Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think the cannibal prediction is unrealistic, I just think it's interesting that some people don't want to consider any alternative.

Dezztroy posted:

It's a common trope in zombie fiction.

So what's an example that isn't The Walking Dead comics or video game? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it was in those, and to be fair that's probably enough to indicate it might make it on the show as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I honestly can't think of any zombie fiction that features cannibalism prominently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

JEEVES420 posted:

Human sized grill man :aaaaa:

For a self-sustaining colony, absolutely. Though it'd have been hilarious if she just had a little Weber BBQ that could barely fit a single 20 oz steak on it.

I know cannibalism is the popular theory, but I really hope it's not that. It's too cliche, especially for a supposed large society of survivors; I could buy a small faction like Daryl's bandit group doing it though. There's a shitload of fruit and vegetables, but people of Terminus are going to go through the trouble of venturing out for miles to put up signs and run a hail mary of a radio signal, assuming people can even hear it? Just for meat? There's got to be a deeper purpose there, and clearly it's something very off, but making cannibalism the main driver of effort just seems too forced. I'm hoping for a cult of some kind.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Dezztroy posted:

It's a common trope in zombie fiction.

Can you provide some examples? I did a quick google search but didnt find any. I am honestly curious sine I cant think of any.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

JEEVES420 posted:

Can you provide some examples? I did a quick google search but didnt find any. I am honestly curious sine I cant think of any.

It's a common trope in post-apocalyptic fiction. The vast majority of zombie fiction is outbreak fiction. It never goes long enough for cannibalism.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The book version of World War Z heavily implies that people who tried to escape north turned to cannibalism when food started to become scarce. It is also present in many of the old, more gory types of zombie b-movies, like Zombie Holocaust. Then there are other non-zombie, but postapocalyptic stories that include cannibalism, like the road.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Presumably, if you had a large community to feed, you'd need a large grill to get it done in any timely manner. So the whole "grill size" argument still seems kind of bunk to me.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is there anyone who thinks that solely because of the grill size? Lot's of strawmanning here.

The idea that they may be a cannibal group comes from the fact that:

- it is the first outwardly friendly place we've encountered in the entire series, while every other group we've encountered has been hostile to strangers and fortified.
- Beth was recently kidnapped, and it is unlikely that that story would be unrelated.
- The place that is trying hard to recruit people from all over the place is also mostly deserted.
- In a world where even experienced hunters fight over scraps of rabbits and the like, they have enough to have a grill going, regardless of size
- Lack of food has been a plot point frequently reinforced this half of the season.
- every other version of the TWD universe includes a cannibalism storyline.

It may be cannibals, it may not be. But this derail to complain that it is all based on grill size or that it is in any way similar to thinking that Andrea was attacking her friends is ridiculous.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Yeah, it's probably Beth. :( I really hope not, but someone's gotta die.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Her singing annoys me

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Frankensteined walkers aside, I would like to see some more of the walker applications.

Like the armless, jawless slave walkers Michonne had. Also how come the walkers didn't attack her on this half of the season while she was wandering in the woods with her new slaves? Like, is this some established thing that if you have a walker on a leash, other walkers have no interest in you?

On that same note, they just dropped the whole "drench clothes in zombie gore and they wont care anymore" thing after trying it once. You know guys, it seemed to worked, maybe you should take that idea further. Like, I don't know, get some overalls or a cape or whatever and dip it in some gore, see if it works out. You are behind fences, in safety, and you had the time. Also you are constantly going on supply runs, I think it would be pretty useful if it worked.

Although I think they also said in the beginning of the season that the stench from the zombie corpses on the fence lures more of them in there, so who knows how it works. I mean, that was the reason they started burying them? But at the same time though, the walkers don't attack each other, they want the living.

??????????

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
Maybe their dark secret is they're at a railway junction and can use hand powered rail cars to go to distribution centers and get lots of supplies easily?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gortarius posted:

Frankensteined walkers aside, I would like to see some more of the walker applications.

Like the armless, jawless slave walkers Michonne had. Also how come the walkers didn't attack her on this half of the season while she was wandering in the woods with her new slaves? Like, is this some established thing that if you have a walker on a leash, other walkers have no interest in you?

This was noted and explained in the episode where the Governor's men investigated her old walkers.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

Maybe their dark secret is they're at a railway junction and can use hand powered rail cars to go to distribution centers and get lots of supplies easily?

Actually it bothered me the last couple episodes that there was no activity even as they got quite close to Terminus. No foraging parties? Patrols? Building up the fortifications?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 7, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 7, 2014

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Terminus is a virtual reality operated by the Senator.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

boom boom boom posted:

That's not really a man sized grill. try to grill a man on that grill and his arms would be untouched

Boom Boom Boom knows from experience!

I'm not arguing about the cannibalism thing. Just thought the post was funny.

escape artist posted:

Actually it was said that Terminus was "no good for people like them" - so, no good for creepy, post-apocalyptic rapists. That was my interpretation at least.

Yep. I like the creepy wickerman cult idea. Cannibalism would also be funny. Whoever explained the kuru thing in "The Book of Eli", thank you. I had no loving clue why the protagonists would be concerned about the old people shaking and why that proved that they had turned to cannibalism. I'm pretty sure they didn't mention it in the movie and I never read the book.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 29, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

canuckanese posted:

So what's an example that isn't The Walking Dead comics or video game? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it was in those, and to be fair that's probably enough to indicate it might make it on the show as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I honestly can't think of any zombie fiction that features cannibalism prominently.

I should have said post-apocalyptic fiction instead of zombie fiction. The Road, Book of Eli, World War Z are a couple.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Don't get me wrong it wouldn't surprise me if it was cannibalism, just the "grill size" argument is not very good.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Wizard of Smart posted:

Don't get me wrong it wouldn't surprise me if it was cannibalism, just the "grill size" argument is not very good.

But it's something and they didn't give us much else. Let us wildly speculate dammit!!

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
People are getting really serious over simple speculation. I think it's probably cannibals, but maybe not! Who knows?!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
We will find out soon!

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

We will find out soon!

You sure about that? There are still some people that have to make it to terminus... Wouldn't surprise me if we got a good three to five minutes of terminus, and they show something quick as the final scene.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

xxEightxx posted:

You sure about that? There are still some people that have to make it to terminus... Wouldn't surprise me if we got a good three to five minutes of terminus, and they show something quick as the final scene.

That would make me angry, I would actually get angry over a tv show

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
That's the recipe TWD used for every episode for a long time. I hope they don't return to it, because it was the worst.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

xxEightxx posted:

This would be lovely so that's probably how here going to go.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

VDay posted:

Yeah like I said there are definitely people who just need to watch the god drat show, but even in your example the confusion was caused by the driver of the van wearing a helmet for some reason. The natural and understandable reaction is 'Who is that and why are they hiding her face?' Now obviously any normal person would think about it for 2 seconds and realize that it's obviously not Andrea, but it's little poo poo like that that is completely unnecessary and only helps to confuse a (admittedly stupid) portion of the audience.

You mean it was completely unnecessary to wear full armor while delivering a truck load of zombies known to have a thing for chewing on any part of exposed flesh?
No, that's not the show's fault, that's retards watching the show and thinking that andrea would completely 180 in the snap of a finger and attack some group of people without reason

JEEVES420 posted:

maybe they have a cattle car train in the train yard.

Cause we all know how cows love to live in spaces the same size as them....
Seriously? Now you're just being stupid

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 29, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wizard of Smart posted:

Ya know, it's almost like everyone's listed other reasons along with that one, so considering the idea trashed because you think "grill size doesn't matter" is "not very good"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Why weren't there anyone at Terminus aside from the woman? Even if it's not cannibals, it's something, especially from the preview at the end of the episode. There's no way in hell Terminus is actually a good place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SocketWrench posted:

You mean it was completely unnecessary to wear full armor while delivering a truck load of zombies known to have a thing for chewing on any part of exposed flesh?

When there's a full-mask motorcycle helmet on television, it's means one of two things: A massive twist reveal when it comes off, or somebody hosed up and left the personification of a question mark onscreen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SocketWrench posted:

No, that's not the show's fault, that's retards watching the show and thinking that andrea would completely 180 in the snap of a finger and attack some group of people without reason

I think you're missing my point. I am in no way trying to defend the people who thought it was Andrea, or deny that that entire "theory" was idiotic and made zero sense to anyone who is actually watching the show. My point is that on any other well-produced/directed show, it is a complete non-issue because the director or whoever just has the person take their helmet off as they run away from the truck. It's like how in any action movie if the good guy and the bad guy are about to have a fight but are wearing helmets/masks/hats, they'll either throw them off or find a convenient reason to not wear them before their big showdown. It's just something you do when you make a TV show or movie, precisely because there are idiots out there who will immediately start to come up with dumb theories if you don't.

There are plenty of shows out there that convey much more complex and subtle ideas than anything on TWD, but their viewers aren't just constantly lost because most of those shows are well directed and the writers understand how to write for television. TWD writers constantly write some scene that they obviously thought would be cool without fully thinking out how it will actually play on TV to an audience that doesn't have the script in front of them. It's not so much about spelling everything out and keeping things super simple so that idiots never get confused, it's about writing/directing/editing scenes in such a way that any confusion can only come from the things that the writers intend to be mysterious or confusing. Again, not actually defending any of the ridiculous poo poo that's come from people not watching the show, just saying that the show itself could help alleviate a lot of those "issues". And like I said earlier, I think it's gotten a lot better about that compared to even season 3, so hopefully they'll continue to improve.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Austrian mook posted:

Why weren't there anyone at Terminus aside from the woman? Even if it's not cannibals, it's something, especially from the preview at the end of the episode. There's no way in hell Terminus is actually a good place.
I have to assume it's a trap, and the next episode is going to start with them getting knocked out or held up at gunpoint or something. They're pretty boxed in. We also have to assume that Rick, Michonne, and Carl got there first, and they are nowhere to be found either.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Austrian mook posted:

Was the voice on the radio hers? It's been so long now I can't even remember if it was male or female.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Philip J Fry posted:

Was the voice on the radio hers? It's been so long now I can't even remember if it was male or female.

If the voice is the same one as over the preview then it was here's.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Philip J Fry posted:

It probably will turn out to be.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to assume it's a trap, and the next episode is going to start with them getting knocked out or held up at gunpoint or something. They're pretty boxed in. We also have to assume that Rick, Michonne, and Carl got there first, and they are nowhere to be found either.

Why in the world would you assume that? I assume rick has a date with a group of very bad men before he gets to terminus.

My assumption is that if there is a dark underbelly to Terminus, that will literally be the last shot if the season.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
Are we allowed to talk about the previews for the next episode in our theorizing? Or is that spoiler territory?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just put it in spoiler tags.

Sumoh
Mar 28, 2014

Austrian mook posted:

Yea, the place didn't even look secure. I mean a chain on a gate with no lock to keep the gate closed and the colony secure? No guards or anyone else to be seen watching the perimeter Something is off with Terminus and while I'm leaning towards cannibalism like most others there is definitely a probability of some other hidden plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is it possible she's alone and is a serial killer like people thought Bob was?

• Locked thread