Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arabia in the geographical sense usually refers to the Arabian peninsula. It is almost never used in the sense that you're suggesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

Arabia in the geographical sense usually refers to the Arabian peninsula. It is almost never used in the sense that you're suggesting.

Yeah, that didn't make any sense. Israel is in Levant.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, (Greater) Syria has always been considered distinct from the Arabian peninsula. It makes as much sense to classify Morocco as Arabia as to lump Syria in with it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kamrat posted:

Apparently this is from the United Nations Geoscheme which you can check out here

No Central Europe, totally disqualified.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Torrannor posted:

Wait, you mean Israel is not in Arabia? Consider me surprised!

Arabia can refer to

- the Arabian tectonic plate
- which consists mainly of the Arabian peninsula
- the "Arab world" (Members of Arabic League + other Arabian-speaking countries)

In neither of these definitions Israel or Turkey are included.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think he's confusing Arabia and the Middle East. Although even then where would the Caucasus go? Central Asia?

Torrannor posted:

Oh and Europe annexed Siberia, nice!

Siberia is overwhelmingly ethnically Russian.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 27, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Koramei posted:

I think he's confusing Arabia and the Middle East. Although even then where would the Caucasus go? Central Asia?

Well the Caucasus and Anatolia are traditionally the lumped together geographically.

quote:

Siberia is overwhelmingly ethnically Russian

And more to the point politically unless the Siberian regions have declared independence.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 27, 2014

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Australia and New Zealand are just... Australia and New Zealand.

I guess it sounds better than Southern Oceania.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I'm assuming the UN doesn't want to appear Eurocentric, so terms like "near east" and "middle east" were left out.

Considering the majority of the world comes from some history and culture of european colonization though, those terms would make sense to a substantial majority.

But yeah, Levant, Asia Minor/Anatolia, and Caucasia would make even more sense.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Local politics, I guess.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Killer robot posted:

Local politics, I guess.

Needs "Youse" pointing to a circle around New Jersey.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Killer robot posted:

Local politics, I guess.

Coming from Idaho, it's just "you".

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

Coming from Idaho, it's just "you".

Yeah people seem to insist on there being a difference between the second person singular and plural when in most forms of English that distinction doesn't really exist

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah people seem to insist on there being a difference between the second person singular and plural when in most forms of English that distinction doesn't really exist

So you have literally never had a situation where you've had to specify that you're speaking about or to a group of people rather than a singular person? I guarantee you have and you said something different when you did. It was probably "you guys", "you all", or "all of you". The distinction absolutely exists in all dialects of English, most just don't have a dedicated pronoun for it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Killer robot posted:

Local politics, I guess.

Keep going north and you get 'buddy' and 'hey b'ys'.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Need to put "Ihr/Sie" in the German-speaking regions in the Midwest.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Modern Day Hercules posted:

So you have literally never had a situation where you've had to specify that you're speaking about or to a group of people rather than a singular person? I guarantee you have and you said something different when you did. It was probably "you guys", "you all", or "all of you". The distinction absolutely exists in all dialects of English, most just don't have a dedicated pronoun for it.

Yes, those are used when emphasizing that there's more than one person but if it's not being emphasized 'you' by itself is common. as opposed to 'y'all' or other languages where the plural pronoun is used in all cases.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah, it's the difference between "y'all" and "all of y'all"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

El Scotch posted:

Keep going north and you get 'buddy' and 'hey b'ys'.

"ey bebes"
--my terrible Chicago suburbs cousin

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Even at the high end of 54 Million, that's actually not that much larger than China's Muslim population, which probably doesn't make the people who want to hype Chinese Christianity that excited.
Unless the Chinese government finds a proper ethical framework to fill the void left by the abandonment of Communistic values I don't see why any old evangelic faith can't fill the void. I certainly don't see the Confucianists picking up the slack and lol at the Taoists. The Buddhists haven't had to proselytize for so long they're out of practice and like you see there most of the muslims in China are either Hui or Uyghur and therefore have a strong ethnic element to their faith.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tony Jowns posted:

Yeah, it's the difference between "y'all" and "all of y'all"

Does the fact that there's an "all of y'all" construction in the American South mean that "y'all" is simply becoming the second person singular, or is there a formality distinction between "y'all" and "you"?

I mean, English used to have two second person pronouns, thou and you, and thou was the informal singular while you was both the formal singular and the plural. Thou fell out of use because it gradually became offensively informal, leaving us with just "you", but there seems to be some need for a formal second person for some reason, as working in a call centre in Scotland I have observed people saying "yourself" instead of "you" where it is not grammatically necessary when trying to be polite down the phone, and on rare occasion I have been addressed as Yous on occasions in my life when a stranger was having to be formally polite to me (resteraunts, for example).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://qz.com/192440/where-everyone-in-the-world-is-migrating-in-one-gorgeous-chart/

A map of where people are migrating.

If someone with more technical skill wants to rehost, it's a pretty cool image.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
here you go

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Reveilled posted:

Does the fact that there's an "all of y'all" construction in the American South mean that "y'all" is simply becoming the second person singular, or is there a formality distinction between "y'all" and "you"?

Y'all and All a y'all can both refer to a group, it just depends on the speaker. I usually hear all a y'all in reference to a large group and y'all as a small group.

"Y'all wanna go out an eat?"
"All a y'all in this town can go to hell"

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
It emphasizes that it is a larger group as opposed to a subgroup. I mean, it isn't really so much about the distinction as it is used for extra emphasis.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Reveilled posted:

I don't know about recent studies, but usually the significance of a singular usage of "y'all" is given undue importance. Most of the time "y'all" is plural, but occasionally it can appear as singular, just like "you" in dialects with a "you"/"y'all" distinction. As Standard English shows, the singular/plural distinction isn't necessary as such (obviously basically no grammatical feature is necessary as such, but you know). "All y'all" is equivalent to "all of you", no?

quote:

I mean, English used to have two second person pronouns, thou and you, and thou was the informal singular while you was both the formal singular and the plural. Thou fell out of use because it gradually became offensively informal, leaving us with just "you", but there seems to be some need for a formal second person for some reason, as working in a call centre in Scotland I have observed people saying "yourself" instead of "you" where it is not grammatically necessary when trying to be polite down the phone, and on rare occasion I have been addressed as Yous on occasions in my life when a stranger was having to be formally polite to me (resteraunts, for example).

Formality is a pretty rapidly changing feature, so it's not surprising that people occasionally pull out some unusual trick to avoid the perhaps overtly formal "Mr Reveilled, you are a right oval office" style.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Koramei posted:

here you go

I like how with the countries that make up the former Soviet bloc the migration is all within them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Interesting migrations map. Look at how many Indians go to the UAE!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Interesting migrations map. Look at how many Indians go to the UAE!

Who do you think built Dubai?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Turkey is a more difficult case, but when people are discussing Syria or Iraq or Israel they are not calling them Western Asian countries.

When I was deploying to Iraq, my Army paperwork usually referred to the region as Southwest Asia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TheImmigrant posted:

Oh I knew it was people from the sub continent, but I didn't realize they went there so overwhelmingly. What about Saudi Arabia and Qatar and the US and Canada and Singapore? UAE is the place to go though, apparently.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Proximity is a virtue all its own. Especially if you are poor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Y'all and All a y'all can both refer to a group, it just depends on the speaker. I usually hear all a y'all in reference to a large group and y'all as a small group.

"Y'all wanna go out an eat?"
"All a y'all in this town can go to hell"

We're just looping back around to the Indo-European singular/dual/plural forms that have stood the test of time :clint:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

TheImmigrant posted:

Still, a million migrant laborers is a LOT in a country as small as the UAE. It's unsustainable for them to be there for a protracted period, unless some permanent infrastructure is built for them and there is some effort to integrate them into the society. They have huge numbers of young men who have absolutely no prospects for marriage or advancement, in a society that treats them like dirt, and they easily outnumber the police and military combined. It doesn't take a genius to predict what's going to happen, and there really isn't anything the natives can do about it other than start shooting, which will cause way more problems than it solves.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Killer robot posted:

Local politics, I guess.

In very, very rural southern appalachia people say "you'uns'es". I've never heard it mentioned outside of hearing it in a couple of towns in northern Georgia near Clayton.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 29, 2014

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Still, a million migrant laborers is a LOT in a country as small as the UAE. It's unsustainable for them to be there for a protracted period, unless some permanent infrastructure is built for them and there is some effort to integrate them into the society. They have huge numbers of young men who have absolutely no prospects for marriage or advancement, in a society that treats them like dirt, and they easily outnumber the police and military combined. It doesn't take a genius to predict what's going to happen, and there really isn't anything the natives can do about it other than start shooting, which will cause way more problems than it solves.

I'd be very surprised of many Indian and Pakistani laborers went to the UAE thinking they would become permanent immigrants there. The Emiratis know what they are doing, which is importing an underclass of temporary workers (often more like indentured servants), and deporting any who cause trouble. This is truly one of those situations where the locals won't do the work, since few of them need to. Emirati citizens comprise only about 20% of the population of their country.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

In very, very rural southern appalachia people say "you'uns'es". I've never heard it mentioned outside of hearing it in a couple of towns in northern Georgia near Clayton.

You actually hear "yous'uns" and "yuse" used a lot in Northern Ireland, usually in dialects with close connections to Ulster-Scots. Maybe the Applachian form is a remnant of Ulster-Scot (Scotch-Irish to you heathen Americans) influence?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

You actually hear "yous'uns" and "yuse" used a lot in Northern Ireland, usually in dialects with close connections to Ulster-Scots. Maybe the Applachian form is a remnant of Ulster-Scot (Scotch-Irish to you heathen Americans) influence?

Scots-Irish, actually. Scotch only refers to a kind of whiskey here. And yeah, the Appalachians were basically colonized by those murderous protestant nutjobs and they never left.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

here you go

Israel's on the chart but doesn't appear to have anything going to or from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bloodnose posted:

Israel's on the chart but doesn't appear to have anything going to or from it?

I'm guessing Israel doesn't count those who make Aliyah as immigration. And, according to Israeli statistics, yordim almost always come back so the portion that actually emigrates isn't large enough to show on the map. (?)