Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm more worried about getting it on myself and not noticing, then touching things that don't need ink on them.

Like your wiener. Then anyone else who saw it would see ink on it and be like yep he touched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't have much need for bleach-proof check signatures but it is kinda nice to mail something fairly important and know that if it gets rained on the address isn't going anywhere. I'm also a little spill-prone and have a lot of notes with coffee and tea on them that still have all the notes intact.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My replacement bottle of Private Reserve Ebony Green also molded.

I am never buying PR ink again.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Organics Studio makes an ink additive that supposedly prevents mold. It sounds like a neat thing.

http://www.isellpens.com/product_p/os_flo-plus.htm

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

My friend just stuck a brand new white Kaweco Sport into a bottle of Baystate Blue to fill it.

The section is now permanently blue. RIP.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

pienipple posted:

My replacement bottle of Private Reserve Ebony Green also molded.

I am never buying PR ink again.

What's the PR lifespan? I just got a bottle a week ago.

At leasts it's only 9bux if it goes.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the PR lifespan? I just got a bottle a week ago.

At leasts it's only 9bux if it goes.

I've got 4 PR ink samples that I've had for over a year, nothing wrong with them.

PR do seem to have some higher incidences with mould, and I know J. Herbin had a problem a couple years or so back as well, but the odds of a bottle developing mould are very very low.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Had the first bottle less than a month when I found my Vista's nib covered in green fuzz. Opened the bottle and there were little fuzzballs floating on top. I'd transferred some to a sample vial which also molded.

Had this bottle since the end of February and haven't used it, gf opened it today because the lid was bulging and it's got a fuzz island. I did not contaminate it because I never used any of it.

I have samples of other PR colors that are older and seem fine, but I'm just done with them.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Private Reserve and Noodler's inks are lovely, intense colors, but they're really not worth the potential troubles. Both are heavy on the dyes and can tend towards clogs. PR inks are well documented to have mold issues. And the Noodler's inks--especially the absurdly anti-fraud proof and survive the apocalypse inks--can cause clogs because the chemicals used to attain the fraud proof ratings are particles which eventually will settle in a pen or bottle of ink. The extreme cases of bleeding and feathering Noodler's inks display are caused by the extreme amounts of surfactants put in the ink to keep their stuff from settling and clogging.

Just stick with J. Herbin, Pelikan, Waterman, Pilot or even Parker and Sheaffer inks.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Eh, if we prized practicality above all else we'd be using a different kind of pen altogether. I figure using dangerous inks is just part of the fun for some folks.

Also you're missing Diamine, who have plenty of good colors and don't tend to cause problems. I'm using their Oxblood right now and drat that is one nice ink.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
If it had molded in a pen that wasn't completely disassemble-able without a feed that'll tolerate a bleaching, I'd be super pissed.

Now with pictures!

The first bottle of Private Reserve Ebony Green, at this point I've had it about 3 months? I'd used a bit before it went fuzzy on me. Every so often I have a peek out of curiosity and new islands of scuzz are constantly rising and falling.

The bottle Goulet sent to replace that one, about a month old but I was wary of using it after cleaning the ropy crud out of the Vista's feed. Built a good bit of pressure in the bottle, the cap was visibly convex.

And both side by side with their caps

pienipple fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 27, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I've been using only Noodler's for a while now and I've had no issues except a bit of bleeding on really cheap or really thin paper.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

You're correct, I did forget Diamine. Diamine is great too.

I have some Noodler's ink that I do use. Both PR and Noodler's have some beautiful shades and fun properties. It is a part of the fun of having this hobby. I love trying out inks from all makers. You just have to be aware of the inks you use and be careful. Noodler's and PR inks do suffer because of the properties that make them so memorable. It's a clear trade-off.

Minenfeld! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 27, 2014

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
I've been using Noodler's Black in my TWSBI 580 (F) day in and day out for uh... weeks now. Months? I've lost track.

I didn't get the black out of any particular desire for bullet-proof-ness although I like stuff being very water resistant, its mostly just that it is black as black and I wanted a super black ink. I couldn't ever get a good real-world comparison between it and Heart of Darkness so I just went for Black. What can I say, I'm boring and don't like exciting colors!

One thing I did learn though which took me quite a while to figure out was that Noodlers Black settles like crazy. It was getting fainter and bled more and more in every subsequent refill, then I thought hey wait, maybe I should try shaking this bottle before filling. Felt a little silly that it took me that long to think about it, but it is super dark and consistent and barely even bleeds on crappy copy paper. Subsequent searching around seemed to confirm it, I guess it uses a lot of super fine particulate matter that settles quickly.

I get nib creep but it never gets drippy or leaks into the cap or anything, purely aesthetic, and I don't mind it -- I actually kind of like that it makes it look 'used' instead of being weirdly pristine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

Why is my TWSBI mini getting loads of condensation inside the cap?

You capped it somewhere where the dew point was above the ambient temperature of the location you later visited.

Inside the cap you trapped some relatively humid air from inside your workplace and when you went to drive home in your cold-as-balls car you noticed the condensation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Solumin posted:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Rollerball_Pens_s/883.htm
No idea about quality, unfortunately, but they're a starting point.

I wish there was a deep red/burgundy bulletproof ink. It would be great for marking exams and essays.

Kaweco has always had a good rep and I found this last night:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/88179-kaweco-eyedropper-roller-ball-pen/

Cartridge rollerball, can be converted to eyedropper rollerball, Monteverde makes a converter for it as well. Sounds excellent.

edit: Bought one from jetpens with some cartridges. Probably turn it into an eyedropper:
http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Ice-Sport-Ink-Cartridge-Roller-Ball-Pen-Medium-Point-Yellow-Body/pd/7996

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 27, 2014

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Been practicing with my Parallels. I think it's coming along pretty well so far.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 27, 2014

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

+1 for never having problems with Noodler's inks, I've always had bulletproof inks in my rotation.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SnakesRevenge posted:

Been practicing with my Parallels. I think it's coming along pretty well so far.

Looks good, but you might want to make that image a little smaller.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Yikes, I just bought a bunch of PR samples, guess I should get them used ASAP.

Iroshizuku is becoming my go to brand even though I can't spell or pronounce the name. I like their colors and the way they behave. Air Corp Blue Black will always have a place in my heart and on my shelf though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I really like how J. Herbin flows and shades, Violette Pensee is my pick for purples and Bleu Myosotis for blues. Really want a nice bottle of green, but though I love the way Lierre Sauvage shades like crazy it's slightly too yellow for my tastes. I'm using Kaweco Palm Green right now and it's the perfect shade of green but it doesn't shade much.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Are the pilot metro nibs still meant to be removable? I want to swap a plumix italic nib into my new metro, but I can't seem to get the nib off.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

pienipple posted:

I really like how J. Herbin flows and shades, Violette Pensee is my pick for purples and Bleu Myosotis for blues. Really want a nice bottle of green, but though I love the way Lierre Sauvage shades like crazy it's slightly too yellow for my tastes. I'm using Kaweco Palm Green right now and it's the perfect shade of green but it doesn't shade much.

J. Herbin's Vert Reseda is my favourite green ink. It's a middling dark green but with a very slight hint of blue without being turquoisey. It's a great colour and any pictures I take can't do it justice unfortunately.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

andelazo posted:

Are the pilot metro nibs still meant to be removable? I want to swap a plumix italic nib into my new metro, but I can't seem to get the nib off.

Yeah, mine remove quite easily. Trying taking a bit of paper towel, wrapping it around the nib to get a better grip.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

l to r: Lamy Vista, Hero 359, Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot Kakuno, Sheaffer Viewpoint, Sheaffer No-Nonsense, ballpoint pen with the NYC subway map on it.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 29, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Them's some purty pens. Makes me feel less dorky for having four five pens (three of which are Esterbrooks (two of which are red CX-100s)).

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

pienipple posted:

l to r: Lamy Vista, Hero 359, Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot Kakuno, Sheaffer Viewpoint, Sheaffer No-Nonsense, ballpoint pen with the NYC subway map on it.

Holy crap, thank you for telling me that my mystery pen is a Sheaffer No-Nonsense.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Worst part about J. Herbin bottles (if only because you get there so quickly):

Now, for a c/c pen, this isn't too much of an issue, I can just throw the converter in there, get ink all over my fingers, and call it a day. Or use a syringe, whatever. That'll even work for something like my Pelikan. However, I've just got the Ahab's nib how I like it, and I've superglued the converter on Damnit Nathan, why are your threads so rubbish?; is my only bet for that going to be something slow as hell like feed saturation?

I guess once I clean out the Ahab I can at least try a syringe down the ink channel on the bottom of the feed…

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zenostein posted:

Worst part about J. Herbin bottles (if only because you get there so quickly):

Now, for a c/c pen, this isn't too much of an issue, I can just throw the converter in there, get ink all over my fingers, and call it a day. Or use a syringe, whatever. That'll even work for something like my Pelikan. However, I've just got the Ahab's nib how I like it, and I've superglued the converter on Damnit Nathan, why are your threads so rubbish?; is my only bet for that going to be something slow as hell like feed saturation?

I guess once I clean out the Ahab I can at least try a syringe down the ink channel on the bottom of the feed…

Syringe it into a smaller vial then draw it up into the pen. Super gluing the converter on was a bad idea. The entire pen is designed to be disassembled for cleaning. There are other ways to fix thread issues, with crimping, silicone grease and even Teflon tape which would have made the pen accessible for cleaning.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Syringe it into a smaller vial then draw it up into the pen. Super gluing the converter on was a bad idea. The entire pen is designed to be disassembled for cleaning. There are other ways to fix thread issues, with crimping, silicone grease and even Teflon tape which would have made the pen accessible for cleaning.

I tried all three of those methods, none of which solved the problem. So then I superglued it. Guess I'm not the only one.

Which as you say makes a problem for cleaning it but in the end that won't matter for me because I'm so sick of the stupid thing that I'm not going to ink it up anymore.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is it ok to wash out pens and converters with hard water?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

rio posted:

Is it ok to wash out pens and converters with hard water?

I always have. I mean, how much water is really left to evaporate and leave deposits?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Got my Noodlers American Eel ink today. I didn't get a kooky letter from the owner :/

Some of the guys I work with saw me filling it and we're floored that people still use fountain pens. I reluctantly let them write with it and was horrified at how hard they pressed with it and how the put the nib backwards to the paper. I don't like other people using my pens.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Joe Videogames posted:

Got my Noodlers American Eel ink today. I didn't get a kooky letter from the owner :/

Some of the guys I work with saw me filling it and we're floored that people still use fountain pens. I reluctantly let them write with it and was horrified at how hard they pressed with it and how the put the nib backwards to the paper. I don't like other people using my pens.

:stonk:

The one time I let someone who doesn't know fountain pens use one of my pens, it was just my $20 Cross from Staples, not the Esties, and I warned him that he didn't need to press down like with a ballpoint.

There are pens you can share with people, and then there are pens you only share with pen people.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
This Noodlers lubricating ink smells good too. Strange I can smell an ink, stranger still it smells good. Are there any black Noodlers inks that are lubricating?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

I didn't get a kooky letter from the owner :/

Nathan doesn't send kooky letters, his is a polite crazy.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

FAUXTON posted:

Nathan doesn't send kooky letters, his is a polite crazy.

Some of the inks come with a super folded up piece of paper telling its story. My bottle of Dark Matter had one, and its a pretty cool story - formulated to match the government ink used at Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project.

Joe Videogames - Noodler's Black Eel is Nathan's lubricated black. If you want another brand I've liked Monteverde Black which is also supposed to be lubricated.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I don't like using these elegant pens and inks on lovely composition notebook paper. What are the good papers for journaling, Rhodia and Claire Fontaine?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Rhodia and Clairefontaine are actually the same paper maybe? Rhodia is some of the best paper I've used. For moleskine style journals I like the RW Gibson books they have at target—the paper isn't as good as Rhodia but it's fine if you don't have super wet writing pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I use a Rhodia legal pad at work and love it. At home I like plain old Moleskine notebooks. They're cliche, I suppose, but the paper is really great and has a nice tooth to it.