Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It is a Sim with a capital S, physics-wise (my wheel came with GT5 and it is clown shoes in comparison) but currently doesn't have tire wear (only temp) or things like ignition and engine failures (except due to improper shifting, dropping two gears at full throttle will kill most of the engines in the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

It is a Sim with a capital S, physics-wise (my wheel came with GT5 and it is clown shoes in comparison) but currently doesn't have tire wear (only temp) or things like ignition and engine failures (except due to improper shifting, dropping two gears at full throttle will kill most of the engines in the game).

I disagree - it is a pretty solid sim, certainly more of a sim than LFS for example, but it feels a little bit arcadey for me in comparison to rF2. It's really easy to save a bad slide or overdrive the car without much consequence.

Still fun as hell, though - I'm going to try out the new cars for most of tomorrow afternoon.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Quote is not edit.

I would say it's a lowercase-s sim.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Whoops, forgot to say that it still doesn't have multiplayer and probably won't till 1.0.

Video I recorded a bit ago doing the JP hillclimb in the T125, going to have to try the 312t there tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEfVe6So3xc

CaseFace McGee posted:

I disagree - it is a pretty solid sim, certainly more of a sim than LFS for example, but it feels a little bit arcadey for me in comparison to rF2. It's really easy to save a bad slide or overdrive the car without much consequence.

I'm gonna download the rF2 demo again and hope that compares, just to see the difference. On the other end of the spectrum, I reinstalled Shift 2 lol so I could mod in some cars. It was somehow more of a pain than rfactor modding. A lot more.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

365 Nog Hogger posted:

going to have to try the 312t there tomorrow.

Well look out for parts where your back tires dip into the road glitch wise and get flipped! just happened to me twice. edit: nevermind i just don't have the updated version of the track.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 29, 2014

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I'm gonna download the rF2 demo again and hope that compares, just to see the difference. On the other end of the spectrum, I reinstalled Shift 2 lol so I could mod in some cars. It was somehow more of a pain than rfactor modding. A lot more.

FYI, the demo content of Lime Rock and the Corvette isnt a great combination. I feel the Corvette is one of the weakest cars ISI has made. Also, the out of box setup is JUNK and the car is practically undriveable. Look for a setup on the ISI forums for it, or if you're stuck I might have a halfway decent setup.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

CactusWeasle posted:

FYI, the demo content of Lime Rock and the Corvette isnt a great combination. I feel the Corvette is one of the weakest cars ISI has made. Also, the out of box setup is JUNK and the car is practically undriveable. Look for a setup on the ISI forums for it, or if you're stuck I might have a halfway decent setup.

I installed a setup I found on the web and it made the vette driveable, but overall everything feels and looks like rF 1.5, you know? Everything seems pretty solid, but just feels dated already. I found there was no middleground between perfect grip and unsaveable spin, partially because it seems that there is not a lot of useful ffb there, partially because I couldn't seem to oversteer the stupid-powerful-RWD car for some reason, only spinning off grass. If it ever goes on sale I might pick it up to try out some better car/track combos, however.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I completely understand where you're coming from, and that IS the impression you will get of RF2 from that demo car/track combination. They really arent doing themselves any favours having the Corvette in the demo. With a good setup you can *drive* the car faster, but you still can't feel when the car is at the edge. It's a badly modeled car, I don't drive it at all anymore.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I completely agree, the Camaro is a bit better though. I mostly drive the historic cars, but the roadster may be my new favorite.

If rF2 had Assetto Corsa's cars, I would be very happy. Even better, just give me a Cortina.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
This is the current peak of rF2 machinery:

Best :10euro: I've spent in years :getin:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bit of a mind blowing discovery about Logitech G25 / G27s - Turns out the wheel has shortcuts built into the hardware, accessible by pressing combinations of buttons.

Why didn't Logitech ever mention this?

All the info here:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g27-g25-dfgt-undocumented-wheel-lock-settings-guide.286646/

Sorry if a repost, but this changes things for the better for me.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Yeah, this is really handy for going from iRacing/Assetto Corsa to SimBin stuff, which seems to me to only use 240 degrees.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miEQOt-XhBU

Lap 1 of the Track Day challenge in AC, medium (95%) CPU difficulty. It's kind of a weird special event (new in .8), as the X-Bow is just kind of faster than the rest of the field, at least in the corners. Anyway, this video features a set of broadcast tv cameras someone put together and a bunch of unsafe passing (no contact though). There are 4 more laps, but they're pretty uninteresting as I just widen the gap.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LB8Rc01SZ4

Tried a patented Prof. Farnsworth dimensional drift, and apparently it worked.

Video is poo poo quality, because the only encoder I had was the one that comes with MSI Afterburner, and the game proceeded to crash straight after it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Anyone wanting to test rFactor 2, there's a new demo out with the BTCC Civic and Silverstone http://rfactor.net/web/2014/04/15/rfactor-2-build-660-new-touring-car-demo/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I've been playing RBR a lot lately and now I'm sad when I play track racing games and I can't just throw the car around corners like a maniac :whitewater:

MateoV
Jan 13, 2005

never been seen it
Hey guys, if anyone has been eyeing the Logitech G27 racing wheel I'm selling mine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628192

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Project CARS come hell or high water will officially launch in November. Will it be finished? Probably not even close.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

:siren: Assetto Corsa multiplayer next Friday :siren:

Been waiting for that for a long time.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

CaseFace McGee posted:

:siren: Assetto Corsa multiplayer next Friday :siren:

Been waiting for that for a long time.

Yuuuuup, also someone released a blender plugin to output tracks to the right format. So far the only thing done with it is a half-done top gear test-track, and the official mod tools will come with 1.0, but hey, stuff's happening!!!

e: I tried out the new rF2 demo, and the civic is much better than the vette. Physics-wise, it seemed... too easy? Oversteer kinda snapped itself back in on its own.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 24, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
AC multiplayer is coming at the exact perfect time. During the summer I can't see myself racing enough to justify the sub but want to have something to do the occasional race in.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Some original track WIP's are available on the AC forums now, including the one I am having fun sliding around in the above shot (Doriftu Mountain 0.1): http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/dorifto-mountain-release-0-1.9117

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
On ac is it just me or do the cars have over exaggerated see saw effect?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What do you mean with see-saw effect?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
@KunosStefano · 8m
Sorry about that.So much work on multi and I broke the single player :( Need another round of test,we wont release today but later this week

:haw:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What do you mean with see-saw effect?

Where the rear of the car keeps going back and forth after it loses composure. Dont know what else to call it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think tank slapper or something.

That said, it's something the tire model and/or its parameters influence (I'll spare anyone a discussion about that, since everyone has a different idea which game's the more correct physics). You should try to let your steering wheel do its thing on its own a little more, when that happens. If the caster of the car is simulated properly, the FFB should make the wheel countersteer automatically, if you don't hold an iron grip. You then just need to get a feel as when to correct that action and/or pull the tire straight to prevent heading off the other way.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Where the rear of the car keeps going back and forth after it loses composure. Dont know what else to call it.
You need to change you driving style. Its you making the car do that. You can try lowering tire pressures too, especially on the rear. For the street cars most of the default pressures are way too high, around 32 psi on the front and 30 on the rear works well for most street tires.

Everyone else, check out RaceDepartment. there is a guy, aspec7878, that is converting tracks to Assetto Corsa, so far he has Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, and Phillip Island converted: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/ac-tracks.8/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SanitysEdge posted:

Everyone else, check out RaceDepartment. there is a guy, aspec7878, that is converting tracks to Assetto Corsa, so far he has Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, and Phillip Island converted: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/ac-tracks.8/

Oh hell yes. Laguna is my #1 most wanted circuit for AC. I still hold out hope for a Kunos laser-scanned version, but this is still christmas for me. Thanks for the heads-up.
e: That Laguna is bumpy as gently caress, like, way too bumpy.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 3, 2014

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Mootallica posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LB8Rc01SZ4

Tried a patented Prof. Farnsworth dimensional drift, and apparently it worked.

Video is poo poo quality, because the only encoder I had was the one that comes with MSI Afterburner, and the game proceeded to crash straight after it.

this game looks awesome

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The half-assed rFactor-to-AC ports continue! I spent about two hours driving Glava Zete in an F40 today, and somehow this is the best run I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGgs5aJfAo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The half-assed rFactor-to-AC ports continue! I spent about two hours driving Glava Zete in an F40 today, and somehow this is the best run I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGgs5aJfAo

What about the conversions is half-assed? I'm asking honestly, I've never tried either s but AC looks pretty promising and if it's expandable I'm curious about its strengths and shortcomings.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

GutBomb posted:

What about the conversions is half-assed? I'm asking honestly, I've never tried either s but AC looks pretty promising and if it's expandable I'm curious about its strengths and shortcomings.

Well, a lot of people are skipping the whole asking permission part, and there is a lot of refinement that could be done when bringing these old tracks to games a decade more advanced. The tracks have a lot of bumps that were less pronounced in rF, but are super jarring in AC. I don't know a lot about 3d modeling and such, but my impression is that by adding some additional points to the bumps (say, 3 points making a more gradual rise rather than the existing 1, which creates a raised triangle) they would be smoother. Glava zete works pretty well as-is, an Joux Plane is great, but Kegetys, the guy who ported it, has fixed a few things along the way.
I guess it's less half-assed conversion than straight conversion not being quite enough sometimes.

e: Screenshot of AC's X-bow with the ring around it from someone working on porting the 2007 Nords from rF to AC, before scaling it up:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 4, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Im really glad AC supports stuff like this. It will be the difference between a game that lasts 10 years and 2 years.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm realy liking AC but I seem to lack the conentration to string more than 3 clean laps together sometimes, although I am using the controller with minimal assists (I think just auto throttle blip)

How do you install mods on AC?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

smelly cabin filter posted:

I'm realy liking AC but I seem to lack the conentration to string more than 3 clean laps together sometimes, although I am using the controller with minimal assists (I think just auto throttle blip)

How do you install mods on AC?

At the moment, just copy the files into the proper folder of your install (eg: for a track, \SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\tracks).

So, that Nords conversion is coming along. Very bumpy (I know the real thing is, but this is something else), and, uh, interesting looking:

I haven't completed a lap yet, but I did flip over the barrier in the Exos and go for an open-wheel off-road adventure.

If anything, it just solidifies my resolve to buy the laser-scanned version Kunos is putting out in september.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I haven't completed a lap yet, but I did flip over the barrier in the Exos and go for an open-wheel off-road adventure.

If anything, it just solidifies my resolve to buy the laser-scanned version Kunos is putting out in september.

Race cars are usually garbage to drive. The Exos doesn't interest me at all. You need tracks specifically designed for race cars to have any fun with them.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

365 Nog Hogger posted:

So, that Nords conversion is coming along. Very bumpy (I know the real thing is, but this is something else), and, uh, interesting looking:

Nordschleife conversion for Minecraft?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Helicon One posted:

Nordschleife conversion for Minecraft?
You joke, but someone did make a BMW mod for minecraft. Like, high poly BMWs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4
Are all the new tracks being posted to the AC forums, or is there somewhere else too?

• Locked thread