Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
6 Unknown Guildies on last night, a new record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

That or try to snag one of these rotting in sky when another guild is clearing: http://wiki.project1999.com/Belt_of_Tranquility

Never go to plane of sky for any reason ever. It is the worst zone. Why yes, I do already have my 41% belt, why are you asking?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Funkutron5000 posted:

Never go to plane of sky for any reason ever. It is the worst zone. Why yes, I do already have my 41% belt, why are you asking?

I don't have mine but gently caress that zone.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
Just logged on to p99. It's my first time ever playing Everquest! Actually, I'm having fun with it just hackin' up wolves. Whatup.

Anyway, my name on there is redblip and I have no idea what I'm doing. If you guys ever see me running around (especially running away from something I shouldn't have slapped) have mercy on me!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

red_blip posted:

Just logged on to p99. It's my first time ever playing Everquest! Actually, I'm having fun with it just hackin' up wolves. Whatup.

Anyway, my name on there is redblip and I have no idea what I'm doing. If you guys ever see me running around (especially running away from something I shouldn't have slapped) have mercy on me!

Try to find me tonight on swashy, I'll give you some starter plat, what class/race are you?

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

iNteg posted:

Try to find me tonight on swashy, I'll give you some starter plat, what class/race are you?

Ah man, thanks. I'll try to! I'm in Paris though, so your night and my night are pretty tough to align, but I'll keep an eye out.

I'm a Barbarian Warrior. I wasn't sure about anything, so I figured I'd go with something easy to pick up and get started first. Everything was really quite confusing for the first hour, haha.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

red_blip posted:

Ah man, thanks. I'll try to! I'm in Paris though, so your night and my night are pretty tough to align, but I'll keep an eye out.

I'm a Barbarian Warrior. I wasn't sure about anything, so I figured I'd go with something easy to pick up and get started first. Everything was really quite confusing for the first hour, haha.

We can work to make something happen. I actually may have a few pieces of newbie warrior gear on my warrior, so that could be good. if you want a ride from Halas area to EC/WC where most players are hanging out (good for free buffs and newbie stuff, makes killing easier, and grouping too) i can also make that happen. (thanks Bugen)

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
Oh that would be awesome! I'm on now, though I don't know for how long. Next week I'll have it sorted out more, but I'm heading out of town for the weekend.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

red_blip posted:

Oh that would be awesome! I'm on now, though I don't know for how long. Next week I'll have it sorted out more, but I'm heading out of town for the weekend.

I'll be home in 2ish hours, but if we can't meet up, we'll try soon.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

red_blip posted:

Just so you don't regret things later, make sure you maximize your stamina when creating your barbarian warrior. Put as many starting points into it as you can, after that, maybe put the rest in dexterity.

The reasoning behind this is, stamina is the hardest stat to raise with end game items, and stamina directly correlates to more hit points. Assuming you make it far in the game, you'll want the extra hit points that your starting stamina affords. Strength is one of the easiest to raise, you shouldn't need additional strength as a barbarian. Dexterity helps your weapons proc more, which is very important for a warrior to hold agro on mobs.

If you didn't do stamina/dexterity, I would suggest starting over. Don't worry about losing progress you've made so far, the lower levels go quick.

I'm not sure what gear is out there for a lowbie warrior, but I'll try to put together a set of armor/weapons for you. I'll also power level you back to your current level if you have to re-create your character to get stats right.

Enjoy Norrath!

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

ohno posted:

Just so you don't regret things later, make sure you maximize your stamina when creating your barbarian warrior. Put as many starting points into it as you can, after that, maybe put the rest in dexterity.

The reasoning behind this is, stamina is the hardest stat to raise with end game items, and stamina directly correlates to more hit points. Assuming you make it far in the game, you'll want the extra hit points that your starting stamina affords. Strength is one of the easiest to raise, you shouldn't need additional strength as a barbarian. Dexterity helps your weapons proc more, which is very important for a warrior to hold agro on mobs.

If you didn't do stamina/dexterity, I would suggest starting over. Don't worry about losing progress you've made so far, the lower levels go quick.

I'm not sure what gear is out there for a lowbie warrior, but I'll try to put together a set of armor/weapons for you. I'll also power level you back to your current level if you have to re-create your character to get stats right.

Enjoy Norrath!

Awe man, yeah I guess I'm going to have to start over haha. I put it all in, I think, strength (because I'm a dumb nub). But that's really kind of you to offer the help. If I could just get someone to hold my crap while I make a new guy, that would be enough for me!

e: Only lvl 3 now anyway, haha, so I shouldn't really complain.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Ill create a barbarian right now so you can xfer. Gimme a minute - meet in the city.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
On my way.

e: Slight problem, fell in water, can't get out :(

red_blip fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Angus
Aug 19, 2004

red_blip posted:

e: Slight problem, fell in water, can't get out :(

Change to first person view. For some reason it's impossible to get out of water in the third person camera.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

Angus posted:

Change to first person view. For some reason it's impossible to get out of water in the third person camera.

Yeah, I was actually just swimming in an area with no way to get out... I had to find another way. Hah, oh man. Beware of me, guys.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I've always wondered, what is a realistic timeframe for reaching cap level on p99? Assuming starting fresh.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

PriNGLeS posted:

I've always wondered, what is a realistic timeframe for reaching cap level on p99? Assuming starting fresh.

It depends on the class, how much you are playing a day and support from other players. Im may be off with this but a fresh person just starting probably gets to 60 in 3-4 months. EQ follows the old saying of its not about the destination but the journey.

Someone that hasn't played before has a lot of world to learn about.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I would say 3 to 4 months of playing at least a couple hours nearly every single day. It's not an short endeavor, and really if you're only grinding to get to the mythical 60 you're going to be disappointed much like I was. After 60 there's nothing to do except deal with poo poo lords either through trying to camp an item you need, trying to get into a raiding guild, or in other raiding guilds.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Angus posted:

Actually - unless P99 and the old client is that much different than from current live - you can get out of water in 3rd person, you just need to adjust your view. Even thought you don't see it, pressing/holding PageUp and PageDown (or is it Insert and Delete? Can be adjusted in the Options menu) still pivots your view up/down when in 3rd person, and only when you're looking upwards can you get out of water. You can also use this to adjust your swimming while in 3rd person, although it is generally easier to swim in 1st person.

Swimming in EQ. :gonk: Remember the utterly low view distance underwater in old EQ, compared with low gamma and visibility in general?

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
Do you guys use ventrillo or anything while playing?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As far as I know, there's no active goon voice server, vent or otherwise. There used to be a public P99 mumble server but I think it went away awhile back. I'm pretty sure this mumble server is still generally available for goons if you can convince some P99 goons to hop on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

But If you want to have lots of P99 people to chat with, I would recommend joining up with one of the larger leveling guilds that has its own voice server.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Pilsner posted:

Swimming in EQ. :gonk: Remember the utterly low view distance underwater in old EQ, compared with low gamma and visibility in general?

This was so loving scary back in the day. Never knew what the gently caress would suddenly pop out of the murky waters and slay you, thereby leaving your corpse somewhere in the unknown depths. gently caress the ocean.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I don't know why, but I've been wanting to play classic EQ again!

I'm gonna roll as a Barb Shaman when I get home tonight. How active are the lowbie leveling zones? Is it viable to do Everfrost then Blackburrow groups til the low teens?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The gnoll fang quest in South Qeynos gives absolutely absurd XP from 1-16+ so Blackburrow is pretty full of people killing green gnolls solo. This makes it a great spot to level up untwinked but you will likely have a tough time finding a group. You will also encounter some fairly rude people if you play during US primetime in BB, as there won't be nearly enough mobs to go around.

If you want to roll a newbie shaman and group, you're much more likely to find pals as an Iksar. There's lots of monks, necros, SKs, and other shaman to group with in FoB, and Kurns will even have some non-iksars grouping as well.

Finally, if you're concerned about min/maxing and the endgame, Ogres are unequivocally the best race for Shaman due to bash immunity from the front. You won't get spell casts interrupted by bash, mostly a concern for debuffing/slowing high end mobs that will beat on you after they resist your first attempts and soloing at high levels.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

I doubt I'd actually make it to 60.. I never did back when live was where P99 is now. Still, it'd be fun to revisit old content and actually play through it. The biggest problem I have with live now is that it's just totally dead. Even if you saw other people they were boxing or had mercs. Single player MMO..

Ogres and Iksars both have a 50% XP penalty, right? Not sure how much that would matter long run, I guess. It sounds silly but I wanted to do Barb just for aesthetics and because Everfrost is cool.

Is it safe to assume most leveling zones are active- if I did Ogre for example, I'd be able to find groups in Upper Guk/Ro/Oasis?

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
I need about 6k ASAP to get a FBSS for my warrior. I have a 52 shaman to farm. What do I do?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bwee posted:

I need about 6k ASAP to get a FBSS for my warrior. I have a 52 shaman to farm. What do I do?
One ring off the AC in SRo or OOT would set you up to make 6k doing a Jboots MQ for someone.

If you can be on during non-peak hours, seafuries in OOT drop good cash loot (vendor gems/jewelry worth 80-200pp). However, they can be overcamped even when server pop is 500 or less.

You could also camp Lasna in Mistmoore - her common drop is a diamondine earring - 900 a pop at the moment. You can invis around to other named spots if they're uncamped to grab trash loot as well. Dhamp in MM is an option but camping two HBCs will take awhile unless you get lucky, but they would get you 6k.

There's a few camps in Droga that you could do assuming you're familiar with the class and know your way around, but they tend to be camped pretty heavily by farmers.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 3, 2014

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

but they tend to be camped pretty heavily by farmers.

Doesn't that bit there describe everything in P99?

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.
In as Mern, level 4 Bard

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

Doesn't that bit there describe everything in P99?
Classic as gently caress!

Also, if you haven't been on beta, you should check it out this weekend. There will likely be a stress test event on Sunday. They've been doing things to some of the backend code that should allow for the inevitable 100+ people fighting multiple AEing mobs simultaneously in ToV:

quote:

[6:18:53 PM] Rogean: So thinking of putting together a stress test this weekend
[6:19:01 PM] Rogean: Saturday or sunday
[6:19:13 PM] Rogean: Get as many people as we can in one zone.. Fighting an AE mob
[8:03:51 PM] Rogean: Boss spawn somewhere
[8:04:09 PM] Rogean: Start out with a large mob isolated in a zone
[8:04:16 PM] Rogean: then maybe after that, have everyone split up in growthplane
I can't be on as I'll be on a beach in Mexico getting drunk :hellyeah: but anyone with any level character (50+ if you don't want to explode to AEs - there will be lots of guides/GMs around to 100% rez either way) should betacopy over and be there to see if the new code can take it. Tell your guilds to be there as well. This really is one of the more important things that needs to be tested if you want to see ToV raids or the Ring War work without desyncing zones and tons of people getting hosed over.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 4, 2014

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
Anyone able to help out a starting character? At level 7 struggling to solo as bard, its a hard knock life when you can't find a group.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

Primaris posted:

Anyone able to help out a starting character? At level 7 struggling to solo as bard, its a hard knock life when you can't find a group.

I'm logging on now near Qeynos. Lvl 7 Warrior. "Redblip".

e: Nevermind, schoolwork > EQ. But add me anyway.

red_blip fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 5, 2014

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

I'm playing on a new character too. I ended up rolling a Half Elf Bard. I'm only level 3 right now in North Qeynos but if I keep playing we could totally group up and murder some gnolls. My character name is Gyrfalkon.

e: I'm super rich because I bought an Iksar monk some bandages and he dumped all his gold on me. I have like 75 plat. Are there any starter weapons that are cheap I could pick up when I make my way over to EC?

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 5, 2014

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Left off with my iksar necromancer around level 37 last fall. Thinking about picking this up again after hearing some Unknown Guild folk have been back in recent days.

When Velious comes, what level can people bring there characters there and exp? Curious if I will be able to get in on the new content right away at 37 or do I need to get higher level first?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Siets posted:

Left off with my iksar necromancer around level 37 last fall. Thinking about picking this up again after hearing some Unknown Guild folk have been back in recent days.

When Velious comes, what level can people bring there characters there and exp? Curious if I will be able to get in on the new content right away at 37 or do I need to get higher level first?

Velious content starts about 30-ish as I remember.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and one other question. Ever since they revamped the ancient cyclops spawning in South Ro, has anyone figured out how to get him to spawn?

Was talking with a friend of mine today and he said he vaguely remembered from early Live days that you just had to kill any mob in the zone except for the Orc spawns. Eventually AC would spawn (with Terrorantula on rare occasion for added hilarity.) From reading the wiki back in January, there was talk of AC spawning only at night. Is this also verified?

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

Siets posted:

Oh and one other question. Ever since they revamped the ancient cyclops spawning in South Ro, has anyone figured out how to get him to spawn?

Was talking with a friend of mine today and he said he vaguely remembered from early Live days that you just had to kill any mob in the zone except for the Orc spawns. Eventually AC would spawn (with Terrorantula on rare occasion for added hilarity.) From reading the wiki back in January, there was talk of AC spawning only at night. Is this also verified?

As I understand it, and how I have always done so on P99 is. Everything in the desert is a potential PH for the cyclops. I have never witnessed the cyclops spawn in the day.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If I remember correctly to do the AC you only have to sit on this little hill and kill everything that pops from a specific place (well sort of - there are actually two spawn tables that pop from the same spot and only one of those spawn tables matter). I met one guy who was 100% sure it can spawn any time, but I've heard more evidence suggesting it only does at night. When I did it I timed killing the PHs so that I would have two chances every night at a possible AC spawn.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It used to be one ph but they fixed that. There are some p99 forums posts about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
Anyone in the 10-15's range? In as Mern

• Locked thread