Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

The Sisko posted:

This is my WIP Nurgle Chaos Lord. I'm in a bit of a rut though about him. I cant quite decide whether I want to paint the raised parts of his armor or not (perhaps in something like brass scorpion?). Part of me thinks it may be to much the other doesnt. Thoughts?

Yeah, I'd stick to the usual: Paint the armor some version of metallic brass, give it another wash, then highlight with the original brass colour, then very lightly highlight the really really obvious raised areas (tips on the top of the knees etc.) with a really light silver colour.

EDIT: here is one I did; in some places I highlighted all the way up to plain non-metallic white. In my opinion, by the time you get to white, you're representing such a stark reflection that you don't *really* need metallic pigment.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm trying to paint a Brettonian Knight as a GoT Baratheon Knight (all yellow). I'm using Vallejo Deep Yellow for the cloth (over a black base), but it doesn't stick to the point that I'm removing the yellow layer as if it was glue. Any suggestions to what can I do to make it stick or should I just buy a different paint? (my LFGS only sells GW and Vallejo paints)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

radlum posted:

I'm trying to paint a Brettonian Knight as a GoT Baratheon Knight (all yellow). I'm using Vallejo Deep Yellow for the cloth (over a black base), but it doesn't stick to the point that I'm removing the yellow layer as if it was glue. Any suggestions to what can I do to make it stick or should I just buy a different paint? (my LFGS only sells GW and Vallejo paints)

That's weird? Try spraying your model with a light spray of Dullcote first, then paint the yellow. Maybe the yellow is having a hard time getting a grip on whatever you used to prime the model. What was your primer?

SG Thread crosspostin' time!
Escher Ganger:

Better view of the base:

They're finally done, but I need to get a good group shot.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Under 15 posted:

He looks good but I'd be worried about the color scheme. Like dishwasherlove said, it's very dark. For one model, it's fine, but if you have 20 (or 50!) it's not going to look very cool at all. It seems like once you rank them up all you'd see was a lot of brown and black and a few dots of green for the ears and noses. Everything visually interesting on the model is on the front side of him, and you won't be able to see it since he's hunched over. I like that blade, though, that's a cool rust effect.

Thanks, it's just the new rust effects paints from GW :sweatdrop:. I know what you mean, my Night Goblins really lacked solid edge highlights so I've been trying to touch them up and hopefully that'll inspire me to give these guys a bit more pop.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think that goblin might only look too dark because he's on a black unfinished base, which is pretty visually heavy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, I'd stick to the usual: Paint the armor some version of metallic brass, give it another wash, then highlight with the original brass colour, then very lightly highlight the really really obvious raised areas (tips on the top of the knees etc.) with a really light silver colour.

EDIT: here is one I did; in some places I highlighted all the way up to plain non-metallic white. In my opinion, by the time you get to white, you're representing such a stark reflection that you don't *really* need metallic pigment.

FYI you're a total rear end in a top hat (for not posting more pictures of that). Do you have any more? gently caress me, that looks cool as hell, the grey patterns make it look almost alien, got a Dead Space vibe to it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does anygoony have pro-tips on how to paint multifaceted jewels? More specifically the Gloom Prism for the Necron Canoptek Spyder? I'm planning on painting it standard eerie glowing green but I'm not sure how to best go about it.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Does anygoony have pro-tips on how to paint multifaceted jewels? More specifically the Gloom Prism for the Necron Canoptek Spyder? I'm planning on painting it standard eerie glowing green but I'm not sure how to best go about it.

No but I studied them in school :shobon: Seriously though, this link might answer some questions but it's not a guide by any means.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Weirdo posted:

No but I studied them in school :shobon: Seriously though, this link might answer some questions but it's not a guide by any means.

Hey that's pretty cool, although it raises more questions about the method I should go about painting the gem than it actually answers. :saddowns:

Seems like every resource I can find only talks about gemstones. I did find a blog that kind of addressed how to approach angular and non-spherical gems but it wasn't incredibly helpful since it was pretty brief.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The technique used to paint multifaceted gems is called Edge Highlighting. Sometimes called Hard Edge or Extreme Edge highlighting.
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92439
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/08/basics-line-highlighting-made-simple.html

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips!

Unrelated, but is anyone else getting the British Line infantry by Warlord Games? I used to work in a museum that had a full complement of gunners and musicians and it seems like it would be a great piece to show the relatives.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

FYI you're a total rear end in a top hat (for not posting more pictures of that). Do you have any more? gently caress me, that looks cool as hell, the grey patterns make it look almost alien, got a Dead Space vibe to it.

I do.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That's really well done but god drat GW has really gone off the deep end with putting too much detail on their models.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's really well done but god drat GW has really gone off the deep end with putting too much detail on their models.
God yes. I'm painting a Forgeworld Legion Praetor right now and it's such a huge pain. There are details that are just not possible to paint reasonably except with a wash, and sorry, but washes will only get you so far. There's a bunch of stuff I'm just quietly leaving as black, to avoid the model looking way too busy. I tried doing that with the model above and it's still busy as all hell. (Though to be far a good part of that is the grey patterns thing which was an experiment I'm still a bit ambivalent about.)

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 28, 2014

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Which Praetor model is giving you grief? I painted the terminator armour one at christmas and it didn't cause me too much grief.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hey guys, just as a heads up Woot has two ultrasonic cleaners on sale for less than $70. One is actually only $26+shipping.

Not a bad deal for a cheap quick cleaning solution.

http://sport.woot.com/plus/cleaners-and-cases?ref=cnt_wp_4

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Fearless posted:

Which Praetor model is giving you grief? I painted the terminator armour one at christmas and it didn't cause me too much grief.

Yeah, it's the non-terminator one.

Right now:

- The gun and left gauntlet thingy are both too busy, so they're going to be black and I'm going to choose what details to pick out.
- There's a bit on the collar, in between the chest eagle and the face-protection eagle, that is this recessed bit with tiny little details in it. I'm leaving it black, too, damnit.
- The grill things on the knees are going to be a pain but will probably look great. Same with the Roman-style tabard.

I'm painting him up as an Ultramarine, fwiw.

edit: this guy

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I had similar problems with the FW Nurgle Sorcerer. He had little details that I literally did not know about through cleanup and priming until my brush actually hit them while painting other stuff. Like, whole skulls and nurglings that were just impossible to see in all the busyness.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I was painting the Power Armoured Praetor until his head fell off the bit of cork I was using to paint it separately and bounced into the void.

Never before have I lost a piece of a model so large.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

I was painting the Power Armoured Praetor until his head fell off the bit of cork I was using to paint it separately and bounced into the void.

Never before have I lost a piece of a model so large.

The handle of the sword came off when I clipped it from its sprue, because it was so delicate. It's way too skinny for a pin, so right now it *seems* to be holding just with superglue. Now I understand why non-forgeworld models have such comically large handles for axes, swords, etc.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DirtyRobot posted:

The handle of the sword came off when I clipped it from its sprue, because it was so delicate. It's way too skinny for a pin, so right now it *seems* to be holding just with superglue. Now I understand why non-forgeworld models have such comically large handles for axes, swords, etc.

This happened to mine too. Just broke straight off. I glued mine back on fine too.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Holy hell, that's good. Any other minis painted that way?

You're completely deranged if you plan on painting an army in that way. You can paint the line troopers in a more simple way and save detail for squad leaders and HQ's.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I am just putting together some minotaur models I bought, from the Mierce Miniatures kickstarter. They are amazingly detailed (veins popping out, one of them has an open mouth and there's a bloody uvula) but some bad mold lines, and I will need to replace some of the weapon hafts and banner poles. So skinny the resin is barely even rigid.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

Holy hell, that's good. Any other minis painted that way?

You're completely deranged if you plan on painting an army in that way. You can paint the line troopers in a more simple way and save detail for squad leaders and HQ's.
Nope, notta one. He's literally just a guy I added to an ebay cart for like 2 bucks or something on a whim, when I was buying a bunch of bitz from some ebay store in order to convert an Ultramarines assault squad thing I'm working on. And yeah, I couldn't imagine painting a whole army that way. Especially because I'm a pretty slow painter (which is fine, because I'm much more in it for the painting rather than the gaming).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Does anyone have any info on printing images on/cutting plasticard? My friends and I used to play this game called Pirates of the Spanish Main (and other expansions) and want to try and make some custom ships in that style.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
You're probably going to need a place that does laser cutting, die cutting would be too expensive for one offs, and buying your own laser cutter is probably out of the question. Cutting out the shapes to fit by hand like Pirates! did is beyond mortal abilities.

For printing onto cards, you could just look up places online that print business cards onto cards, just google came up with a fair bit of results.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

VolatileSky posted:

You're probably going to need a place that does laser cutting, die cutting would be too expensive for one offs, and buying your own laser cutter is probably out of the question. Cutting out the shapes to fit by hand like Pirates! did is beyond mortal abilities.

For printing onto cards, you could just look up places online that print business cards onto cards, just google came up with a fair bit of results.

I work at a university and I'm pretty sure we have a fab lab somewhere, or at least some engineering prof who owes my group a favor.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

edit: nvm

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Having used my local fab lab I believe a laser cutter can handle acrylic or wood, but not plasticard. I may be misinformed though.

E: Ask the nerds here about little paper boats, they may have some good ideas.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 28, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

DirtyRobot posted:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Here is my application of said advice. Let me know what you think.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I dig this. Not a huge expert, but the only thing I'm not sure about is the detailing on the cape. Could look sick with a deep red.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Rather than a different colour, how about a brighter or darker shade of the same colour to bring out the chaos sigil in the cape?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

w00tmonger posted:

I dig this. Not a huge expert, but the only thing I'm not sure about is the detailing on the cape. Could look sick with a deep red.

VolatileSky posted:

Rather than a different colour, how about a brighter or darker shade of the same colour to bring out the chaos sigil in the cape?

Oddly enough I was thinking of giving the cape a light wash in Carroburg Crimson and then doing the trim in either black or lighter shade of red (perhaps Wazdaka?).

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2014

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Beerdeer posted:

Tell me not to buy a Tomb Kings sphinx body to graft onto a soulgrinder.

I will tell you no such loving thing. Because I did something similar and it was great.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reminds me of a Slig from the Oddworld games.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
'Ear Boy.

I really do like those conversions. I should get a few more soul grinders so I can make Slaanesh and Nurgle ones.

Though, how many soulgrinders do I need?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I'm almost done with a set of heavy weapon gun tractors for my IG but I'm kinda uncertain how I want to mount the weapons onto the tractors. Either I just glue them onto the top which means they can't rotate or be swapped or I get some plasticard to cover up the original mounting hole and drill a smaller hole in for the guns to be mounted on so I can swap them out if I so want to.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cooked Auto posted:

So I'm almost done with a set of heavy weapon gun tractors for my IG but I'm kinda uncertain how I want to mount the weapons onto the tractors. Either I just glue them onto the top which means they can't rotate or be swapped or I get some plasticard to cover up the original mounting hole and drill a smaller hole in for the guns to be mounted on so I can swap them out if I so want to.

Magnetize them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Magnetize them.

Or I could do that I guess. Do they even make magnets that small? I mean the hole is just like 3mm-ish wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cooked Auto posted:

Or I could do that I guess. Do they even make magnets that small? I mean the hole is just like 3mm-ish wide.

Rare earth magnets come all the way down to 1mm.

• Locked thread