Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Amused to Death posted:

I like how with the countries that make up the former Soviet bloc the migration is all within them.

Glory to Arstotzka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Bloodnose posted:

Israel's on the chart but doesn't appear to have anything going to or from it?

Those dots outside the circle seem to indicate that people immigrate there from Russia, the Ukraine and US, and Israelis emigrate to one of the European countries that I can't quite make out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Local paper had an article about Finland's history in maps.

Cladius Clavus (1427) - This wasn't included but it's apparently the oldest map that mentions Fin(d)land (center-right)

Hartmann Schedel (1493)

Jacob Ziegler (1532)

Olaus Magnus (1539) - You've seen this one before.

Joan Blaeu (1662)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
What's up with that last one? Did they just guess the width based on how long it felt to trudge through a frozen forest?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That was before the problem of measuring longitude was solved I think. Latitude is easy, you use sun angles, but longitude was literally impossible to measure until the invention of precisely calibrated clocks. So north-south you could chart but east-west was a crapshoot until then.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could measure longitude with some careful astronomical measurements on land. It was measuring it on a rocking ship that was the difficult part until clocks got good enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What's up with that last one? Did they just guess the width based on how long it felt to trudge through a frozen forest?

It looks fine to me :shrug:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, looks fine to me too. It's definitely much better than this monstrosity.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, that looks like ridiculously good to me? They've even got stuff like Salpausselkä there. Also, what the hell is Perkelscaeren?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems really wide, but there's not much context and I am not a Finnish geography expert.

e: Oh wait Russia conquered a bunch of eastern Finland, didn't it? That must be why.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It seems really wide, but there's not much context and I am not a Finnish geography expert.

It was a lot wider then than it is now. Laatokka is pretty much in the right place and gives you a nice point of reference if comparing this to a modern map.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Yeah, that looks like ridiculously good to me? They've even got stuff like Salpausselkä there. Also, what the hell is Perkelscaeren?

quote:

En fortsättning av den spärrande landmassan i sydost bildas av den sedan
1500-talets holländska sjökartor fruktade Aspögruppen (finska Haapaari), i
litteraturen förekommer såsom "Perkelskären" (Djävulsskären).

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Haapasaari. (There's also an Aspö in the Archipelago Sea but considering that a shitload of those loving hell islands have lots of snakes that's not surprising.) Actually I have no idea since 'asp' is a tree not a snake, I should probably go to bed :)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 29, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Didn't even think about it but the last map lacks St. Petersburg which was founded in 1703. A big reason why those eastern areas aren't part of modern Finland.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I like this idea, maps based on perceived distance.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's how the Romans did maps of their road system. They weren't meant to be accurate, kind of like subway maps.

Edit: In fact, that map looks a bit similar

Kennel posted:

Hartmann Schedel (1493)

Kassad fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 29, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Haapasaari. (There's also an Aspö in the Archipelago Sea but considering that a shitload of those loving hell islands have lots of snakes that's not surprising.) Actually I have no idea since 'asp' is a tree not a snake, I should probably go to bed :)

Asp can also mean snake, specifically the European viper (not to be confused with the European asp viper), but i find it more likely to be named after the tree, as you also have islands such as Björkö (birch island) in the region. To add to that, there are actual islands called Äspö which unambigously are named after vipers. Probably from Äsping (= young female viper).

Asp is also a species of fish in Swedish (same as in English), but it's a freshwater fish so i don't think the island has anything to do with it.

And yeah, it would be fitting if the islands were named after vipers, because they are really common in the baltic archipelago. I experienced my first and only snakebite in the Stockholm archipelago, fuckers are plentiful.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 29, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Falukorv posted:

Asp can also mean snake, specifically the European viper (not to be confused with the European asp viper), but i find it more likely to be named after the tree, as you also have islands such as Björkö (birch island) in the region. To add to that, there are actual islands called Äspö which unambigously are named after vipers. Probably from Äsping (= young female viper).

Asp is also a species of fish in Swedish (same as in English), but it's a freshwater fish so i don't think the island has anything to do with it.

And yeah, it would be fitting if the islands were named after vipers, because they are really common in the baltic archipelago. I experienced my first and only snakebite in the Stockholm archipelago, fuckers are plentiful.

Well yes but obviously aspö = haapasaari = aspen island in this case. Pre-nap me just didn't make the (correct) connection. After a bit of reading it seems to be one of those place names that mean fuckall in a broader context unless you also mention which part of the country we're talking about, much like Pyhäjärvi ('Holy Lake').

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Falukorv posted:

You should visit Ormskär. They built a bunch of cannons there to fight all those orms. (Though I have to say I saw no snakes while there: proof the cannons worked!)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Scots-Irish, actually. Scotch only refers to a kind of whiskey here. And yeah, the Appalachians were basically colonized by those murderous protestant nutjobs and they never left.

Hey! We might be murderous, and we might be protestant, and we might be nutjobs, but we are NOT murderous! t:mad:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Cow posted:

I like this idea, maps based on perceived distance.

If you've never orienteered with just a compass and a set of directions and distances, you've... well you've been saved a lot of "well we should be in the right spot". Really makes you appreciate actual maps, even lovely ones.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I'm taking away from this is that people were really bad at making maps until the second half of the 16th century.

Here's Mercator's attempt in 1569:

Pretty good, all in all.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Not political really, but shows how the railways shaped London:

http://mapsengine.google.com/gallery/mapviewer?id=zs2aHyi7W8Ek.kggHTef2F49I&hl=en

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Leading Christian church affiliations in the USA.

I'm rather surprised at how big Catholicism is, actually. I thought the USA was majority Protestant.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Leading Christian church affiliations in the USA.

I'm rather surprised at how big Catholicism is, actually. I thought the USA was majority Protestant.

It's because they differentiate between Protestant denominations. If they used a more generic 'Protestant' category instead of noting the difference between Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, etc. a lot more of American would probably be painted Protestant on the map.

e: compare to

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
What is "Christian" supossed to represent ?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Presumably other Christian denominations that weren't big enough to qualify for their own color.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

skipThings posted:

I think it's probably non-denominational. If I had to guess I'd say it's the result of megachurches. Looks like small denominations fall under 'other'.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

skipThings posted:

The Christian Church, also known as the Disciples of Christ, is actually the name of a number of closely related "non-sectarian" Christian churches that evolved out of the second Great Awakening. Specifically, they are the modern descendants of the Stone/Campbell movement in the Ohio River valley.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I didn't know there were any parts of the US that had catholic majorities. I would have guess some isolated area or urban neighbourhoods with lots of Mexican immigrants. I'm very surprised the North and North East is so (comparatively) catholic.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I didn't know there were any parts of the US that had catholic majorities. I would have guess some isolated area or urban neighbourhoods with lots of Mexican immigrants. I'm very surprised the North and North East is so (comparatively) catholic.

Many of the groups that came in the 1800s were heavily Catholic, including Germans, Irish, Italians, and Poles. The NE Catholics are mostly Irish and Italian, the ones in Wisconsin and Minnesota are German, in Chicago Polish, in Louisiana French/Cajuns, and in the Southwest and California it's Mexicans.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Many of the groups that came in the 1800s were heavily Catholic, including Germans, Irish, Italians, and Poles. The NE Catholics are mostly Irish and Italian, the ones in Wisconsin and Minnesota are German, in Chicago Polish, in Louisiana French/Cajuns, and in the Southwest and California it's Mexicans.

Makes sense. Does Canada have a similar breakdown (except the Mexicans)? They've had even more recent (I mean post WW2) immigration I believe.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Count Roland posted:

I'm very surprised the North and North East is so (comparatively) catholic.

Because of Irish immigrants, I'd say at a guess.

E: should learn to refresh the page before posting.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Makes sense. Does Canada have a similar breakdown (except the Mexicans)? They've had even more recent (I mean post WW2) immigration I believe.

From google

Here's a version of that image with the US as well. Not sure what year it's from or where the data came from

I'm not Canadian but I'm assuming the big red block is French Canadians. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between European immigrants and native French Canadians, they're all in that block. Maybe the people in the north in the middle of nowhere?

Also, :wow: at Vancouver

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

icantfindaname posted:

Also, :wow: at Vancouver

I'm guessing that's due to heavy Asian immigration?

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Most of those red areas in are probably culturally Catholic Francophones. That's what is going on for sure in Quebec and, I presume, Eastern Ontario and Northern NB. In the North I feel like it's more statistical noise than anything. It is definitely not nineteenth century European immigration, those are sparsely populated mostly aboriginal areas.

The map seems really oddly divided though. They don't seem to be electoral ridings or anything like that and it seems odd to me that all of the Yukon is together but Nunavut is in three parts?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, the Catholics in Quebec are overwhelmingly French Catholics that have been there since before the 7 Years War. There's been a few waves of Irish immigration to the area as well, but that's not going to be the major factor.

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!

Count Roland posted:

I live in Hudson County, New Jersey which, after looking it up, is 84% Catholic. Early in the 20th century it was very German/Irish/Italian, but a lot of areas are now majority. In another 10 years or so, as more immigrants come in and the old white folks move out or die, it may be majority Hispanic.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the Catholics in Quebec are overwhelmingly French Catholics that have been there since before the 7 Years War. There's been a few waves of Irish immigration to the area as well, but that's not going to be the major factor.

Wasn't there a not insignificant Italian wave of immigration to Montreal/Quebec as well?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Louisiana is incredibly Catholic to the point where it doesn't have counties like the rest of the US, it has Parishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Louisiana is incredibly Catholic to the point where it doesn't have counties like the rest of the US, it has Parishes.

Wow, there's that French/Acadian influence for you.