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Die Laughing posted:

Liberty Comics (formerly Bob's Comics) in Roseville. They'll be celebrating their 5th anniversary on Saturday. Also, club Luna in Royal Oak is having a super hero night that night as well.

That's cool. I normally end up only going to the shops over in Washtenaw County (Vault of Midnight in A2, Fun4all in Ypsi) due to their location to me, but every once and a while I'll end up stopping by Big Ben's Comix Oasis in Allen Park too. That one's got a crap ton of old toys (70s-80s-90s eras). The staff at all three are all cool people and come highly recommended from me.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Regarding getting out of comics or not, I found that digital has really refined my comic buying experience. I was really skeptical about the format but that changed after getting a proper tablet and seeing the changes with Comixology (only problem I have is that they don't carry Dark Horse, and I refuse to use the horrible DH app). Since switching over, I've cut down on the amount of floppies cluttering my place, not to mention the convenience of being able to read new releases during my lunch break.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I dunno if you dislike everything you're buying except for one book then why are you buying those books in the first place?

Perhaps you hadn't noticed but you are posting this in a forum for comic books, an industry kept afloat by thousands of people continuing to buy their product every month out of habit.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So a goon got their comic published and it'll be at Emerald City ComicCon.

http://woohoocomic.com/comic/page-1/

http://woohoocomic.com/shop/

https://www.facebook.com/jakfaceart

If you can't see that page, the text says:

At ECCC this weekend? Pick up one of these at my table Z-10! First 10 people to buy a copy get a special edition 8 x 10 print! Be sure to pick one up quick!
It's here! The first print edition of "Woo Hoo!: Chapter One" in glorious glossy colour! This exclusive limited-run debuts at Emerald City Comic-Con this weekend. Comes signed by myself and Jakface, with some bonus goodies. Allow me to bask for a moment in all the glory my crappy phone-camera allows...

They may want their anonymity or not want to blow their own trumpet, so I won't mention their username, but trust me that they're a good person and it's good to support someone who managed to break into the industry, if you have some extra cash.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Dagda posted:

I have been in and out of comics for years dude, it's ok to take a break and then check back in. Plus you get the benefit of missing big dumb events.

Joking aside this is really the best idea for anybody. Every now and again I will dump all of the books I'm reading and it really helps, especially for Marvel/DC and the constant double shipping/event fatigue that can set in.

It also gives time to read some older stuff that you may have passed by or not have had much interest in previously.

Mister Roboto posted:

So a goon got their comic published and it'll be at Emerald City ComicCon.

http://woohoocomic.com/comic/page-1/

http://woohoocomic.com/shop/

https://www.facebook.com/jakfaceart

If you can't see that page, the text says:

At ECCC this weekend? Pick up one of these at my table Z-10! First 10 people to buy a copy get a special edition 8 x 10 print! Be sure to pick one up quick!
It's here! The first print edition of "Woo Hoo!: Chapter One" in glorious glossy colour! This exclusive limited-run debuts at Emerald City Comic-Con this weekend. Comes signed by myself and Jakface, with some bonus goodies. Allow me to bask for a moment in all the glory my crappy phone-camera allows...

They may want their anonymity or not want to blow their own trumpet, so I won't mention their username, but trust me that they're a good person and it's good to support someone who managed to break into the industry, if you have some extra cash.

It looks like a fun, colourful book so they shouldn't feel bad about pimping it out or discussing it on BSS if they want.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah, I stopped reading everything somewhere around Heroic Age. Waid's Daredevil got me back on board, the combination of that and a good new store opening. Like any hobby, you can easily get burned out. It can be good to take a break until something new catches your eye and pulls you back in.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I had a pretty well-timed break, considering I've mostly read Marvel comics. I was out from ~1992 until ~2000, so I experienced enough Liefeld to know what it's about, but I avoided the high-water mark. :smuggo:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I was pretty much out from like 1992 until 2013, so I missed a lot of good and a lot of bad, too. The only books I kept up with in the 90s were Cerebus, Sandman, and The Maxx. I've actually been having a lot of fun scooping up some of the better early Image titles lately-- you can get them for cover price or less.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

prefect posted:

I had a pretty well-timed break, considering I've mostly read Marvel comics. I was out from ~1992 until ~2000, so I experienced enough Liefeld to know what it's about, but I avoided the high-water mark. :smuggo:

But without all those #1, variant, and holographic cover issues how are you going to retire at 40 and pay for multiple yachts?

chime_on posted:

You can get them for cover price or less.

...Oh

I didn't really get into comics until around 2000 so I experienced the weird investment buying from the outside. It's still going to be a strange sight when enough people have finally thrown those issues out, when their value hits $10-30. Should only take another 30-40 years, about when everyone that bought 10 copies of a book they didn't read gets shipped off to an old folk's home for hoarding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

About how long does it take you, the generic you, to read a regular weekly comic book?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

About how long does it take you, the generic you, to read a regular weekly comic book?

About 10 minutes per issue on average, I'd guess. I like to pause after reading a page and take in the art.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
10-15 minutes for similar reasons to Hakkeshu, checking the art out after reading whatever two pages I'm at.

I actually thought about this recently with how little I actually read outside of new comic day despite it being such little time investment. I tend to burn through my new books each week while taking forever to get through my back issues. I find boxing comics away leads me to not actually reading them so now I just leave a stack next to my desk and read a few throughout the day and then put them away when I'm done.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I tend to make notes and annotations for myself when reading because of academia :spergin::hf::eng101:. For stories with an elaborate overarching plot or lots of moving parts like The Unwritten or Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, it's useful to have these notes just to keep the story straight in my head between monthly releases. It's also an excuse to go back and reread past issues when there's new developments so I feel I get my money's worth this way.

But some books definitely feel like fast reads or simply don't have a lot of story to them. The Walking Dead and Invincible, for instance, didn't seem worth the cover price when I was still reading them, and it had nothing to do with word count; Robert Kirkman absolutely crammed his panels with a deluge of wordswordswords yet there was very little content or plot per issue. Meanwhile, a book by Morrison, Moore, or Carey will feel way more dense and fulfilling while working within the same amount of pages.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

moot the hopple posted:

I tend to make notes and annotations for myself when reading because of academia :spergin::hf::eng101:. For stories with an elaborate overarching plot or lots of moving parts like The Unwritten or Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, it's useful to have these notes just to keep the story straight in my head between monthly releases. It's also an excuse to go back and reread past issues when there's new developments so I feel I get my money's worth this way.

But some books definitely feel like fast reads or simply don't have a lot of story to them. The Walking Dead and Invincible, for instance, didn't seem worth the cover price when I was still reading them, and it had nothing to do with word count; Robert Kirkman absolutely crammed his panels with a deluge of wordswordswords yet there was very little content or plot per issue. Meanwhile, a book by Morrison, Moore, or Carey will feel way more dense and fulfilling while working within the same amount of pages.

I feel like I can read the Walking Dead in <5 minutes since there is really nothing there. However, an Allred takes longer since I will be looking at the art. A Moore will take longer since I will be looking at the words and art. A Claremont will take even longer since he has so many loving words, and most are unneeded

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I feel like I can read the Walking Dead in <5 minutes since there is really nothing there. However, an Allred takes longer since I will be looking at the art. A Moore will take longer since I will be looking at the words and art. A Claremont will take even longer since he has so many loving words, and most are unneeded

Yeah, it takes me longer to read a Bachalo book because I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on. And shorter to read a Land book because I'm trying to look at the art for the absolute minimum time.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

bobkatt013 posted:

I feel like I can read the Walking Dead in <5 minutes since there is really nothing there.

There was a really dire period in its publication when they were gearing up for the television show yet still insisted on putting out an issue a month. The artwork on those issues were really slipshod, even for Adlard's fast, albeit serviceable penciling. Faces were all choppy messes that were indistinguishable from each other and backgrounds became less detailed or were omitted entirely.

The thing that put me off the book altogether was the writing, however. It got to the point where the only important things seemed to happen at the beginning and end of each issue, sandwiching a rather forgettable and aimless middle. And each issue would almost, without fail, end predictably with a cliffhanger where there would be a full page close-up on a character as they made some shocking pronouncement. I mean, having a loaded ending to each issue is kind of in the nature of serialization, but never before have I felt so overtly and inelegantly the carrot dangling in front of me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

moot the hopple posted:

There was a really dire period in its publication when they were gearing up for the television show yet still insisted on putting out an issue a month. The artwork on those issues were really slipshod, even for Adlard's fast, albeit serviceable penciling. Faces were all choppy messes that were indistinguishable from each other and backgrounds became less detailed or were omitted entirely.

The thing that put me off the book altogether was the writing, however. It got to the point where the only important things seemed to happen at the beginning and end of each issue, sandwiching a rather forgettable and aimless middle. And each issue would almost, without fail, end predictably with a cliffhanger where there would be a full page close-up on a character as they made some shocking pronouncement. I mean, having a loaded ending to each issue is kind of in the nature of serialization, but never before have I felt so overtly and inelegantly the carrot dangling in front of me.

I think the only reason I was able to get hooked on it was due to reading the phone book trades and did not have to wait month to month. Its one of those titles thats inching closer and closer to the chopping block, and being trade only.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

I feel like I can read the Walking Dead in <5 minutes since there is really nothing there.

Charlie Adlard's art is so loving boring. It's barely even worth glancing at it.

moot the hopple posted:

Same. That poo poo got so tiresome. I think the worst one was when Rick said something to the effect of "We need to be prepared to kill all these people." in a big dramatic splash cliffhanger and then the very start of the next issue was Michonne being like "Are you serious?" and Rick was like "nah".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 28, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

moot the hopple posted:

I tend to make notes and annotations for myself when reading because of academia :spergin::hf::eng101:.

You should post them here, that sounds interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Roboto posted:

I would love to see something like this for The Unwritten.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Who wants an uplifting comics story?

Today one of my seventh graders found my issues of Ms. Marvel sitting on my desk and started sneaking peeks at them during homeroom. I came over to him and he originally got scared that I was going to yell at him, but I took them out for him too look at. Most of my class is either from Pakistan or Yemen, so I explained that this was actually about a Muslim superheroine. His eyes lit up and he yelled out, "A Muslim superhero!" with the most genuine enthusiasm that I've ever heard. This caught the rest of the class's attention who had me explain Ms. Marvel to them as they huddled together and skimmed through the issues. They're ELL students who adore comics. So, while I think a lot of the book was a bit above their heads, they were so excited. And their excitement continued as they asked questions I explained to them Carol's backstory and the legacy of Ms. Marvel.

Not to fall into stereotypes, but my boys don't always express the best views about girls. So, it was nice to see them so excited to not only see a superheroine who was Muslim, but connect with a female character and get excited about Carol by association.

I spend so much time on the internet and with my nerdy friends talking about race and gender in media, and I do sometimes feel self-conscious of the notion that I'm taking it all too seriously. It was nice to have some firsthand evidence that, no, people of color and women being better represented in comics is pretty loving important.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good teacher :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Charlie Adlard's art is so loving boring. It's barely even worth glancing at it.

On anything but the Walking Dead he's fantastic. But he's obviously doing the book for the paycheck these days.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Timeless Appeal posted:

Who wants an uplifting comics story?

Today one of my seventh graders found my issues of Ms. Marvel sitting on my desk and started sneaking peeks at them during homeroom. I came over to him and he originally got scared that I was going to yell at him, but I took them out for him too look at. Most of my class is either from Pakistan or Yemen, so I explained that this was actually about a Muslim superheroine. His eyes lit up and he yelled out, "A Muslim superhero!" with the most genuine enthusiasm that I've ever heard. This caught the rest of the class's attention who had me explain Ms. Marvel to them as they huddled together and skimmed through the issues. They're ELL students who adore comics. So, while I think a lot of the book was a bit above their heads, they were so excited. And their excitement continued as they asked questions I explained to them Carol's backstory and the legacy of Ms. Marvel.

Not to fall into stereotypes, but my boys don't always express the best views about girls. So, it was nice to see them so excited to not only see a superheroine who was Muslim, but connect with a female character and get excited about Carol by association.

I spend so much time on the internet and with my nerdy friends talking about race and gender in media, and I do sometimes feel self-conscious of the notion that I'm taking it all too seriously. It was nice to have some firsthand evidence that, no, people of color and women being better represented in comics is pretty loving important.

I'm looking forward to reading this story again in the Ms. Marvel letters page. They'll probably even send you some copies of the book for your kids. If not, maybe start a fund to get some comics in those kids hands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. You should absolutely send that story to Marvel. If you get the kids to draw pictures of her, you're fuckin' in!
It'd probably help out the person at Marvel who has a real time justifying the book to the higher-ups.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 29, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Are books written by Warren Ellis not at a point where they would always sell well?

Nextwave never exactly lit up the sales charts.

Which is a CRIME.

Sundowner posted:

How is Garth Ennis' Hitman? I won the first book for £1 on ebay.

It's the best thing he ever wrote, IMHO. Vastly better than it had any real right to be.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Osamu Tezuka's secret sexy furry collection is probably the comic book story of the year. What a weird little look inside an artist's mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why would you say this and not provide a link?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pictures were posted over in the weirdest fan art thread in PYF.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It's nothing shocking really. It's just cute.

He just wanted to make some sexy mouse doodles and locked them away. No one was ever supposed to see them, but here they are, along with an essay he was writing about Otomo's Akira and a little bit of half eaten chocolate.

Here's a link to a story about it but I'm sure there are better things written about it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Mister Roboto posted:

I sometimes throw an effort post about Hickman's stuff in general marvel when I'm in the mood but I try not to clutter up the thread. I might do up a retrospective on The Unwritten when Carey finishes later this year, but that seems like homework on top of homework :/

I wish my friend would register an account here though, she's a big lit buff and loves The Unwritten.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It's nothing shocking really. It's just cute.

He just wanted to make some sexy mouse doodles and locked them away. No one was ever supposed to see them, but here they are, along with an essay he was writing about Otomo's Akira and a little bit of half eaten chocolate.

Here's a link to a story about it but I'm sure there are better things written about it.

As pointed out in the weirdest fan art threat, there's a snake eating the sexy mouse lady in the top left.

You're welcome.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As also pointed out in the thread, she's not being eaten, she's transforming into the snake. Small comfort.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
... but not much of one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If it's any consolation, I think the snake lady might be from drawings for Tezuka's Arabian Nights film, where Aladdin finds an island full of beautiful women who turn out to be snakes with tits. It's a weird loving film.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 29, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Osamu Tezuka's secret sexy furry collection is probably the comic book story of the year. What a weird little look inside an artist's mind.

I've read a lot of Tezuka, more than most comics fans, and I am completely unsurprised at the pictures. Sexy animal people turn up from time to time in his stuff.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
edit: Wrong thread. I'm A stupid moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
When you're Osamu loving Tezuka, you can draw whatever the hell you want.

• Locked thread