Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

About the only real disappointment is that there was no resolution between Wei Shen and the triad he worked for. Him being undercover doesn't actually affect the main narrative at all - and i'd love to see how Conrad reacted to the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think I enjoy running from the police while trying to smash as many civilian faces into the environment as possible way too much.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Winston :smith:
Winston's mum. :stare:

Narcissus1916 posted:

About the only real disappointment is that there was no resolution between Wei Shen and the triad he worked for. Him being undercover doesn't actually affect the main narrative at all - and i'd love to see how Conrad reacted to the news.
Yeah I guess that may have been one of the things that fell on the cutting room floor. On the flipside the fact that Teng is cool about the whole thing is also a bit odd.

Still, a really well characterised game that I can deal with the plot weirdness (which isn't great in most computer games of this kind anyway).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Narcissus1916 posted:

About the only real disappointment is that there was no resolution between Wei Shen and the triad he worked for. Him being undercover. doesn't actually affect the main narrative at all - and i'd love to see how Conrad reacted to the news.

It has been awhile, but I thought at the end the new Triad boss (Jiang?) demonstrated that she knew who he was. I took that to mean she understood his intentions to get rid of violent crime, specifically drugs and crimes that really victimize people, based on what happened to his sister. She would have the authority to keep the Triad off of him. Maybe I am theory crafting, but she was definitely aware of his identity at the end, and presumably looking for the same kind of understanding with the police that Uncle Po previously had.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

It has been awhile, but I thought at the end the new Triad boss (Jiang?) demonstrated that she knew who he was. I took that to mean she understood his intentions to get rid of violent crime, specifically drugs and crimes that really victimize people, based on what happened to his sister. She would have the authority to keep the Triad off of him. Maybe I am theory crafting, but she was definitely aware of his identity at the end, and presumably looking for the same kind of understanding with the police that Uncle Po previously had.
Jiang knows he's a cop. She tells her assistant (That was Po's assistant guy) to leave Wei Shen alone because he's the reason she managed to seize power of the Sun On Yee in the first place.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Croccers posted:

Jiang knows he's a cop. She tells her assistant (That was Po's assistant guy) to leave Wei Shen alone because he's the reason she managed to seize power of the Sun On Yee in the first place.

Pretty much. Broken-nose understands what it takes to keep the underworld off the police radar.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Winston :smith:
Winston's mum. :stare:

Yeah I guess that may have been one of the things that fell on the cutting room floor. On the flipside the fact that Teng is cool about the whole thing is also a bit odd.

Still, a really well characterised game that I can deal with the plot weirdness (which isn't great in most computer games of this kind anyway).

Yeah, I described it to a friend as having not a great plot, but an actually competent one, which is rare for games. It doesn't ever really get up its own rear end, they wanted to tell a Hong Kong crime story, and they told a Hong Kong crime story well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any way to add your own music, either by adding a custom radio station or replacing the music for an existing one?

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I described it to a friend as having not a great plot, but an actually competent one, which is rare for games. It doesn't ever really get up its own rear end, they wanted to tell a Hong Kong crime story, and they told a Hong Kong crime story well.

If I had to describe it to someone, I'd also add that the characters are written pretty well, but drat, are some of the character deaths predictable as hell. Although I did expect Jackie Ma to get killed off incredibly early in the story. The fact that he got so far and almost made it out made his death legitimately sad to me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's some actual honest to God subtlety in the writing too, particularly with Wei Shen's background. They never really delve into his life in San Francisco, though there's a hell of a lot of things implied.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corzaa posted:

Pretty much. Broken-nose understands what it takes to keep the underworld off the police radar.

You could say that she knows the value of letting sleeping dogs lie. :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's some actual honest to God subtlety in the writing too, particularly with Wei Shen's background. They never really delve into his life in San Francisco, though there's a hell of a lot of things implied.

I like the way Dogeyes explores some of Wei's backstory.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

wottermelon posted:

Although I did expect Jackie Ma to get killed off incredibly early in the story. The fact that he got so far and almost made it out made his death legitimately sad to me.

I liked that it was intentionally made pretty predictable when it was about to happen, but when it does happen it completely blindsides you so it still makes you go "holy poo poo I didn't think it was gonna happen literally immediately."

Like, seriously. Jackie says he's going for a walk, in the rain, with the undercover mob already after him, after just being dragged out of a sandy grave having been buried alive. The game makes it pretty clear that he's probably not coming back, but it seriously threw me for a loop when the very next mission I got was a text from Jackie and then :stonk:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 30, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, although if you have a look at the datafiles (accessible on the phone) they flesh that out a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Athenry posted:

Have they ever come out and said exactly what Triad Wars is?

Last I heard it was a sequel in all but name, though I think the conceit is that you won't be tied down to one specific path through the plot and will get to pick sides (hence the "wars").

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I was under the impression all the DLC was "non-canonical?"

The problem with the unresolved bit very suddenly being "resolved" isn't that the triad is letting Wei go, it's that Wei is letting go. The whole storyline was that Wei actually and legitimately WAS going native. When he went on his end of the game rampage, it wasn't for the sake of the police. The unresolved bit is that Wei is still very much torn between the two; having it just go WELP AND THEN HE BECAME A COP THE END is hugely unsatisfying.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I was under the impression all the DLC was "non-canonical?"

The problem with the unresolved bit very suddenly being "resolved" isn't that the triad is letting Wei go, it's that Wei is letting go. The whole storyline was that Wei actually and legitimately WAS going native. When he went on his end of the game rampage, it wasn't for the sake of the police. The unresolved bit is that Wei is still very much torn between the two; having it just go WELP AND THEN HE BECAME A COP THE END is hugely unsatisfying.

What would you have expected him to do? Go back to the Sun On Yee after being ousted as an undercover? Yeah, that'd work out not very well at all. I do agree that not enough is shown in the opposite direction towards his ultimate decision, but I think we can infer that Wei found that the police could use more work with him trying to fix it, than stirring poo poo up as a lower-rung baddie and killing policemen, which would be a bit more uncharacteristic for Wei.

EDIT: I may also be reading too much into this, but I also feel as though the virtues observed between the two lives he leads is symbolic. If you consider the fact that throughout your time in the gang, you're seeing loyalty the likes of which isn't familiar to the sometimes cold and calculated nature of policework, you may see what I mean. It's pretty obvious that the two conflicting ideals are tearing at his moral center. His very last target is a corrupt lawman, and it'd be rather hypocritical if he said at the end of it all, "Yep, so this is why I should be a gangster instead".

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 31, 2014

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
I think this is the first GTA clone where I don't want to use guns. I tried doing a drug bust by shooting everybody, but it didn't seem sporting.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

more friedman units posted:

I think this is the first GTA clone where I don't want to use guns. I tried doing a drug bust by shooting everybody, but it didn't seem sporting.
Except for Grappler :colbert: Shotgun Grapplers every day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Free meathooks for everyone!

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm just glad Triad Wars isn't a loving cell phone or browser game, whatever it is. (For those who missed it, in Dec. 2013 one of the developers posted a since-deleted Tweet with a photo of a monitor displaying Triad Wars: it's of a shirtless dude standing outside with a bag. You couldn't tell much more about it or even graphical quality because the photo was blurry as hell, but it was clearly at least of Sleeping Dogs' style - full 3D, over the shoulder third person cam, etc.)

I hope they bring Wei back, but I'm not sure what else they could do with him.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

timeandtide posted:

I hope they bring Wei back, but I'm not sure what else they could do with him.

They could make a story about his gun-totting, restaurant-owning twin brother. That's classic, solid sequel material.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Caufman posted:

They could make a story about his gun-totting, restaurant-owning twin brother. That's classic, solid sequel material.

Only if there's a part in the game where you're sliding down the stairs, guns akimbo while shielding a pretend retarded guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

more friedman units posted:

If you use guns you are playing this game wrong, period.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Late on this, but it's pretty brilliant that this game never really forces you to choose which life you live--you're not expected to favor being a cop over being a triad, you're expected to do both, at once, flawlessly. Even the gameplay reinforces this. And most of Wei's triad missions aren't really in conflict with his goals as a cop--most of them are about beating the poo poo out of the worst elements of the triads, leaving the (relatively) benign or at least more tolerable triad elements intact. At no point does Wei really come off as a guy who's setting up everyone he meets for failure--not even privately. His friendship with the Water Street Boys seems genuine. Is he fooling them so well he's fooling himself too? And us?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

precision posted:

Pretty much. They rarely, if ever, felt right (I wouldn't be surprised if this was on purpose) and only really become an option if an encounter's staged to make a melee approach apparently unworkable (and I'd like to delude myself that I'm average at games so some of these may actually be melee-friendly) or the game literally won't let you continue until you make bullets happen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Pretty much. They rarely, if ever, felt right (I wouldn't be surprised if this was on purpose) and only really become an option if an encounter's staged to make a melee approach apparently unworkable (and I'd like to delude myself that I'm average at games so some of these may actually be melee-friendly) or the game literally won't let you continue until you make bullets happen.

I liked using guns when I got them. Of course, I used guns the right way.

Constantly jumping over walls to go into headshot slow motion, approaching the enemy steadily for melee takedowns.

Firing a gun regular speed is just wrong.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Headshotting everyone in a single continuous slo-mo sequence is the only proper use of guns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Honestly, the only logical conclusion to the story is really just Wei going back to San Francisco to confront his demons and put all of Hong Kong behind him. The Sun On Yee wouldn't have him, and after the murder spree he's way too politically hot to rejoin the police, so his only option is that he HAS to leave.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz posted:

Honestly, the only logical conclusion to the story is really just Wei going back to San Francisco to confront his demons and put all of Hong Kong behind him. The Sun On Yee wouldn't have him, and after the murder spree he's way too politically hot to rejoin the police, so his only option is that he HAS to leave.

Of course, then you end up with the open world game whiplash of the hero leaving the game area at the end, only for the postgame to pop him right back in there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fuzz posted:

He left San Francisco because of a murder spree to avenge his sister.

Wei Shen isn't a man who can do not-murder-sprees. At least Hong Kong is where he started, and he's got a couple superiors covering up the murders from both ends.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

While I wouldn't say Wei Shen is a particularly rounded character, his voice actor really endows him with charisma and believability. Also found this great rundown of the game's mechanics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwNkSQAWtE

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Narcissus1916 posted:

While I wouldn't say Wei Shen is a particularly rounded character, his voice actor really endows him with charisma and believability. Also found this great rundown of the game's mechanics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwNkSQAWtE

That was actually a really insightful and a really impressive analysis. Good find!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Narcissus1916 posted:

drat, this really nails what I love about this game compared to other open-world games. It doesn't quite touch on how the combat/driving mechanics feels good, but it definitely shows how the game has one, cohesive framework.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Narcissus1916 posted:

This guy's videos are consistently good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nativity In Black posted:

Yeah, and they're not too long and :words: like other YouTube game dissectors. Good find.

e: Although I do disagree a bit with the "women" segment, for a bunch of reasons. The dates, yeah, OK, objectifying women, but to criticize the game for not having female gangsters is a bit weird since it's just... realistic. And it's weird to praise the game for being "deal with it" about many things but not about the fact that women in Hong Kong (and criminal society in general) are put in an exploitive framework and not taken seriously. I think it is probably even completely intentional and not some kind of mis-step at all.

precision fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 3, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nativity In Black posted:

For the most part, but I think he did drop the ball on his Dishonored one.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

precision posted:

Yeah, and they're not too long and :words: like other YouTube game dissectors. Good find.

e: Although I do disagree a bit with the "women" segment, for a bunch of reasons. The dates, yeah, OK, objectifying women, but to criticize the game for not having female gangsters is a bit weird since it's just... realistic. And it's weird to praise the game for being "deal with it" about many things but not about the fact that women in Hong Kong (and criminal society in general) are put in an exploitive framework and not taken seriously. I think it is probably even completely intentional and not some kind of mis-step at all.

The game also ends with Auntie Jiang running the show.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And also, one of the dates even calls Wei out on his womanizing and walks out of his life because it turns out his commitment issues aren't just a gameplay conceit. I don't really know why he included that bit because there's a lot of evidence to the contrary, but the review is definitely good otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

precision posted:

When not to use guns:

When to use guns:

:haw:

• Locked thread