Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd just mention all the good things and leave off anything someone might judge you for. Sure you're doing great now but no matter how you present it some people looking at that resume are going to immediately throw it in the trash because they're going to make negative assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I did my second phone interview today with a company I was potentially interested in, it was with who would have been my future supervisor if I had been hired. The interview went well but after learning more about the role I'm not really interested in pursuing it any further. Should I just send the person an email thanking them for the interview but that I was no longer interested in pursuing the role? The next steps would be to go interview there in person, and I could use the interview experience, but it's a four hour drive and I don't want to waste their time.

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

they don't hire people who won't be employees for life.

Call them back and say good luck finding someone who isn't already a retiree.

You don't want to work there. That's such an outmoded 1940's "you need the company" culture. Employers like this always have the advantage unless they're willing to commit to never firing or laying you off. Be glad they tipped you off early.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

megazord posted:

Call them back and say good luck finding someone who isn't already a retiree.

You don't want to work there. That's such an outmoded 1940's "you need the company" culture. Employers like this always have the advantage unless they're willing to commit to never firing or laying you off. Be glad they tipped you off early.

This is true, but you should be aware that this is a common attitude in areas with a large military presence.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just got laid off a few hours ago. Not fired, this was purely for budget reasons. I've actually been applying for jobs already for a few months now, I'm financially in great shape, and I didn't particularly like the job I had. So if anything, I'm a little bit secretly happy and my main concern at the moment is how this is going to affect my job search.

What should I do with my resume? Should I pretend I'm still employed where I am? Should I add in the end date? Thoughts?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Xandu posted:

This is true, but you should be aware that this is a common attitude in areas with a large military presence.

Yeah I'm stuck in the position that it's a city most people don't move to just because they want to (in the middle of the Midwest), and there's a HUUUUGE Air Force base there so any time anyone just suddenly moves there employers are probably immediately suspicious it's because of the military. On one had I get where they're coming from, on the other it sucks for me since job hunting is hard enough as-is without this giant handicap.

They did call me back for an in-person interview and the people I talked to seemed genuinely nice apart from being a bit old-fashioned and even offered to do a Saturday interview if I didn't want to take time off my current job to do one on a weekday (it's a really small company). I may go, I need to go up there to do some housing paperwork anyway and I have an open invitation from another prospective employer to swing by and visit and meet everyone next time I'm in town so it wouldn't be a total waste of a trip.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

PlacidPanic posted:

I'm in my second year of college and currently filling out the application for an engineering coop program that I really want to get into. One of the questions asks "What is your most outstanding accomplishment to date? Why do you think so?" To me what immediately comes to mind is the fact that I spent my early twenties homeless and neck-deep in alcohol addiction and now after being sober for five years I'm maintaining a 3.99 GPA in an engineering program, leading a team in the robotics club and generally feeling healthy and happy to be alive.

Would it be bad for me to mention that on the application? I'm really proud of having gotten my poo poo together after it being so bleak but I'm not sure if even the words "addiction" or "homeless" might make potential interviewers uncomfortable.

3.99 and robotics leadership yes. Other stuff, don't do it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Another question:

I cold-called a company in my industry where I'm moving and they said they didn't have any open positions but they'd be more than happy to have me visit and meet their team so I'm going next Friday. Should I bring my resume or would that seem presumptuous since they already told me they didn't have any open positions at the moment? They have it on file as I emailed it to them during the cold calling.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Another question:

I cold-called a company in my industry where I'm moving and they said they didn't have any open positions but they'd be more than happy to have me visit and meet their team so I'm going next Friday. Should I bring my resume or would that seem presumptuous since they already told me they didn't have any open positions at the moment? They have it on file as I emailed it to them during the cold calling.

You should have it, in case any of the team members ask you for a copy. It looks nice to have it handy.

As an aside, what a weird thing for a company to do. Seems like a huge waste of time for people at that company, unless you are in some especially bizzarre/high-demand field.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

You should have it, in case any of the team members ask you for a copy. It looks nice to have it handy.

As an aside, what a weird thing for a company to do. Seems like a huge waste of time for people at that company, unless you are in some especially bizzarre/high-demand field.

Ok, I'll bring a couple copies. Better safe than sorry.

As for why, it's networking I suppose. I got in touch with them initially through the COO of one of our subcontractors so it's likely an empty gesture just to maintain a good relationship. I'm headed up there for a legitimate interview for another company so it's not a complete waste of my time.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I had an interview on Wednesday. The person I interviewed with just added me on LinkedIn. Good sign/bad sign?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I had an interview on Wednesday. The person I interviewed with just added me on LinkedIn. Good sign/bad sign?

Hard to tell. Some people add everyone they get a business card from, some people add everyone linkedin says they should add.

It's not a bad sign, but I wouldn't read anything into it.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Hello I'm here with the stupidest question of all time: I got an e-mail from someone from HR to set up a phone interview, but I can't tell from the name if it's a man or a woman and googling the name doesn't help me. How do I address them in my reply?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
By their name? What are you replying with where you can't avoid 3rd person pronouns?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Xandu posted:

By their name?

Yeah I just thought it would be awkward to use their full name or impolite to use just the first name but this is obviously the right answer

In conclusion I'm retarded

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Hello I'm here with the stupidest question of all time: I got an e-mail from someone from HR to set up a phone interview, but I can't tell from the name if it's a man or a woman and googling the name doesn't help me. How do I address them in my reply?

"Dear [Jordan/Casey/Jamie/whatever], I'll be available at 10:00 AM Monday, would that work well for an interview slot?".
Unless they flash a MD or PhD in their sig then it's Dr.Lastname.

Honestly, although I'm sure there are some extremely stuffy workplaces where people address each other by Mr/Mr/Mrs whatever 99.999% of the normal work is fine going by first names unless, again, a doctorate is involved. Hell, our 4 person C-suite insists we call them by their first names and they're all 60+ white conservative males.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Or even a simple "Hi," or "Hello," is fine.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
I'm probably over-reacting but I wanted to run this situation past this thread to see if anyone else has gone through something similar.

After 4 weeks of interviewing with this company, I finally received an offer. The offer states that a background check must be completed and I've never worried about these because I have no criminal history and I report all my past positions. The company is using a third-party background check service, HireRight. One Google search of HireRight and all I found was people having the worst experience and having to prove all sorts of things to clear their name.

I had a year and 9 months where I was unemployed, receiving unemployment through the state but at the same I was consulting for a friend who has his own business. I received no income from him because I didn't want it to affect my unemployment. I put on my resume and the background check form used by HireRight that I held a Self-Employed position during that time and was paid $0. After I submitted the form I received an email the next day stating that HireRight could not verify my employment for position "Self-Employed". I'm required to send over one of these items, tax license, 1099, business license, professionally prepared tax statement. I called HireRight immediately to explain the details of that position, that I wasn't paid, I don't have any of those documents and I was just consulting. They wanted the contact info of the guy I worked with to get verification, so I provided that. Being the paranoid person I am, I called up the new company that I would be working for and spoke to the HR guy assigned to my offer. I explained to him the situation and all its details. He didn't seem to care much and just said they are looking for criminal history, start/end dates of employment and education. He mentioned it is always hard to verify self-employment but to not worry and I should be fine.

Am I over-thinking this for no reason? This is a great job offer and I don't want to lose it because some third-party background check company can't figure out what I did during that time or that I should have listed that time as "unemployed" instead of "self-employed."

rndm fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 30, 2014

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Should be fine.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I usually address my emails however the person signs theirs. I see no problem with using just a first name, if that's the deal breaker between job and no job you probably don't want to work there anyway.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Quick question about an interview for a paid internship: I had one on Tuesday, but I haven't heard back from them yet. It's for a small company, about 30 or so people. How long do small companies tend to take to get back to people in these cases regarding their decisions?

I'm worried because I sent my thank you emails the night of and haven't heard anything back from them yet, and they didn't give me a timeframe at the end of the interview.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shipon posted:

Quick question about an interview for a paid internship: I had one on Tuesday, but I haven't heard back from them yet. It's for a small company, about 30 or so people. How long do small companies tend to take to get back to people in these cases regarding their decisions?

I'm worried because I sent my thank you emails the night of and haven't heard anything back from them yet, and they didn't give me a timeframe at the end of the interview.

When are you supposed to start?

Don't sweat it, it might take a while. That being said, don't wait until you hear back before you apply to other places.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm applying to a lot of jobs in California but I'm currently living in Texas. Is it a good or bad idea to use my parents' CA address on my resume? I feel like it would get me past the initial filtering, but I would have to explain why I lied later on.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
One thing I've learned when applying to out of state jobs, you can avoid putting your address on your resume, just have your necessary contact info (name, phone number, email). This way you aren't lying about your location if you do make it past their resume filter.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm applying to a lot of jobs in California but I'm currently living in Texas. Is it a good or bad idea to use my parents' CA address on my resume? I feel like it would get me past the initial filtering, but I would have to explain why I lied later on.

Use the California one and be 'temporarily out of the state' if they try to schedule an interview for the next day. Note that leaving off your address (at least your city and state) will make people assume you are remote and potentially discount you.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Yeah I just thought it would be awkward to use their full name or impolite to use just the first name but this is obviously the right answer

In conclusion I'm retarded

As someone with a unisex name, I'm totally used to getting my full name or just my first name in situations where Ms. [My Last Name] might be more strictly appropriate. I never hold it against anyone for not being able to psychically guess my gender.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So I have a question about the GPA I'm listing on my resume. I graduated with my bachelor's in mechanical engineering with a 3.69. I'm now a master's student, and I took an undergrad course that I did poorly in. The cumulative GPA on my transcripts now lists my undergraduate cumulative GPA as 3.63, as that undergrad course doesn't affect my graduate GPA. So now I don't know what to list.

I'd like to put the GPA I graduated with on my resume, but anyone checking my resume would have to check my graduation date and find the undergraduate GPA on my transcripts at that time to see the correct GPA. Needless to say, this isn't something I'm comfortable just hoping someone would see this. I know some people put their major and cumulative GPAs separately, so I could just do that. But because the GPA drop occurred after I graduated, does it even matter? I could just omit my undergrad GPA, put "Cum Laude" as I graduated with honors and rely on my graduate GPA of 4.0. The thing is that I've only been a master's student for a year, I am graduating next semester and I have no real world experience other than an RA position, if that even counts. Several of the places I'm applying to have a minimum GPA requirement, and I think that leaving out my undergraduate GPA would not be viewed kindly. I mean, both GPAs meet the requirements so that isn't an issue. I just don't want to be held up later down the road because of a course I took after I got my degree, or someone omitting my application altogether because of it. I suppose I could just put the smaller GPA, but that might be an issue down the line if they see I graduated with a higher GPA than that. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

So I have a question about the GPA I'm listing on my resume. I graduated with my bachelor's in mechanical engineering with a 3.69. I'm now a master's student, and I took an undergrad course that I did poorly in. The cumulative GPA on my transcripts now lists my undergraduate cumulative GPA as 3.63, as that undergrad course doesn't affect my graduate GPA. So now I don't know what to list.

I'd like to put the GPA I graduated with on my resume, but anyone checking my resume would have to check my graduation date and find the undergraduate GPA on my transcripts at that time to see the correct GPA. Needless to say, this isn't something I'm comfortable just hoping someone would see this. I know some people put their major and cumulative GPAs separately, so I could just do that. But because the GPA drop occurred after I graduated, does it even matter? I could just omit my undergrad GPA, put "Cum Laude" as I graduated with honors and rely on my graduate GPA of 4.0. The thing is that I've only been a master's student for a year, I am graduating next semester and I have no real world experience other than an RA position, if that even counts. Several of the places I'm applying to have a minimum GPA requirement, and I think that leaving out my undergraduate GPA would not be viewed kindly. I mean, both GPAs meet the requirements so that isn't an issue. I just don't want to be held up later down the road because of a course I took after I got my degree, or someone omitting my application altogether because of it. I suppose I could just put the smaller GPA, but that might be an issue down the line if they see I graduated with a higher GPA than that. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do?

Nobody* gives a poo poo about GPA. Especially graduate school GPA. Put whatever your school reports for your undergrad in case they check.

But honestly, really, seriously, nobody* gives a poo poo about GPA. In any case, 3.5+ in mech-e is top tier any way you slice it, you're not a philosophy major.

* real world employers (omitting med school, law school, etc)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Alright, I'll do that then. I guess I was over thinking it.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

I graduated a few years ago and worked abroad right after graduation. Now I'm back in the US and I've been looking for jobs that would hopefully involve using Chinese language skills in logistics such as purchasing, or continuing in marketing. Resume if anyone has input: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102814889/SAResumeCritique.docx

I've gotten 3 interviews so far (didn't progress from the first 2, the third was only yesterday) but I'd like to see more. Specifically I'm having difficulty in thinking of some applicable metrics as a tech writer so I can make it more achievement and less task based.

Here is a very basic critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm about to start throwing around a cover letter and CV to a bunch of laboratory heads to try and get an internship. Is this an appropriate cover letter? Each will be slightly customized to specific labs and their research.

Dear ,
An education based laboratory is an exciting place where important data and biological advances are achieved. Such an environment requires intelligent, hard-working, creative, and adaptable individuals to drive these advances. Permanent staff and temporary interns such as myself alike fill vital roles in the laboratory while also passing on and receiving knowledge. I can bring all of the afore mentioned qualities as well as a vital source of energy to your lab.

I have much experience waiting to be put to use. I have cultivated multiple generations of various microorganisms and cell cultures. I have spent time working with a class II biological safety cabinet and am comfortable with its use. I have fixed, stained, and identified many types of microorganisms as well as some of their surface structures. I also have experience analyzing genetic material, counting colonies using a hemecytometer, and am excellent about keeping a sterile and clean work environment.

I have attached my curriculum vitae and would love to speak with you about how I can be a part of your exciting research. I would love to make a contribution and learn much in the process. Thank for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,

edit: just dropped my current version of my resume onto google drive if I could kindly receive some input there as well. I'm missing the most recent employer but that's about it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKJbdLx57rob0hEV3JTNDJwaEU/edit?usp=sharing

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 1, 2014

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Bit of an awkward situation, but I got a call from a potential employer yesterday morning and we set up an interview for Thursday afternoon. He said he would send me an email right away confirming the location/other details, but I haven't gotten anything yet. How long should I wait to call him back?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

Bit of an awkward situation, but I got a call from a potential employer yesterday morning and we set up an interview for Thursday afternoon. He said he would send me an email right away confirming the location/other details, but I haven't gotten anything yet. How long should I wait to call him back?

Just call him, say you need to plan for the week, and ask for the e-mail. He said he'd send it right away, and didn't. A call shouldn't bother him.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

I knew my resume was weak in some places but this really helps clear up what exactly needs help. The critique is very much appreciated!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Not about resumes, but kinda related: 2 of 3 recruiters that have reached out to me have not returned my return calls. Is that common? Are there so many unemployed that if you don't pick up the first time, they don't bother trying again? Or is that a sign that these guys aren't on the up-and-up in some way?

Also, it sounds odd, but is it normal for a recruiter to set you up with a temp-to-hire job but be paying you instead of the employer? Is it just a means to screw you out of benefits?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Temps usually get paid by their temp agencies.

We had a temp for a few months, we'd fax her time sheet to the agency, they'd email us a bill, we'd pay them and they paid her. I assume benefits, if any, were handled by the agency.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Interview attire question:

I need clothes that won't look awful after being stuffed in a suitcase then worn in a car for 45 minutes before two back to back interviews. Both places aren't super formal corporate, one is the same industry as where I currently work (jeans and a not t-shirt shirt is the norm) and a really small furniture company. Both have the potential to be dusty/dirty. In this case is a nice pair of dark wash jeans acceptable? I was thinking really nice jeans, nice shirt and jacket. I own some shirts that travel well, but all my dress pants don't no matter how carefully I pack them.

I can always use the hotel iron, but I won't get in till close to midnight and I'd rather not be up doing midnight pants ironing if I can help it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Unless otherwise stated I would wear slacks and since you mentioned that they might get dirty I'd pack an extra pair that you could switch into after the first interview if required. Is the issue with packing that they might get wrinkled? I'd just fold them once in the suitcase and quickly iron the fold out in the morning as it should only take a couple minutes.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been at the same company a long time- going on 11 years, now. I've gone from a sys admin to the IT manager, but since that's happened I've kind of stalled out- It's a tiny IT organization that has shrunk (4 people now, including me), and my official title went from manager to Senior Technologist II or something.

A couple questions I have:
-What title(s) to put on the resume? I've stuck with IT Manager as my duties haven't changed and it's most similar to jobs I've been looking for. I do mention in the first bullet point that I have had progressive career/knowledge/responsibility growth through my tenure to indicate I haven't been sitting at the same title for years.

-References: Everyone I've worked with the last 10 years either still works with me or has moved on. I have one solid reference, but what should I do in job listings/systems that require several?

-Applying to appropriate jobs: I've been a generalist forever- I do everything from switch/router configuration to desktop support to budgeting and purchasing. I'm assuming that it's best to tailor my resume for the job, but am I at risk if I omit all of the other things I've done? For example, if I wanted to apply for a Senior Storage Admin position, should I only talk about my experience with Netapp, SAN/NAS and whatever else the job may be requiring?

-Lack of response: I haven't applied for a ton of jobs, just picking and choosing over time. The only interview I've had was in October for a job I had applied for in January of last year, which seems like an insane amount of time to delay. Most of the time I don't even get a rejection letter/email. Is that normal, or am I missing some crucial aspect of applying for jobs that has emerged since I was last in the job market a decade ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Glass of Milk posted:

I've been at the same company a long time- going on 11 years, now. I've gone from a sys admin to the IT manager, but since that's happened I've kind of stalled out- It's a tiny IT organization that has shrunk (4 people now, including me), and my official title went from manager to Senior Technologist II or something.

A couple questions I have:
-What title(s) to put on the resume? I've stuck with IT Manager as my duties haven't changed and it's most similar to jobs I've been looking for. I do mention in the first bullet point that I have had progressive career/knowledge/responsibility growth through my tenure to indicate I haven't been sitting at the same title for years.

-References: Everyone I've worked with the last 10 years either still works with me or has moved on. I have one solid reference, but what should I do in job listings/systems that require several?

-Applying to appropriate jobs: I've been a generalist forever- I do everything from switch/router configuration to desktop support to budgeting and purchasing. I'm assuming that it's best to tailor my resume for the job, but am I at risk if I omit all of the other things I've done? For example, if I wanted to apply for a Senior Storage Admin position, should I only talk about my experience with Netapp, SAN/NAS and whatever else the job may be requiring?

-Lack of response: I haven't applied for a ton of jobs, just picking and choosing over time. The only interview I've had was in October for a job I had applied for in January of last year, which seems like an insane amount of time to delay. Most of the time I don't even get a rejection letter/email. Is that normal, or am I missing some crucial aspect of applying for jobs that has emerged since I was last in the job market a decade ago?

What I've been told (and have been doing) is to mention the relevant skills in the summary at the top of the resume and to still have a skills section with everything that you got near the bottom.