Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwpoZhC_sE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Darthemed posted:

Bud Fisher's Mutt & Jeff is a real classic, having started in 1907.

Mutt & Jeff is an interesting one to look in on from time to time, not because it's a laugh riot but because the current rights holders are recycling strips from maybe the 40s or the 50s but updating the occasional cultural signifiers...but not all of them. So you occasionally end up with something like "$2 for halibut? What do I look like, BRAD PITT?"

The GoComics description is a real honey, too: "Mutt and Jeff has become part of our cultural vocabulary and the strip continues to attract audiences around the world who appreciate clean, straightforward humor that doesn’t depend on local cultural awareness." Which of course means it travels better than Bloom County or Doonesbury.

Another fun fact: Pierre de Beaumont is the guy who founded the Brookstone chain, but he didn't actually have anything to do with the strip except that his mother was married to Bud Fisher for four weeks in 1925, and since they never actually divorced, she inherited the rights to the strip when Fisher finally kicked off in 1954. Considering that Fisher was completely done with actually making the strip by the 1930s (but not done with signing it or cashing the checks), it's a very appropriate end to the property.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 28, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good thing he told me what comic strip they were in otherwise I might not have recognized the most famous newspaper comic ever.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

:what:

The first Phantom polygamist story incoming!

Bandar tribe's not gonna be lacking phantoms, that's for sure.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

Considering that Fisher was completely done with actually making the strip by the 1930s (but not done with signing it or cashing the checks)

Bud Fisher was definitely rich thanks to the strip. In 1927 he was making $250,000 a year, not just from the strip, but also from merchandising. Adjusted to inflation, that's $3,317,571.80.

Basically he was Jim Davis of the day.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 28, 2014

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Darthemed posted:

And who could forget the dramatic legacy of My Cage?

I have to admit I always liked My Cage, even if the writer was wound way too tight. It also did the talking animals as a society better than Holbrook does.

Darthemed posted:

Here's what GoComics thinks you'd like if you like My Cage.

Patently untrue. :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

This story arc guest-written by DarkxKitsune666, author of fanfiction.net's world famous Sailor Moon Is My Waifu saga

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Achernar posted:

It also did the talking animals as a society better than Holbrook does.

That's a compliment up there with "Hey, he's not as crazy as Hitler."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We are one step away from Raine Dog Nancy.
I think the Junji Ito edits were preferable.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"Well, Phantom, we've all got knives and bows."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

trombone

Wait...
That cartoon isn't in any of my collections. Where did that come from?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Source of Moomin's Rage is mostly Nancy

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wait...
That cartoon isn't in any of my collections. Where did that come from?

On my copy of "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes", it's in book 1, page 274

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Beeg posted:

On my copy of "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes", it's in book 1, page 274

I don't have that one, I have all the annual collections. Did they not reprint all the comics in those?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

On the off-chance that you were being serious...

As a side note, it is surprisingly difficult to find the support group scene from "Fight Club" on Youtube.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

Office Hours :kheldragar:

Buz Sawyer

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Aatrek

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/28/2003

Ok. Whatever.

It seems to be a common occurrence in Chickweed for a character to propose marriage to his girlfriend, and then the woman runs away screaming or in some other way makes it clear that the last thing she wants to do is marry this doofus. It happens with such regularity I can't help but get the impression that Brooke thinks this is how proposals normally go.

Can't imagine how he'd get that idea.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't have that one, I have all the annual collections. Did they not reprint all the comics in those?

I don't know which it's in but I know I've read it before, and I don't have the Complete Collection either. You must have Chinese knockoff versions or something.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't remember it either, FWIW. I had the paperback collections from when I was a kid I don't have the Complete Calvin and Hobbes for some reason.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Andorra posted:

I don't know which it's in but I know I've read it before, and I don't have the Complete Collection either. You must have Chinese knockoff versions or something.

According to the database it's only in the Complete, while the following one (let's hear some water running) is in Yukon Ho!
I just checked my copy of Yukon Ho! and it goes from this one to the "let's hear some water running" with just a Spaceman Spiff drawing in between. How odd.

e: apparently it would have been found in Something Under the Bed is Drooling but wasn't reprinted there. It's only one of two comics with an unusual reprinting history.

quote:

The strip for May 23, 1987 was reprinted in The Essential Calvin and Hobbes and The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, but was missing in Something Under the Bed Is Drooling.
In the strip, Calvin drops a teabag into a glass full of ice cubes, hoping to make iced tea.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 29, 2014

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

FactsAreUseless posted:

Spider-Man Faces Big Bus, The Bus Boss, While Overcoming A Fear Of Heights

Aww man, now I miss The Bus

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Moon Over Nancy

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

TofuDiva posted:

This is a thing that really happens. US Mid-Atlantic states had snow and then 50-mph wind gusts this week, while the Cherry Blossom Festival was on.
No problem, there aren't any blossoms out yet.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

On the off-chance that you were being serious...

As a side note, it is surprisingly difficult to find the support group scene from "Fight Club" on Youtube.

I'm pretty sure he was just reacting to the word Bitchtits since his username is Bitchtits McGee.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

amishjosh posted:

Aww man, now I miss The Bus
It's all collected in an imgur gallery, it'll probably turn up if you google it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

That's quite a lot of generations to keep track of.

Retail

How about these other excuses, are they fair game: bad weather, the economy, aggressive internet competition, fewer shopping days, payroll tax increases, food stamp cuts, higher gas prices, household debt, aging clientele, layoffs in the surrounding area

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Don't worry Bleeker. It's just all part of your planned obsolescence.

Dustin

You don't have to watch the movie with them you know...in fact, you probably have a number of other electronic devices you can give your attention to instead.

On the Fastrack

Why would Fastrack employees be browsing DeviantArt? Are they into anime and furries? Actually now that I think about it, Dethany might be.

Safe Havens

Palmtop can't murder anyone tonight if you don't go to sleep.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 29, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

According to the database it's only in the Complete, while the following one (let's hear some water running) is in Yukon Ho!
I just checked my copy of Yukon Ho! and it goes from this one to the "let's hear some water running" with just a Spaceman Spiff drawing in between. How odd.

e: apparently it would have been found in Something Under the Bed is Drooling but wasn't reprinted there. It's only one of two comics with an unusual reprinting history.

It's on page 253 of The Essential Calvin And Hobbes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

This is the first Nancy in a while to really get on my nerves beyond just "blah what a hack"

Gilchrist, you do not deserve to so much as speak Charles Schultz's name, let alone rip off his comic because you're lazy / obsessed with ~vintage things~

Say Nothing posted:

We are one step away from Raine Dog Nancy.
I think the Junji Ito edits were preferable.

Junji Ito edits are always preferable.

[also thanks for the tip on that book of his I hadn't read you guys]

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh, that explains it. I have the Essential Calvin and Hobbes and the other two larger collection books as well as a few of the smaller books that make up these collections. I was aware that a few strips in the smaller books aren't in the larger treasuries, but I'd never heard of the reverse happening. Odd.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Geech visits grammar school

Oh Baby

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Salamanders don't have scales. They are amphibians with smooth, moist skin.

Slylock Fox

Slylock, you're really not helping out with the whole public perception of the law being a tool for protecting the interests of the wealthy and keeping down the underclass.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kind of forgot what a bitch MJ is in this arc.

Goooooo, Thing!

Loving that look on Thing's face in Panel 2, "The gently caress you just say to me?"

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

AxeManiac posted:

Moon Over Nancy

No, you fool! You've gone too far now! This way lies madness, madness I tell you!:unsmigghh:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Just in case there are some finngoons in Tampere area today, thread favorite Pertti Jarla of Fingerpori fame is talking about his comic and the characters today in two hours and is also giving autographs later.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 8, 1927)

Peanuts is harboring spooks. (April 3, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (March 31, 1956)

Out Our Way (September 12-13, 1924)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I could probably just stop coming up with new titles every day and just say Irrational Comix.

Pooch Café

He's not wrong. Once you get to that many cats, it's an uphill battle against toxoplasmosis not to take in every stray you see.

Ballard Street

The character switch thing really works with this one.

• Locked thread